TOCA 3. you know. the ps2 version.

• Thread starter kinigitt
  • 1,059 comments
I was attempting this on Hard difficulty with pro handling and damage with a controller. I eventually decided to just use the arcade physics; no need to torture myself.

I also race on line.My handle is gglaze96.With the Canadian flag.As for the F1 set up ,I have yet been able to get it right.

I don't think I ever met you, kart racer, but since I'm in Europe, when I usually leave at night (my limit is 1h30 AM) there are lots of americans and canadians in the available sessions.

In fact, a few nights before this one I spent a couple of hours racing with four canadians ("Billissimo", "wrong-game", "mar71" and someone else whose nick I can't remember now).

This is a great game to play online 👍

I will not be on for a few days as my router has gone on the fritz.I'm ussally on line on the weekends.Sometimes till 5 am.Central time.:)

hey amemyarz, or anyone for that matter, there's still some of us who race off-line if you want to join in.

not as much as racing on line probably, but some of us don't have a choice!

we do the races on our own, then post the times to see how we did compared to each other.

the full DTM season, in regular sim, and V8 season, in pro-sim, are underway right now if you want to join in!

So far, the game's awesome (I'm up to the Caterham race in World Tour), even though I've had to start certain races over several times just to get a podium finish. I've never raced around a real track before, unless you count go-karts, but the physics seem more realistic than GT4's, if a tad bit too oversteery. In some cases, the graphics are even a bit better. Surprisingly, I find the open-wheel cars, especially the Formula 1000s, a lot of fun. The engine noises and damage in this game are also superb. Oh, and the rallies? INCREDIBLE!!! I've only done one so far, but it was a fairly long point-to-point course mostly made up of tarmac. Oh my... it was just awesome.

that's what I love about it - it just FEELS like driving a real car to me.

I can sense oversteer and understeer through the steering wheel.

You can also change the set ups on the cars to suit your style - like trying to tune out some of the oversteer if you want.

although, SLIGHTLY oversteering cars tend to be fast cars!

Finally! I'm not in the minority of "always getting whacked" in ToCA RD 3. It always seems like I'm the worst driver compared to everyone else who somehow doesn't get whacked by the AI. It's the reason why I stopped playing "Pro Race Driver." The drivers aren't thugs in ToCA RD 3 compared to PRD. Maybe it was bad in PRD because of the whiny protagonist you play in the game.

Here is a hint I have for you all. Make sure to take part in those time trials. Some time trials can be quite easy if you know how to race. Maybe the easiest ones are the Monster Truck races. You win cups by clearing all time trial events with the fastest time for each level. These extra cups can be good to race in bonus racing series.

I am curious if I am the only one or if others have experienced this weird quirk as well... After playing TOCA3 for a while my DFP will loose all resistance againstthe wheel. IOW the motors in the wheel will turn off and steering becomes like wet noodlish and sloppy, after I start a race. There will be no force against the wheel and every onec in a while it will simply keep doing this. It will be just in he racing mode not the hold modes in between the races, you can feel some force of the stator against the coils(magnetic force) ut once you start the race...poof.. its gone its like all currewnt to the motor is gone and ther is no longer any power at all going to it.

Anyone else???

so, is there an ariel atom in the ps2 version, right now i am on the challenge level where you need to race those ferrari 355 looking things with the wings. they are terribly oversteery

I haven't run into one yet, and judging by the championships I have left in Pro Career, it doesn't look like there will be one.

*EDIT* - unless it's in the Honda championship; I believe the Atom runs off a Civic Type R engine.

I think Toca 3 was overhyped before it came out. So many people were saying "It's going to rival GT4" or "It's going to be better than GT4" but it wasn't to be. Not saying it's not a very good game but just because it has so many different types of motorsport, doesn't make it a rival to GT4, imho.

However, some people may like to race with all different types of vehicles (trucks, foruma 3, etc) whereas I'm a bit more old-fashioned in that respect :D

I consider TOCA 3 RD to be a far better game than GT4. The handling is more realistic as is the race atmosphere. GT4 has very unrealistic handling characteristics especially when cornering. I found it to e a huge load of BS when a race car wants to try and go straight while your turning the wheel.

I did want to know if anyone else who uses the Logitech DFP can't adjust the deadzone and saturation of the steering/gas/brake as well. I mean you can adjust it all you want but when you go to exit from options back into the game it prompts your to make the choice of resetting the controls to default settings or stay in options. IOW you can't adjust the deadzone and saturation of the major controls.

