Tuner Challenge Championship ~ April McLaren MP4

• Thread starter Adrenaline
  • 897 comments
At this current time, I'm not sure as to what the future of this competition will be, if it even has one. It seems much interest has been lost and I'm not positive how to change things to help draw in more tuners. A few request for an 'old format' but to me the old format doesn't really make sense, as far as a level playing field. I've gotta do some reading through the archives of the old layout. I don't currently have plans to proceed with the competition in May. :guilty:

Damn.... Well Adrenaline I Hope Your Tune Reviews Go Well, Your The Only Popular Reviewer I Know, Also I Hope Your Every Tune Thread Goes Well (I Do Have A Peugeot 307CC Tune https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5247006#post5247006 ) .... Isnt It Difficult Managing A Thread Like That!!

Damn.... Well Adrenaline I Hope Your Tune Reviews Go Well, Your The Only Popular Reviewer I Know, Also I Hope Your Every Tune Thread Goes Well (I Do Have A Peugeot 307CC Tune https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5247006#post5247006 ) .... Isnt It Difficult Managing A Thread Like That!!
We'll see what happens with the challenge.

As for my other thread, I haven't spent much time on it lately, but at most, there's only about 10 new tunes per week, so it's not too difficult to keep up. The hard part is going back through every page of the tuning forum, reading every post scouring for any tune that may exist. There are 66 pages in total :crazy: and I've only made it to the 20th page.

As for the 307CC, like I said in your PM, I don't consider that a tune. You added camber and slammed the ride height. Nothing else was done, so I'm hard pressed to include that. No offense, just how I see it.

We'll see what happens with the challenge.

As for my other thread, I haven't spent much time on it lately, but at most, there's only about 10 new tunes per week, so it's not too difficult to keep up. The hard part is going back through every page of the tuning forum, reading every post scouring for any tune that may exist. There are 66 pages in total :crazy: and I've only made it to the 20th page.

As for the 307CC, like I said in your PM, I don't consider that a tune. You added camber and slammed the ride height. Nothing else was done, so I'm hard pressed to include that. No offense, just how I see it.

Ok But RVR Are Going Fast On Their Tunes I Have Another 2 Tunes To Go Up Tomorrow :) And I Would Agree On The Peugeot... Hopefully The Tuner Challenge Will Regain Popularity...
Also What Do You Think Of My Tuning Garage?

What Do You Think Of My Tuning Garage?

I usually wait a while, for a garage to establish their level of integrity before I spend any time with their tunes. You specifically requested it, so you got a head start. Luckily, due to the success of your LFA, I'm far more inclined to try out a few of your other tunes. Possibly the McLaren & Enzo.

Overall it looks pretty good, I think you should try to restrain from posting unnecessary pictures, that hurt the readability of the thread. (Especially quoting them) Also you might want to cut down on the 'inter-tuning' posts, between you and Zach, again readability and it helps keep the thread clean, on topic and focused at the task at hand.

None of that really has any effect on the quality of tunes though. Although I would recommended updating that 307CC tune, as it makes it appear as if no effort was put in, and could poorly reflect on your other tunes in the thread.

+1 for the color though! I'm a sucker for colors :dopey:

At this current time, I'm not sure as to what the future of this competition will be, if it even has one. It seems much interest has been lost and I'm not positive how to change things to help draw in more tuners. A few request for an 'old format' but to me the old format doesn't really make sense, as far as a level playing field. I've gotta do some reading through the archives of the old layout. I don't currently have plans to proceed with the competition in May. :guilty:

Old layout was about as level of a playing field as the upper half of Everest. And that's what made it work so damn well. Some tuners would take a crap car and make something properly good out of it, others would take a good car and make it awesome, still others would take a decent car and wind up with a decent car. Timing mattered none, it was all about the difference the tune itself made over the car as-assembled (w/ parts) and the fun factor of the car. The winning cars were never dead slow but didn't need to be the absolute fastest in class either... And sometimes the fastest in class wound up with a very poor showing.

