The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
Is it? Well, I'll find out soon. I know so far it has spent less time on the pointless fanservice. It's only Rana who's doing anything in that department so I'm glad it's focused more time on the plot. Plus, Rana isn't even that good looking and barely drives the poor attempt at a love triangle. She should just die already. All the other girls who aren't forcefully delivering the service are doing a better job.

Well I finished it. After understanding that they tried to cram several arcs into 12 episode, I don't think as poorly of the directing. But still, as an anime on its own, the sibling arc was completely meaningless to completing the season. The new characters weren't needed, especially Julia Munberk. The majority of the season was spent creating obstacles for the rebellion party by adding new characters who all eventually lose anyway. Everyone's forgettable... everything just lacks the foundation for a really good standalone story.

@TheCorvette You can get that fig for like 12000 yen on secondhand stores.[/QUOTE]Not sure if serious. Plamoya Japan links their prices to the current market prices in Japan, so how much a figure goes for there is around how much it goes for elsewhere.

And conveniently if a figure seems to have been overproduced, is sold out at usual places like AmiAmi, HobbySearch, Crunchyroll, etc., but still available at a few places at basically clearance prices, then that figure can end up rather cheap. I got that 1/4 scale figure I posted earlier for around 44% off from them, so the figure itself was around $110, EMS shipping was $35. That is just a steal for a 1/4 scale figure, which is one of the main reasons I jumped on it. I did watch a bit of the show beforehand though to make sure I wasn't going to hate the character and wasn't making a mistake.

Last edited:
Not sure if serious. Plamoya Japan links their prices to the current market prices in Japan, so how much a figure goes for there is around how much it goes for elsewhere.
Yes, I am. In fact, there's one now on Mandarake for 12000 yen. The keyword here is "secondhand" or "preowned" so they're, as suggested, preowned and therefore cheaper. Secondhand market is Pandora's box if you don't mind things that's been in someone else's possession. Nice wishlist, btw. :D

One has actually stayed on Mandarake? I assumed stuff disappears there fast. Every time on MFC when I see comments mentioning something is on there, it's already sold out.

Things I would rather spend one hundred euros on than a figurine of an anime or a video game character...

I know, anime or video games!

Seriously, I've never gotten the whole figurine thing. Why does it appeal to people, may I ask?

You'll understand once you see them enough. I used to have the attitude that they were a complete waste of money, and then Animate USA came along, I started seeing figures more often, and then something in me snapped.

Things I would rather spend one hundred euros on than a figurine of an anime or a video game character...

Seriously, I've never gotten the whole figurine thing. Why does it appeal to people, may I ask?
When you become a 'no life' like me, you'd understand.

Nah, jk. I think there are two pleasures in life which people indulge in; one is material possession, and the other is experience. Based on your choices, I conclude that you are like my brother who places importance in the experience. (He spends a lot of time on video games and thinks my figs are a waste of money). I've had enough of video games and am discovering the pleasures of material possession.

Oh and if you liked toys as a kid, you'll understand.

Last edited:

Mmmm, people always float the same question to me and my friends about Warhammer. "Why buy Warhammer? It's expensive, just get an XBone and games instead!"

My main points are often that A, I already have a PC and 360 stocked with games I enjoy playing when I'm in the mood, B, there's not a great amount of games out there I'm really excited about coming up, and C, there's just something nice about owning a nice, well-made centrepiece model. Sure, 90% of the enjoyment of said 40K model comes from having assembled and painted it yourself, so there's some DIY pride there, plus it might have racked up a few stories when playing games with it, so there's that as well.

As far as an Anime figurine, they're often excellently made and detailed, and relate to a character that you might think is really cool. As a result, owning a figurine of Ryuko brandishing her scissor blade, or Spike leaning casually against a wall smoking a cigarette appeals to a fan in you in kind of the same way as a poster, except you can pick it up and look at it in three dimensions.

Roger Dodger

Like any sculpture, I appreciate the work the sculptor puts into extremely delicate/detailed work, anything that looks or was difficult to sculpt, craft or assemble. That said, I am highly selective with the ones I put my money on. Since I already have an attachment to anime, I've only ever went after such figurines. If I had an attachment with other media that came out with figurines of proportional accuracy of the respective character, I'd be all over that too.

I would put money on male characters too, but manga-style illustration doesn't portray realistic male facial features when translated to a 3D media. As such, I've only shown an interest in the female figurines. I love how alluring manga hair can be. To see cool outfits and props in a 3-dimensional form is also fascinating on its own. Flashy poses with the outfits posed in a freeze-frame still also bring about something cool you don't get with just a picture or motion picture.

One has actually stayed on Mandarake? I assumed stuff disappears there fast. Every time on MFC when I see comments mentioning something is on there, it's already sold out.
The rate at which stuff moves in and out of Mandarake is rapid. There's new stuff constantly being added so there is always the chance a particular item got buried through the pages. Searching isn't as easy as a googling either.

Last edited:
42081.jpg

30798.jpg

25092.jpg

144296.jpg

Another reason to love Goodsmile.

Goodsmile focuses way too much on nendos. They had baller static figures back in 2011 and I wish they commissioned more sculptors to do that stuff again. You know you're making something good when people are making counterfeit copies of it.

Anyway, Terror in Resonance 3 was splendid.

Shibazaki's going to be 9 and 12's main antagonist as he's the first to answer any of their riddles. This is episode is also the first episode where the bomb was disarmed. The connection between the nuclear plant incident has already been connected.

Both 9 and Shibazaki's pasts have yet to be revealed, so there is a lot to look forward to in the remaining 8 episodes.

I would buy figures if I had the money to spare. I can see the justification of buying them. A lot of figures look spectacular

Also, where exactly does the money go when you buy them? Does some of the money go to the anime studio?

If the company making the figures is on the production committee of the anime (Which is quite rare), then some of the money goes and helps the series.

For most figures, not much probably goes to the anime studio, especially since most are just simply hired to do what the production committee tells them to do.

I could probably find out for sure where the money goes though if I asked like Justin Sevakis for his next Answerman column.

Anyway, Terror in Resonance 3 was splendid.

For a series that grabbed me within the first 3 minutes or so*, it's still doing an excellent job of keeping me seated.

I'll admit that Nine seems a little too jaunty for my liking, but not exactly annoying. While Twelve is the cold, calm and collected kind of guy I find hard to hate even if his actions and motives for propagating terror remain ambiguous.

Shibazaki also cemented himself as the likeable adversary with a troubled career history in ep 3.

*Same can't be said for Eureka Seven which I started last week. 5 episodes in however and I'm beginning to see why I might warm to it soon.

Last edited:
If the company making the figures is on the production committee of the anime (Which is quite rare), then some of the money goes and helps the series.

For most figures, not much probably goes to the anime studio, especially since most are just simply hired to do what the production committee tells them to do.

I could probably find out for sure where the money goes though if I asked like Justin Sevakis for his next Answerman column.

That makes sense. And I would like to hear what the Answerman might say.
Not in the Nendoroids case because some of them aren't even from anime.

In that case, where will the money go for those figures?

I would buy figures if I had the money to spare. I can see the justification of buying them. A lot of figures look spectacular

Also, where exactly does the money go when you buy them? Does some of the money go to the anime studio?

I imagine it goes like this: figurine company obtains a license (i.e. pays to gain permission) to make products of an existing copyrighted character. Company then gets the figurines produced and any sales made is theirs.

Studio got their money, company can make products which they won't be sued for. Consumers pay said company for their products.

Back