The Formula 1 calendar development threadFormula 1 

Not shocked at all New York didn't happen looking back.
I don't want to start up a NASCAR vs F1 argument, but let's look at the fact- NASCAR is the biggest American motorsport, and yet they spent 10/15 years trying in vain to get a New York track approved and were constantly shot down. Finally this year they sold the property they were going to build the track on.
If the biggest motorsport in the country can't make it in New York, a niche series (Looking at it from typical American business man viewpoint) would never happen.

I'm watching the Winter Olympics in Sochi, and the local broadcaster has a studio in the media centre in the Olympic Park that looks out over the central medals plaza towards the Bolshoi Ice Dome - in other words, the back half of the incredibly long Turn 3 and the sharp hook that is Turn 4.

It takes a bit of imagination to picture the circuit, but it's going to be absolutely insane through Turn 3. Which should now be known as Gagarin Corner, because of the sustained g-forces the drivers will have to endure.

I'm watching the Winter Olympics in Sochi, and the local broadcaster has a studio in the media centre in the Olympic Park that looks out over the central medals plaza towards the Bolshoi Ice Dome - in other words, the back half of the incredibly long Turn 3 and the sharp hook that is Turn 4.

It takes a bit of imagination to picture the circuit, but it's going to be absolutely insane through Turn 3. Which should now be known as Gagarin Corner, because of the sustained g-forces the drivers will have to endure.
How accurate are the rFactor sims? If they are it doesn't look that scary.

I have no idea. I just know that the corner goes on forever. It reminds me of that long turn at the far end of the old Buenos Aires circuit.

This stuns me too, because these new Tilke tracks are expensive to build not be ran, Turkey, Korea, Partial India (I get that 1), and god please no not Valencia temp track 22 or more turn street circuit.

This stuns me too, because these new Tilke tracks are expensive to build not be ran, Turkey, Korea, Partial India (I get that 1), and god please no not Valencia temp track 22 or more turn street circuit.

I guess it didn't catch my reply to this opening post

The tender for the Grand Prix of Long Beach is up for renewal, with IndyCar's contract expiring next year. The city council has opened the floor to bids, and one of the councillors claims Bernie Ecclestone wrote to them about securing the race for Formula 1 starting in 2016.

The tender for the Grand Prix of Long Beach is up for renewal, with IndyCar's contract expiring next year. The city council has opened the floor to bids, and one of the councillors claims Bernie Ecclestone wrote to them about securing the race for Formula 1 starting in 2016.
It will never happen,the cost to the city will be too much and the fans wont pay 3x more money to see less racing.

Marty-McFly-What.gif

The thought of planning a lengthened version of the street circuit used for the Baku World Challenge did cross my mind last week. And now Bernie's actually considering something along those lines?

We'll have a Caucasus leg of the world championship at this rate. Maybe favouring more races in and around the crossroads of Europe and Asia as opposed to south and east Asia?

The problem Azerbaijan has is that they have literally got more money than they know what to do with. They're oil-rich, and they keep sinking money into infrastructure projects, but still have money to spare. They want to boost their economy and the tourism industry, and have been looking for projects to do just that. They keep bidding for the Olympics - itself an expensive undertaking - and while the IOC have knocked them back, they have commented that the Baku bud has been getting better.

It doesn't surprise me that they would be after Formula 1.

The problem Azerbaijan has is that they have literally got more money than they know what to do with. They're oil-rich, and they keep sinking money into infrastructure projects, but still have money to spare. They want to boost their economy and the tourism industry, and have been looking for projects to do just that. They keep bidding for the Olympics - itself an expensive undertaking - and while the IOC have knocked them back, they have commented that the Baku bud has been getting better.

It doesn't surprise me that they would be after Formula 1.
I don't see a problem with this to be honest. If they use a (modified) version of the track they used for the GT's, it could be awesome. An incredible thing happened there, there was an exciting GT race where stuff happened. obviously, the chicanes would need to be removed or cleaned up a bit for F1 standards, but I wouldn't object to a new street circuit. Look at Singapore. A new street circuit which (helped a bit by being at night) has become a modern classic. If they built a Tilkedrome, however, no. But luckily, Bernie seems to want a Street Circuit. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26461423

Last edited:
They did have a few problems with the GT race last year - the organisers were very keen to show off the city in the best possible light, so they scrubbed all of the rubber off the circuit before the race. With soap. Which froze overnight. Personally, I find the story kind of endearing; the enthusiasm is there, but the understanding is not, so they do something totally innocent, but completely stupid.