Old layout was about as level of a playing field as the upper half of Everest. And that's what made it work so damn well. Some tuners would take a crap car and make something properly good out of it, others would take a good car and make it awesome, still others would take a decent car and wind up with a decent car. Timing mattered none, it was all about the difference the tune itself made over the car as-assembled (w/ parts) and the fun factor of the car. The winning cars were never dead slow but didn't need to be the absolute fastest in class either... And sometimes the fastest in class wound up with a very poor showing.

I'm down for an experiment to see how it goes, if you wanna try it for May.
I still need to do some research, as to how you come up with a car choice, PP or something? Is any track allowed, since clearly times are of no value? How do you actually score or rate or decide a winner, especially with so many different drivers. Stuff like that. But if tuners are interested, then by all means we can try it out.

Luckily, due to the success of your LFA, I'm far more inclined to try out a few of your other tunes. Possibly the McLaren & Enzo

+1 for the color though! I'm a sucker for colors :dopey:

Dosent Everybody Love Colours... If You Liked The LF-A You'll Love The FXX (Enzo) And MP4-12C As They Handle Similar To The LF-A.. The Ballast is For Realism The FXX Is True To Real Spec, i'll Slow Down On unnessary Photos And Update Some Tunes.... For The Pictures Its Just To Show The World We Have A Sense Of Humor Andd Arent Just Boring People Posting Tunes For The Hell Of It

I'm down for an experiment to see how it goes, if you wanna try it for May.
I still need to do some research, as to how you come up with a car choice, PP or something? Is any track allowed, since clearly times are of no value? How do you actually score or rate or decide a winner, especially with so many different drivers. Stuff like that. But if tuners are interested, then by all means we can try it out.

You can take a look at the TCV6 thread for what I was most recently thinking RE: scoring, it'd be mainly subjective scoring @ track of judge's choice with a slight bias to lap time thrown in...

Car choice has been done more than a few different ways: Open aside from drivetrain, min/max power & weight, max PWR, combination of above, etc. If time is made irrelevant aside from improvement over default settings w/ all parts installed a max power/min weight would not be needed and we could simply divide into drivetrain classes...

You can take a look at the TCV6 thread for what I was most recently thinking RE: scoring, it'd be mainly subjective scoring @ track of judge's choice with a slight bias to lap time thrown in...

Car choice has been done more than a few different ways: Open aside from drivetrain, min/max power & weight, max PWR, combination of above, etc. If time is made irrelevant aside from improvement over default settings w/ all parts installed a max power/min weight would not be needed and we could simply divide into drivetrain classes...

So drivers would need to drive every car stock and then updated with the tune? That automatically doubles every submission. Lot of driving.

For me the whole thing feels a little slow/longwinded... for the last couple of days I've been thinking about what could be done to make it more challenging and maybe more fun. So what do you think about some kind of speed tuning? We take a random car that hasn't been tuned at all yet, define a track on which it will be tested and set a 24 h limit for the tuners...

Just another idea, any thoughts?

Dosent Everybody Love Colours... If You Liked The LF-A You'll Love The FXX (Enzo) And MP4-12C As They Handle Similar To The LF-A.. The Ballast is For Realism The FXX Is True To Real Spec, i'll Slow Down On unnessary Photos And Update Some Tunes.... For The Pictures Its Just To Show The World We Have A Sense Of Humor Andd Arent Just Boring People Posting Tunes For The Hell Of It

Sorry... but the simple fact you capitalize the first letter of every word in a sentence is enough reason for me to overlook your tunes no matter how good they might be.

So drivers would need to drive every car stock and then updated with the tune? That automatically doubles every submission. Lot of driving.

Add in the fact there's usually 3 divisions with 10+ tunes in each and yeah. It's huge.

Hence why they didn't happen every month. :P

Sorry... but the simple fact you capitalize the first letter of every word in a sentence is enough reason for me to overlook your tunes no matter how good they might be.

