Your thoughts about "standard" vs. "premium"

• Thread starter LP670-4 SV
  • 10,183 comments

What would you have rather had PD do about "premium" vs. "standard" cars

• Keep everthing the same

Votes: 324 19.1%
  • Release the game later with all the cars "premium"

Votes: 213 12.6%
  • Not do "premium" cars at all but focus on other features i.e. dynamic weather

Votes: 134 7.9%
  • DLC packs after the release

Votes: 844 49.8%
  • Wished PD didn't get are hopes up, lol

Votes: 180 10.6%

• Total voters
My theory is that PD may not have a say in what cars go in the game. Sony and the cars manufacturers might have expectations for cars to be in the game, so PD just freshened up the models and pumped them in.

Ultimately, the reason that they don't have 800 premium models... is that the system they have set up right to make the premium models requires a heck of a lot more source material than what they used previously on standard models. It's one thing that the Premium models take some time to create (which I doubt is as long as they say it is, there's details that are missing on X amount of people spending X amount of hours on X car.) but it's another thing entirely to actually go around and gather the pictures/sounds/etc for 800+ cars! Especially for cars that may be hard to find/no longer exist.

With the sheer amount of game content debuting in GT5, I think GT6 will be just like the "Sequels" that come before it. But instead of having more cars (which it could have) there's probably going to be a larger focus on better graphics and more premium vehicles. Could see extra tracks too, and refinement of GT5's mechanics, should something prove faulty. They have all the content to keep us satiated for a very long time (The system wont even really need to be too re-developed for the PS4... unless Yamauchi-san gets big eyes with the system's power), now they can just focus on implementing more cars.

You can't be serious ????? At 30fps you can add more details.

GT5, only replays run at 30fp because they add special effects like, depth of feild, motion blur(not ugly blur of shift) and other things to make it look better than real life :D

Gt dont waste your time bro all he is going to do is come up with some other bugus stuff about shift or something. Its no talking to these folks bro lets just sit back talk about the good with each other and wait till GT5 is in our hands :tup

Edit Damn he beat me to it.

Gt dont waste your time bro all he is going to do is come up with some other bugus stuff about shift or something. Its no talking to these folks bro lets just sit back talk about the good with each other and wait till GT5 is in our hands :tup

Edit Damn he beat me to it.

Feel free to explain to me how my reply is bogus:

And on PS3, you can do a WHOLE LOT BETTER than 4,000 polygon car models (which is what GT4 models had, fyi).

The actual car models in Shift are insanely better than GT5's standard cars, 30fps or not. 30fps is referring to how quickly the graphics engine can render the ingame assets, not how well the cars are actually modeled.

Waaaaaay to many people on here confuse graphics engine quality for car model quality. It's a shame that very few people realize that the 2 are independent. Put an NFS Shift car model in GT5's graphics engine, and it'll look 45,000,000 times better than a standard GT5 model.

And PD the most.

That is a fact.

But they never seem to neglect other things as a result, luckily

For example, include 1000 cars, some with less graphics, rather than less cars with better graphics.

Content > Graphics in this example

And on PS3, you can do a WHOLE LOT BETTER than 4,000 polygon car models (which is what GT4 models had, fyi).

The actual car models in Shift are insanely better than GT5's standard cars, 30fps or not. 30fps is referring to how quickly the graphics engine can render the ingame assets, not how well the cars are actually modeled.

Waaaaaay to many people on here confuse graphics engine quality for car model quality. It's a shame that very few people realize that the 2 are independent. Put an NFS Shift car model in GT5's graphics engine, and it'll look 45,000,000 times better than a standard GT5 model.

30fps has huge impact on games overall gfx(also include car models) and what the gfx engine can do. Now do not say that in shift the trees looks better :crazy:

Standard models will be very good on release, PD/Sony should know better than us. GT5 is technically far superior to other racers

30fps has huge impact on games overall gfx(also include car models) and what the gfx engine can do. Now do not say that in shift the trees looks better :crazy:

Standard models will be very good on release, PD/Sony should know better than us. GT5 is technically far superior to other racers

Im done arguing with king my response are going to be very short and clear for now on

In the end we all will buy the game and it will consume our lives for years 👍

Last edited:
Yeah I know he will keep on saying shift car models are superior to standard models.

The game is 5 months from release and complains have already started :ouch:

Complaints have been going on since GT5 was announced. It's an unfortunate side effect of life.

PD said the models are from GT4 BUT the physics models for each will be new! ,I honestly think they'll spruce it up by release.remember,its not like the God Of War Collection where the cars are in HD,its running in the GT5 engine

So I just looked at the news regarding the Rome track on the front page of this site and in the new screenshots PD released, you can see standard cars on the Rome track in the official screens. For example the Corvette from the standard cars video on the official GT site.

