Thrustmaster T300RS Racing Wheel Thread

Are the stock pedals good enough or do you use something else?

• Yes, stock pedals are good enough

Votes: 111 33.9%
  • No, I use Thrustmaster TP3A or third-party pedals

Votes: 216 66.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Has anyone else experienced the 'clunking/knocking' noises coming from inside the motor assembly or have I just had the crappiest luck? I've returned two of these now both with the same issue. Maybe us here in NZ just got sent a dud batch?

Has anyone else experienced the 'clunking/knocking' noises coming from inside the motor assembly or have I just had the crappiest luck? I've returned two of these now both with the same issue. Maybe us here in NZ just got sent a dud batch?
Yes, it seems like some of the first batch across EU had that problem too. If you read back a few pages you can see that a direct Thrustmaster repair of one of those wheels highlighted a component error in the motor assembly which had to be replaced. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a specific batch, and your supplier appears to have multiple wheels from that batch....

Yes, it seems like some of the first batch across EU had that problem too. If you read back a few pages you can see that a direct Thrustmaster repair of one of those wheels highlighted a component error in the motor assembly which had to be replaced. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a specific batch, and your supplier appears to have multiple wheels from that batch....
I've opted for the refund for now anyway until they sell through/send the bad stock back to Thrustmaster. With the postponement of Project Cars, I'm in no hurry for one just at the moment. In saying that, Driveclub is a ton better with a wheel....

Hi,

I finally got some time to take few photos of my setup. I have to confirm that Next Level Wheel Stand is really rock solid! It won't move at all even with really heavy breaking. Even the shifter holder is very sturdy.

Now I have to wait for CPX adapter and then I will finally exchange the stock T300 pedals for CSR Elites. And after that I will also figure out the wires :)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

I've opted for the refund for now anyway until they sell through/send the bad stock back to Thrustmaster. With the postponement of Project Cars, I'm in no hurry for one just at the moment. In saying that, Driveclub is a ton better with a wheel....

Yes, mine had the same issue. The "clunks" going from the wheel base. TM support exchanged the motor gear in the base. Those clunks are gone now, but still there are some minor "clicks" which they did not repair. But I can't feel it at all, and as I mostly playing Driveclub with on-ear headphones, I can even hear it :)

I think one of the reviews on Amazon pointed at the problem being a potentiometer incorrectly set. If I remember, the guy took the pedals apart and played around with it. i'll try and find a link and come back.
Just to add Amazon and DPD have been brilliant with my return/refund.

That would be great mate, depending on what options I get from my retailer/thrustmaster I would be happy to open the pedal box and try to fix the Issue. Not before speaking to the store and thrustmaster of course because that'll certainly void the warranty.

I do plan to upgrade the pedal set anyway so don't mind having a stab and failing because I can 'throw them in the bin' eventually. Best outcome would be a voucher towards my wheel that I can use on the t3pa's(?) or equivalent. Can I use any pedal set with the T300 or does it have to be specific to work on ps3/4?

Tree's!

Clubsports on the ps4?! I'm sold! Any functionality issues considering the adapter?

That would be great mate, depending on what options I get from my retailer/thrustmaster I would be happy to open the pedal box and try to fix the Issue. Not before speaking to the store and thrustmaster of course because that'll certainly void the warranty.

I do plan to upgrade the pedal set anyway so don't mind having a stab and failing because I can 'throw them in the bin' eventually. Best outcome would be a voucher towards my wheel that I can use on the t3pa's(?) or equivalent. Can I use any pedal set with the T300 or does it have to be specific to work on ps3/4?

Tree's!

Clubsports on the ps4?! I'm sold! Any functionality issues considering the adapter?

You can use T3PA - of course, Tř00RS pedals, or you can use Fanatec Clubsports V2 or CSR Elites - with CPX adapter, or I think you can use pedals from Logitech G27 with other special adapter

Only issue with the CPX is you will have to wait ages to get it :)

I do plan to upgrade the pedal set anyway so don't mind having a stab and failing because I can 'throw them in the bin' eventually.

