TH8 RS Shifter Thread!

• Thread starter sandboxgod
  • 1,971 comments
Carson79
Well it's finally wore out.....The tension screw head. After having to tighten the screw EVERY time I use the shifter the head has wore out. I'd say partly because the hole to access the screw is too small for the proper size screw driver and the fact that the screw head is out of sight, you can't actually see exactly what's going on.......Plus the material it's made from couldn't be that high quality. And I was only able to know for certain by taking it apart . Although I was able to tighten it with some grips this is not a process I want to keep repeating. Don't know what to do next. Is the screw replaceable and would TM supply a replacement. Or does it mean sending the shifter back altogether...... :ouch:

My shifter is also having problems, not the tension screw but the shaft itself is loose to the feel before engaging the gear. Now after a few shifts it wont engage the gear I select. The problem persists even after calibration on PC with the TH8 calibration tool. I've also noticed some rust spotting on the shaft :( I have contacted TM support and am still awaiting a response. I'll update with the outcome.

My shifter is also having problems, not the tension screw but the shaft itself is loose to the feel before engaging the gear. Now after a few shifts it wont engage the gear I select. The problem persists even after calibration on PC with the TH8 calibration tool. I've also noticed some rust spotting on the shaft :( I have contacted TM support and am still awaiting a response. I'll update with the outcome.

When the fan on the t500 gave me problems they were very quick. But I'd say time difference will be all to hold you up..... Good luck

When the fan on the t500 gave me problems they were very quick. But I'd say time difference will be all to hold you up..... Good luck

Yeah, I've alraedy had a great experience with their Tech support, the PCB that holds the flash memory in my T500 died after a few weeks of use and within 2 weeks from my first email I had a brand new wheel and pedals 👍 to their support team, always very quick to respond and very helpful.

Just got my first response asking me to provide a video and pictures, so I will send those once home from work tonight and hopefully it will all be resolved quickly.

Well it's finally wore out.....The tension screw head. After having to tighten the screw EVERY time I use the shifter the head has wore out. I'd say partly because the hole to access the screw is too small for the proper size screw driver and the fact that the screw head is out of sight, you can't actually see exactly what's going on.......Plus the material it's made from couldn't be that high quality. And I was only able to know for certain by taking it apart . Although I was able to tighten it with some grips this is not a process I want to keep repeating. Don't know what to do next. Is the screw replaceable and would TM supply a replacement. Or does it mean sending the shifter back altogether...... :ouch:

Like Carson and BNG, I too, am experiencing this issue with my shifter. I did not like the default tension when I first got the shifter a couple weeks back, so I tightened it with a flat head screwdriver. Then, after a few days of use, when shifting between gates, the shaft felt like it was rubbing against something coarse.

I left it alone and then the rubbing because worse and started to feel like the shaft was getting almost stuck on something inbetween gears.

So...I finally caved in and loosened the tension screw a bit and it made the shifter feel too loose for my taste. It still works(so far) but there is little if any tension when shifting gears, making it feel almost "toy-like". I hope this thing lasts.

Carson, you mentioned that you took the shifter apart....did you see anything about the internals that made it look like there's a way to apply more tension to the shaft when shifting gears?

Like Carson and BNG, I too, am experiencing this issue with my shifter. I did not like the default tension when I first got the shifter a couple weeks back, so I tightened it with a flat head screwdriver. Then, after a few days of use, when shifting between gates, the shaft felt like it was rubbing against something coarse.

I left it alone and then the rubbing because worse and started to feel like the shaft was getting almost stuck on something inbetween gears.

So...I finally caved in and loosened the tension screw a bit and it made the shifter feel too loose for my taste. It still works(so far) but there is little if any tension when shifting gears, making it feel almost "toy-like". I hope this thing lasts.

Carson, you mentioned that you took the shifter apart....did you see anything about the internals that made it look like there's a way to apply more tension to the shaft when shifting gears?

You'd actually be surprised at how little there is inside. I'll be contacting TM today, and they will most probably ask for photo's. I'll post them and keep updating

Locktite?

Would that work...........If I loosened the screw out all the way then applied something.........I've metal to metal glue ....and it is tough.........HMMMMMM lol

Think I'll wait to see how things go with TM first. Then I'll consider the Locktite

:Im falling in Love with my new Analogue Progresive handbrake:sly: at the moment, haven't even tried the H-Shifter
6683904547_56a0c3aeb5_z.jpg

Anyone here loving this mode up Here ^^?

This - FRex Shift+ and DIrt3 = Drive-Gasm:crazy: Dirt-Gasm , is like a new game now with "proper" handbrake
6684381837_a56e163d39_z.jpg

Just testing 2 sequentials together on iracing, still frex felt better, still this is the
Best shifter ever and Handbrake:tup:👍👍

Im glad I jump the gun and got both

Lol yeah

And for the record this thing is so simple inside a small newborn chimp would see how it works. Don't be afraid to take a look. ;)

Lol yeah

And for the record this thing is so simple inside a small newborn chimp would see how it works. Don't be afraid to take a look. ;)

On a plus note the Sparco Knob came today........it fit's great and looks brilliant!