The government is very keen to get exposure, to the point where they can subsidise airline tickets for visitors to the point where you can fly from London to Baku for £250. The event was packed last year, and the government could probably subsidise tickets to a Grand Prix as well.

Mexico is still on track for '15, New Jersey is still a possibility for some reason and France is once again on the table only at Magny-Cours instead of Paul Ricard. Bernie is also threatening to bring back India and South Korea.

Link

Bernie is also threatening to bring back India and South Korea.
I wouldn't call it a threat. The plan has always been to bring India back, and no doubt Bernie wants to keep Korea going because he has gone to a lot of trouble to keep them going.

I don't see a problem with this to be honest. If they use a (modified) version of the track they used for the GT's, it could be awesome. An incredible thing happened there, there was an exciting GT race where stuff happened. obviously, the chicanes would need to be removed or cleaned up a bit for F1 standards, but I wouldn't object to a new street circuit. Look at Singapore. A new street circuit which (helped a bit by being at night) has become a modern classic. If they built a Tilkedrome, however, no. But luckily, Bernie seems to want a Street Circuit. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26461423
If they removed the chicanes, the circuit would become long straights linked by two 90 degree corners, two hairpins and a couple very unsafe very fast sweepers. That simply won't happen.

I'd probably rather a new tilkedrome over the chicane-fest that a Baku street circuit promises to be.

Well look, this was the circuit. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6225721

I think that this isn't too bad. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6225722
I made the first chicane a bit more open and significant. i also tried to add something to the straight after the first hairpin. The two silly chicanes at the end of the lap are gone, so I added a new proper one to sort out the roundabout. Of course the pitlane would need to be somewhere else (below the circuit).

Well look, this was the circuit. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6225721

I think that this isn't too bad. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6225722
I made the first chicane a bit more open and significant. i also tried to add something to the straight after the first hairpin. The two silly chicanes at the end of the lap are gone, so I added a new proper one to sort out the roundabout. Of course the pitlane would need to be somewhere else (below the circuit).
I like that long high speed corner at the bottom of the circuit, though the sissies at the FIA would think it is too dangerous and there would have to be god knows how many chicanes there for "safety". I wish they could race on tracks like Argentina with the full long straights and high speed corners, Monza with out the 3 chicanes, spa without the 2 chicanes (and bring back the old layout), and suzuka with out the chicane after 130R.

I like that long high speed corner at the bottom of the circuit, though the sissies at the FIA would think it is too dangerous and there would have to be god knows how many chicanes there for "safety". I wish they could race on tracks like Argentina with the full long straights and high speed corners, Monza with out the 3 chicanes, spa without the 2 chicanes (and bring back the old layout), and suzuka with out the chicane after 130R.
But the racing would be duller as you are just removing the overtaking points. Suzuka is already too dull for F1, so you don't need to remove one of the only places where the cars can overtake.

But the racing would be duller as you are just removing the overtaking points. Suzuka is already too dull for F1, so you don't need to remove one of the only places where the cars can overtake.
Chicanes can create overtaking opportunities and destroy them. Monza is an example how chicanes destroy them. At Monza at the start, the cars go into the chicane in one huge pack, they come out of it in single file spaced out, the other two chicanes even further the gap. If the chicanes were not there, they would be much closer together during the race. The chicane at suzuka does make sense, since there is nowhere to overtake except after 130R so a chicane does work there. I would just love to see those cars roaring through tracks like Monza, Spa, and Suzuka at full speed.

I cant believe how much these Tilke tracks cost to make, and these Countries end up not racing in F1, and no other series can afford to race them, what a shame. No Turkey, Korea, India, and some of these are Tilke's great layouts. What a waste honestly! That means even less chance we might get one of these moderns tracks on a GT6 download like that was going to happen anyways. Seems Kaz is goijng for all the old 50's tracks 1st. If that is the case then Sebring is the last one he needs to get then, and from a drivers perspective its one of the funniest Imo,.

Yes, because that's the first thing we should be worried about when a new race joins the calendar: not "is the circuit any good?", not "are people going to watch the race?", not "is this a long-term addition to the calendar or just as passing fad because the government wants more exposure?"; the thing we should be worried about is whether or not a Japanese video game developer will consider including the circuit as downloadable content in an upcoming release.

Latest Posts

Back