What's With The Hashtag + 'Useless Comment' Fad?

• Thread starter Robin
  • 95 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I've noticed that its suddenly become popular to add the word 'hashtag' infront of common words or sentences people use in 'street' conversation. I get where this fad has come from (some kind of ironic play on the way twitter works) but when did it start and why oh why do people use it every other bloody sentence!! Its the most bloody annoying thing ever.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Example....

#hashtag# am I bothered

Humanity fail.

You mean people actually saying 'hastag' before summarising their sentence?

This country...

It's probably people getting their tiny brains confused between twitter and real life...

I don't use Twitter and it's bad enough when I see pointless, irrelevant and incessant hastags all over Facebook but to actually say 'hashtag'...

This is why I think we need a Ministry of Common Sense.

REALITY_SLAP_L.jpg

Hashtags were originally for organisation, now they're being used by people too lazy to articulate their thoughts properly.

People really say Hashtag in verbal communication? I've heard people say .com and that annoys the hell out of me to the point where I just stop the conversation dead but to use hashtag is on another level.

I wasn't actually aware this was a thing.

I kind of wish I still wasn't, because now I'm just disappointed in humanity.

The dotcom thing I am hearing more often and that really effs me off.

I've yet to hear hashtag, fortunately. Otherwise it's a case of double-double Picard facepalm.

#WhatsGoingOnInThisThread?

As far as people actually saying 'hashtag' IRL, that's news to me. I hope I don't get to witness that.

I've yet to hear hashtag, fortunately. Otherwise it's a case of double-double Picard facepalm.

I've yet to hear either of them being spoken, actually. I must be one of the lucky ones.

If any of my friends started using such words in sentences, then, well, I would try stop them from doing so again because that would definitely start to irk me pretty quickly.

The one that gets my goat is people who say "lol". Clearly it's not "lol" if you're saying "lol" instead of laughing out loud.

Used in what context?

And good lord you guys are easy to irritate. Remind me never to hang out with the lot of ya, as I tend to drop "Internet" into my day-to-day, usually to emphasize irony or the idiocy of something.

Example "L O L, that thing is so JDM man."

Apparently, irony is hard a concept for many.

Oh, and also, hashtags are used in other social services and sites now as part of their indexing, so it isn't just Twitter. Just FYI.

The one that gets my goat is people who say "lol". Clearly it's not "lol" if you're saying "lol" instead of laughing out loud.

I have a friend who says that out loud frequently. It doesn't particularly grind my gears these days, but I still rile him up every time he says it though :mischievous:

Used in what context?

And good lord you guys are easy to irritate. Remind me never to hang out with the lot of ya, as I tend to drop "Internet" into my day-to-day, usually to emphasize irony or the idiocy of something.

Apparently, irony is hard a concept for many.

Oh, and also, hashtags are used in other social services and sites now as part of their indexing, so it isn't just Twitter. Just FYI.

^^

Pretty much my opinion too.

I just kind off assumed the OP meant people who use it during normal conversation.

When I'm just messing around with friends I use internet slang out loud pretty often, almost all the time, actually. It doesn't really bother me that much, but I'd definitely give someone a weird look if they used in person.

When I'm just messing around with friends I use internet slang out loud pretty often, almost all the time, actually. It doesn't really bother me that much, but I'd definitely give someone a weird look if they used in person.

So wait, did you just say you use it out loud fairly often, but then said you'd give someone a weird look if they used it in person?

Aren't those the same things... :odd:

What the hell is the etymology of "hash tag"? When I was growing up it was always called "Pound".

In the US, with telephone keypads, it's known as a pound key.

But... in the UK I've always known it as the hash key. #

£ is a pound sign. Or writing lbs...

I believe that # is properly known as the number sign. Like, #3 = number three, #824 = number eight hundred and twenty four, and so on.

"What's wrong? You look flustered"
"Tired dotcom"

"Hiya, how's it going?"
"Bored dotcom. Need something to do dotorg"

Sounds serious. We better call the French Academy up and tell them to step their game up to the international level

:rolleyes:

What the hell is the etymology of "hash tag"? When I was growing up it was always called "Pound".

I think British English calls its a hash, US is Pound, but it is really the Number Sign anyhow.

"What's wrong? You look flustered"
"Tired dotcom"

"Hiya, how's it going?"
"Bored dotcom. Need something to do dotorg"

:lol:!!

Thats just over the top...

In the US, with telephone keypads, it's known as a pound key.

But... in the UK I've always known it as the hash key. #

£ is a pound sign. Or writing lbs...

I believe that # is properly known as the number sign. Like, #3 = number three, #824 = number eight hundred and twenty four, and so on.
Oh cool, I wondered where that name came from cause the other month I was on the phone and it told me to press the pound key and I just took a stab and pressed the hash key like a boss hoping it was correct since that's what you normally press in those situations.

Don't you just love international forums :D

Sounds serious. We better call the French Academy up and tell them to step their game up to the international level

:rolleyes:

Some people find it amusing, some people don't.

I use a few internet-related words with my friends, but very few. Usually 'dat.... ' and insisting on pronouncing meme as 'meem', contrary to my friend's pronounciation 'may may'.

Back