To be honest, I really don't think they look bad? If you go to the new article posted by Jordan maybe you might agree? They certainly look fine alongside premium cars to my eyes at least anyways, and these are proper screenshots, not blurry captures of Youtube videos.

https://www.gtplanet.net/rome-in-gt5-18-megapixel-screenshots-gameplay-videos/

What do you guys think? Also even though the windows appear tinted from a distance, closer up you can clearly see the drivers inside along with rear view mirrors etc. Quite interesting really, but we now have official screenshots with standard cars at least. Can't say I'm disappointed.

I dunno. The Standard cars originally debuting in GT4 seem to look a lot better in GT5 than the Standard cars that were originally from GT3 (they did look better in GT4, but the difference wasn't as vast). Fair enough about reflections, but I'm not seeing as many jagged textures or texture dots in the GT5 versions of the GT4 cars as I did when those cars were in GT4.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that the Standard cars actually look particularly good. Just that they seem to be improved somewhat notably over GT4.

They definitely look better than the GT3 cars in GT4, but that would be expected considering the noteable hardware leap this time around.

Basically I think the standard cars look exactly like what I would expect a last gen model stuck into a new lighting engine on a more powerful rendere to look like.

Essentially it's analogus to taking a PC game running on an older DX9 card and running it on a much more powerful DX10 card at a higher resolution.

Same base stuff, but the fluff to support it does it's job well.

Last edited:
Clearly you haven't heard the news of: Weather, day to night shifts, go karting, TRACK EDITOR, 200+ PREMIUM models that are practically TRUE TO LIFE, NASCAR, WRC, the list continues to grow. If you think that is not a VERY high standard, you're delusional. That is a TON of content for one game. PERIOD.

I have indeed heard all of that. This thread is about standard/premium cars specifically, so funnily enough I've been focussing on the topic at hand.

I'll weigh up features as to my personal interest in them, might help.

Weather/day to night shifts: cool. But not a deal breaker for me either way.

Go karting: only cool if we get to design the tracks. Go kart physics isn't very interesting as they don't have suspension... Kinda like mini F1 cars you can drive flat out most of the time (from my experience driving them anyway). Not that interesting to me. But cool if its in. They're a side dish, not a deal breaker either way.

Premium models: Super important. I've been arguing for better car models as long as all cars can be consistent. I'd rather 250 or 300 premium cars even without all the GT4 cars.

Track editor: Fantastic if it's in. A good implementation would add years to the game, especially if custom tracks work online/in multiplayer. But my feelings are it will be quite limited in scope, and far less exciting than we all hope. Therefore not a deal breaker as I'm not expecting it to be particularly powerful. More likely a curiosity, but cool. I highly doubt we'll be able to create Mount Panorama Bathurst etc...
If this feature was really that powerful or close enough to do interesting tracks, I have mentioned I'd forgive the standard cars.
NASCAR/WRC: I don't need NASCAR at all, only if PD can truly reproduce the great crashes. WRC is a moot point, GT has always included some form of rally since GT2. So not a deal breaker.

Yes, there's a lot of features. But by far and away the most important when it comes to everyone's initial impression of the game will be: "WHOO NEW GT IS FINALLY OUT! HOW SEXY DO THE CARS LOOK ON PS3? Oh... mostly like GT4. Crap".

Subsequently, a lot of folks won't give the rest of the game a chance. Graphics are very important in a new GT release. To deny the issue is far more delusional.

My pun might've slipped past you - I want a "higher standard". As in the "standard" cars should be better than they are. Wasn't referring to the other features, which to me aren't deal breakers one way or the other.

I have indeed heard all of that. This thread is about standard/premium cars specifically, so funnily enough I've been focussing on the topic at hand.

Sorry if I took your post out of context then.

I'll weigh up features as to my personal interest in them, might help.

Weather/day to night shifts: cool. But not a deal breaker for me either way.

Go karting: only cool if we get to design the tracks. Go kart physics isn't very interesting as they don't have suspension... Kinda like mini F1 cars you can drive flat out most of the time (from my experience driving them anyway). Not that interesting to me. But cool if its in. They're a side dish, not a deal breaker either way.

Premium models: Super important. I've been arguing for better car models as long as all cars can be consistent. I'd rather 250 or 300 premium cars even without all the GT4 cars.

Track editor: Fantastic if it's in. A good implementation would add years to the game, especially if custom tracks work online/in multiplayer. But my feelings are it will be quite limited in scope, and far less exciting than we all hope. Therefore not a deal breaker as I'm not expecting it to be particularly powerful. More likely a curiosity, but cool. I highly doubt we'll be able to create Mount Panorama Bathurst etc...
If this feature was really that powerful or close enough to do interesting tracks, I have mentioned I'd forgive the standard cars.
NASCAR/WRC: I don't need NASCAR at all, only if PD can truly reproduce the great crashes. WRC is a moot point, GT has always included some form of rally since GT2. So not a deal breaker.

