Unnecessary Censorship in the GT6 Text Chat Window

They should have released a Gran Turismoish dictionary instead of the apex guide, I suppose... ;)

PD will call it "Gran Turismoish Language Guide", stating which words are safe to use in the Gran Turismoish language.

I have one question: Why are 'normal' words like vagina or phallus even censored... I mean they are natural parts of our bodys so why should they be censored?
For kids? And what should people then answer to their children when the following conversation comes up:

3-year old kid: "Mommy what is that between my legs?"

Mother: "Well, daughter/son, that is your Asteriks Asteriks Asteriks Asteriks Asteriks Asteriks Asteriks Asteriks"

LSD still gets me. I know why it's censored but the chemical compound is far less topical than others with colloquialisms that aren't and it's a common abbreviation for a limited-slip differential. Yeah I'm sure it's been mentioned already but it's fresh on my mind after spending the past half an hour helping someone and being censored in the process.

Censorship is so oldfashioned and counterproductive. In 90% of cases children will actually hear these words from their own parents when they talk to other adults. US & UK are among the worst regarding their so-called freedom of speech when they censor common words used only as a tool to emphasize feelings. All this originates from an old belief that if you use the "lords" name in vain you will be sent to hell. This still occurs today in 2014 in the age of science. The fact that this old relic of the past is still here shows us how resistant we are to change. The world is a ****ed up place.

The argument has been made that things are censored because it's a kid friendly game. Online mode has to keep in line with the rating. However, this is on virtually every game with an online mode (to my knowledge).
esrbnotrated.gif

You may notice that part to the right. The one about online interactions not necessarily conforming to the rating of the game.

I think it was in GT5, but I'm guessing it's still the same in 6 but I was sending a message to a coworker that was building some cabinets for my basement. Basement was censored because it contains the word semen. We started referring to it as the "lower level" after that. :lol:

Man, the censorship is just ridiculous. Like others have said, why bother censoring curse words when kids and teens will hear and probably use them in reality? It's silly. I understand it's more Sony/PlayStation than PD, but still. And censoring the whole sentence when it contains an offending word? That's stupid. Censoring just the offending word would make a lot more sense. They should change it so it at least just censors the offending word instead of the whole sentence. That would make communication a lot easier. If they can't or won't do away with censorship completely, it's a compromise.

Gran Turismo-ese translation:
** ship ****** said *** curse ******************** PlayStation ***** censoring ********** stupid ********** sense ********************** communication ** easier ************ compromise.

Wait, I can get banned, or at least get an infraction if I use too many asterisks right?

and class :lol: glass, glasses etc. i also believe you can't have a certain amount of the same number following each other.
That's weird. I JUST found that out last night. You can have any combo of 6 or less numbers. But if you have 7 or more, it's censored.

That's weird. I JUST found that out last night. You can have any combo of 6 or less numbers. But if you have 7 or more, it's censored.

I can't remember what numbers i typed in, but i remember entering something like "3498" and it was censored, i think the same thing happend to texas when he typed out his transmission / suspension one time.

Phone numbers. ;)

I don't recall whether it was 'chatter' or 'chattering', or both, but I was referring to rear wheel chatter on rear-heavy cars with too much forward brake bias and I was throwing nothin' but stars.

Phone numbers. ;)

I don't recall whether it was 'chatter' or 'chattering', or both, but I was referring to rear wheel chatter on rear-heavy cars with too much forward brake bias and I was throwing nothin' but stars.
Yeah. Don't know how I didn't realize that:lol:

Just found another:

Topasblau

For some stupid reason, only the first four letters are censored, which leaves it looking like this:

****sblau

Its a color name for goodness sake (which is even displayed in the game), someone mind telling me what's so bad about "Topas"?

Found out during a drift comp today that bother Baller and Balling are censored. Even stranger, Ball and Balls are not :confused:
...................Balling is an old-school slang for.....copulating furiously. :lol: It's from 50s and 60s. Don't think anyone uses this word to associate that sorta activity anymore....:rolleyes:...

Back