Any update Carson or BNG? Also does it look like the screw itself can be taken out a replaced with a regular screw from the hardware store?

isamu
Any update Carson or BNG? Also does it look like the screw itself can be taken out a replaced with a regular screw from the hardware store?

Sent a picture and video to TM yesterday. It's now the weekend so I imagine I'll be waiting till Monday for a reply.

isamu

Wonder what the screw is actually screwing into. If it has a nut of sorts. This could be changed to a nylon style locking nut.

Also note that Loctite comes in many different formulas. Be careful with it in plastic. It may eat it or make it brittle.

I personally think a silicon on threads may be idea. Still can be removed yet tighten up the threads.

Is TH8shifter support the Dirt3?

I can't set the button in the option menu.

Is there new patch for Th8rs and Dirt3 PS3 version.

I don't think Th8RS is supported by Dirt3 PS3 at the moment, only GT5 is supprted last I heard and only the H- Patern not sequential.

for PC, its another beast, I didn't even want to use the H- PAtern . it's sitting as a Progresive analogue handbrake and use my frex Shift+ as a shifter
Im using a Foam to stop it from e-BRaking fully, like a nixim mod if you will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OmxRNzUlXg&list=UUvYK81podXeP5cQjpErBfsg&index=1&feature=plcp

I heard back from TM yesterday morning. And as expected they want pictures and proof of purchase ................. But my gf bought the shifter as a Christmas present............and has deleted the email........I did tell her at the time to make sure to keep it.....But she's contacted Amazon and we're waiting to hear from them about sending us proof. I'm spending the weekend building the new rig anyway. So I'll take pictures of the screw once i get to the mounting stage. It's possible it could be replaced with something from the hardware store......I'll need to see once I take it apart again.

Wonder what the screw is actually screwing into. If it has a nut of sorts. This could be changed to a nylon style locking nut.

Also note that Loctite comes in many different formulas. Be careful with it in plastic. It may eat it or make it brittle.

I personally think a silicon on threads may be idea. Still can be removed yet tighten up the threads.

Thanks owens, reluctant to use anything to stick it with yet

it's sitting as a Progresive analogue handbrake and use my frex Shift+ as a shifter
Im using a Foam to stop it from e-BRaking fully, like a nixim mod if you will.

Analog mode on TH8 (to emulate handbrake) is great with Dirt 3 and fantastical with Richard Burns Rally 👍
256px-RichardBurnsRallyBox.jpg

Last edited:
By chance I found one in the store yesterday and couldn't resist.
I must say, it's a great build and great feel.
Shifting get's now very close to a real car, only the travel could be a little less.
But still great shifter with amazing quality and a superd addition for every rig.

Only one problem, does anyone have an idea, how to get it running on GT5 with a G25 ???
I'm planning to buy the CSR-E and interfaceone in the future, but for now a solution would be great. I know official support is only with the TM wheel.

THX

It seems interfaceone's wont be around for a while due to products out of stock so I'm wondering if there's another solution. I got my TH8 today and want to use it with my Fanatec :(

It seems interfaceone's wont be around for a while due to products out of stock so I'm wondering if there's another solution. I got my TH8 today and want to use it with my Fanatec :(

I just purchased one a few days ago, he was out of stock in the beginning of January. Told me he was making some more and would put me down for one. Waited a few days and he sent me an invoice after he completed a few more, its now on its way to the USA. Email him and put yourself on his list, he is very easy to work with and what seems to be a fast turn around with stock... The shifter is amazing BTW!

Ok better clear this up. The people who have had interfaces sent out this week enquired about them way before the people that have been told I have no stock. I work on a first come, first serve basis. The people who enquired were told I would reserve them one of my unfinished boards. I finished them this week and offered the interfaces to them.

The people told I have no stock enquired after my unfinished boards were allocated.

Hope that clears up any confusion and just for the record I'm out of stock to everyone.

Cheers

Last edited:
Question regarding the circuit interface PCB from interfaceone:

Can you please make an interface that will allow you to connect the TH8RS direct to the ECCI 7000 power circuit board?

Ok better clear this up. The people who have had interfaces sent out this week enquired about them way before the people that have been told I have no stock. I work on a first come, first serve basis. The people who enquired were told I would reserve them one of my unfinished boards. I finished them this week and offered the interfaces to them.

The people told I have no stock enquired after my unfinished boards were allocated.

Hope that clears up any confusion and just for the record I'm out of stock to everyone.

Cheers

Hope it didn't sound like a diss mate ;)
Patience is a virtue 👍

Analog mode on TH8 (to emulate handbrake) is great with Dirt 3 and fantastical with Richard Burns Rally 👍
256px-RichardBurnsRallyBox.jpg

New to RBR on the PC (I had the XBox version when it first came out, was way too hard) and totally agree with the statement above. Some of the stages, hand brake is not a nice to have, it's a requirement.

...and I am such a plum.
For some reason I thought the shifter would work on GT5 with my CSR lol..so my excitment came crashing down :D
Tomorrow night I'll have to hook my PC up to my rig and give the shifter an outing on C.A.R.S for starters..

Back