"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
They won't lose me as a fan if they keep standard cars.

How many anti-standard people have been playing since 1997/1998? I'm willing to bet not many...

And how many anti-standard people really only mess with 600+ pp cars and/or racing tires? Most.

GT should be an encyclopedia, not a "best cars ever" collection.

If GT7 ships with standard cars, I'm not buying it. While I realize this is kind of a ridiculous response to the news, I just can't put up with PD's lack of priorities anymore. They've completely lost their way.

"Standard" cars shouldn't even be a thing in GT anymore, get rid of them in GT7 or face becoming an even bigger laughing stock. Oh, and Suzukastar, I've been playing since 1999, and because of that I am even more anti standard than I would be as I grew up with the first four GT's having QUALITY.

How many anti-standard people have been playing since 1997/1998? I'm willing to bet not many...

What does this mean though? That because someone whom you assume hasn't been with the game since jump street, can't be of the opinion that GT should take on a 'quality > quantity' approach. That's almost as ill-advised as what you're accusing these individuals of.

And how many anti-standard people really only mess with 600+ pp cars and/or racing tires? Most.

GT should be an encyclopedia, not a "best cars ever" collection.

Again, what does this mean and more importantly what does it have to do with the matter at hand? If any number of people aren't pleased with the almost assuredly backwards-facing path Gran Turismo has been on for the past several years, they are well within reason to have such an opinion, regardless of how long they've been playing the game.

And are you suggesting that Gran Turismo's quite literal 'archival' approach in any way benefits the series? Holding onto assets for no other reason than nostalgia is about as foolhardy as it gets.

Again, what does this mean and more importantly what does it have to do with the matter at hand? If any number of people aren't pleased with the almost assuredly backwards-facing path Gran Turismo has been on for the past several years, they are well within reason to have such an opinion, regardless of how long they've been playing the game.

And are you suggesting that Gran Turismo's quite literal 'archival' approach in any way benefits the series? Holding onto assets for no other reason than nostalgia is about as foolhardy as it gets.
I really would like to know how keeping a bunch of cars in the game puts everything on a backwards path.

There are 2 choices PD can make:

Knock half their car list off, which is horribly illogical and pointless. They're not harming the game in any way.

Secondly, they could keep the cars, continue to improve them, and eventually end up all premium.

The argument to get rid of standards completely is ridiculous, when the only other current option is to have a ton of important cars wiped off the list. There's no logical reason for someone to want nothing over something.

Their quality is only improving.

But can PD keep up? It's a small team vs 800 cars to work on. In GT6, there are some standard cars that look better than others, which is pretty ridiculous. That just shows how much they're struggling. And Kaz is considering presenting these cars on the PS4? I hope he has a miracle planned.

Isn't getting worse though.

Their quality is only improving.
Tell me how removing shuffle races, course maker, B-Spec, leaving the 🤬 sounds, etc is improving the series
hsv
Knock half their car list off, which is horribly illogical and pointless. They're not harming the game in any way.
Yeah because it's these models that have ~4000 polygons going up against the 500,000+ polygon giants of PCars, Drive Club, and Forza. How could that possibly harm the image of the game :rolleyes:.

Yeah because it's these models that have ~4000 polygons going up against the 500,000+ giants of PCars, Drive Club, and Forza. How could that possibly harm the image of the game :rolleyes:.
They have 2 choices. Bin, or keep. Getting rid of a ton of hugely important cars will do a lot more harm than just having cars.

Think of them as extra cars, so to speak. We have a number of premiums that can compete and beat the numbers of their rivals.

So many make it sound as though all we have are standards.

But can PD keep up? It's a small team vs 800 cars to work on. In GT6, there are some standard cars that look better than others, which is pretty ridiculous. That just shows how much they're struggling. And Kaz is considering presenting these cars on the PS4? I hope he has a miracle planned.
If they truly are releasing GT7 1-2 years after GT6, I'm sure they do. If in the 3 years of GT6 development not much has seriously changed why would they do that again?

Tell me how removing shuffle races, course maker, B-Spec, leaving the 🤬 sounds, etc is improving the series
It isn't. I was asking how keeping cars makes the series worse.

I could say the same for those on the opposite side of the fence.
More cars, more options.

hsv

It would only be "horribly illogical and pointless" if there is no other way to obtain whatever vehicles are lost in the transition, otherwise it's simply you stating your opinion that you want them to stay under such a guise.

Secondly, they could keep the cars, continue to improve them, and eventually end up all premium.

This, however, is "horribly illogical and pointless" because the only way you're going to get a premium model from a 2004 mesh is to completely remodel it from scratch.

Let's use the XJR-9 from GT5 as a prime example: do you think that was a 'simple' job of just upconverting those same 2004 assets? No, they reacquired the car and built it up from scratch. See the old model still present in GT6 for comparisons.

Oh, wait...

The argument to get rid of standards completely is ridiculous, when the only other current option is to have a ton of important cars wiped off the list. There's no logical reason for someone to want nothing over something.

You keep using illogical and there not being a logical reason in your argument, but you're not offering much in the way of anything remotely conclusive in regards to that. It's logical to keep assets more than 10 years in age over acquiring new assets that won't have to be constantly tinkered with, only to reach the inevitable point where the only solution is to go out and reacquire them anyway?

Which is?

As already stated, having to reacquire the vehicle and model it from scratch.

Last edited:
As already stated, having to reacquire the vehicle and model it from scratch.
I wouldn't really see that as the inevitable, more as the end-goal. They want to keep the amount of cars and improve the quality of the cars. Seems to me like they are keeping the standards, making the important ones premium, the less important ones semi-premium , and eventually moving on to making them all premium. Maybe deleting some of the worst and most useless ones.

Yes, it seems like it would take a long time, but it seems to me that they have a plan instead of just keeping all cars forever. If they know the sounds need to be improved, they probably know the cars need to be improved too.

Am i the only one that likes standards?

I surely don't want cars ( standard ) like this to be removed :)

I'll be fine if all standards are at least like the hakosuka and RUF in quality.

Ascari Full Track_35.jpg

Ascari Full Track_34.jpg

Ascari Full Track_31.jpg

The semi-premium cars are of so much better quality than the true 'standard' cars we see being posted around here. If all of the standard cars were of the RUF quality I doubt there would be as much blowback as we're seeing. It's the idea of seeing those shoddy textures & jagged wheel wells textures that has some people blowing their top. I'm def a little put off by it but I think I'll survive :lol:

They need to cut their losses, have a poll on their site to pick the really important models that are currently standard, and upgrade those voted on as most popular/important to an acceptable quality that we see in the RUF and RS200 models. Everything else, trash it. Really, I think this is the best bet if they HAVE to put standards in GT7.

I know that you guys gonna kil me but, anyway.

NFS Shift 2 has 🤬 gameplay but Im really impressive with interior view and the way where the driver move the head while driving. Its some really nice detail, more realistic. The problem is, the cars bumps a LOT, hate it so much....

Oh god! Shift 2 was TERRIBLE! I hated it. I only played the 1st one because GT5 wasn't out yet

PD needs to cut out Vauxhall altogether. They're rebadged Opels. I don't get it. They were built in the UK by Germans and called Vauxhall in the UK but Opel everywhere else. Why?!

If they get rid of standard cars, I'd get sad, not angry, exploding a discharging all my anger in a website, just sad, because there are a lot standard cars that I enjoy playing with, and when I say a lot, I mean a lot!

Back