The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
I heard about Gurren Lagann but was also warned that it could get a little OTT. Bebop and Beelzebub were first anime I watched when I started....Watched first half of Bebop in Eng dub and latter half in sub; still can't decide which was better!

It does, but it steadily builds up the ante over the series. The main theme of overcoming adversity no matter the challenge makes it probably my favourite show ever, though, (even outside of Anime.)

What. Have. You. DONE!!!

I haven't been here in ages because I've been so busy with high school.
Oh I swapped Ryuko's head with Houki's. Houki <3.

I can't wait until Satsuki arrives to do the same thing. Houki shall become Student Council President!

Oh also, same goes for Nendoroid Link from The Wind Waker. Houki shall be in The Legend of Zelda!

@JKgo, there are a lot of anime out there. Most of them are terrible, especially in the case of anime produced after 2007 for some reason. They put that "fanservice" rubbish in to try to keep viewers (and therefore keep making a profit) even though the shows they are making are terrible. But then again, all of that gave us Koyomi Arararararagi's wonderful, wonderful abs. :P

BFHandstand.jpg

Oh wait. Yeah.

Anime recommendations. Hmm...

If you can put up with a small amount of rather poorly judged "fanservice" and a few molestation jokes that quite frankly were in rather poor taste, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a great anime, with a witty, comedic script, great characters, an entertaining urban fantasy setting and great animation. Just make sure you watch it in the chronological order.

If you haven't seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, then you should watch Neon Genesis Evangelion. You might love it, you might hate it, but... It's Eva. You kind of have to watch it if you like anime.

I'm going to lump Death Note and Steins;Gate in together as one recommendation because honestly they offer basically the same thing. A well paced sci-fi or fantasy psychological drama thingy with a hammy protagonist. The difference being that Death Note has a better setting and stuff like that while Steins;Gate is tongue in cheek rather than unintentionally funny and doesn't have a terrible second arc. Or an inconsistently characterised main character. OK, Steins;Gate is better than Death Note really, but in turn Death Note doesn't have loads of pointless female characters just for the sake of selling merchandise... Hmm... Yeah. Come back to me later on that. Neither are fanservicey anyway. Unless I forgot what happened in them. I dunno.

Martian Successor Nadesico is generally alright but not outstanding in most respects, except it has the most inspired story I've ever seen in an anime, so... It's worth watching, even if other things are actually much better in most ways.

FLCL is weird and incoherent. It's also a beautifully thought out completely coherent story. It's a work of genius. It just takes several views to appreciate it or to not get a headache while watching.

Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu, is a slapstick cartoon about some military guy going to high school. It's hilarious.

And finally, Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Madoka is an experimental anime, in that it uses interesting or unusual animation techniques to take a story that otherwise might be fairly good, but nothing great, and turn it into something truly outstanding.

Overall, I recommend that you don't watch anime and watch old Cartoon Network shows instead. They're far superior. Unless it's Ghibli. Or Gainax. Those are far superior to most things.

@JKgo, there are a lot of anime out there. Most of them are terrible, especially in the case of anime produced after 2007 for some reason. They put that "fanservice" rubbish in to try to keep viewers (and therefore keep making a profit) even though the shows they are making are terrible. But then again, all of that gave us Koyomi Arararararagi's wonderful, wonderful abs. :P

BFHandstand.jpg

Oh wait. Yeah.

Anime recommendations. Hmm...

If you can put up with a small amount of rather poorly judged "fanservice" and a few molestation jokes that quite frankly were in rather poor taste, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a great anime, with a witty, comedic script, great characters, an entertaining urban fantasy setting and great animation. Just make sure you watch it in the chronological order.

If you haven't seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, then you should watch Neon Genesis Evangelion. You might love it, you might hate it, but... It's Eva. You kind of have to watch it if you like anime.

I'm going to lump Death Note and Steins;Gate in together as one recommendation because honestly they offer basically the same thing. A well paced sci-fi or fantasy psychological drama thingy with a hammy protagonist. The difference being that Death Note has a better setting and stuff like that while Steins;Gate is tongue in cheek rather than unintentionally funny and doesn't have a terrible second arc. Or an inconsistently characterised main character. OK, Steins;Gate is better than Death Note really, but in turn Death Note doesn't have loads of pointless female characters just for the sake of selling merchandise... Hmm... Yeah. Come back to me later on that. Neither are fanservicey anyway. Unless I forgot what happened in them. I dunno.

Martian Successor Nadesico is generally alright but not outstanding in most respects, except it has the most inspired story I've ever seen in an anime, so... It's worth watching, even if other things are actually much better in most ways.

FLCL is weird and incoherent. It's also a beautifully thought out completely coherent story. It's a work of genius. It just takes several views to appreciate it or to not get a headache while watching.

Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu, is a slapstick cartoon about some military guy going to high school. It's hilarious.

And finally, Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Madoka is an experimental anime, in that it uses interesting or unusual animation techniques to take a story that otherwise might be fairly good, but nothing great, and turn it into something truly outstanding.

Overall, I recommend that you don't watch anime and watch old Cartoon Network shows instead. They're far superior. Unless it's Ghibli. Or Gainax. Those are far superior to most things.
Thanks I got DVD set of Full Metal Panic season 1 and season 2 and haven't touched yet (life happens). I was planning to binge them on a Sunday or something... What's this Madoka Magica? Can't seem to find it, even on one of these dodgy streaming sites...

Roger, Death Note doesn't even have female characters worth mentioning. Tumblr would have a love/hate relationship with it - love, for the potential yaoi ships, but hate, for the meek women in it.

@JKgo If you're in the US, Madoka's on Crunchyroll, while in The Netherlands it's on Daisuki. I don't know about its avaliability other countries. Please do not discuss "dodgy streaming sites", it's against the AUP.

