The Minivan Thread *AKA The Toyota Sienna Thread*

ImpliedFacePalm.jpg

Toyota really must be desperate in its older age.

Last edited:
That swagger wagon video is the best thing Toyota's done in over 15 years.

JCE

Well, I guess that's just a difference of opinion. I wasn't very amused by it.

A lot of people wouldn't want to be seen driving a minivan and think SUV's are cooler.
I think minivans are cool. What do you guys think?

A lot of people wouldn't want to be seen driving a minivan and think SUV's are cooler.
I think minivans are cool. What do you guys think?

I have driven a couple(Dodge Caravan, Olds Silhouette), I would rather drive an SUV anyday. It has nothing to do with coolness, more of a "Minivans have a real "floaty" feeling to them".:yuck:

Not really a surprise to see companies putting more focus on SUV's.

I have driven a couple(Dodge Caravan, Olds Silhouette), I would rather drive an SUV anyday. It has nothing to do with coolness, more of a "Minivans have a real "floaty" feeling to them".:yuck:

Not really a surprise to see companies putting more focus on SUV's.

I own a Dodge Sport minivan and a MB E30 4 Matic wagon and I still like doing long road trips in my minivan over my wagon. I think SUV's ride is bouncy, so I'll take floaty over bouncy anytime. Although I don't think my minivan handles like what you just described.

Last edited:
While I'll probably never buy a minivan, new Sienna is hot. In fact, no mini van have made me hotter than the new Sienna since the second gen Odyssey, and Chevy Astro. 👍

JCE

Let's see, the Celica was killed off in 2006, so this is the first hint of anything cool within Toyota since then.

And coolest minivan ever? JDM Honda Odyssey.

jdm-honda-odyssey2.jpg

In the end, I want an '89 Caravan Turbo. Or a JDM Odyssey.

I've seen this thing in the Metal, a couple times at auto shows and at an outdoor mall. It could blend into the background. It's just another ugly Toyota...no "swagger" about it.

Meh. Nothing special. The Honda Stream and Mazda 5 are much more up my street.

2007-honda-stream-silver.jpg

mazda11.jpg

Or any old (or new, for that matter) VW Transporter/Kombi/Caravelle, or indeed the current Renault Espace:

renault_espace_xx.jpg

Toyota also gets points deducted for producing one of the world's most hateful minivans, the Innova. They're everywhere in the UAE, most of them are taxis, and they're awful things. It's genuinely the motoring equivalent of a tumble dryer. Which incidentally is what the engine sounds like.

toyota-innova6.jpg

That video has already been done.

Yea, the Sienna looks like every other minivan out there, and I'm willing to bet good money that it drives like one too. A marketing campaign can't change facts.

More like 76-140 depending on what engine you got. Yes, you could even get a K-car with a Snail if you wanted.

-> I am damn impressed on what Toyoda's Toyota has done with the Sienna. But unfortunately, other manufacturers outside the US offer mini/microvans/tall/big wagons that will make this cool Sienna seems like "just another Camry". :indiff:

Let's see, the Celica was killed off in 2006, so this is the first hint of anything cool within Toyota since then.

And coolest minivan ever? JDM Honda Odyssey.
=Pic=
^ Word.

picture.php

(My RA3 "JDM" -older- Odyssey {in the middle})

:sly:

Meh. Nothing special. The Honda Stream and Mazda 5 are much more up my street.

=pics=

Or any old (or new, for that matter) VW Transporter/Kombi/Caravelle, or indeed the current Renault Espace:

=pic=

Toyota also gets points deducted for producing one of the world's most hateful minivans, the Innova. They're everywhere in the UAE, most of them are taxis, and they're awful things. It's genuinely the motoring equivalent of a tumble dryer. Which incidentally is what the engine sounds like.

=pic=
Mazda-> The Mazda 5 is a good buy and the only 'sporty' microvan here in the US. But unfortunately, it seats only 6. It Mazda US offers a 7-seat option, this would be my next new car purchase. :indiff:

Honda-> Here is proof that those idiots at American Honda does not pay attention with its fanbase and released the pointless Crosstour instead.

VW-> I do understand VW NA about cutting budget with the release of its Pentastar Routan. But, most people knows that a VW van is quirky, tall, and narrow. They've could've released the Sharan (for a short time) instead. :indiff:

Espace-> Yea I agree, but the chances of Renault's return to the US is slim to nill.

Innova-> Also known as the Philippines' favorite "wagon". I kills me to say it, but these people movers are pretty impressive in real life implications compared to the Venza. The Innova is a Utility Wagon, and should not be under the same category as the vehicles above.

BT-> Here are my best picks:

Subaru Exiga - With this, Subaru wasted their time with the Tribeca.
2009_subaru_exiga_4.jpg

Subaru_Exiga_2_L_700.jpg

Honda *Latitude*/JDM Odyssey - According to many people that I've talked to, guys at Autoblog/Jalopnik, people on OdyClub.com, and in VTEC.net; people are longing for the return of the NEW 1st-Gen Odyssey. A lot of people are disgruntled when American Honda released the completely pointless and idiotic Crosstour.
21_l.jpg

JDM+09+Honda+Odyssey+Clooney+Ad+3.jpg

Ford S-Max - Oh well, this one is coming soon in the US to kick everyones butt.
Ford-S-Max.jpg

smax%20lead.JPG

Honda Stream - Need a Civic Wagovan? Here it is, the definitive competitor to the Rondo and Mazda5.
2007-honda-stream-silver.jpg

stream_df-01.jpg

Mazda MPV - Need a minivan to compete the newer, sportier Sienna? Look no further.
mpv.jpg

^ All I can do is be dissapointed. Why oh why! :grumpy:

Last edited:
Lot of the examples that's being brought up are tall station wagons though. The new Sienna is a bus!

a6m5-> Most modern USDM minivans are Buses, in fact they can be closely resemble to the Utility Vans on neighboring countries. But these USDM vans are more bulk than utility. :indiff:

Hyundai H-1/Starex
P5264220.JPG

Toyota Lite Ace Noah
Noah.jpg

Nissan Elgrand
2002-nissan-elgrand_460x0w.jpg

:indiff:

a6m5-> Most modern USDM minivans are Buses, in fact they can be closely resemble to the Utility Vans on neighboring countries. But these USDM vans are more bulk than utility. :indiff:
I'm just saying any "vans" around Mazda 5 in size aren't really in the same class the Sienna or the American Odyssey's in. One is closer to actual vans, while other is closer to a station wagon.

My mom had the first big Odyssey back in the day. That thing handled great, and it was fast for what it was. It was definitely bulk, but the execution impressed me. 👍

Back