The Walking Dead

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 65 comments

Scaff

United Kingdom
He/Him
ScaffUK
Quite surprised no one has started this one.

Five episode series on PS3 (and then 360) with the demo and first episode out on PS3 now. The remaining four will be released over the next four months.

Its a mix of point and click combined with QTE's, however that makes it sound horrible and it actually works rather well.

The atmosphere, voice acting, pace and story are all good. The demo was strong enough for me to go with the season pass (all five episodes for a slightly reduced price with a theme thrown in).

Scaff

Must admit I played the demo not expecting much after the remarks my friends made about other games by TellTale. I got the demo and I'm seriously thinking about the season pass as the atmosphere and voice acting are great. It too a while to get used to the controls but once you do the frantic zombie scenes are more so and add to the game.

I still haven't started watching the TV programme yet, but I'm interested. Would I gain much in terms of immersion or involvement if I played this either alongside or after watching the series? I'm all for cross-media storytelling but if it's completely standalone I'll be less interested, and given that I haven't watched it before I'm not sure if I'd answer my own question by playing the demo.

Every time I see my brother, though, he seems more insistent that I get on with watching it than the last time I saw him, so it must be good. Then again he does prefer Trek to Wars so we don't always see eye to eye...

I downloaded the demo and really liked it. I like the "cartoon" graphics and the QTE's. I'm thinking buy the season pass.

The game is set in the same area as the comic books and TV series and (in the first episode anyway) has a character in common. However its totally standalone in terms of 'needing to know' from the Comic/TV, but will add to its once you see the others, which I would urge you to do as well.

I'm a big fan of both the TV series and comic book and this adds to it while keeping the atmosphere and tone extremely well, the cell-shaded look fits perfectly.

Scaff

how tricky are the puzzles? I heard the new monkey island one was really easy so didn't buy it, but I also don't want something as hard as discworld.

Cool! Will have to check it out! My wife and I are addicted to the series (and zombies). If they had this for the ipad, my wife would go nuts over it.

I'm tempted to get this, but then it might get released for PSN+ members for free, as did Back To The Future, which was from the same developers.
I might give the demo a try as the reports here are all in favour of it.

Saw this out on PSN this week and was very tempted. Just had a brief look at a walkthrough on UT and they seem to have captured the "comic book" feel very well and I was impressed with how the sound was used to crank up tension at the key moments. Just don't know whether I can do point and click anymore (which is why I still haven't tried BTTF yet either even though both games look to have captured the spirit of the franchises well).

I've bought this and already completed it. It was really good and interactive for a point and select game, plus you can use WASD to walk around in non-cutscenes. The voice acting is extremely good, and the characters seem to develop, like the actual show. Also, Hershel and Glenn are the only characters that appear from the show in the game, but Glenn (highlight following text for a spoiler) leaves at the end of the episode, with the group staying at a hotel and reinforcing it, and Hershel only has one son at his farm and he is eaten by zombies. Hershel then tells the group to leave and they do, leaving Hershel at the farm by himself. The end gives a sneak peak into episode 2, and it looks even better.

It took me about 3 and a half hours, but that's because I actually watched the cutscenes and explorered areas. It could be finished in 45 minutes for some, depending on the skill level you have and the decisions you make.

I can't wait for the next episodes!

Last edited:
Episode 2 screenshots.
346qqur.jpg

15hkdh5.jpg

5u3f9k.jpg

kby39k.jpg

Having not seen the comic or TV show, does the game still stand up? I guess I will try the demo but wondered if they all compliment each other, and as a stand-alone game it might be good but not great? I do like point & click adventures though, but usually because they are sedate, and with zombies and quick time events, this seems anything but :)

I quit playing games awhile back, but when I saw this thread, I had to try the demo. Was it good? As good as the deal that gives you $20 for the whole season(5 episodes), which I ended up buying.

I am a zombie-junkie, and love the Walking Dead TV series, though I've only seen the first season on Blu-ray. My brother has told me long time ago how I need to check out the original comic book. Now I'm enjoying this game, I might have to.

My minor complaint with this game is that stupid "do this with your analog sticks, then push this...". I HATE that. I'd rather play action-style game, or just idly do nothing, but not that. :crazy:

Definitely going to get this once all 5 episodes are released.

Episode 3: Long Road Ahead Trailer

Episode 3: Long Road Ahead Preview

I received the first two episodes free from PS+ and just picked up episode three earlier today. Wow, my wife and I love this game. It is very gripping, the choices have weight and matter, and the story is excellent. The control scheme takes a little getting used to but don't let it put you off because you will miss out on a gem if you do. We've only watched Season One of the show and never read the books but right now we would put the game ahead of the show. Tell Tale Games has really accomplished something with this already and we are only 60% through it. One of the best games of the year IMO.

Spagetti69
Quick question. Obviously it's an X rated game but is there adult language?

There is quite a bit of swearing. It's more natural though than something like Killzone 2 if that makes sense.

I don't even remember swearing in it. I guess my ears are more of deaf-ears than virgin-ears. :dopey:

I think I'm still in middle of the second episode. I should pick it back up this week!

The Walking Dead: The Game Retail Bundle Details

2jc8p5k.jpg

IGN
Telltale has now confirmed to IGN that the Collector’s Edition of The Walking Dead: The Game will be a GameStop exclusive and is available only to customers who pre-order. As seen below, the set will be available for $69.99 on December 4th and includes:

-A disc containing all five episodes of the game

-The Walking Dead Compendium One (which normally retails for $59.99 and includes the first 48 issues) with exclusive Charlie Adlard cover art

-A Collector’s Edition box featuring Charlie Adlard artwork

Telltale notes that the Collector’s Edition will be “extremely limited” and is for pre-orders only, and that the version of the Compendium included in the box will not be sold outside of this set. Separately, a standard edition of The Walking Dead: The Game will hit stores on December 4th for $29.99. Both editions will be available on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Telltale also confirmed that the digital release of episode 5, No Time Left, is expected in November

There is a good news :D

you get the episodes plus the original walking dead comics when you pre order this game for the Xbox360..... Sounds like a interesting deal for me!

Just finished Episode 5; Wow that was emotional.

I wonder if Season 2 will be a continuation of the first one. I really want to see what happens to Clementine -
and those people on the hill that she saw at the end.

I think that *SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER DO NOT QUOTE ME OR HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW*

those people on the hill were Omid and Christa. The silhouettes looked like a man and a woman.

Holy mother that was a sad episode.

Retail release delayed to Dec. 11 (NA)

Examiner
The retail release of “The Walking Dead” video game from Telltale Games has been delayed, according to Amazon and other retailers.

The disc collection has been moved back a week from its original launch date of Dec. 4. As a result, “The Walking Dead” video game is now expected to come out for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 in North America on Dec. 11.

Back