Unnecessary Censorship in the GT6 Text Chat Window

United Kingdom
Bournemouth
glenn_cullen
It's hugely frustrating when you write a message in a lobby, only to find it gets censored despite not featuring any profanities. So this thread will be a handy guide to all the words that get censored which probably shouldn't. OP will be updated with your findings.

English
Pitted
Eased
xxx
Whippersnapper
LSD
Conrod
Monaro
Wankel
Classes
Episode
Piston

German
Wenigstens
(at least)
Nicht (not)
Dass (that)
Bitte (please)

Edit: I've decided against making a list, it would go on forever! Many non English words and words that contain expletives inside them will be censored (eg class, wankel etc), foreign words with English expletives inside them and English words with foreign expletives in them ('con' is an expletive in French)! And some which can't be explained at all. The solution? Put s p a c e s between the letters!

Last edited:
It's hugely frustrating when you write a message to someone in a lobby, only to find it get's censored despite not featuring any profanities. So this thread will be a handy guide to all the words that get censored which probably shouldn't. OP will be updated with your findings. I have a few to start;

Pitted (eg ''I pitted on lap 10'')
Eased eg ''I eased off to let you pass'')
xxx (three kisses :lol:, 2 is acceptable. I think this may be because of the link to 'adult material')
Whippersnapper (eg ''I can't keep up with you young whippersnappers!'')

You're playing a G rated game. A game suitable for children. If you wish to play adult games, play games with adult ratings, although if you go online you will be confronted by the same 12 year olds who seem to occupy every GT6 lobby, so I guess it doesn't make much difference. Except that a R18 game won't have language constraints.

Connection is censored as well, or it was in GT5. I think it has something to do with the 'Con' as Conrod being censored too. It must translate as something rude in a different language and they're covering their backs a little because there is no need to censor the word connection.

"I lost connection" translates as "**********". Nice one PD. 👍 :rolleyes:

Are you sitting in a lobby all day testing which words are censored now? :lol:

:lol: Doing some running for fgta anyway so trying them at the same time. Just dc'd though :(

Looks like 'con' is the french f word, seems a bit ott to censor every word beginning with it. Gonna test 'Wankel' when I'm back online :D

Connection, connected, connecticut, convict, conversely etc are all uncensored for me, although conrod is censored. Maybe it depends on your nationality?

Wankel is censored :lol:

I'll add a word - EPISODE.

I was about to tell that a final episode of an anime is out, and it showed all asterisks. Kept writing, until I found out that word is censored...

Big thanks to OP for this thread! 👍
Usually, I talk via voicechat to my online buddys but some of them, especially those from other countries than germany don't use a headset or often are too shy to talk when several german people are at the same time.

What I found (and I'm pretty sure censorship is implemented this way) is, that no matter which country you come from, ALL bad words from ALL countries are censored in this stupid filter algorithm.
That explains why normal words get filtered away or even part of normal words.
From the gerrman side, I can confirm the following common words (among others) to get censored:
wenigstens (at least)
nicht (not)
dass (that)
bitte (please)

Like mentioned above, con seems to be the f word in france, therefore everything with "con" inside gets censored.
For my examples, I think every word which could lead to the n word (string "nig" inside a word) gets censored plus many words containing string "ass" (there are a lot of german words which have "ass" inside them - lol, this sentence sounds rude..).
Following my theory, it's self-explanatory why this happens in this "...ass....." case.
For "Wankel", I guess it's censored 'cause it can lead to "wanker" which is a word not suitable in online chats.
That must be the only reason, they filter anything what could be bad in every language - weird Sony, really weird.

Last edited:
Thanks @schmocke, I'll add a german section to the OP 👍

For me, not all words beginning with con are censored, in fact conrod is the only one I've found that is. I've just tested your theory with the words 'niggle' and 'night', also 'assort' and 'assail', all are uncensored. This is getting very confusing :lol:

Latest Posts

Back