Well, it's been a year now: Was it worth it?

Did GT6 shape up in to what you were hoping it would be?

• Totes!

Votes: 63 14.4%
  • Almost there...

Votes: 133 30.5%
  • Just another update or two.

Votes: 107 24.5%
  • Nopes.

Votes: 133 30.5%

• Total voters
Yes, and it will continue to pay for itself for the foreseeable future. The course maker should be a good feature if/when it becomes available, but it's not a deal breaker. B-Spec doesn't interest me.

I'm looking forward to some new and updated tracks, the remaining VGT cars, and maybe some new road cars; but there's no rush, I've got more than enough to keep me entertained and busy for a while. And that's with over 800 hours, 300 cars and 36,000 miles logged on GT6 this past year. I've probably played GT6 more than GT2-5 combined.

Yeah, pretty much. I expected GT6 to be nothing more than just taking what GT5 had, but adding a bunch of new content and maybe a couple new features here and there. That's basically what GT6 was and I'm not really disappointed about that. Especially on the fact PD gave me back the Mk1 Ford GT40 and Shelby GT350; I couldn't be happier than when I found out those cars were confirmed.

Sure, there were a few features that were in GT5 that aren't in this game, but a lot of those were things I don't think I'll miss much. Well, other than the shuffle racing; that was a fun online game mode. There are also flaws carried over from GT5 such as the lack of graphical consistency plus a couple of new flaws, but those are mostly things I can shrug off. Also, with the updates given over the last few months, GT6 has been formed into quite a fun game for me.

Hell yeah, when I think for the same money I could get 4*10mins runs on a hire kart. I've had 26000 kms of enjoyment, barring a few quick match's. With current price it would be one race.

Sure I'd like a rally course creator that I was promised, but it's a ball to test your skills on a fairly level playing field.

Worst part is the whingers that don't have anything constructive to say, other than wanting it to be a pro SIM for PS gaming prices.

Spec 2.0 should be a full vinyl wrap import so that the players to import images to build unique team race cars. I should also better the standard textures to better standards image wise.

has it been worth it? Hell yes! I've loved every moment yes things aren't perfect but nothing's perfect. I'm sick of hearing people constantly complain about GT I honestly reckon that PD have done a great job. People should stop focusing on the negatives and look at the positives, they should realise how difficult it probably is to make a game like Gran Turismo

Funny but annoying story, I was showing my friends who don't play GT6 some 60fps Lotus 97t gameplay on the Nurburgring to show them how nice it sounded and the quality of the car, all they did was complain the ring looked bad and how the Lotus' bolts weren't very clear while viewing the interior.... :rolleyes: <-- my face exactly. Also with the hat.

Last edited:
i voted nopes but on second thought its almost-almost there. course creator and one more physics update and ill love the game.. but then it will be pretty much a carbon copy of 5... anyway im almost certain i wont be buying a ps4 and gt7

I got my money's worth and did enoy small bits of the game.

With that said, it's nowhere near where I hoped it would be at this point feature wise, a year later. I'm still cautiously optimistic about Spec II and what it might bring to the table, but all in all; this generation has been a massive let down as far as the GT series go. It has been one dissapointment after another and has also made me question the serie's future and PD's ability to deliver on the severely needed improvments.

The biggest problem is online is a big part of this game & you all know what's going to happen to them little servers in a couple of years.... BANG...GT6 is dead like a blind old incompetent sheepdog.

The game could get 10 more updates and I still wouldn't buy it. I keep GT5 around for when I can't sleep.

For those who said they did not get their moneys worth how much playing time do you expect to get out of a game on average? I know there have been some games I really liked that had a total play time of less than 40 hours and at most you might enjoy going through them 2 or 3 times before they start to collect dust.

Games like GT and Forza give much more playing time than that so hard to see how they are not worth the money even if there are things missing that should be there or other things we want in the game.

In my case I played the game every day from release up through the month of February and enjoyed it quite a lot. I am still disappointed that some features have not been added and that some of the ones that were added took so long to arrive but still worth the price in terms of entertainment value.

Hell yeah, when I think for the same money I could get 4*10mins runs on a hire kart. I've had 26000 kms of enjoyment, barring a few quick match's. With current price it would be one race.

Sure I'd like a rally course creator that I was promised, but it's a ball to test your skills on a fairly level playing field.

Worst part is the whingers that don't have anything constructive to say, other than wanting it to be a pro SIM for PS gaming prices.
Yeah because pro Sims are so expensive and you can't possibly make one to run on the PS system:dopey:.

To answere the thread title, yes!

To answer the poll, no.

This.

It's worth the money, but still....

