Toyota 86 Tuning Challenge *Results Are In*

• Thread starter HaylRayzor
  • 253 comments
XDesperado67,

I'm excited to try out this tune for the classic 86 regardless of its bearing on the official results. I started playing Gran Turismo beginning with GT3 and took someone's advice to start my GT mode career with a stock 86. It is the epitome of the car I had to fall in love with, because I beat the thing to death learning how to get the most out of every bit of performance. My plan is to try your tune out with an open mind, but I'm aware my associations with it are already nostalgic. Thanks for tuning this car!
My pleasure.👍👍:D
Just sent you an FR to make trying it out easier.:)

i am back from a vacation with the girl friend, going to test cars this week, i did get a friend request from XDesperado67, i will test your car tomorrow night. Any one that maybe canceled there friend request you may resend i should have some space.

EDIT: actually I'm going to test your AE86 right now :)

XDesperado67 original ae86
Best lap 1:51.182

Thoughts: You cannot be a slouch with this car, all I can say is oversteer. There was oversteer in coner entry, middle, and exit. But it was a blast to drive I ended up doing 10 laps trying to get it down into the 1:40s but a 1:51 is all I could manage. But in the end it could not keep up with its younger brother. I agree with desperado that if it didn't have those skinney tires it would be much faster.

XDesperado67 original ae86
Best lap 1:51.182

Thoughts: You cannot be a slouch with this car, all I can say is oversteer. There was oversteer in coner entry, middle, and exit. But it was a blast to drive I ended up doing 10 laps trying to get it down into the 1:40s but a 1:51 is all I could manage. But in the end it could not keep up with its younger brother. I agree with desperado that if it didn't have those skinney tires it would be much faster.
Thanks for the test and glad you enjoyed it.👍👍
A little surprised you couldn't get into the 1:40s but then the car demands a very delicate touch to keep it from going into drift mode.:lol:

A little surprised you couldn't get into the 1:40s but then the car demands a very delicate touch to keep it from going into drift mode.:lol:

Explains a lot. I'm not remotely a "delicate" driver :lol:.

Testing: All cars are run for 15 laps with one pit stop at lap 8 for a set of fresh cold tires

s2k2k3 -----------------------FT-86 concept -----------------------1:42.897
MrTrent1024-----------------FR-S-----------------------------------1:43.324
OTS_NEWDRIVER2 ----------86 GT---------------------------------1:43.482
VTiRoj ------------------------86 GT---------------------------------1:44.138
XDesperado67----------------Sprinter Trueno AE86---------------1:46.246

Notes:

s2k2k3`s FT-86 got its best laps just before the tires reached max heat, after that the car was very slippery and hard to control the rear end with the throttle. Front end turn in was very good.

MrTrent1024's FR-S (Made a car for reference not entering as a tuner)

OTS_NEWDRIVER2's GT86 handled very well on all tire temps, turn in was good rear end stability on corner exit was good as well. Rear end felt a tiny bit loose on high speed corners.

VTiRoj`s GT86 Car handles well in the rear but i felt the turn in could be sharper. The front tires tended to plow badly after they reached top heat level.

XDesperado67's AE86 was a bit lose and slippery on exit, looking at the tune some things could be toned down. The suspension could be better balanced to give better stability. IMO aswell maybe you should try a super charger instead as the power drop at the top end helps to keep traction.

Driver note: i really want to see more AE86's, this car i think can keep up with the others

Explains a lot. I'm not remotely a "delicate" driver :lol:.
By nature I'm not either but with those hard plastic donuts the car calls tires there isn't really any other choice.:drool:
I use the right thumbstick for throttle/brake which at least for me gives much finer control than either the buttons or triggers. Was running very low 1:47s consistently and from my split times I know a low 1:45 is possible if the driver can string it all together.:crazy:

Yeah, I always use the buttons because that's how it was in GT3. Plus, launch control; can't use launch control with the stick.
I REALLY need to get a wheel, though.

I also use x and square for gas and brake so there really is no delicate touch.:lol:

@MrTrent thanks for the test.👍👍
I tried the Supercharger but it was bad. You end up with 10hp less and something like 30ft-lb more torque plus it messes with the power curve badly. The extra torque coming earlier really cooks the rear tires less power overall and especially at the top end means a lower top speed as well. Plus I drive with an automatic transmission so the High RPM turbo keeps the power band more friendly to that.:crazy:
Unfortunately the tires seem to be what's holding it back more than anything else. They just don't produce the same levels of grip as the ones on the newer cars.:(
Wish PD had programmed the tires to produce the same relative grip regardless of age of car instead of the way they have, but that's just something we have to live with.:drool:

I'm quite interested to check out this old bucket now. :lol: Won't get to any testing until Tuesday but if there are FRs that need to go out I will do that. Think there are a few I need to get done.