Its a habit when im on PS3 browser.. so used pressing the accelerate button (L2) :sly:

My take on it (only new to the challenge so take it with a grain of salt if you wish);

Maybe move away from the current single car type and move to a PP, or choose a car from the current OCD at the time the challange goes up (if staying with the single car method)?. It opens the ability to tune any car under/equal to the PP to whatever specs the individual garages think is best for the car of their choice, or at least make all vehicle available to all for that period, although the car chosen would have to be announced and grabbed from the OCD by all ASAP (I would hate to have a challenge where the car comes exclusively from the UCD). A PP system would mean a lot of additional work for tuners though due to the multitude of vehicles available per PP so the OCD choice may be better?

Scoring would also be relatively easy under the PP system though. It would still come down to the best car for the given target vehicle but open up the field of possible cars. It would definitely show the beter tune for a specific PP, being as PP is the driving force behid a lot of online racing now, as well, it seems, seasonals.

But in saying this, I think the idea of the current way of doing the monthly challenge has been aimed at finding tunes that make a car better, that doesn't have too much tune exposure at that point. An example of that is that the MP4 didn't have too much in the way of tunes posted, and I saw a post a week ago requesting a tune for it since it is such a bucket of poo to drive at default.

P.S: On the note of 'tune reviews', would it be possible for you to make a single thread containg them all in one place as well Adrenaline?

Last edited:
On the note of 'tune reviews', would it be possible for you to make a single thread containg them all in one place as well Adrenaline?

Since that already exists for my personal reviews, I can only assume you're referring to reviews by all members... In which case I would have to say no.
Well, yes it's possible, but I won't be taking on that task, for multiple reasons. Personally I don't see a need, nor a demand for such a thread. Isolated reviews don't hold much meaning in the eyes of the reader. They are, in my opinion, only relevant to the person who designed the tune, as a way to get feedback on potential future tuning adjustments.

Since that already exists for my personal reviews

Yes it did actually. I missed it in your sig block, sorry :( I meant for it to be a sticky if possible (similar to how the 'every GT5 tune' thread is. more-so for those who don't see the link in your signature block, being that your reviews appear to hold a lot of cred.

Last edited:
I think it would be cool to have no restrictions besides maybe drivetrain and era. So have a group called: 70s FR or 80s FF

Though to be honest, I don't even think you need to restrict drivetrain. Maybe just designate a decade/era.

Judging should be based on improvement over stock/joy of driving.

Yes it did actually. I missed it in your sig block, sorry :( I meant for it to be a sticky if possible (similar to how the 'every GT5 tune' thread is. more-so for those who don't see the link in your signature block, being that your reviews appear to hold a lot of cred.

I appreciate that, but I can't honestly say it's worthy of being stickied.
While some may enjoy them, it's hard to say they hold any value to the general public. Besides... no one reads stickies anyways :P

As for the era idea...
That would work with what I had planned for a month anyways, which was going to be classic muscle.

Pick a PP, and limit the tuners to any muscle car of their choice?
I'm still unclear on how to work it all out, but lets get some feedback on this idea first, before moving forward.

I'm not sure whether to send in times this month or not. The car feels just very bad and the tunes don't seem to help me! It's hard to drive a clean lap and if so it's nowhere near fast! I'm not sure which track to choose, in first place I thought I feel confident on Grand Valley but no... I hate the last part of Tokyo, so I will try Cape Ring and if it isn't a little better there, I think my times wouldn't help getting good results. Anyone else feeling the same?

I'm not sure whether to send in times this month or not. The car feels just very bad and the tunes don't seem to help me! It's hard to drive a clean lap and if so it's nowhere near fast! I'm not sure which track to choose, in first place I thought I feel confident on Grand Valley but no... I hate the last part of Tokyo, so I will try Cape Ring and if it isn't a little better there, I think my times wouldn't help getting good results. Anyone else feeling the same?

At one point I was running 1:42-1:43 for 10 laps consecutively on R246 all within 1" variation of each other; that was without using the 0kg ballast trick either. However, I think due the extreme nature of my tune it only worked within a narrow margin chassis rigidity wear of from about 350 to 700 miles accumulated on the car. I think running a tuning championship is hard for these very reasons that the inconsistent physics really aren't inconsistent at all, they just rely on so many subsets of environmental variables that unless a tune is extremely conservative then it can either perform great and hug the track or spiral out of control in corners.

