TOCA 3. you know. the ps2 version.

• Thread starter kinigitt
  • 1,059 comments
I've even (re)started a Time Trial for the game, if anyone's interested, check here.
It's over in just over half a day, so maybe the next one :lol:

I am sorry if this has been done, but has anyone actually won Tier 32, I need help with a setup, because I simply cannot drive the car in default setting, I have no problems keeping up until I spin or crash, which happens a lot.

Oh dear, well my copy of TOCA 3 arrived today and unfortunately it refuses to work. It freezes about a second or two after the intro finishes when you have to press the start button. I tried it about 10 times and couldn't get it to work. The disc looks clean as a whistle, and it is most likely the PS2 which I bought for 15 quid off a bloke I don't even know that is the problem. I don't suppose anyone else has come across this and knows some sort of fix for it?

I'd suggest you try Toothpaste if it's only V8 Supercars 3 that isn't working...
[Youtube]WM7yfZeVzo8[/media]Worked with a pre-owned WRC4, and tons of scratchy DVDs ;).

Oh dear, well my copy of TOCA 3 arrived today and unfortunately it refuses to work. It freezes about a second or two after the intro finishes when you have to press the start button. I tried it about 10 times and couldn't get it to work. The disc looks clean as a whistle, and it is most likely the PS2 which I bought for 15 quid off a bloke I don't even know that is the problem. I don't suppose anyone else has come across this and knows some sort of fix for it?

Tbh, if you contacted Codemasters, they'd probably ship you a free copy of it if you stated the problem and how much you are looking forward to F1'10 and any future racing games they may or may not produce, like, TRD4.

I am sorry if this has been done, but has anyone actually won Tier 32, I need help with a setup, because I simply cannot drive the car in default setting, I have no problems keeping up until I spin or crash, which happens a lot.

I'm also trying to do tier 32, I found these setups which are faster than the default, but I'm still not good enough to win.

Ok, so i'm a little slow on buying new games and have only just picked up a mint (used) copy of RD3 (V8 Supercars 3, here in oz)
Is anyone else still playing it? or can't you be pulled away from GT5P?

just hoping that it lives up to the reputation of being the best "Racing" Sim.
and GT4 the best "Driving" sim (for PS2)

Last edited:
Well I have the original 60GB PS3, and Toca 3, as well as 1 and 2, all work fine. Hell, even the PS1 Toca's run on it without a problem.
Like I said, technically the original launch 60GB PS3 will always be the best one they ever did.

Played a little over the weekend, very, very impressed.
Great to see Symmons Plains is included for V8 Supercars, That particluar track is only 1.5hrs drive from my house, and I have cut a few laps around there in a road car myself. very impressed with the detail and precision of the track layout, length, bumps, etc.

only small issue i have is the 900 degree ( multi-turn ) steering seems to require way too much steering input at high speeds.
Wheel used is a DFGT
I am using pro-sim handling (anything else was stupid and "arcadey"), and FFB on fuill
I have re-calibrated all the dead-zones to minimum,
and all the accelerator/ brake and turning calibration to 100%
should i have left the steering at the default ~75% which in effect would only give 675 degrees of used steering travel?

take a quick look at the actual incar footage from these two V8 supercar drivers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-bWqqvqNJ0&feature=related (Winton Raceway)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxCsrOLk8co&feature=channel (Barbagallo Raceway)

through similar 90 degree turns at similar in-game speeds, i need to use a full 180 degrees of steering input to get the car around, (tyres are still gripping, car is not under or over-steering)
as you can see the real drivers are only using 90 degrees of steering input to get around such a corner...

thoughts?

EDIT:

ok, i've done some testing and after studying some more in-car video footage, the V8 supercars do infact only have 540' of total steering lock (270' each direction from centre) so dropping the saturation to 60% gives a much more realistic driving experience for me personally.
so the "default" value of 70% saturation is pretty close.
silly me for altering the default values. although i did remove all the dead zones and added 1005 saturation to the pedals for better throttle and brake control

Last edited:
Wow this thread is old but I do have a comment to add, let me quote you.
Wow dude. Yeah, I came up with that all in about a half hour while I was taking a shower. I was playing D1GP that night and then switched to TOCA 3 and then TOCA 2 and then EPR And I know from experience how GT4 is quite well, So I was trying to think how a real car rotates when cornering. And that's what I came up with.

See, the thing I keep thinking is that the grip levels determine the point of rotation. The way I see it, when a tire has grip the road will try to pull it back. If their is an unbalance the end with the most grip will try to follow the end with the least grip. If the rears have the least grip the car will be loose because when you unsettle the car's path by turning the wheel, the road will grab the front's but not the rears, making the car rotate at the front of the car and get sideways and spin if you can't correct it. If the rears have the most grip the car will be stable because when you try to turn the end with the least grip is already leading and won't grab as hard as the rears that have grip. Obviously these are the opposite extremes representing maybe having oil on two tires (those two being the two fronts or the two rears) or having both the tires at one end of the car made of plastic like on a drift R/C car. lol. A good driver/good car won't run into these situations very often but will keep the car balanced, and the car will never rotate far from center. And perfect would be just toward the front of center as this would be a slightly loose car with "correct yaw" as you described below. Making the car handle good and stay relatively neutral.

Also the way I see it it's physically impossible for the car to rotate behind the center to corner. The only way this is possible is if you get loose and the car corrects by regaining rear grip and the fronts catching up to the rears. If you correct by using the steering alone it'll rotate around the front side of center still.

Sorry, hope that's not too confusing cause I just typed what I was thinking as I thought it. lol.

I need to find this book, that's pretty cool, about as cool as that Forced Induction book my friend has.

But I don't understand how they determined the amount of YAW in those examples. I know from being a videogame editor (NR2003 Season) what Yaw is, and how to use it in artificial inteligence, but to my knowledge, yaw is the slipangle of the car compaired to it's path, and the path is determined by it's speed and yaw. But they are saying that the path is determined by the yaw angle......... so how are they determining the yaw?? I guess they are they just leaving speed out of the equation and assuming you've got it (speed) constant and correct???

That which I have highlighted in bold is what I am addressing.

It's not impossible, rather you have to be going really slow, like a grandma to make the center of rotation point, the back of the car.

Just think of a parked car. Unlock door, jump in. Keys in, close the door, seatbelt, ignition, put it in gear let it crawl forward so your car is 3/4 out of line with other parked, brake, check left and right, aha exit is left! Turn the wheel left to lock, hold it, get off the brake, no gas just letting it crawl to the left while you hold the wheel locked to the left. And just like that;

You have successfully made the back of the car, the centre of rotation point.

Back