Ok, so I decided to get the T300RS on Friday as it went down to £230 on Friday at Amazon and I wanted a wheel to use with my PS4.

I also found my pedals had big deadzones - almost 50% on the brake pedal.

I just took them apart, adjusted the potentiometers so they were further round when initially engaged by the pedals and that has sorted it out. Only a tiny deadzone at the top of the break pedal now.

That will keep me going until I get my CPX adapter to use my CSR Elite pedals with the wheel.

A few pointers if you're going to do the same:
0 - do so at your own risk - you may void your warranty/make things worse. Although, this is pretty easy and I didnt spot any warranty void stickers as part of this process.
1 - watch out for the screw under the cable entry point when taking them apart, it's easy to miss
2 - when you adjust the pots, place the pedal base on the ground and test that the full throw of the pedal is still able to adjust the pot position
3 - you'll need to take the metal pedal faces off before dismantling the base
4 - when putting it back together, you'll need to make sure you get the facia past the second spring on the brake pedal so it doesn't snag
5 - as per Captain Roh's suggestion, it is a good idea to use the pc driver utility to test your adjustments as you go

Apart from that all seems good now!

Coming from a fanatec csr with elite pedals, I would say:

1 - the t300 is a great feeling wheel, much smoother, quieter and more rugged built
2 - there is plenty of power in the feedback
3 - the pedals are nowhere near as good as the csr elites but better than those on my old Logitech dfgt
4 - driveclub force feedback is ok but not brilliant - I'm looking forward to project cars to really see what the wheel is capable of
5 - the power cable is a decent length but the usb cable is too short. It just gets past the end of my wheelstand when routed correctly so unless your console is sitting on the floor right at the end of your stand you're going to need a USB extension lead
6 - on that topic, I bought an extension lead and slim usb 3 hub from Amazon so I can use my th8rs with the wheel. Both leads are similar lengths so it works out ok

just a shame it isn't xbone compatible too but I think I'll just have to restrict my consoles this generation - probably no bad thing really... ;-)

Last edited:
Does anyone know where to order the T3PA pedal set in the US? Amazon is out of stock and I don't see them available on any other website.

Ok, so I decided to get the T300RS on Friday as it went down to £230 on Friday at Amazon and I wanted a wheel to use with my PS4.

I also found my pedals had big deadzones - almost 50% on the brake pedal.

I just took them apart, adjusted the potentiometers so they were further round when initially engaged by the pedals and that has sorted it out. Only a tiny deadzone at the top of the break pedal now.

That will keep me going until I get my CPX adapter to use my CSR Elite pedals with the wheel.

A few pointers if you're going to do the same:
1 - watch out for the screw under the cable entry point when taking them apart, it's easy to miss
2 - when you adjust the pots, place the pedal base on the ground and test that the full throw of the pedal is still able to adjust the pot position
3 - you'll need to take the metal pedal faces off before dismantling the base
4 - when putting it back together, you'll need to make sure you get the facia past the second spring on the brake pedal so it doesn't snag

Apart from that all seems good now!

Coming from a fanatec csr with elite pedals, I would say:

1 - the t300 is a great feeling wheel, much smoother, quieter and more rugged built
2 - there is plenty of power in the feedback
3 - the pedals are nowhere near as good as the csr elites but better than those on my old Logitech dfgt
4 - driveclub force feedback is ok but not brilliant - I'm looking forward to project cars to really see what the wheel is capable of

just a shame it isn't xbone compatible too but I think I'll just have to restrict my consoles this generation - probably no bad thing really... ;-)

Excellent post mate, really thank you very much! I was hoping so much that this was just a slight oversight in the assembly process and you've confirmed it's exactly that. I think this fix should be added to the opening post, give people the option and knowledge for an easy self repair or the choice to go through a refund process. I know which one I choose!

