TH8 RS Shifter Thread!

• Thread starter sandboxgod
  • 1,971 comments
Dose the interface work with the CSR Elite wheel on the Xbox I want to buy a TH8RS

That's the wonderful thing about interface one it works with everything and works wonderfully. Xbox, ps3, PC all work great. Anything the wheel works with in both H and sequential.

That's the wonderful thing about interface one it works with everything and works wonderfully. Xbox, ps3, PC all work great. Anything the wheel works with in both H and sequential.
I thought the sequential function didn't work on PS3.

Or do I misread your post?

Another question:
Why do you people block 7th gear?

Another question:

Thats the funny part it is only partially functional with the thrustmaster wheel. Why? Who knows, we know gt5 supports sequential shifting. Just not with the offical gt5 wheel.

+1 , btw good mod with the Disc, and I really love longer gear shaft is that too weird?:nervous: I extend mine with a "pole" universal gear knob even for H-Patern. maybe I should drive an excavator sim
Received the DSD plates. Fits well and looks good too but no longer look like a Lamborghini Gallardo or an Audi R8 H-shifter. Most important though, does it work well? Yes, it does!

As long the function is fine ;)
But if the surface would be smooth you could stick a carbon fibre look foil on the plate?!
I think that would look nice, or some matte silver.
But again, as long it works fine ... ;)

Edit:

Btw, I got my confirmation for the interfaceone today.
Everyone who is still thinking, should decide fast, as he said this could be the last batch he makes !!!

Just an update on the Tension screw problem. It isn't one that could be replaced from a Hardware store Imo. The screw it's self does come all the way out but on the other end is a Ball bearing which sit's into a groove at the bottom of the gear stick shaft. Sorry I've no picture's. But since the site change I've not figured out how to upload them. My solution has been to stick the screw in place with Evo stick liquid metal, as it's all metal. Just waiting now to see if it's fixed the problem......................

Edit ....Figured out uploading pictures lol been a productive day off
picture.php

Still a lot to do to finish off. But its all coming together. Just time and money holding me up........Money needed else ware and no spare time.

Last edited:
Received the DSD plates. Fits well and looks good too but no longer look like a Lamborghini Gallardo or an Audi R8 H-shifter. Most important though, does it work well? Yes, it does!

can you put the metal cover back on top of the DSD plates?

It seems the resistance screw is a topic being discussed regularly here at the moment so I thought I would share the document Thrustmaster sent me when I was having problems with my TH8 not selecting gears.

Turned out to be the HALL sensor malfunctioning 'due to damage in transit' according to TM. They replaced it with a new unit and all is good with it now :)

Here is the link to the .pdf

TH8 RS_Check Ballpoint Screw

can you put the metal cover back on top of the DSD plates?
No, if the DSD plate was 4-5mm smaller in diameter it would fit nicely inside the original cover. And no, you can't cut the DSD plate with a pair of scissors and yes, I tried :D. Anyway, I think I will be using the DSD as a backup plate.

Using this homebrew short shift kit now and loving it. Effectively shortened fore aft movement by 10mm and didn't have to use calibration software to change shift trigger points either. I think it would be great if DSD offered a short throw version like this.
short_shift.jpg

Thanks for that link. Very informative.

Last edited:
No worries mate, that's what :gtplanet: is for, sharing these things with our fellow sim racers. It's always my first go to for any information I need 👍 :gtplanet:

A wholehearted and sincere thank you to BNG for posting that pdf file. Very VERY informative!!! Also thanks to Carson79 for the update as well. My shifter is still working OK, no problems. I can live it being slightly looser at the moment. Might consider DSD shifter plates in the future but for right now I'm satisfied with the default plate.

One kind if shifter plate that I *would* buy right away however, is one that had some sort of mechanism between the gates themselves, that would deliver some resistance to the shaft of the shifter in between gears. In other words, something on the plate that would sort of "squeeze" the shaft briefly as it travels through the gate, and then "let it go" right before it locks into gear. That would be my kind of shifter plate :)

No, if the DSD plate was 4-5mm smaller in diameter it would fit nicely inside the original cover. And no, you can't cut the DSD plate with a pair of scissors and yes, I tried :D. Anyway, I think I will be using the DSD as a backup plate.

Using this homebrew short shift kit now and loving it. Effectively shortened fore aft movement by 10mm and didn't have to use calibration software to change shift trigger points either. I think it would be great if DSD offered a short throw version like this.
short_shift.jpg

Thanks for that link. Very informative.

I wonder if Derek Speare would make "short throw shift plates...

A wholehearted and sincere thank you to BNG for posting that pdf file. Very VERY informative!!! Also thanks to Carson79 for the update as well. My shifter is still working OK, no problems. I can live it being slightly looser at the moment. Might consider DSD shifter plates in the future but for right now I'm satisfied with the default plate.

