Tuner Challenge Championship ~ April McLaren MP4

• Thread starter Adrenaline
  • 897 comments
I am still holding onto the hope that PSN comes back up before the deadline so I can provide both online & offline times. Gotta love being 15-ish hours ahead of PST :)

Hackers are threatening a third attack this weekend. They won't be targeting the PSN but Sony's web hosting for websites and official playstation forums and blogs and such, so PSN restart might get delayed a few more days yet.

Tell them to stop! ;)

How do you know? I hope Kaz gives us new tracks/cars/events/or real leaderboards, a surprise noone expects...

Can I drive with racing softs? It would provide more consistent and accurate laptimes...

So... I'm a bit confused. You have my tune in column C on the distributed sheet but my name is column B on the results...

Uh oh, That's what I get for trying to do it based off memory when I'm out of town.
I'll correct it when I get back, probably a few days. Apologies.

Don't think we're going to continue, anyone interested in taking over, to try and get the challenge headed in a direction that will get more people involved can contact me.

I haven't even played the game in two weeks. Still find myself logging into GTP every now and then but I can kick that bad habit soon enough too I think. Participation in this competition is just an indicator of the wider early death of GT5, I don't think there is much for Kaz to salvage with this one. See you all again when GT6 arrives. :)

All they need to do is add all the tracks from the previous games and that would keep me going for at least another two months. Otherwise I agree: I'm just about done!

I got an idea: Instead of a competition, simply post a poll of cars for the month - decided by whomever - and have everybody post there tweaks and tricks with that car for the month or maybe weekly in this thread. This way we can all work on a car without anyone having to invest much time in it.

Okay, corrected the issue, and then verified via the old emails. Sorry for the mix up, congrats to Praiano: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...1pVcHk4Tml6b0xCRXNZaWc&hl=en&authkey=CIPyhNIH

Good !!! but everybody is so close.... Now i have a new spec better than this one, but it was late to post ,next time.. Thanks.

It will be good to choose 1 track only and do a specific tune. For the car we can do a list around 550 to 620 pp S3 tyres, people begin to like this combination and organize a vote with everybody...for the track and the car.

I don't know realy, what i know is if i stay without PSN to play online one more week i'll stay crazy tuning 2 cars a day like this.

It will be good to choose 1 track only and do a specific tune. For the car we can do a list around 550 to 620 pp S3 tyres, people begin to like this combination and organize a vote with everybody...for the track and the car.
That sounds like a good way to do it if the challenge was to continue.

P.S: Should we start a thread to see if anyone is stil interested, and how it could possibly continue under a new system? Or is it just going to die an early death?

I would like to see a car chosen, we all tune it, then we all do a few online races tuner vs. tuner. I know that would add driving skill into the mix, but we all tune by our driving style. My tunes are tuned for me. Wouldn't mind seeing how they stack up with me driving them.

Pick one car, the specs and the track, then let's meet online.

Online would be cool, but I think the whole "Now try mine!" part helps, too - I liked the crucible/evolution thing.

I'd also be happy to spade stupid suspension extremes FOR SCIENCE!

What about tuning for seasonals? It's the part of the game most still play, apart from online!

Right now, the french car with 500 PP would be a nice challenge?

I just now found this and I think it is incredibly awesome. Too bad it has faded. If it needs help, I don't mind helping, but I'm a rubbish driver and can't tune. So it would only be for paperwork.

One of the reasons I like this is because the standings for the February race speak volumes to the moar-isn't-always-better drum I beat too often. The third place tune was about half a second behind the leader and didn't fit a customizable transmission or an adjustable LSD, and probably could've been fitted with out the fully customizable suspension (I can't tell from just the spreadsheet). Point is, it was much much cheaper and was still competitive.

p.s. Dawns on me that the Budious tune may have fit those parts and just left the default settings. That isn't clear from the spreadsheet. It means my point may be moot. Still, I think this is a good idea.

Last edited:
I had an idea to continue on with this, but it revolved around the WRS and required immediate tuning and feedback or proof of results would be difficult to obtain.

