The Minivan Thread *AKA The Toyota Sienna Thread*

I still wish they would have made this:

out-n-about-dodge-caravan-r-t-goes-shopping.jpg

👍👍👍

Turbo_Caravan___jpg_667x667_q100.jpg

You'll have to look close - VERY close - to see what's awesome about it.

Lol, we had an '89 Caravan back in the day. A nice light brown with real honest-to-goodness imitation fake wood paneling. The thing ate transmissions and head gaskets every 6-12 months though.

Lots of good memories with that thing.

As for the new ones, we rented a '10 Chrysler T&C down in Daytona and I was impressed.

It really is a shame that the minivan is so uncool here in America. Some of those things that were posted high up are pretty awesome. I could see myself liking a souped-up, kitted out minivan.

Innova-> Also known as the Philippines' favorite "wagon". I kills me to say it, but these people movers are pretty impressive in real life implications compared to the Venza. The Innova is a Utility Wagon, and should not be under the same category as the vehicles above.

Meh. They're all just "people carriers". The difference in size doesn't make it any less hateful. I've travelled in the back of enough of them as taxis to know that I dislike them greatly, and for some inexplicable reason they all seem to be fitted with a really loud exhaust that's as annoying as you'd expect a 2.7 four-cylinder with auto transmission to sound when it accelerates.

^ They do have some cheapish craftmanship (built only for the 3rd-World). I'm so curious of driving the Innova (gasoline model) here in the US. :dopey:

It's not the craftsmanship, its the fact that they've had a complete character lobotomy.

I have a lot of time for good, honest vehicles. Cars like the Tata Nano or the new Dacia Duster. But the Innova just seems like an excuse to merge all the worst characteristics of mass-market budget cars and then pass it off as some sort of lifestyle vehicle. I mean, just look at the awful twaddle written about it:

Redefining the concept of personal space, the Innova is the first 8-seater passenger car in the Toyota range. With all the creature comforts of a passenger car and spaciousness of a people carrier, it is a unique vehicle offering the best of both worlds.

Powered by a 2.7 litre VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing – intelligent) engine, the Innova offers an exhilarating and highly satisfying experience. Distinctive sophisticated styling with a sporty edge, quality, power and luxury, combine to give the Innova its strong all-round personality. A dual air-conditioning system, audio system with MP3 compatible CD player, plus six speakers strategically positioned throughout the cabin, thoughtfully designed storage space and versatile seat configuration, deliver superb interior conditions for passengers and drivers alike.

The Innova’s extremely quiet ride can be attributed to the suspension which has been carefully designed and tuned to provide excellent stability control along with driver and passenger comfort. 15” aluminum wheels add a personal touch to the stylish exterior design while the smooth flowing interior lines heighten the spacious layout.

Integrated active and passive safety measures meet the highest of standards on the new Innova, making lengthy journeys with large families and young children a safe and enjoyable experience.

From here. Bold section highlighted for extra LOLWUT. I mean, we're talking about a car that looks like this:

innova2.jpg

Without the marketing guff it might just be a passable car.

audio system with MP3 compatible CD player, plus six speakers strategically positioned throughout the cabin

Strategically? D'you think they got out a giant map of the interior and moved little flags around until they were satisfied?

Didn't they also make crazier, AWD, jacked-up models for the Japanese market? I know Mitsubishi did it with the Delica (which is well known for being incredibly unstable), I'm fairly sure there was a similar Toyota attempt.

Didn't they also make crazier, AWD, jacked-up models for the Japanese market? I know Mitsubishi did it with the Delica (which is well known for being incredibly unstable), I'm fairly sure there was a similar Toyota attempt.
There were 4wd and narrower versions.
Lucida Emina
toyota-lucida-mpv-diesel_1081186.jpg

I believe the size difference was to do with dimensions-based Tax bands in Japan.

My mum still drives the family Previa, it is still the family workhourse than can tow, carry massive volumes of junk and carry 8 people (in relative comfort, though some mobility required to get in back row.)

I have a suspicion there are more Estimas floating around Britain than Previas. Same goes with Mitsubishi Pajeros vs Shoguns, I reckon.

-> ...
It's not the craftsmanship, its the fact that they've had a complete character lobotomy.

I have a lot of time for good, honest vehicles. Cars like the Tata Nano or the new Dacia Duster. But the Innova just seems like an excuse to merge all the worst characteristics of mass-market budget cars and then pass it off as some sort of lifestyle vehicle. I mean, just look at the awful twaddle written about it:

From here. Bold section highlighted for extra LOLWUT. I mean, we're talking about a car that looks like this:

=Pic=

Without the marketing guff it might just be a passable car.
^ Those PR guys are focusing to these people who are:

- Uneducated (in cars)
- "Cars are like appliences"
- "Just needs a Point A to B car"
- People who hates driving

:indiff:

Woh Woh, no love for the First Gen Toyota Previa!?