Yes, there's a lot of features. But by far and away the most important when it comes to everyone's initial impression of the game will be: "WHOO NEW GT IS FINALLY OUT! HOW SEXY DO THE CARS LOOK ON PS3? Oh... mostly like GT4. Crap".

Subsequently, a lot of folks won't give the rest of the game a chance. Graphics are very important in a new GT release. To deny the issue is far more delusional.

GT will have graphics with the premium models. Your point is? I am glad that we are going to have more cars to drive. Also, the models from GT4 STILL look good to deny this is just as delusional. They do NOT look as good as the premium models, but still look fantastic and could compete with most any other game out there right now. We'll just have to wait and see what happens and how people react to it when they're actually playing the game.

My pun might've slipped past you - I want a "higher standard". As in the "standard" cars should be better than they are. Wasn't referring to the other features, which to me aren't deal breakers one way or the other.

Good for you.

One thing we should take into account is that it might not be possible for PD to get their hands on some of the cars in GT3/GT4 anymore. Not that I'm absolving them from anything, I'm just pointing it out.

So I just looked at the news regarding the Rome track on the front page of this site and in the new screenshots PD released, you can see standard cars on the Rome track in the official screens. For example the Corvette from the standard cars video on the official GT site.
I'm not sure that Corvette is a Standard car. It certainly isn't the same model as the car from GT4, as it isn't even the same body style of Corvette.

They definitely look better than the GT3 cars in GT4, but that would be expected considering the noteable hardware leap this time around.
That's not what I meant. What I meant was that, based on the Standard Cars video, the cars originally from GT3 don't seem to look as good as the cars originally from GT4. Only now it is even more noticeable than it was in GT4 because the cars from GT4 seem to be a bit more advanced than they were in GT4.

In essence, the cars from GT3 look like upscaled GT3 cars, but the cars from GT4 look like upscaled somewhat-better-than-GT4 cars. Particularly, none of the cars in the video seem to suffer from those awful texture dots problem that GT4 was plagued with across the board except for the GT3-era Corvette C5R.

not sure if the nissan 370z is a standard or premium car, but this picture shows its handbrake flipped in the wrong position compared to the real car.
untitled-2_05.jpg

not sure if the nissan 370z is a standard or premium car, but this picture shows its handbrake flipped in the wrong position compared to the real car.
untitled-2_05.jpg

It's not a mistake. First of all, those are two different models. The one on the left is left hand drive (the picture is simply reversed) and the right is right hand drive. RHD Z's like the PD model on the right have the e-brake by the passenger seat, and LHD models have it by the driver's seat. It's easier to keep the e-brake in the same location regardless of where the wheel is when making cars for different markets. There's no real need to move it when it doesn't really make a difference.

3953090799_daf82489c1.jpg
FAIRLADY006I.jpg

Last edited:
No, that is correct. When Nissan converted the car to left hand drive, they didn't move the handbrake location. As seen here and here. The E-Brake handle is in the same location in both the Fairlady Z and the 370Z.

If I remember from the E3 thread, the difference between the two is parts falling off and "full" interior. If full just means more interior than standard, then Premium and Standard are the same to me.

I dunno where some of you guys are getting the notion that the Standard cars are just GT4 models thrown into the GT5 engine.

Kaz has reiterated many times that NO game data was carried over from previous GTs and that EVERY car model has been built from scratch.

Prologue set the bar for standard cars.

I dunno where some of you guys are getting the notion that the Standard cars are just GT4 models thrown into the GT5 engine.

Kaz has reiterated many times that NO game data was carried over from previous GTs and that EVERY car model has been built from scratch.

Updated Cars From Past Gran Turismo Games Present An Unrivaled Lineup

image03a.jpg

Includes over 800 cars

Click the image above to view the video.The massive lineup of cars from past Gran Turismo games has been beautifully recreated through the latest technology and the Playstation 3’s cutting-edge graphics.

Gran Turismo 5 feature an astounding 800+ cars, a vast collection covering a wide range of eras and categories.

In gran-turismo.com

come on mate at least do some research before posting!!

come on mate at least do some research before posting!!

I don't know. I think this whole Standard vs Premium thing is still up in the air. Did you see the new pics that were just posted in the news area. There is a clear pic of a Corvette Stingray in the pic, while there was also one the official "Standard" car video from PD.

To be honest, I really don't think they look bad? If you go to the new article posted by Jordan maybe you might agree? They certainly look fine alongside premium cars to my eyes at least anyways, and these are proper screenshots, not blurry captures of Youtube videos.

https://www.gtplanet.net/rome-in-gt5-18-megapixel-screenshots-gameplay-videos/

What do you guys think? Also even though the windows appear tinted from a distance, closer up you can clearly see the drivers inside along with rear view mirrors etc. Quite interesting really, but we now have official screenshots with standard cars at least. Can't say I'm disappointed.