-too many ugly standard cars and not converted to premium
-no matchmaking
-no advanced body customization
-no advanced livery editor
-no new sounds (yeah yeah we all know the story)
-only 1 production car added to the game (BMW M4)
-no audio-visual improvements to cockpit for immersion (I mean things like shaky camera,shaky wheel/hands, various noises. Everything is too static)
-outrageous reward system
-real endurance races...gone
-phototravel locations from GT5....gone
-b-spec...gone
-course creator...gone

The poll question and the thread question are two very different things. Is GT6, taken on its own, worth it? If I were asked by a hypothetical person - this person that owns a PS3 in 2014, though not an X360, X1, or PS4, and is interested in racing games, leaning more towards the sim side of the genre, but yet apparently isn't familiar with GT - I'd tell them it's probably worth the price of admission. In that sense, it's worth it: even the worst GT game is still a pretty good driving game, overall. $40 (or whatever it is these days) gets you a lot of stuff.

As a GT fan? The least impressive GT yet. GT5 was sort of like a mediocre cover band: I knew the material, but it never really felt authentic. Generally, the long gestation time was blamed on the PS3, and whether it's that simple or not, most of us accepted that. We were assured that GT6 wouldn't be the same bunch of mistakes, that GT5 had build a solid foundation. In a way, that was true: GT6 wasn't the same bunch of mistakes. It was a whole batch of new ones.

I'll admit to starting to believe PD had learned from the errors with GT5. That GT6 had a strong announcement event, with a clear release date goal from the off, was encouraging; it wasn't a bunch of slow-drip PR. I went to one of the pre-release media events a few months before GT6 launched, and I left enthusiastic. It seemed PD had ironed out their issues. Yet here we are, over a year from release, with one of the major bullet points for their pre-release hype, the course maker, still nowhere to be seen, and no hint as to when it might be. I mean, we should've seen that coming; the constantly-shrinking number that was quoted for its size should've been clue number one.

We were promised a "quantum leap" of DLC, and got a pathetic amount of new cars compared to the competition. Even including the R3's. Yes, free DLC is great, but it's hardly a good thing for PD to be releasing content for nothing, so one has to wonder why they're doing it. How much confidence does PD have in vanilla GT6? They haven't taken to crowing about sales numbers this go-round either. Why?

Features that were in GT5 were cut from GT6, for no given reason. Those Photo Travel locations they spent so long modelling for GT5? Gone. B-Spec? Gone. Gifting? Gone. We were told Standards would be improved, and were met with less than 1/10th of them getting any sort of update. The 120-ish cars that were actually new to the series consisted of the new GT trademark: number-padding near-duplicates. Here are two Huayras, one with... a splitter! Here's an imaginary Veyron! GT5 was a game that struggled to present itself consistently, with frame rate issues and screen tearing. GT6's solution was to bump resolution and make frame rate issues a constant problem. Success? The paint chips were at least handled a bit better, though there's now no easy way to sort them, and we're still laughably far away from a proper livery editor.

It's far and away the GT I've played the least, and it's convinced me to not buy GT7 until I can either try it out, or get detailed reviews from those I trust on the subject around these parts. Yet there are still those who insist that GT7 will be where PD really gets it right, even though they've a) spent around half the span of GT's life working on titles that didn't do that, and b) already set up the perfect scapegoat for if GT7 doesn't end up a return to form ("working on a new system is HARD"). But more than ever, I can't think of another company - especially a first-party developer - that so often blames the system for its shortfalls, when they of all devs should have an inherent idea of where the limits lie with the system. If an interior designer is told by a condo developer that he only has 600 square feet to work with, and comes back with a sprawling, gorgeous condo layout that takes up 1200, it's still his fault for not staying within the guidelines.
Spot on!

/thread

Last edited:
GT6 the fresh copy without update was a nice change from GT5, but over the year they have added so many FREEEE updates to the game, that it keeps bring me back any time I decide to take a break.

Theres been so many awesome VGTs, so many new track updates. I've sunk so many hours in to the Sierra track. Honestly I like that way more than what ever the the track creator could have offered. They've added the community feature now too.

Only problem i have with the game is that even after playing the game for over 110+ hours, I still don't have enough money to buy all the cars that I want. I'm sitting on just under 60 cars. BSpec would have solved this problem cause i could have made money easily, but I just think PD needs to over money for online races. I spend so much time racing online, upgrading cars, but only get 2-10k per race, which is NOTHING!!!! And no i dont' want to pay for DLC to get in game credits. No thank you.

Love GT6! Best content so far in any GT game.

I spent £60 or £70 on GT6 for the pre order Anniversary Edition, if I remember correctly. I expect there to be more updates to this game, and it needs them. However, there is no question in my mind that this is a game I will continue to play for a long time. It will hold a special place in my mind along with GT5 and Borderlands 1 as my favourite games of the PS3 generation. I've had Borderlands for 5 years and still play it. I will very likely play GT6 until GT7 comes out, as is the way for me and GT games.

Have I got my money's worth? After 2,390 hours of driving on its own, let alone tuning, photomode etc, this game has probably paid for itself many times over. There are problems with the game (many, many problems), but when I'm in a lobby with a few friends, blasting a C 63 AMG around Brands Hatch at 8PM with a fixed 0% water level and rain pattering against the window, I know the game was worth it.