Again thank you so much for taking the time to write this you've helped me a lot. I will keep my ear to the ground for CPX news and possibly forgoe the T3PA's and wait for clubsports :)

I'll message again to let you know how I get on 👍

Hey guys. It's late here, very late! But I just wanted to pop in and let you know how I got on.

I planned to give the pedals a once over and see about where to start, turns out it was obvious and looked quite basic. Infact it was basic, here's a list of tools I used;

Screwdriver.

That's it! Seriously it's so simple I would not hesitate to recommend this fix over trying to get a refund to anyone. Be warned however, opening the pedals could void your warranty and you could potentially do more damage. Be careful. And be patient!!

The job itself is very simple but its kind of fiddley and
there's a little trial and error involved. I didn't take pictures as I didn't intend to finish the job, so if you're struggling post up your own and I will annotate.

Instructions are solid, the only points I would add is to have the thrustmaster firmware updater installed on your laptop/pc and have your wheel plugged in and on the properties page where you calibrate your wheel. Use it to find the sweet spot for your potentiometers while you test and before you rebuild the pedals.

After I found the 'bite point' for the potentiometer setting in the thrustmaster software I booted up GT6 and tested before I tightened up the screwdriver and eventually settled down for the nIght.

I will sleep easy knowing I have a fully functioning T300 instead of an X amount of days/weeks/months refund process with no wheel.

Whoop!! :D

Hey guys. It's late here, very late! But I just wanted to pop in and let you know how I got on.

I planned to give the pedals a once over and see about where to start, turns out it was obvious and looked quite basic. Infact it was basic, here's a list of tools I used;

Screwdriver.

That's it! Seriously it's so simple I would not hesitate to recommend this fix over trying to get a refund to anyone. Be warned however, opening the pedals could void your warranty and you could potentially do more damage. Be careful. And be patient!!

The job itself is very simple but its kind of fiddley and
there's a little trial and error involved. I didn't take pictures as I didn't intend to finish the job, so if you're struggling post up your own and I will annotate.

Instructions are solid, the only points I would add is to have the thrustmaster firmware updater installed on your laptop/pc and have your wheel plugged in and on the properties page where you calibrate your wheel. Use it to find the sweet spot for your potentiometers while you test and before you rebuild the pedals.

After I found the 'bite point' for the potentiometer setting in the thrustmaster software I booted up GT6 and tested before I tightened up the screwdriver and eventually settled down for the nIght.

I will sleep easy knowing I have a fully functioning T300 instead of an X amount of days/weeks/months refund process with no wheel.

Be warned however, opening the pedals could void your warranty and you could potentially do more damage. Be careful. And be patient!!

Nice one, glad it worked for you too :cheers:

Good extra points as well, I'll add them into my list in case someone misses them.

Cheers

Guys,

I bought the t300rs at amazon.uk (220v)

Can you please confirm that is 50-60hz ? I believe it it is placed at the bottom.

I'm from Brazil,and here is 220v 60hz, if it is just 50hz will be a big problem for me.

Thank you

Unfortunately my T300 has developed an annoying clicking sound while turning right /clockwise.... is fine when going left and am pretty sure it didn't do it when I got it new 2 weeks ago! The Sound is coming from the base unit around the centre position. It can't be felt but is heard and not something that I am happy with so will contact Shopto on Monday and see about a replacement as not happy about sending it for repair only 2 weeks in. The wheel has probably had no more than 3-4 hours total use:boggled:

Anyone else having anything similar?

My wheel cam back just today from Guillemont HQ (RMA - clunk).

First of all, the packaging - what were they thinking? They completely stuffed the box with schredded paper snippets. That might be a good padding, but lots of tiny snippets made it also into the bag with the base in it. You can imagine how the base looked...

Well, the clunk is gone. I removed the cover, because it seems to prevent the fan from starting at all.
So with regards to the video above by jay.s, I think I know what the source for the noise is, because I noticed it too, but not that intense. It is the belt inside the base. When the wheel turns to the right, the belt moves back on the upper white toothed wheel and is grinding against its edge. I tried to move the belt more to the front, but it only takes one full rotation the right and the belt is back against the edge, producing some clicking/grinding noise.

