The Metal ThreadMusic 

Just picked up Metallica's new effort, Hardwired ... to Self-Destruct.

I know that Metallica have made it really easy to criticise them in the recent past. St. Anger was a well-intentioned mess, and the less said about Lulu, the better. Death Magnetic was a bright spot, and the Beyond Magnetic EP suggested that this was no accident. But I did feel that there was something missing from the Magnetic compilation: the lyrical complexity of The Black Album, Load and ReLoad. I know that the sound was scrubbed down to something radio-friendly, but I felt that it was also a period where James Hetfield did some of his best writing. That was sacrificed for St. Anger and Death Magnetic as the band tried to find their sound again, but now it's back - Hardwired ... to Self-Destruct has the sound and the lyrical quality.

The best way to describe it is a noir album. Noir, as a genre, tries to address issues that apply equally to the individual or society as a whole. It doesn't suggest solutions; it just forces the audience to confront them. I really see that quality in this album, especially in "Atlas, Rise!" and "Now That We're Dead".

Been listening to Slipknot recently. From all the albums in order, and I must say the original members brought out such a dark atmosphere in the songs. "Killers are Quiet" on Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat. album is the type of song you listen to when you're strolling in the dark outside. And yes, I have the original Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat. CD. If there is any SlipKnot fans in here you'll most likely know what I'm on about.
image.jpeg

Calling all metal singers. @Skython, you in particular will want to know about this guy....... the mighty Jørn Lande. There's plenty to appreciate about the song itself, but his vocals are just off the charts.

To ram it home, a look and listen in the studio - where he stands with arms crossed, proceeds to come in at the wrong time, quickly takes another breath and nonchalantly belts out a pitch perfect, sublimely powerful take regardless. What a voice.

Calling all metal singers. @Skython, you in particular will want to know about this guy....... the mighty Jørn Lande. There's plenty to appreciate about the song itself, but his vocals are just off the charts.

To ram it home, a look and listen in the studio - where he stands with arms crossed, proceeds to come in at the wrong time, quickly takes another breath and nonchalantly belts out a pitch perfect, sublimely powerful take regardless. What a voice.

It is true, he is such a good singer. I was so happy to see him come back for Avantasia's new album. I've never heard him make a genuine mistake, in this earlier stuff you can definitely hear more of a resemblance to Ronnie James Dio. The same can be said for Russell Allen, who sounded like he was trying to be Dio in early Symphony X albums. It's voices like this that make me question the road I took my own voice down.

It is true, he is such a good singer. I was so happy to see him come back for Avantasia's new album. I've never heard him make a genuine mistake, in this earlier stuff you can definitely hear more of a resemblance to Ronnie James Dio. The same can be said for Russell Allen, who sounded like he was trying to be Dio in early Symphony X albums. It's voices like this that make me question the road I took my own voice down.
Clean vs "gravelly"? To an extent it's just down to how we were born, but there can be access points.

Fittingly named, Skid Row's Breakin' Down features the most exposed components for creating "gravel", with a break in the voice, that I have come across. I'm naturally very "all in" operatically clean or "all in" growl, but have managed to apply the science of it to get some success with points in between. Throat singing can also help to open new possibilities with under and over tones that can have referred effects on metal vocals.

I seem to have a bit of a thing for underground bands, so here ya go. :)

Xandria - their style is pretty heavily reminiscent of Nightwish, who happens to be one of my top five favorite bands of all time (among many). This new musical direction started, from what I can tell, with their 2012 album Neverworld's End, and it's continued with their latest effort, Sacrificium.

Tarot - Speaking of Nightwish, this is Nightwish male lead signer Marco Hietala's original band, now little more than a side project apparently since the runaway success he's experienced with NW. Since Crows Fly Black in 2006, they've taken a decidedly more science-fiction-inspired route compared to their earlier works, and the result is some of the best damn space metal you'll ever hear.

Has anyone listened to Battle Beast? Their first few albums were just sort of generic-ish power metal, but their upcoming album is shaping up to be something great.

They add absolutely nothing new to the table, but what a voice! Though she does seem kind of scary. :lol:

...Considered posting this in the "What have you been listening to" thread, but then... well.

I got the 2014 album Bloodstone & Diamonds by Machine Head, and I think it's quite the masterpiece. A tragedy that I've found it so late. Of the songs, I can't help but hum the chorus of this song over and over in my head.

Even though I might just dox myself by posting this here ... it's too good to not let you enjoy it as well.

Let's continue with another local band! Well when I say local band, they're not that close to where I live, but somebody I met in the town where I study is a member of the band. No, not me, before somebody accuses me of self-promotion. :lol:
Definitely give their other tracks a go as well, very well-made Pagan metal if you ask me.

I hope you don't mind that the track is not in English. If not, I'd be bummed if this got removed for that reason, but oh well, what can you do.

My heart just sank like a stone as I found out that Warrel Dane died of a heart attack. On the exact same date as our great man Chuck Schuldiner, no less.

Far from industry heavyweights, but very much metal community heavyweights, Sanctuary and Nevermore rode so much taller for having his unique and amazing voice.

The song I first heard on a local metal radio show in 1988, and my introduction to Sanctuary and Mr. Dane.....

A song that is widely considered as Nevermore's pinnacle.....

My heart just sank like a stone as I found out that Warrel Dane died of a heart attack. On the exact same date as our great man Chuck Schuldiner, no less.

Far from industry heavyweights, but very much metal community heavyweights, Sanctuary and Nevermore rode so much taller for having his unique and amazing voice.

The song I first heard on a local metal radio show in 1988, and my introduction to Sanctuary and Mr. Dane.....

A song that is widely considered as Nevermore's pinnacle.....

Very sad news, indeed.

I was very lucky to have been able to watch Nevermore live, back in 2001. They were touring for the Dead Heart in a Dead World album, which also happens to be my favourite.

Warrel's voice and presence on stage is something I'll never forget.
Goodbye.

A week or two ago, I learned that Opeth's Mikael Akerfeldt was in a supergroup called Bloodbath, and now I can't stop listening to their work.

A week or two ago, I learned that Opeth's Mikael Akerfeldt was in a supergroup called Bloodbath, and now I can't stop listening to their work.

Welcome to 2000! :D

Also, I wonder if you know that the album you posted (Nightmares Made Flesh) is one of the few that actually does not feature Mikael Åkerfeldt on the vocals...? :P

Welcome to 2000! :D

Also, I wonder if you know that the album you posted (Nightmares Made Flesh) is one of the few that actually does not feature Mikael Åkerfeldt on the vocals...? :P
I wasn't aware, I just discovered them recently so my bad. :cheers:

I wasn't aware, I just discovered them recently so my bad. :cheers:
If you like Mikael Åkerfeldt's vocals (like I do), I'd recommend you to look at Dan Swanö's work as well.

From the more heavy stuff like Edge of Sanity to the more rock/progressive Nightingale, there's a lot of good music from him. The vocals, too, are similar and one Swanö's highlights. 👍

Back