The Formula 1 calendar development threadFormula 1 

I don't think were getting to race at Keppler 22b yet.
That's just my warped sense of humour showing through.

Yes, it looks like a real "Mickey Mouse" design (and I hate that term so much). It just doesn't look like a suitable design for Formula One racing, I'd imagine the racing wouldn't be too exciting.
The final sector actually looks pretty decent ... even if most of the corners appear to have been built to give the Argentinians the most bang for their buck. Populous were clearly given a small space of land to work with, and had to do the best they could with what they had. Quite a few corners seem to have been added to extend the circuit.

That said, Velociudad Zarate is being built in two phases: a ~3.5km club circuit, with an extension to take it up to 4.7km. For all we know, this is the club circuit, with an extension coming later - although the lands around the circuit are being used, if you look to the left, there's a wide section that looks untended. The owners could simply be wanting to build a circuit to get established, with a view to expanding out in 2014.

Actually, I think it's way too compact at 4.7km. It might be better with an extra kilometre of length, but I think it's just going to feel like a glorified go-kart track. Especially with that chicane and the switchbacks on the far side of the circuit (which feel like they were added to pad the length out, but the designer didn't have much space to work with).

You're right. I've been trying to put my finger on what felt wrong about it to me. It's a track that's been designed to fit the greatest length in the smallest total footprint.

I don't think that's a good constraint to have on your racetrack. If it turns out to be decent, it will be in spite of itself.

Well, the rules for Grade-1 certification state that a circuit must be between 3.5km and 7.0km long, though the FIA discourage new circuits from being closer to the extremes; they feel that 5.5km is an ideal length for a circuit. Zarate is 4.7km at its full length, which makes it comparable to Catalunya, the Nurburgring, Hockenheim, Interlagos and Montreal. Any shorter, however, and I think the FIA would disapprove. So it's not going to be completely agonising, but the layout just looks a little too compact.

corporatesteve
I was just there on vacation. The road conditions are really bad in some sections.

Yes they do. But the spots will be fixed. Some parts just aren't good for a street course

I think that appeared about half an hour after the circuit was announced. That's not a criticism of you for posting it - more of a "Wow, they moved fast" kind of deal.

New Jersey lap on rFactor. Not yet finished though.
Can't wait to try it out!

The track is pretty much finished (probably 75% done) since its using all surface roads but there probably will need to be a repaving in the next 18 months.

I drove the track several weeks ago sans Turn 1, 2, 18, and 19 (due to construction of the paddock?) while on a business trip in NJ. The surface was very smooth throughout the entire proposed course. I don't recall any section that needed resurfacing except for the uphill run between T4 and T5 due to speed humps. On the SPEED press conference as I recall it, NJ mayor Christie even stated no resurfacing was needed.

I drove the track several weeks ago sans Turn 1, 2, 18, and 19 (due to construction of the paddock?) while on a business trip in NJ. The surface was very smooth throughout the entire proposed course. I don't recall any section that needed resurfacing except for the uphill run between T4 and T5 due to speed humps. On the SPEED press conference as I recall it, NJ mayor Christie even stated no resurfacing was needed.

I wasn't aware that Christie mentioned that even. I thought that due to most roads being designed with crowns that only work for that would need to be done.

Blitz24
I wasn't aware that Christie mentioned that even. I thought that due to most roads being designed with crowns that only work for that would need to be done.

Nope, the roads are perfectly fine for racing and the back stretch will be insanely fast once they lift the speed bumps. I say leave the bumps for some extra excitement and challenge lol

Nope, the roads are perfectly fine for racing and the back stretch will be insanely fast once they lift the speed bumps. I say leave the bumps for some extra excitement and challenge lol

Only issue with that is the potential for a driver dying.

How would a Formula 1 get over a speedbump anyway? :lol:

2316968_o.gif

Oi, C'mon people

I watched that race. I know that only drivers from the top 3 teams have won a race this season.

Valencia is supposedly in trouble. Again. This is a translated version of the article:
After listing the battery of measures and cuts, the vice president of the Consell, José Ciscar, has focused on the big events in which the Valencian Government has put a lot of effort in recent years. Ciscar has informed that due to the exceptional situation of crisis the Consell is putting under review these big events, although he has defended their beneficial effects for the Comunidad Valenciana’s economy.

“They [the big events] are not possible in the way we have understood them until now,” he said. In that sense, he confirmed that the Consell has sent a letter to Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of Formula One Management, with whom the Government has a signed contract for the celebration of the Grand Prix in Valencia, to address a possible revision. Ciscar admitted that the Government is in a position of weakness because it can not cancel this contract unilaterally, because it would cause more economic problems in addition to the current ones.

“I still have not read the contract and I don’t know which impact would have the cancellation of the next Grand Prix edition,” he added. The annual fee paid by the Government to Ecclestone in order to have Formula 1 in Valencia equals 21 million euros. Also, Canal 9 [the regional channel that broadcasts F1 in Valencia] pays four million euros a year for the broadcasting rights. The construction of the street circuit cost around a hundred million euros.
However, I'm not reading too much into it. Ever since plans for the European Grand Prix were announced, the race has apparently been in constant jeopardy. It's a bit like the rumours that Toro Rosso will be sold - these stories come up so often that you can almost set your watch by them. I'd say that most of this is fuelled by the fans wanting Valencia to be abandoned and forgotten (thout I still maintain that a few minor tweaks would make it terrific). So I'm going to take this is a large grain of salt. You probably should, too.

The Valencia circuit was a waste of concrete. A multi story car park would have been much more useful.

All they'd have to do is cut out the waterfront so that the cars went flat out from the final corner to the bridge, and extended the back straight so that the three hairpins bcame one, and Valencia would be just fine.

Back