Just for reference I also tried dropping the weight down to 900kg. While the cornering may have had a very slight improvement the loss of some 26hp seriously reduced both top speed and acceleration resulting in slower lap times overall. There might be a sweet spot of power and weight in between where I have it and 900kg but I currently lack the energy to try and find it.:drool:

Golyadkin
Are you still accepting testers for this challenge? I am a newbie to testing various tunes (except all the tunes I've tried and tweaked on my own sans publishing) but imagine I could give a decent review of what different folks have done to the eight six.

I got your friend request yesterday and my scion can't be shared

Mrtrent1024
Testing: All cars are run for 15 laps with one pit stop at lap 8 for a set of fresh cold tires

s2k2k3 -----------------------FT-86 concept -----------------------1:42.897
MrTrent1024-----------------FR-S-----------------------------------1:43.324
OTS_NEWDRIVER2 ----------86 GT---------------------------------1:43.482
VTiRoj ------------------------86 GT---------------------------------1:44.138
XDesperado67----------------Sprinter Trueno AE86---------------1:46.246

Notes:

s2k2k3`s FT-86 got its best laps just before the tires reached max heat, after that the car was very slippery and hard to control the rear end with the throttle. Front end turn in was very good.

MrTrent1024's FR-S (Made a car for reference not entering as a tuner)

OTS_NEWDRIVER2's GT86 handled very well on all tire temps, turn in was good rear end stability on corner exit was good as well. Rear end felt a tiny bit loose on high speed corners.

VTiRoj`s GT86 Car handles well in the rear but i felt the turn in could be sharper. The front tires tended to plow badly after they reached top heat level.

XDesperado67's AE86 was a bit lose and slippery on exit, looking at the tune some things could be toned down. The suspension could be better balanced to give better stability. IMO aswell maybe you should try a super charger instead as the power drop at the top end helps to keep traction.

Driver note: i really want to see more AE86's, this car i think can keep up with the others

Its very good time sir i know she like to push her tail out of corner exit put you can handel it . Iam surprise that my car doing good for the first time thank you sir Trent :-) .

Praiano's gt 86
Best Lap: 1:44.808

My thoughts: Praiano's tunes are always very good (IMO) and this tune is for sure a good tune. The tune made the car grip incredibly well. I felt like could push the car harder and faster beyond its limits. There was a little understeer on entry but I got used to it very quickly. Overall a very good tune that matched my driving style well.

Ronald6
My testing is done. Results on page 6.

Thank you very much for trying my car. As for the gearing, I set it that way to limit oversteer, and found it worked well as a five speed. Think of sixth as an overdrive :dopey:

Okay my classic Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX '83, "Sunshine Express" is ready.👍👍
D-3.jpg

D-1-2.jpg

Hope you all have as much fun driving this car as I've had tuning it.:cheers:

Just remember as I've stated in my notes for the tune...A smooth gentle touch on the controls is called for when hot lapping. More abrupt and aggressive inputs will likely result in the car going into drift mode which while fun and easy to control will kill the lap times.:crazy::D

Just browsing the thread and was going to keep my mouth shut until I saw your GT-APEX '83. Good grief that is a fine custom job you did there! Love the yellow paint on the body and wheels ...really does look epic! Nicely done ...

Just browsing the thread and was going to keep my mouth shut until I saw your GT-APEX '83. Good grief that is a fine custom job you did there! Love the yellow paint on the body and wheels ...really does look epic! Nicely done ...
Thanks!👍👍:D

Will post some more times tonight. Think I have Roj's and rob's Scions to go and hopefully I will get a chance to run a few more laps with the field. s2k just ran away with the lap times though...by a lot. :eek:

Will post some more times tonight. Think I have Roj's and rob's Scions to go and hopefully I will get a chance to run a few more laps with the field. s2k just ran away with the lap times though...by a lot. :eek:

That has much more to do with my choice of car than my mad tuning skilz. :lol:

As of now, only 1 tuner has FR'd me, so I can't test.

I have PMed all the tuners to remind them that they need to FR all testers.

Remember that Praiano's car is shared by digitalbaka.

And of course all Scions must be built by the testers. They can't be shared.

It's a pita to have to break in multiple Scions. PD should have made the car sharable at least with those that bought the DLC. If testers need more time to break in Scions, I will extend the deadline.

FR's sent to:

dirtbiker535/atimmer22
TakumiFuji01
Gamerdog6482
SolidSnake7735

Latest Posts

Back