Wacky races and you!

• Thread starter iLex
  • 158 comments
How about an MPV race or a Taxi race to see if you can transport your (pretend) passengers safely without giving them a harsh ride (perhaps based on acceleration, sudden braking, use of gears, clutch/handbrake, amount of steering, centre of gravity etc.).

A drag race along a long, flat straight ie. Fuji or Indianapolis in identical cars, reach a certain speed and then brake as hard as you can. Whoever is at a complete stop quickest wins.

How about a humans versus artificial intelligence race where the AIs are set to the highest level of skills and very very sticky tires that can only be chosen by the AI. Now that would be sweet!

Race across the world.

For this event, you get to choose 5 cars from the following classes

-2 Door Production Sports car (M3, Corvette, Skyline, SLS etc)
-pre 1970's
-4x4 / Rally
-Touring Car
-LM Race Car

The event is as follows: 25 laps of every course featured in GT5, plus +300 km of randomly generated rally stages. The type of car you use for each race would be randomly determined each time (within certain parameters of course, LM Racecars wouldn't make much sense on a rally stage)

Rather than a championship based point system, the winner would actually be the one with the lowest combined times. So in a way this a point to point event spanning several thousand kilometers.

As an online event, it would be fun to see it played out over several weeks / months...even the whole year. Dates for races could be pre-derminted, but drivers would only be given 24 hours notice of what class of vehicle they may enter. I also think it would be fun to prohibit tuning that increases horsepower and reduces weight - it would help ensure a more even playing field and force drives to spend more choosing the right vehicle and finding other creative ways to tune their setup rather than just maxing out on horsepower.

That would be impossible to govern online.....
I don't think people would last that long. There are going to be alot of courses in GT5.

Not exactly wacky

Generation Race

Take a newer revival of an older car (eg: 2010 Dodge Challenger, New Beetle, New Mini, Fiat 500) and do a lap around a circuit of your choosing, then take the original that it was based off of and do a lap around the same circuit and compare times. The challenge is to try and make the original car beat the newer model while using the least amount of money possible for upgrades and tuning

Thanks for all your comments. I will update soon.

I didn't know there that many crazy and creative masterminds on gtplanet. Some of you need some serious help though :dopey:

Some of the ideas I didn't add because they weren't wacky enough (although the Australian love for Holden is kinda wacky :)), were impossible (haven't seen more than two people in cars so far) or just plain.. well... insane (no more 1hp car!!).

On a sidenote:
I really liked the idea of the 'offline' leaderboard for the 'star in a reasonably priced car'. I suggested that to a group of friends yesterday and I think it's going to happen. My wife has even agreed to long magnetic strips on the fridge :D I particularly look forward to having people over I don't know that well and have them drive too (sorry, house rule).
I just hope they have timed laps with a standing start as opposed to how they did time trials in GT5P.

Thanks again!

edit: added a tour of the top gear track to the first post

Last edited:
I just hope they have timed laps with a standing start as opposed to how they did time trials in GT5P.

Couldn't you just drive up to the line and stop, then start? And I would use the car with a manual transmission unless they only have a licence to drive an automatic.

As wacky as some of these are, some of them are very cool. I think it would be good to continue to refine these ideas and hopefully talk about them enough over the interwebs that PD implement some of them for GT6

A friend of mine used to have a four wheeling / ATV game for his PS2. The racing was pretty average but we had hours of fun playing in a special multiplayer "ice hockey" game with a giant puck that we pushed around with our vehicles. Maybe some of these more wild events could be added to the online mode or arcade mode as to not to take away from the serious character of GT mode.

NASCAR Challenge, you can ONLY turn left! Right corner? No problem, just reverse and gas until you do the corner, but NO turning right!

Or a variation of that, you have to grip the left turns and drift the right turns, so the front wheels are always pointing left.

Why not run Top Gears version of a fuel efficiency race. Take some supercars, run flat out as hard as you can, with 1 gallon of fuel in the tank. Last one rolling wins!

This is the idea i want to try most of all!

I was fascinated when they did this on TopGear, looks like a bunch of fun and im glad that we can actually recreate this now on GT5 :D:D

I'm sure it does have light, but so do the streets you drive down. At some point though, that's not enough, or there's dark spots. What do you do then?

That's not very wacky. Since we have the 24H Ring course, I'm sure we will have a 24H Ring race. Can cover way more than 500 miles in that.

- Powerskid Competition
Make the longest skidmark (and a lot of smoke)

This should be really really cool. In GT4 I had a Viper with NOS that would run 1800m skidmarks down the Test Tracks straight. (okay not really skidmarks but it would not stop spinning until 180mph I think it was)

Back