War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

I play Tier 2 tanks all the time! SB with the F2! Add me! (UrbaniteNine)
Alright. I'll add you after I'm done with this hotfix patch. I might be able to play tomorrow night (EST). Just to let you know I play on my laptop so I don't have a stable FPS. If that screws you up somehow I apologize.

Race mode! This just keeps on getting better and better.
Agreed! Haven't been playing Warthunder in a while... It does get grindy and a little boring once you run out of premium and golden eagles (got both from the Steam packages, those are worthwhile, imho). I'm not much of a tanker, so things got stale. And I'm quite happy that race mode's here to shake things up!

Agreed! Haven't been playing Warthunder in a while... It does get grindy and a little boring once you run out of premium and golden eagles (got both from the Steam packages, those are worthwhile, imho). I'm not much of a tanker, so things got stale. And I'm quite happy that race mode's here to shake things up!
Plus the new aircraft. I haven't bought any Eagles, but I can see myself subscribing soon, especially after the imrovements and streamlining of menu and controls for the PS4.

@urbanite9 I sent you a fr on War Thunder.

In other news I'm in a predicament. I'm going to research the Marder III and Stug III F. The thing is after that should I research the Hetzer or the Stug III G?

@urbanite9 I sent you a fr on War Thunder.

In other news I'm in a predicament. I'm going to research the Marder III and Stug III F. The thing is after that should I research the Hetzer or the Stug III G?
I'd go for the STuG, but the Hetzer bounces everything like crazy... :P I have the Hetzer because I got the Hetzer before 1.43, when the Marder was added. Both are great TD's, although Hetzer can be a bit slow when stock...

Anyone up for some Tier 4 Tanks/Planes?

How's everyone liking 1.43? There are quite a lot of changes to ground forces and aerial arcade physics.

I'd go for the STuG, but the Hetzer bounces everything like crazy... :P I have the Hetzer because I got the Hetzer before 1.43, when the Marder was added. Both are great TD's, although Hetzer can be a bit slow when stock...

Anyone up for some Tier 4 Tanks/Planes?

How's everyone liking 1.43? There are quite a lot of changes to ground forces and aerial arcade physics.
Stug it is then.

As for 1.43, I have 2 problems with it. 1st is the way they incorporate respawns in RB and SB. I wasn't a fan of it when they tested it and I'm not a fan of it now. 2nd is that I have some weird graphic issue that never occurred before this patch.

Is it just me or do the flight models in AB feel different? I've been too much of a coward to jump into RB, so I can't compare the FMs, but the planes feel... Heavier, for lack of a better word. Dunno. I seem to have an easier time getting away from turn fighters like Spitfires and Zeroes when flying an energy fighter/b'n'z plane.

That said, any pointers for someone who's kinda willing to get into RB? I've got a feeling I wouldn't be able to hit a barn door without the lead indicator.

That said, any pointers for someone who's kinda willing to get into RB? I've got a feeling I wouldn't be able to hit a barn door without the lead indicator.
Basic advice is you will learn it. Realistic is a lot more fun imo once you get into it.

As for lead angles then it is another thing you have to learn really. Use the tracers to help tune your aim based on whether the visible bullet is flying in front of or behind the target.
Oh and don't ever use stealth ammo. Even with a trained eye your aiming will be 🤬.

@haitch40 , thanks for the advice! I guess I'll just try my best. I've been using stealth ammo a lot, so I'll make sure to run tracers 👍 They're supposed to be good with the .50 cals, from what I recall.

Arcade just gets annoying. Primarily because it seems to be all about ze Germans... Big guns > everything else. So stale.

@haitch40 , thanks for the advice! I guess I'll just try my best. I've been using stealth ammo a lot, so I'll make sure to run tracers 👍 They're supposed to be good with the .50 cals, from what I recall.

Arcade just gets annoying. Primarily because it seems to be all about ze Germans... Big guns > everything else. So stale.
Oh by tracers I didn't mean tracer belt although it is good for aiming. Tracers have reduced penetration so less damage.
By tracers I just meant that glowing bullet you get. Look at the bullets in each loadout. Generally I work on a basis of for mgs API is the best and for cannons HEF or HEFI is the best unless you are shooting tanks in which case use AP. A tracer bullet will be marked T or AP-T or API-T or HEF-T etc.

Hm, I generally try to go with the belt that offers the most shells I perceive as "good". The API's seem to be great for the .50s and the tracer belts have nothing but API's, even though they're tracers... Dunno, I don't like pure AP or I shells, so I tend to avoid belts that contain these, for example. Sure, tracers trade some kinetic energy for being a tracer, but I still found them to be quite effective - in AB, that is.

Pure AP do the most base damage I believe but can't set anyone on fire. The best bullets to start a fire are IAI but they have zero penetration so may not even be able to make contact with anything flammable.

Last edited:
Finally! Got my first few kills and some assists in RB! 👍 Quite a steep learning curve, but I guess I'll be okay. I survived Dota's learning curve as well, after all.

Unlocking modules seems far more significant than in Arcade, too. My Tigercat's slowly growing to be a big kitty :lol: Looking forward to the Bearcat as well.

The new respawn system in mixed air-ground RB (with those "respawn points") is kinda odd and it breaks my old strategies, but maybe I just haven't got used to it yet. Sometimes I find it nice.
Once, I took some of my best machines (KV-85, Yak-9T, LaGG-3 with rockets, T-34-57) and the GAZ AA gun truck to an RB. For the starting RP, I took the heavy tank (the KV), and was unlucky - lost it pretty quickly without hitting anyone. But I still had about 150 RP and it was enough to get back in the fight on the cheap AA truck. And with that GAZ, I managed to kill an enemy tank with artillery, destroy a German AA truck with the cannon, and capture a base. :D When a German 75mm shell finished my truck, I had over 1300 respawn points and could still punish the remains of enemy troops with my T-34-57. Hell yeah. :cheers:

You know sometimes I feel like the only guy who hates ground forces. I just can't tank. Even in ground battles I always take a plane and do ground strikes.

Nah, you're not alone. I also dislike Ground Forces. Tanks just never felt quite as interesting to me as planes. Both in real life and in games.

On the topic of OP planes: Holy cow, that 190 A-4! I'm a total newb when it comes to RB, mind you, and I still managed to go 2-0 with that thing in my first outing (best result I've managed to achieve in RB so far). Completely stock and all! Having four twenties at BR 3.3 is just in-friggin'-sane!

The War Thunder forums would have you believe that there's no plane more powerful than the F7F - lots of Luftwaffe players around there, I assume :lol:

Back