I am glad to see thats changed in GRID, but I really wish I could in TOCA3

I consider TOCA 3 RD to be a far better game than GT4. The handling is more realistic as is the race atmosphere. GT4 has very unrealistic handling characteristics especially when cornering. I found it to e a huge load of BS when a race car wants to try and go straight while your turning the wheel.

I did want to know if anyone else who uses the Logitech DFP can't adjust the deadzone and saturation of the steering/gas/brake as well. I mean you can adjust it all you want but when you go to exit from options back into the game it prompts your to make the choice of resetting the controls to default settings or stay in options. IOW you can't adjust the deadzone and saturation of the major controls.

I am glad to see thats changed in GRID, but I really wish I could in TOCA3

The thing I really love about GT4 is it's photorealistic graphics, the sheer size of the game, the ability to test 0-400 and 0-1000m times and the choice in cars. It has tuning cars, concept cars, racing cars and standard road cars, varying from 15bhp to 800bhp.

Toca 3 has some great, rare manufacturers like Gemballa, Ultima, Koenig and Morgan but for the most part, they are racing cars, rather than standard road cars. I personally would have preferred it if they had just stuck to good old-fashioned racing with touring cars, gt cars, etc, and not ventured into truck racing, off-road, formula 3 and so on.

I must admit, it is fun when you first try it but like I said, I'm just old-fashioned in that respect and prefer car racing.

I just switched out the hard drive in my PS# last night from a 60 gig to a 120 gig. Everything prety much went off with out a hitch except for my TOCA3 game save. For some reason my TOCA3 game will not copy to the internal memory card and to make matters worse the game wont look for the PS2 memecar sitting in the adapter. Does anybody have TOCA3 and PS3 witha game save around 24% that could be emailed to me? I really donlt want to have to race my way up to that point again:banghead::grumpy:

Ignore me if it's a dumb question, are they any new(ish) games that have the current BTCC cars in? Or do you have to go back to the original Toca's of the late 90s to get just BTCC cars?

I am curious if I am the only one or if others have experienced this weird quirk as well... After playing TOCA3 for a while my DFP will loose all resistance againstthe wheel. IOW the motors in the wheel will turn off and steering becomes like wet noodlish and sloppy, after I start a race. There will be no force against the wheel and every onec in a while it will simply keep doing this. It will be just in he racing mode not the hold modes in between the races, you can feel some force of the stator against the coils(magnetic force) ut once you start the race...poof.. its gone its like all currewnt to the motor is gone and ther is no longer any power at all going to it.

Anyone else???

yes...I thought my wheel was going. after many moons with toca, gtr, enthusia and a slew of f1 racers i thought the wheel was gonna bite the dust...guess not...whew.

if anyone likes running V8's in pro-sim mode, the series I run in needs some cars.

It's about 3 years old now and it's just about dead. we're down to 3 people.

we run off line in pro-sim mode. just run your races by yourself whenever you want (over about a week-long period) - usually a 4 lapper & a 8 lapper at each round- then come back & post your times on line.

next round is a european circuit. we also qualify in time trial mode.

Anyone still play this? Mine just arrived yesterday and all in all its a pretty good game. I don't know if I'd say it's better than GT4 though. Haven't really gotten to anything good yet, but one more class and I'll be racing some V8 cars.

Anyone still play this? Mine just arrived yesterday and all in all its a pretty good game. I don't know if I'd say it's better than GT4 though. Haven't really gotten to anything good yet, but one more class and I'll be racing some V8 cars.

Well I have the game for my PS2, but I haven't played it yet. :P But I do have it for the PSP, and currently I'm in the DTM championship. Then again, I got caught up and now I can't stop playing GT2 for some reason...... :D

Still play this occasionally. I can't do some of the time trials at Bathurst though, in those V8s. I hate that circuit. Any tips?

Still play this occasionally. I can't do some of the time trials at Bathurst though, in those V8s. I hate that circuit. Any tips?

I just finished doing the first set of V8s, Bathhurst is scary in those things! I just made sure I knew where the real tough spots were at and slowed up a bit.

So I just bought this game yesterday for $10. Pretty cool so far, but I was wondering how the controller settings work. I want the gas petal to be more sensitive.

I just lost an entire memory card's worth of save files. 70-odd percent of ToCA 3 down the drain. And I was so close to unlocking the Atom :grumpy:

Back