One kind if shifter plate that I *would* buy right away however, is one that had some sort of mechanism between the gates themselves, that would deliver some resistance to the shaft of the shifter in between gears. In other words, something on the plate that would sort of "squeeze" the shaft briefly as it travels through the gate, and then "let it go" right before it locks into gear. That would be my kind of shifter plate :)

No problem at all. Love this site for the very helpful members on it. Yeah that sounds like a good idea

Hello everyone!

First of all, i want to apologize for my poor english skills, it's not my first language :guilty:

I came across this forums while searching for help, maybe you guys can help me? I'm trying to find out how to activate the "Bootloader Method" mentioned in the TH8 RS user's manual, but cannot find how to do it.

I think i'm facing a firmware corruption problem, when i first plugged the shifter it was correctly recognized by Windows, but during the thrustmaster's driver installation, the device "died", and now its not recognized in any way, i even tried with another computer, but nothing... :nervous:

I if just didn't install thrustmaster's software.... i'd be enjoying a whole new level of realism in my beloved iRacing right now... :ouch:

Here's an email I received about the tension screw problem;

Thank you for your E-Mail regarding your TH8 RS Shifter.

We thank you for your reply and for providing us with the required pictures.

Please answer to this email and offer us also a picture of the screw driver that you have used each time to adjust the tension of the screw. Also, when you say that the adjustment needs to be done each time that the shifter is used by you are you referring to the fact that the tension in the shifter fades away while using it in races? You have to tight the screw each time you prepare to use it?

Sound's like the they expect to not have to adjust the screw every time its used. Do any of you guys need to adjust the tension setting each day or do you find it doesn't require adjustment as much or at all?

874972ef2f9e4faeeae74ec492df77f5_41944.jpg

852879f026173335e799623b9b66fc7f_41945.jpg

ca22ad0e1b4576d32ca915edef9a961f_41947.jpg

a36a5884e2fd632ff65b5078778af187_41948.jpg

a36a5884e2fd632ff65b5078778af187_41948.jpg

Last edited:

Another question:

Every function works on the TH8 as long as you're connected to a Fanatec wheel, that's the entire point of the interface one.

Carson, I don't have to set the tension of my TH8 every time. So it's not normal. It should normally stay in position.

Carson, I don't have to set the tension of my TH8 every time. So it's not normal. It should normally stay in position.

Thank's. I'd a feeling that it couldn't be right having to tighten it every time I used it. Just awaiting the out come now.

Thank's. I'd a feeling that it couldn't be right having to tighten it every time I used it. Just awaiting the out come now.
Mine does lose tension. I'd suspect if it was set to original tension you'd probably won't notice it but if tightened, it definitely loses it's tightness after a while. At least, mine does anyway.

If you look at the document in this previous post
It seems the resistance screw is a topic being discussed regularly here at the moment so I thought I would share the document Thrustmaster sent me when I was having problems with my TH8 not selecting gears.

Turned out to be the HALL sensor malfunctioning 'due to damage in transit' according to TM. They replaced it with a new unit and all is good with it now :)

on the last page, you'll see that this "foam" stuff is meant to prevent unscrewing during gameplay, so I guess it depends on how effective this foam stuff works.

Or if enough foam stuff is actually applied when it was manufactured in China by Thrustmaster. ;)

I tightened mine more then the out of the box setting. The only issue I really find is that it doesn't even pop into gear anymore if you tighten it no more then 1/8th of a turn.

I have only just got round to using my TH8 and I just cant get enough of it. I'm waiting on an interfaceone for use with my consoles (I have a Fanatec CSR) but using it for Dirt 2 is immense :drool:
I'm now shopping around for replacement knobs and I definately want to shorten the shaft.
I'm even tempted to get a second one just to leave in sequential mode..it's that slick 👍

just picked up a TH8, but sadly it does not register as a controller on any of my pcs, I have tried installing on 2 win7 32 bit systems and an xp laptop, installed the driver/firmware and nothing. I think I have a DOA unit anyone run into this problem. I noticed a little button on the bottom by the usb cable pushed that but still nothing

bearair
just picked up a TH8, but sadly it does not register as a controller on any of my pcs, I have tried installing on 2 win7 32 bit systems and an xp laptop, installed the driver/firmware and nothing. I think I have a DOA unit anyone run into this problem. I noticed a little button on the bottom by the usb cable pushed that but still nothing

Sounds like a DOA unit to me. When I first hooked it up I installed the drivers and plugged it directly into the PC, the computer said a happy ploink that a device was connected and looking in the game controller panel it registered nicely next to my T500. Which is what should happen.

I have only just got round to using my TH8 and I just cant get enough of it. I'm waiting on an interfaceone for use with my consoles (I have a Fanatec CSR) but using it for Dirt 2 is immense :drool:
I'm now shopping around for replacement knobs and I definately want to shorten the shaft.
I'm even tempted to get a second one just to leave in sequential mode..it's that slick 👍

That's what I did, it's great!

Best is you just need to turn the plate and the H shifter becomes a hand brake for your sequential :D

Back