I don't know if that happened before I returned the wheel, but I think I would have noticed that sound. Luckily, it isn't as loud as for jay.s, but I bet that is the source on his base too.

Edit,
the reason for the noise to come up only when rotating to the right, is that the belt moves back into the center of that toothed wheel, as soon as the wheel rotates to the left. I would open the base and check the belt. Maybe there is some sort of imperfection on the edge of the belt that is grinding.

incredible how bad are this t300s.. thrustmaster is really such a bad manufacturer. 4 friends, 4 wheel failures and also here on the forum almost everyone have experienced problems. damn..

All this really is shocking, this is why one company shouldn't have the monopoly of PS4 wheels.
There clearly not up to the job, most places out of stock and if you are lucky to get one, most have problems.

Have the t500s had any problems?

The T500RS had a few teething troubles back in 2011, which Thrustmaster corrected in a number of minor revisions. The GT6 branded model appears to be solid.

Nobody is going to defend Thrustmaster on the various issues which are popping up. Personally I'm surprised because the T300 seems to be have more teething troubles than the TX despite sharing most internals. I'd guess Thrustmaster is either cutting corners on production QA to get enough stock out, or have switched suppliers and are having QA issues.

I'm sure once the initial launch rush has settled down quality will also improve. In a way it's good that there's only Driveclub on PS4, it gives TM time to get production stabilized prior to the more serious sim releases. As always the early adopters pay the price. But it has ever been so in sim wheel land, and will probably continue to be like this for years to come.

First of all, the packaging - what were they thinking? They completely stuffed the box with schredded paper snippets. That might be a good padding, but lots of tiny snippets made it also into the bag with the base in it. You can imagine how the base looked...

Well, the clunk is gone. I removed the cover, because it seems to prevent the fan from starting at all.
So with regards to the video above by jay.s, I think I know what the source for the noise is, because I noticed it too, but not that intense. It is the belt inside the base. When the wheel turns to the right, the belt moves back on the upper white toothed wheel and is grinding against its edge. I tried to move the belt more to the front, but it only takes one full rotation the right and the belt is back against the edge, producing some clicking/grinding noise.

I don't know if that happened before I returned the wheel, but I think I would have noticed that sound. Luckily, it isn't as loud as for jay.s, but I bet that is the source on his base too.

Edit,
the reason for the noise to come up only when rotating to the right, is that the belt moves back into the center of that toothed wheel, as soon as the wheel rotates to the left. I would open the base and check the belt. Maybe there is some sort of imperfection on the edge of the belt that is grinding.

Ah cheers for the info regarding belts.... I am very tempted to whip off the cover and see if anything is loose/broken but am worried about warranty issues as I may need to return the bloody thing :scared:

I noticed a similar sound in Jirin_cz 2nd video posted a few pages back and seems to be when going right ...

Apart from this clicking issue I agree it is still a Brilliant wheel and works perfectly when in game just needs these clicking-clonking-knocking sounds sorted out and will be a Perfect wheel then . I had no such Issues with my Logitech G25 which cost half the price and see me through 5 years and was still going strong when I sold it...:lol:

Edit,

Could you please make a video when the wheel base cover is removed? To be honest I am trying to focus my ears but on @jay.s video I cant hear anything but motor itself

@jay.s

I was worried too about removing the cover, but is easy and I did it before the RMA so there is no problem with warranty, as long as you don't brake anything. Take a look at this site, is explains the steps for removing the cover (its for T500, but works the same for T300).

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/13161-thrustmaster-tx-fan-replacement/

@jirin_cz

I am sorry, but I only have an old crappy mobile to record videos. It was already barely enough for the Thrustmaster support when they wanted a video of my clunk problem. I had to manually edit the video afterwards to make the clunk noise halfway audible. The slight grinding noise I have is so subtle, that you couldn't hear it on a video. It is really very subtle, but I noticed it right away, because it makes a difference if the wheel turns left or right in the initial calibration process. But I don't notice it during driving. It is that subtle, even with the cover removed. I hope it stays that way.