=Pic=

MR layout baby!
^ Oh, I like The Egg a LOT.

2qvb8m8-1.jpg

👍

^ There were many JDM 4x4 boxes scattered in many places. Although they're a rare find:

L300 Delica
1992DelicaStarwagonDieselModified01_01.jpg

L400 Delica
856421541387e3d0b96039ee581589d5.jpg

Toyota LiteAce/TownAce
8113194_1.jpg
82690001.jpg

^ And in K-Land (S. Korea), Hyundai had the similar and popular H1/Starex:

The Delica's Korean Cousin
HR_40848.jpg

starex.jpg

:dopey:

-> ...

^ Those PR guys are focusing to these people who are:

- Uneducated (in cars)
- "Cars are like appliences"
- "Just needs a Point A to B car"
- People who hates driving

:indiff:

Well, they're trying to appeal to people for whom a car is an appliance by making it sound more exciting than it is, a bit like saying an ice maker on the front of a fridge will change your life.

Regardless of the marketing speak though, the car is still awful. Mainly because it is an "appliance" car.

Delicas are relatively common here. There was a massive grey import market for them and they became abit of a poor-mans surf van in my area.

Yeah, there's quite a few about. And I reckon Jon was right, there are a lot of Japanese import Previas/Estimas too, and Pajeros.

Chevy Astro/ GMC Safari FTW!!!

98_chevrolet_astro_lt_awd.jpg

RWD or AWD, Reliable and torquey V6 (can be fairly easily swapped for a V8). Not car-based like the others here so they can actually tow and haul quite a bit.

They're also terribly unrefined and horrendous to drive. I know this. Lots of space though.

RWD or AWD, Reliable and torquey V6 (can be fairly easily swapped for a V8). Not car-based like the others here so they can actually tow and haul quite a bit.

It has the 4.3L in it, that engine sucks and yes I have a lot of experience with it.

It has the 4.3L in it, that engine sucks and yes I have a lot of experience with it.

So do I. The 4.3 is great. It's a little short on horsepower (It's an ancient design) but makes alot of torque. Exactly what is needed in a truck.

Can't beat it for reliability. Ours is approaching 190k miles. It has been run with low oil, no oil, and has survived 4 engine fires. Yet it keeps on going.

And mine started burning and leaking oil at 60,000 miles. And yes I kept it changed religiously. The 4.3L sucked in terms of reliability. And yes it was immensely down on power and the torque was only so-so.

Sounds like you got a lemon, Joey. I haven't heard a lot of people having problems with the 4.3s. In fact, usually when it's a problem with a truck, it's either an auto transmission, an electronic niggle, or they went mudding or offroading and broke something.

The lifted vans remind me, somehow, of Rollin' Thunder, or the Tamiya Lunch Box. ((both of which were fullsize dodges, and the latter likely based on the former, but whatever...))

Oil leaks = unreliable? There are alot of "unreliable" vehicles on the road besides Astro vans then.

Ours loses some between changes, but then we change the oil every 5-10k miles.

Tranny is the only problem, our van is on it's second tranny. It has led a hard life though so it's kind of expected.

I don't quite find the Sienna that exciting. Probably another one of those normal soccer mom vans. Perfect for those occasions.

Oil leaks = unreliable? There are alot of "unreliable" vehicles on the road besides Astro vans then.

Ours loses some between changes, but then we change the oil every 5-10k miles.

Tranny is the only problem, our van is on it's second tranny. It has led a hard life though so it's kind of expected.

I've never experienced a vehicle that leaked oil at 60,000 miles before. Maybe 100k+ but never under that. Before I sold it the thing was drinking oil. That's unacceptable. If you are OK with craptastic build quality that allows that then whatever, have fun drive 🤬 vehicles. After the experience with the Blazer I will never own another GM vehicle ever again.

The transmission was awful too, as was the rear diff, the electronics, and most of all the horn. I've never has so many problems with a device that is so rarely used.

American car fanboys are always amusing...and yes I've been there.

I've never experienced a vehicle that leaked oil at 60,000 miles before. Maybe 100k+ but never under that. Before I sold it the thing was drinking oil. That's unacceptable. If you are OK with craptastic build quality that allows that then whatever, have fun drive 🤬 vehicles. After the experience with the Blazer I will never own another GM vehicle ever again.

The transmission was awful too, as was the rear diff, the electronics, and most of all the horn. I've never has so many problems with a device that is so rarely used.

American car fanboys are always amusing...and yes I've been there.

If it was seriously "drinking" oil at 60k miles, something was definately wrong with your car.

Ours doesn't "drink" oil. Maybe burns/leaks a little but nothing huge. Build quality is ok at best, but everything works. It's a 13 year old Chevy.

It's amusing arguing quality and reliability with someone who drives a Mini.

Latest Posts

Back