I think you might be right. I noticed this as well. The only difference with the two corvettes is one is a Coupe and the other is a Convertible. But they are both Stringrays.

whoever thinks that the standard cars are gonna somehow magically turn from last-gen to current-gen standards in the next 5 months before release... is seriously misguided.
I don't think anyone has said that yet.
It may not have been said verbatim, but it's been heavily implied many times.
Ohhhhh......... so, if you imagine something to be true, that makes it true... gotcha. :D

Actually, it was late when I posted that, and I didn't catch what kingcars actually said: that "the standard cars are gonna somehow magically turn from last-gen to current-gen standards in the next 5 months."

Now, I haven't read every post in this crazy thread, but who even implied that, other than possibly one of the youngsters here? Or Dev... maybe it was you, and you forgot what you posted. :lol:

Anyway, browser was open here, I'm outta here. You guys have fun ranting again. Maybe you'll feel better after another hundred posts. Who knows, maybe GT5 will be out by then, and you can decide if you're getting it or not. 👍

Nope it has not been confirmed that standard cars don't have interior. Also there are member who wrote email to people who went to E3 and got a interview with the GT5 team. In those emails they have said standard cars will have interiors in the end we have to wait for more information. There is a lot of great new information that GT5 has so if your not excited I'm sorry GT5 let you Down. Maybe your a hard cookie, however I don't believe that because you said you play Forza3 faithfully right? That game is Forza2 with better graphics imo.

You are quite right, FM3 is just FM2 with improved graphics and physics (tyre flex, interiors, improved tuning etc). However, I dont have an issue with that because its the same console, the same technology generation and only took 3 years to produce - I didnt expect a massive leap, more a refinement - which is what most FM3 players (including me) acknowledge the game as.

But GT5 from GT4 is a totally new console - which was/is spectacularly expensive - hugely hyped with totally huge new storage media, and supposedly totally amazing and staggering in every respect. I don't think you could call GT5's progression from GT4 to be staggering while keeping a straight face, its just not enough given the amount of blarb thats been banded around - both from Sony and PD.

The over ruling factor here though is that all of this of course is just hearsay, as until the game is out - none of us really know what is and isnt in the game, how good it is and if there are other factors about it that make those niggles just disappear (just as GT4 was for me).

I guess my real issue is that I just find the whole premium thing to be a nicely dressed way of saying "These are the cars we could be bothered with!", the rest of them are just half done.

I've never been disappointed with ANY GT game yet (and I have them all, concepts and prologues included, upto but not including anything PS3), but GT5 is leaving me underwhelmed. I hope the reality is far better :)

You are quite right, FM3 is just FM2 with improved graphics and physics (tyre flex, interiors, improved tuning etc).

Sorry to quote you but I wander when I read this what would be the reaction of the majority of those who bash people for criticizing some aspects of GT5, if it was FM3 to included upscaled cars from previous titles next to last gen models, and to feature only cockpit view in the latest.

Hi everyone,
may you please tell me whats going on with this standard and premium, because I´m not up to date?
I have some thoughts, would be nice, if you could tell me if I am wrong.
Interior is not cockpit!
So standards have no interior but that don´t mean they have no cockpit!
Was it confirmed, that they don´t have cockpit view?
GTP
So all GTP cars has been standard or premium?
That would be very interesting because when they where standard there would be no Problem!

And as long as the standard cars drive like the premium and have mechanical damage there is no problem right?

What I read very often is, that PD need 5 years for 200 Premium and a few tracks and this I think is not right.
I think PD need:
3 month for GT hd
6 month for GTP
1 year for GTPSP
3 month for all the demos
So that are ca. 2 years they need beside the GT5 project.
Thats only a guess but could be.

Hi everyone,
may you please tell me whats going on with this standard and premium, because I´m not up to date?
I have some thoughts, would be nice, if you could tell me if I am wrong.
Interior is not cockpit!
So standards have no interior but that don´t mean they have no cockpit!
Was it confirmed, that they don´t have cockpit view?
GTP
So all GTP cars has been standard or premium?
That would be very interesting because when they where standard there would be no Problem!

And as long as the standard cars drive like the premium and have mechanical damage there is no problem right?

What I read very often is, that PD need 5 years for 200 Premium and a few tracks and this I think is not right.
I think PD need:
3 month for GT hd
6 month for GTP
1 year for GTPSP
3 month for all the demos
So that are ca. 2 years they need beside the GT5 project.
Thats only a guess but could be.

- it's not confirmed but black windows and Kaz asking via twitter if we want black frame cockpit suggest it.
- prologue cars are premium.
- they drive the same but you can't drive them in the same way cause you'r forced to use a different view than cockpit and rhis ruin the simulation experience. (if there is no cockpit)

Back