Regarding the general mood about sounds from the T300rs, we have to keep in mind that this wheel is really quiet in general, especially during driving (as long as you are not on a drifting spree with 1080°... ;)). This makes it a lot easier to notice some sound anomalies that you probably wouldn't even hear on louder wheels. When my T300 was away for the RMA, I had to revert back to my old G25. And boy is that a noise-monster coming from the T300. I actually removed it immediately and decided to just quit driving until my T300 would return.

@jay.s

I was worried too about removing the cover, but is easy and I did it before the RMA so there is no problem with warranty, as long as you don't brake anything. Take a look at this site, is explains the steps for removing the cover (its for T500, but works the same for T300).

@jirin_cz

I am sorry, but I only have an old crappy mobile to record videos. It was already barely enough for the Thrustmaster support when they wanted a video of my clunk problem. I had to manually edit the video afterwards to make the clunk noise halfway audible. The slight grinding noise I have is so subtle, that you couldn't hear it on a video. It is really very subtle, but I noticed it right away, because it makes a difference if the wheel turns left or right in the initial calibration process. But I don't notice it during driving. It is that subtle, even with the cover removed. I hope it stays that way.

Ok, so what about the photo? :) As I wrote before TM support removed the major clunks but did not remove minor clicks. You are right its quite wheel. Maybe one day I will decide I wont have my wheel clicking and send it to RMA again but for now I can live with it :)

Last edited:
Could you please make a video when the wheel base cover is removed? To be honest I am trying to focus my ears but on @jay.s video I cant hear anything but motor itself

If you can't hear it properly try using a set of headphones but it is very easy to hear imo... the sound you are listening for is the constant clicking while the wheel spins clockwise ( to right ) , it is silent when going anticlockwise ( left ). Yes you can hear the motor but it should not be clicking just a smooth whirring sound which is expected.

Your own video here ( Thrustmaster T300RS Racing Wheel Thread ) 2nd one has a very similar click but is a lot slower as you are doing it by hand, it happens after the clonk in your video and again while going clockwise/right.

@jay.s

@jirin_cz

Cheers for that , will take a look see what I find:D

The T500RS had a few teething troubles back in 2011, which Thrustmaster corrected in a number of minor revisions. The GT6 branded model appears to be solid.

Nobody is going to defend Thrustmaster on the various issues which are popping up. Personally I'm surprised because the T300 seems to be have more teething troubles than the TX despite sharing most internals. I'd guess Thrustmaster is either cutting corners on production QA to get enough stock out, or have switched suppliers and are having QA issues.

I'm sure once the initial launch rush has settled down quality will also improve. In a way it's good that there's only Driveclub on PS4, it gives TM time to get production stabilized prior to the more serious sim releases. As always the early adopters pay the price. But it has ever been so in sim wheel land, and will probably continue to be like this for years to come.

So for someone looking for a wheel just for the PS4 would the T500 be a safer bet to buy, is there much difference FFB wise between the T500 an 300?
The static paddle is a down side but am sure i would adapt to that, on the plus side the pedals look way better.

Its just looking like a lottery when buying a 300 if you get a good one, crazy.
Has anyone bought a T300 in the UK with no problems, if so were from?

So for someone looking for a wheel just for the PS4 would the T500 be a safer bet to buy, is there much difference FFB wise between the T500 an 300?
The static paddle is a down side but am sure i would adapt to that, on the plus side the pedals look way better.

Its just looking like a lottery when buying a 300 if you get a good one, crazy.
Has anyone bought a T300 in the UK with no problems, if so were from?

Apparently a good comparison ( http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/company/thrustmaster-racing-wheel-finder ) but I would disagree with the part that says : T300: the most precise , smooth, Silent and responsive Thrustmaster wheel .... as mine clearly isn't Silent:lol:

Back