Why Subaru IMPREZA Rally Car '99 isn't a Premium Car in GT5?

• Thread starter ERIC11940
  • 92 comments
United States
New York
et11940
ect11940
Remember Gran Turismo HD?

During e3 2006, they showed a e3 demo with a Subaru IMPREZA Rally Car '99 as a "Premium" car in it.

Heres a video of the GTHD demo reply with the Premium version of the rally car that I found on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGmwlFbu3YA

And see how it looks in GT5.

Subaru_IMPREZA_Rally_Car_548-1_medium.JPG

A standard PS2 model in a PS3 game. (Heavy's quote from Team Fortress 2) How could this happen?

This could be a mystery no one hasn't sholved yet. Any of you know why this car isn't a Premium in GT5 like it was in GTHD?

Your guess is as good as ours.
Why didn't the Veyron make it as a Premium, why are the Apex Book and Start screen photomode locations available as well ?

Another odd decision by PD.. I think it was to open up space for more significant cars for premium treatment, like the 330 P4.

Another odd decision by PD.. I think it was to open up space for more significant cars for premium treatment, like the 330 P4.

...And the 2 bassically identical Cappuccinos, and the 2 useless Daihatsu's, and each, Identical Nascar variation.

I have GTHD on my PS3.

It's not in GTHD.

If it was in the GTHD playable demo, then it would have been a Premuin car like the Toyota Celica GT-Four Rally Car (ST205) '95 was when GTHD was release on the PlayStation Store in 2006.

Well I hope there saving the Premium version of the Subaru Impreza Rally Car '99 for one of GT5's future update patch's. We should ask PD about that.

...And the 2 bassically identical Cappuccinos, and the 2 useless Daihatsu's, and each, Identical Nascar variation.
You mean the two Cappuccinos with very different engine characteristics, the Daihatsus which people drive more than you'd ever imagine, and the NASCARs some of which have different suspensions and that all have different interiors, for example?
Eiger was so much cooler back then.
Agreed. It seemed more like a rally stage rather than the terrible circuit it is now. The layout was soo much cooler too.
Agreed I liked the twisty's before the tunnel.
I don't know what you've been playing but my GTHD shows Eiger's layout as very similar to GT5. Naturally no pit road entry but that's about it, certainly no extra twisties anywhere.

That GTHD one... It looks great. Not as good as some of the premiums, but still...... And those shadows don't look to bad either.

noisiaturismo
2 Mini's, 2 Suzuki Swift's...

Both minis are different (Different year different engine one is just cooper and the other one is "S") About the Suzukis I don't have a proper answer right now)

Both minis are different (Different year different engine one is just cooper and the other one is "S") About the Suzukis I don't have a proper answer right now)

On the Minis one you can supercharge ('05), the other you can ('07)turbo. Suzukis, one has a little more torque, and gets a few more HP when you tune it.

There are very few pictures of the subaru. i seem to notice a demonstation showing it as a not very good looking premium, it looked half done..... also notice how the 350z JGTC thats a premium model shown in 05, 06 GTHD, in GT5 it has no Replay driver view option. Its an old premium model so maybe they forgot ?? Who knows n who cares really

I don't know what you've been playing but my GTHD shows Eiger's layout as very similar to GT5. Naturally no pit road entry but that's about it, certainly no extra twisties anywhere.

Did you even watch the video above?

I haven't been playing it. There are two "S" curves one before and one after the tunnel. In GT5 there is a right handed curve before the tunnel and one right hand curve after the tunnel.

Look at 1:41 and 1:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OGmwlFbu3YA#t=97s

Last edited:
The video with premium '99 Impreza is from some early GT:HD version. The track layout was a little different then.

It's weird the car isn't premium in GT5, but what I really wanted to say: Wow, that version of Eiger Nordwand is so much better! It's less wide, little bit more twisty, and the asphalt looks better as well.

I remember when I first saw that video. It was the first time I saw an HD streamed video and I was like "Wow it looks so nice, the public is good looking, in 3D and living. And that tarmac sweet Jesus"
I don't feel like that anymore

It's weird the car isn't premium in GT5, but what I really wanted to say: Wow, that version of Eiger Nordwand is so much better! It's less wide, little bit more twisty, and the asphalt looks better as well.

Hahaha I didn't see that post

I sense that this may be one of the first 'Standard to Premium' conversions made in GT5. Keeping fingers crossed... :nervous:

Perhaps they felt that the model quality was not good enough for the game?

*looks at 800 standard cars*

Or maybe not.

Going a bit off-topic:
I'm thinking that since there have been several things posted in different threads, all the things left out must almost exclusively have been related to technical difficulties. But then does it come to mind things like 2 discs which to install from, etc.

This version of Eiger is very different to the one in GT:HD, and the one in GT:HD is different to the one in GT5, Nuff said.

Even the track looks like a little more organic than what we get in GT5 :\ *shrug* maybe this was a performance test.. but yeah I agree that model is definitely more polygons than the standard we get.

Are there helicopters in GT5? :\

There are very few pictures of the subaru. i seem to notice a demonstation showing it as a not very good looking premium, it looked half done..... also notice how the 350z JGTC thats a premium model shown in 05, 06 GTHD, in GT5 it has no Replay driver view option. Its an old premium model so maybe they forgot ?? Who knows n who cares really

How can you tell if the premium subaru rally car was half done? The inside seem to show it's driver. I saw on old GTHD screenshot of it up close at IGN back in 2006. Heres the photo that I was talking about.

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/713809/gran-turismo-5/images/gran-turismo-hd-20061019041336442.html

But I hope they didn't forgot about it, cuz I'd be upset if they did. For the reply driver option in GT5, are your talking about the ability to look around in the cockpit view?

Well, the Subaru doesn't look as good as a GT5 Premium, just like the Celica in GTHD Concept. They still used low res textures from GT4 on some parts etc. But it definitely looks like a work in progress Premium and I was annoyed when I found out it isn't in the game.

Back