The Formula 1 calendar development threadFormula 1 

2316968_o.gif

winning-shirt.jpg

In actual news, the Frnech Prime Minister still needs to sign off on the return of the French Grand Prix, but the organisers are so confident of it that the race has been given a provisional date of September 1st, 2013. If and when Fillon approves of the deal, it will pave the way for the French and Belgian Grands Prix to alternate between Paul Ricard and Spa from 2013.

In actual news, the Frnech Prime Minister still needs to sign off on the return of the French Grand Prix, but the organisers are so confident of it that the race has been given a provisional date of September 1st, 2013. If and when Fillon approves of the deal, it will pave the way for the French and Belgian Grands Prix to alternate between Paul Ricard and Spa from 2013.

We are going to miss spa some years.

Im off to cry.

Yeah, it could be worse. With all these circuits, is it likely for more deals like this to be made?
Not any time soon. Spa, Suzuka and Singapore are all up for renegotiation this year, and there may be one or two that need to talk in 2013, but most of the calendar is farily well set until 2014-ish. However, Barcelona have said they're looking at their race with a critical eye while Valencia have openly said they want a new deal. So it's possible that they could start alternating, which would open up another calendar berth.

The only other way I can see a spot opening up is if Bahrain does not go ahead. Activists have asked the team ]not to come, while the government has said North Korea is best Korea! and that there is nothing to worry about. But if Bahrain doesn't go ahead, I can't see Bernie or the FIA having much patience with them. They'll be very careful about how they handle the situation, given last year's debacle - though I still think that episode was manipulated by the fans outraged at the potential return to Bahrain (although the FIA needed FOTA's approval to change the calendar mid-season, FOTA needed to hear a proposal from the FIA first; that was the point of the WMSC meeting, but someone jumped the gun and accused the FIA of breaking their own by-laws before they could submit the proposal to FOTA to try and stop the race in Bahrain).

Could still happen anyway.
It could, but the organisers of the Belgian Grand Prix no doubt feel that the race has a better chance of staying on the calendar for longer if they alternate with France and Paul Ricard. Maybe one day they will be able to return to having a race on a yearly basis, but if they continue to have that race on a yearly basis, then it will ultimately collapse. On the other hand, if they alternate with Paul Ricard, they can ride out the problems of the European economy and get to that point where an annual race is viable once more without falling to pieces beforehand.

Or do you think the organisers are doing this because they enjoy screwing the fans?

It could, but the organisers of the Belgian Grand Prix no doubt feel that the race has a better chance of staying on the calendar for longer if they alternate with France and Paul Ricard. Maybe one day they will be able to return to having a race on a yearly basis, but if they continue to have that race on a yearly basis, then it will ultimately collapse. On the other hand, if they alternate with Paul Ricard, they can ride out the problems of the European economy and get to that point where an annual race is viable once more without falling to pieces beforehand.

Or do you think the organisers are doing this because they enjoy screwing the fans?

Yeah, it will last longer alternating with Paul Ricard of course, but it's just prolonging the inevitable I think.

Let's face it, Belgium is a small nation and it is amazing that they have had a GP all these years (although maybe not so amazing when you consider that this is Spa we're talking about). If the sport is to become more global as Bernie wishes, some of the more, "obscure" GPs (in his view, maybe) will have to be dropped. In any case, the circuit is eventually going to either run out of money completely, or be shut down from noise complaints, I think.

All race tracks will die someday, just a question of which ones disappear first. I just don't see a fast and relatively more dangerous track like Spa surviving the 21st century. Especially with the problems it has already.

So, no, I don't think the organizers like screwing the fans over. Just that I don't see there being a Belgian GP for much longer in any case. Pity, really.

Unless, of course, by some crazy circumstances an "anti-environmentalist movement" spreads across the world like wildfire bringing back old and forgotten racetracks of yesteryear.
new5_muttley.gif
:lol:

RTSolvalou
I love Webber's approach with his thoughts on alternating Spa with the Paul Ricard circuit:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/leave-spa-alone-say-formula-one-figures/?v=2&s=1&i=17

Can you really not have Spa each year though? If it has to be that way then fine, But I hate to lose a special circuit even if we gain a not-so-good one, or should I say one that needs to re-prove it's worthiness.

Yeah Mark Webber is right. It's sad that it's probably going to anyway happen though.

But I hate to lose a special circuit

Which is why this is a good deal.

Side Note: Why don't people think before they speak anymore?(Directed towards Webber and Marko for their brain-dead comments in the last week or so)

The French are meeting Bernie today to submit their proposal for reviving the French Grand Prix, alternating with Beligum from 2013.

Couldn't they have picked a more boring track to alternate with? (Like Valencia or something?) Spa is such a great track I couldn't image having to wait two years for the next Belgian GP!

Couldn't they have picked a more boring track to alternate with? (Like Valencia or something?) Spa is such a great track I couldn't image having to wait two years for the next Belgian GP!

While most would agree with you there, there are well documented reasons for Spa having to alternate. One of which is finance related the other is the frequent complaints from the locals.

*facepalm* Why don't people understand this? Spa being Spa does not guarantee it a place on the calendar.

There are only three circuits on the calendar with a contract that needs to be renewed for 2013: Spa, Suzuka and Singapore. Of the three, Spa are the only ones who are willing to alternate. Valencia do not have a contract up for renewal in 2013, and they have said that they will not alternate with Barcelona, so they won't alternate with Paul Ricard.

It's money mate. Spa can't afford to host a Grand Prix every year. They lose too much money on the deal. It's the same for the French. By alternating they hope to be able to be able to afford it.

To be honest, I don't like Paul Ricard. It's very much a run-off area with some kerbs which, while I appreciate is a safety precaution, detracts from the spectacle for me.

Could we not re-introduce a former race and rotate Spa with Imola?

No, because that's not an option. No former race has expressed interest in a return, and Imola is not ready for Formula 1. Likewise, they haven't said anything about a return.

It's either alternating Spa and Paul Ricard, or nothing.

Yeah, I know. It was nothing more than a wishful suggestion.

If it has to be Paul Ricard to save Spa, then it has to be Paul Ricard. I personally would rather rotate with a different course but there's no other option so we'll have to just deal with it. It's better than no Spa at all.

The French Grand Prix was previously held at Paul Ricard, so technically, they are re-introducing a former race to alternate with Spa.

The French Grand Prix was previously held at Paul Ricard, so technically, they are re-introducing a former race to alternate with Spa.

Good point, but I was thinking more consecutively. Last French race was Magny-Cours.

Still would love to go back to Imola, hypothetically.

Back