Basilea
I'm not sure whether to send in times this month or not. The car feels just very bad and the tunes don't seem to help me! It's hard to drive a clean lap and if so it's nowhere near fast!..... Anyone else feeling the same?

*AOOGA* *AOOGA* (DS3 scrub* delurking off the starboard bow).

*AT, sensitivity 7. I'll eventually fix the AT crutch, but I really want a headphone setup that also works online.

Hi. I'm one of the other new drivers (ironically also from Brisneyland, rumblina) and I certainly hope the challenge stays around for some time to come (which was the motivation).
Basilea,

I'd at least wait and see whether we get online testing back in time - since the offline was actually the side-test. I ran at R246, being worried about my mediocrity at GVS, and that and the the lack of a pilot's license at the Cape. GVS or Cape might actually turn out to have been a better choice; I have seen decent results from the tunes off-line, but I know better times can be run for stock and the tunes by more consistently nailing the pain points ( for me, clean first and last turns, and the "straight". Messing up either the last hairpin or the mistiming the main straight's kink wipes out two laps each time). I still got some better laps, even so.

In other news, Full Throttle considered harmful in this MP4-12C. I think it just has too damn much power fully modded, rather like the Enzo. At least the car is a learning exercise, and the different problem solving routes the tunes took was interesting. I really want to try them online.

Pardon the essay, and likewise for future examples It's why I tend to avoid posting.

I too have been holding off on testing for the online lounge to come back, but I'm going to do an offline test today as backup. I've been trying out the tracks with the default setup and I've come to the conclusion that I'm not very good at either of them! I've decided to give Tokyo a chance for the test although I still can't figure out the final section. It feels like I'm just nursing the car back home trying to avoid a fiery crash, rather than attacking the track.

Also the car is just way too powerful fully modded. It's got racecar HP without the handling or downforce. I think it would've been much more fun testing with stock parts.

Well I will test the car! I just had a bad day... and I'm not used to drive fast cars anymore ;) for the last 2 weeks or so I just drove slow stable cars and the GTR SpecV, which is just one of the most stable cars in that power range...

I have to give the stock car some 20 practise laps and go for GVS or maybe Tokio but Cape Ring is just flying around! It would be a great track without these jumps!

I've submitted my times from Tokyo, and now for the best part of the test - selling the bloody car! I'm never driving a fully tuned MP4 again... It is just way too powerful and out of control. I've crashed in so many ways the test dummy from Mythbusters is jealous of my experience!

Tokyo isn't exactly my strongest track but still better than the alternatives. I went back after I was done and did a few more laps with each tune and got similar lap times as during the main test so I'm fairly certain I gave them all a fair chance. One tune was significantly faster than the others and all 3 were better than stock, so good job to all. I won't be posting a long review because there's not much I can say other than X was faster than Y which was faster than Z. :)

I have seen a minor mention to do with offline times in this thread but nothing really official, but are offline times being officially taken as results for this month, as I doubt I will get a chance to run online prior to deadline?

I am assuming with only 2 days left to submit it is how this month is being handled, but I hate to assume.

Last edited:
I have seen a minor mention to do with offline times in this thread but nothing really official, but are offline times being officially taken as results for this month, as I doubt I will get a chance to run online prior to deadline?

I am assuming with only 2 days left to submit it is how this month is being handled, but I hate to assume.

Correct:

Offline times are fine.
You're one of the tuners, and 1 of the other 2 also agreed.
So I don't see why not, especially due to the PSN issues.

I would of sent an email, had I known PSN would of been down this long.

I've submitted my times from Tokyo, and now for the best part of the test - selling the bloody car! I'm never driving a fully tuned MP4 again... It is just way too powerful and out of control. I've crashed in so many ways the test dummy from Mythbusters is jealous of my experience!

The high rpm turbo may be a bit much for it, remove the turbo completely and leave the rest of the upgrades and it is still a fairly fun car to drive. A few tracks I tested on also benefited from the mid rpm turbo for best lap times and drove a little more consistent without that high rpm snapping the tires loose. Then again, I do enjoy the difficult cars more than the race cars.

Back