But basically, every so often the WRS has an event that allows tuning.
This week for example, the challenge is The Takata Dome NSX, with Stage 3 engine, on Race Hards at Tokyo. The deadline for submitted times is next Monday, meaning tunes would have to be done in 1-2 days max. There would be no consistent schedule as the WRS does many different types of events, but it was just an idea.

Some road cars have special features that PD seems sometimes tries to reflect in the car modelling - one obvious example is the AYC on the Evos. A few stock transmissions are hard to model, also (Veyron comes to mind).

Anyone have a good list here? Do the e-diffs in the Ferraris work (even to a point)? 4WS in the 3000GTs/GTOs/Celicas? I'm thinking the hydraulically linked setup in the MP4 didn't ;-)

If you replace all the parts, or do full upgrades without thinking, you will trip over quite a few problems and exceptions. Some more examples - Chassis reinforcement can also be dubious (but you might still want it for longer-term consistency, or in the case of a challenge like this, a non-removable upgrade is a pain for equal-car testing). Budious had a fascinating write-up on flywheel/clutch issues in his thread.

Then again, a car's stock diff or transmission, even if very effective with stock or near-stock power, may need to be upgraded anyway if all the ponies are packed in.

There's also cars where the Stage 2 turbo will be the most powerful (but may demand clever manual shifting to benefit)

I feel that some cars just don't take to too much power kindly, either - I'm looking at you, MP4. And you, Enzo.

This month's WRS is the Takata Dome NSX - something that was sort of done here. It only has a mild upgrade, and stock RH tires, so that will be interesting.

I really wish the whole PSN outage thing hadn't happened - the idea to focus on online tunes was sound, I think, if slightly harder to test (I think one of the main contributing factors was actually some PS3s carking it ;-). Having tunes for hotlapping isn't always the same as for consistency or tire wear.

I'm not sure a championship format is really needed - allowing folks aboard whose boat is being currently floated seems more important.

[/ramble]

The other idea I had was a slight mix of a few suggestions I had read.
For example, June would have been Pony cars.
Ford Mustang, Dodge Charger & the Ford Mustang.
Pick a PP and let the tuners take their choice of car and do anything they please within the PP limit. But this would require the judging system to be altered as times alone would no longer suffice. I dunno, there were few good ideas, and there's definitely more tuners around now to get involved, but I'm still not sure how to make everything work so that people can be happy.

The other idea I had was a slight mix of a few suggestions I had read.
For example, June would have been Pony cars.
Ford Mustang, Dodge Charger & the Ford Mustang.
Pick a PP and let the tuners take their choice of car and do anything they please within the PP limit. But this would require the judging system to be altered as times alone would no longer suffice. I dunno, there were few good ideas, and there's definitely more tuners around now to get involved, but I'm still not sure how to make everything work so that people can be happy.

I like the idea of PP limits, or HP/weight limits, or even price limits. I like the idea of saying "hot hatches" or "muscle cars" instead of saying Model X (though I truly don't mind Model X).

But, the judging system could be loosened up a bit. Instead of just times, each judge would judge the cars based on times, handling, joy of driving, looks (tuners pick paint colors and wheels), kind of giving points in each category like a barbeque competition or just assessing the car as a whole like a magazine review.

I may be a rubbish driver, but I think I could be just as good a judge as anyone else in that sort of setting (after all Clarkson and May do it and they clearly aren't fantastic drivers).

In this sort of loosened setting, I wouldn't prescribe the tracks. I'd let the judges pick tracks they like. They just have to keep in mind if they do all their testing at Daytona and Indianapolis, that they aren't demonstrating every aspect of a car.

With the new seasonal events (time trail races), we could maybe tune something for them, as they have a time limit and some restrictions! That not just everyone tunes the best car (the one everyone in the top of the leaderboards uses), we could say that it is not allowed to use the engine limiter... the event runs for 2 weeks if I remember correctly, so 1 week for tuning a car and the other week to drive the tunes and see which is best! I think this could be a really good and fun way for this to go on... it would give a lot of freedom for the tuners in choosing the car and how tuning it and how to reach the power and weight...

By the way, is it just me or does the cars feel different for online time trails? It was the first time that I really felt a suspension was way to hard and before it was just fine?

Back