There's nothing like you and a good friend on your own on a fantastic looking track, sitting back and getting away from the insane competition that so many online games employ -

Matterhorn Dristelen _4.jpg

For those who said they did not get their moneys worth how much playing time do you expect to get out of a game on average? I know there have been some games I really liked that had a total play time of less than 40 hours and at most you might enjoy going through them 2 or 3 times before they start to collect dust.

Games like GT and Forza give much more playing time than that so hard to see how they are not worth the money even if there are things missing that should be there or other things we want in the game.

Unless you didn't even get that ~40 hours out of GT6. For some of us, there's simply not enough fun things to do.

I love GT6 and really enjoy playing online. Just got out of a lobby, it was a barrell of laughs. Just some more features like a coursemaker and some more tuning options (read: engine/drivetrain-swaps) and this game would be perfect!

GT6 has the opportunity to the best in the series, but at this moment with most of it's main features missing,
tire wear/fuel consumption, endurance racing, B-Spec & course maker it falls short, not the re-playability that GT5
currently has. Spec 2 update could fix that.

Not much actual racing in a race game and the AI slowing down to let you win says it all really.

It's been a good time trail game but that is all. It is a very long way from being anything else if you have no interest in online.

Unless you didn't even get that ~40 hours out of GT6. For some of us, there's simply not enough fun things to do.

Really? 40 hours is not much, to date the only racing games I have purchased that fell short of that mark were Shift 2 and Horizon neither of which made it to the 8 hour mark before they retired.

In GT6 I probably spent at least 40 hours just racing with one friend online and more than that running through the GT mode and probably that much again tuning and test driving various cars on Willow Springs.

I think if you could not entertain yourself for 40 hours with GT6 you might need to rethink what kinds of games you are buying.

I voted no. It was worth the money, for sure. And worth a lot more.

But it has taken a step backwards fundamentally. I much preferred the racing in GT5, the difference being that the AI were actually competitive and there was standing starts. That's the main differentiator. If they had got those two right, I would have said yes.

Instead, they decided to punch above their own weight, concentrate on graphics and quantity. They tried implement features that they should have known they couldn't produce. Terrible sound does not help either. What's graphics when you only care about driving flat out to reach the top of the podium? It's only useful in my eyes for photography mode. There just isn't a sense of satisfaction when you finish a race first.

What has been really good about this game is the car physics, which I really enjoy. It would be better for less talented wheel users like me to be able to drift confidently, but I'm getting there! But, other than that, really good driving simulator.

I suppose it's my own fault for expecting such enjoyment from GT. Online is great once you find a room. But can be frustrating with these constant updates that mean I have to search for several free hours to update the game. And those bugs, my word... Offline is a piece of junk. As I said, worth what inlaid, but the question asked if it was as good as I hoped. And that's a no.

Really? 40 hours is not much

Depends on the game. There's lots of games that I probably haven't put 40 hours into. But racing games I almost always have.

In GT6 I probably spent at least 40 hours just racing with one friend online and more than that running through the GT mode and probably that much again tuning and test driving various cars on Willow Springs.

See, the difference being I have access to games where the online modes aren't awful. Why would I play GT6 online with the problems with connections and lag, the difficulty searching for rooms for what I want to drive, and the general complete disregard for racing rules, when I could just go run iRacing?

If I'm racing with friends, then it just so happens that my friends that I race with aren't on GT6, so I don't have what you have in that case. But it's possible to race with friends on any game, so that's hardly a point in GT6's favour. You're taking something that is random chance (you having friends with GT6) and trying to chalk it up to GT6 being a good game. It's not related.

I think if you could not entertain yourself for 40 hours with GT6 you might need to rethink what kinds of games you are buying.

Really? I think if you could not understand how someone might not be motivated to play GT6 for 40 hours you might need to rethink the advice that you're giving.

Or do you mean that my problem is that I keep buying games that do specific things better than GT6? That if I didn't have iRacing then I would appreciate GT6's online? That if I didn't have FM4 I would appreciate GT6's customisation? That if I didn't have Assetto Corsa and Project CARS that I'd appreciate GT6's physics? That if I didn't have ALL the games that I have I'd appreciate the breadth of GT6's car and track list?

GT6 has a few tracks and cars that are unique to it, and a few other unique quirks as well. But I'm saying that they're not enough to make me put the disc in over some other game. GT6 does fine, for what it is. If it was the only game that a racing fan was going to have, you could do a lot worse. But it's not enough, for me, to put it in over another game, given the library I have. That's a problem, and it's honestly not what I expected when I bought it.

Course Maker, on the other hand, is damn near unique in modern games. I bought GT6 around February because there had been a decent push of updates for GT6 and I actually believed that based on some of the things Kaz had said that the Course Maker would be due out soon. That one feature was enough that it would have been the reason for me to play GT6 over other games, because there's nothing else that offers that. I got a decent deal on it and was happy enough to quickly run through the content that was in GT6 and wait for the killer feature to drop.

Unfortunately, here we are in December and still waiting. I very much regret assuming that Polyphony would follow through in a timely manner, especially when one of those features that we're still waiting for was the major reason for my purchase.

Back