Anyway, for a brief taster of Meduka, watch this:

@DK, Death Note has Misa, who is useless, and the female death god, who is a plot device. This therefore automatically makes it better than 99% of other entertainment works on the grounds of having more than one named female character who isn't a family member of one of the male protagonists.

@Roger the Horse Madoka Magica was anything but experimental. If you look at all of Shaft's recent work, the animation and art are usually almost as eccentric/ abstract.

NGE is definitely not a good gateway. While it is great and the characters are what make it so deep, it is unlike any other anime I have ever seen. Rather creepy.

Ghibli, Gainax, and Shaft. The three studios which I truly respect.

I've seen a fair bit of Shaft's other stuff, and I'd say that Madoka is their most experimental work. Not necessarily stylistically, but more in terms of how it uses its animation and other pretentious stuff like that.

Can you tell that I took Film Studies?

I've seen a fair bit of Shaft's other stuff, and I'd say that Madoka is their most experimental work. Not necessarily stylistically, but more in terms of how it uses its animation and other pretentious stuff like that.

Can you tell that I took Film Studies?
I see. Good point there

No, I just assume that you're a relatively smart person just like most GTPlanet users.

That's why I started with it, obviously.
You're an oddball. At least in my eyes :P

I saw that episode where Unit 01's dummy system tore apart Shinji's friend.

I was three years old :(

Oh, I think that everybody in this thread will like this:

Last edited:
If Shaft is bad at anything, it's inappropriate sexualisation of all of their characters. (Outside of Madoka Magica)

[/thread]

-> ...
Thanks I got DVD set of Full Metal Panic season 1 and season 2 and haven't touched yet (life happens). I was planning to binge them on a Sunday or something... What's this Madoka Magica? Can't seem to find it, even on one of these dodgy streaming sites...
^ Don't forget the best FMP of them all, the FMP!? Fumoffu! You will laugh hard out of it!

-> Madoka is decent, but not to the point that is a bit over-hyped a bit...

BT -> Few days ago, I've started 3 eps/night of TTGL (finally)! I do see the resemblance towards to Triggers Kill La Kill, but for what it is I saw some inconsistencies the way they animate 1 episode...(see below)

If Gainax is bad at anything, it's budget responsibility and consistency.
Check out episode 4 of Gurren Lagann.
^ Yes, yes, yes!!! That episode really annoyed the **** out of me!! Such a hideous botch job of an episode, it even made some bad western cartoons look like it came from a Miyazaki factory!

Last edited:
@JKgo If you're in the US, Madoka's on Crunchyroll, while in The Netherlands it's on Daisuki. I don't know about its avaliability other countries. Please do not discuss "dodgy streaming sites", it's against the AUP.

Anyway, for a brief taster of Meduka, watch this:

@DK, Death Note has Misa, who is useless, and the female death god, who is a plot device. This therefore automatically makes it better than 99% of other entertainment works on the grounds of having more than one named female character who isn't a family member of one of the male protagonists.

I am in South Africa currently and there's no Crunchroll app for PS3 here....That looks actually very intriguing I'll def check this out.

-> ...

^ Don't forget the best FMP of them all, the FMP!? Fumoffu! You will laugh hard out of it!

-> Madoka is decent, but not to the point that is a bit over-hyped a bit...

BT -> Few days ago, I've started 3 eps/night of TTGL (finally)! I do see the resemblance towards to Triggers Kill La Kill, but for what it is I saw some inconsistencies the way they animate 1 episode...
Wait what? This Fumoffu isn't in the box?Ahhhhhhhh darn it IT'S NOT HERE!!!! What now do I have to hunt this thing down? Sheesh...........

Still the same company and their budget problems show like a sore thumb in NGE.
As I've heard, episode 4 of Gurren Lagann was SUPPOSED to look like that. They intentionally made QUALITY.

Not every instance of QUALITY is a case of budget problems (More like lack of time. Talent+Time>>>>Budget). As I heard, the controversial tower episode of Birdy the Mighty: Decode 02 was intentionally animated crappy to show just how mad the characters became. They did touch things up a bit on the DVD's however.

More on QUALITY here.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2014-01-26
----------------
Under The Dog now needs $180,000 to go. Pledge dammit!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/under-the-dog

@TheCorvette That was probably not the case. Here's the full story that I heard:
The director of the project decided to bring in a guest to lead the project for an episode. Already looking bad...
The episode is animated according to his instruction, and the show turns out to be pretty crappy. The entire animating staff hates the old director, and as a result the old director steps down.

That's just what I heard. But I'll need concrete proof for anything else.

EDIT: Under The Dog looks mediocre to me, you honestly shouldn't use crowdsourcing. It's unreliable and not fair to the other people who had to go through taking out loans and countless meetings with corporate staff to acquire funding.

EDIT: Under The Dog looks mediocre to me, you honestly shouldn't use crowdsourcing. It's unreliable and not fair to the other people who had to go through taking out loans and countless meetings with corporate staff to acquire funding.
It has worked before however. Kick-Heart, Time of Eve Blu-ray (And you wouldn't believe how hard they are trying to make an incredible international BD. They've asked the people that pledged countless questions, and lots have volunteered to help out on various things. So many updates too.), Little Witch Academia to name a few.

@TheCorvette I am aware that it does work. But gambling does work as a method of making money compared to getting a real desk job, doesn't it? Same outlook here. Just because it might work for some that have the right formula doesn't mean it'll work for others. And by no means is it the right way to do it in my eyes.

I can't remember the non-fighting animation in Gurren Lagann really anymore. It's been 5 years since I last saw the show in full. Toonami re-airing it though is helping. Oh how I love that show.

Latest Posts

Back