Zombies! Pick a Car for the Apocalypse

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 342 comments
Only if you knew how to acquire it, then knew how to properly load a payload of munitions, then knew how to take off and fly it, then knew how to drop the payload on a target without missing, then knew how to land it. If you could do all of that then yes you could use a B-52.

Or you could keep it simple and learn how to fly this. 💡

Last edited:
1050-Ford-Model-T-Turns-100.jpg

I don't know about you guys, but I think the ultimate Zombie Apocalypse vehicle is one that you don't need spare parts for when it breaks...

Here's my post-apocalyptic rational for why the zombies won't get me by walking on the ocean floor. Physiologically they're still fundamentally human. This means they're relying primarily on eyesight (especially under water) to get them where they want to go. Beyond a depth of about 200 meters water gets very very dark - and it's definitely deeper than 200 meters between the Los Angeles coast and Catalina island. So any zombies that foolishly decide to wander off into the ocean will get lost and wander around while they get picked at by fish.

Plus, I would think that as with a human, if they were to go deep enough they would be crushed by the water pressure.

Okay, I'm gonna make the joke...

Volvo%2018-wheeler%20Truck.JPG

This...

Loaded with these.

tylenol_jpg.jpg

Of course, I'll have to defend them from this guy...

But I figure if I throw a bottle out the window, I'll be fine.

[/Left4deadjoke]

Plus, I would think that as with a human, if they were to go deep enough they would be crushed by the water pressure.

If we're to assume they don't need to breathe then they could sink quite a bit further.

Well if we are talking of a fort, lets make it a classy one and build on something like this.

Le%20Mont%20Saint-Michel-1993-.jpg

......except the fact that it isn't always cut off by water....and that there's always the road that goes there.

Oh - and beware of the mosquitos. If the zombies don't get you, mozzies will.

I don't think water will keep you totally safe. They can get washed ashore, you know. And when that happens, they can catch you totally off-guard!
Feel free to make one when we're done here. I know Keef and I would be interested.
Sounds good. 👍

In the making of the zombie shelter thread, I'd welcome any ideas, suggestion on rules. Guy, please PM me!

I don't think water will keep you totally safe. They can get washed ashore, you know. And when that happens, they can catch you totally off-guard!

That's a fair point. Dead bodies do float. I still very much doubt that they would float far enough without getting eaten, but it is a possibility, especially if they're floating on some sort of ship wreckage.

I think that just means that even an island has to be fortified. This is something you'd want to do anyway in case the zombies ever gained enough intelligence or organization to try to send boats after you.

Now that everyone has brought to light zombies' ability to walk under water, and the chance that they might wash ashore or develop intelligence, it makes me believe more firmly in the idea of traveling light, constantly moving, and killing them whenever the opportunity presents itself or whenever you have to. Let's take some extreme examples.

In Zombieland we have a good representation of the classic zombie, and they are attracted to light, noise, and activity as we saw at the theme park, and they also follow you whenever they catch a glimpse of you moving. Therefore no matter where your stronghold is, if it makes any noise, light, or if they saw you go there they would attempt to follow en masse. In this movie the tactics were to be on the move and kill, kill, kill, and it succeeded.

In 28 Days Later and its sequel we see extremely aggressive, fast, and powerful creatures with zero intelligence. We learn they cannot reproduce, and more importantly they can starve to death. If you hold them off until they run out of food we can assume that they'll starve before life "finds a way" and they reproduce or get crafty. In the first movie we saw various groups of people. The first constantly moved during the day and built booby traps for various scenarios. The second stayed put and made killing easy by funneling zombies through noise makers, up stairs and into a bottleneck. The third was well established and had a very elaborate system of killing zombies and rescuing survivors. The main characters gave up hiding, went on the move, and went so far as to sabotage what seemed like a very well fortified hideout, instead opting to move once again. The zombies eventually starved. The second movie didn't end so well, however.

In I Am Legend we see a strange type of zombie. At first they're unable to be in light because they'll burn up, and we see booby traps set to take advantage of that. We also see that they are extremely aggressive and active at night time, to the point where the main character has built an intensely fortified and defended hideout. The problem with these monsters is that they eventually develop some intelligence and find a way to shield themselves from the sun via a hoodie. Apparently they built their own booby trap, or used an existing one to grab the main character. We learn once again that these monsters will follow you, and that they actually have feelings and intelligence. Ultimately the fortification failed and the characters had to flee to a safe zone.

We've got three instances of hideouts failing miserably. Given those examples and some general characteristics that all zombies have it just makes more sense to move before they catch onto you than to inevitably invite them into your house as will eventually happen. Relying on a structure for defense is too much of a liability because as the structure gets damaged you have to mend it, thereby failing to actively defend yourself. With an enemy so violent and in such massive numbers a structure is more useful as a strategic distraction to buy yourself time to get the hell out of Dodge.

However, in Shaun of the Dead they've shown that they are slow, are attracted to Queen, and don't recognize the living if they act like a zombie.

I feel its safe to assume Shaun of the Dead is a parody. But it would be an ideal situation. Luckily I live near a Jag dealership so I'd be in good shape.

In Shaun of the Dead, we learned you can kill a zombie with an LP if you have enough time to practice your aim. :lol:

......except the fact that it isn't always cut off by water....and that there's always the road that goes there.

Oh - and beware of the mosquitos. If the zombies don't get you, mozzies will.

And since Zombiehood is a virally-induced condition... if there are zombies next door and mosquitos feed from both of you... :D

-

Fortifications should work for anything but "I Am Legend" type creatures.

Alcatraz, for one, would be an excellent fort. Sealed inside and out, on the water so you can go fishing. You'd just have to clean out any zombies nesting in there before you move in.

And if we've got "I Am Legend" type zombies, you could create a fortification out in farm country using tornado shelters linked by tunnels. Farm during the day, bunker in at night. Just be careful not to give your position away... as that type may be intelligent enough to come burn your crops in the night.

For about a half way through the movie!

Edit: I've only received one PM regarding ideas for the zombie apocalypse shelter thread. I welcome suggestions. So far, I'm learning towards posting two types of shelters. A real life shelter you could muster up in real life, also a fantasy one that can be any real life structure(baseball stadium, the White House, etc.). This is the car thread, so please send your input to me via PM.

I want to include weapons in the new thread. Is this a good idea? Let me know(via PM).

Last edited:
Keef, the whole point of the superyacht is just to have a portable fortress. It's just going to be anchored a couple meters off shore and maybe a mile out until it's time to resupply. Then you can go get ammo food and diesel with the trucks and the helicopter. The superyacht could at least be HQ for human resistance. A
mobile command center and infirmary. It's
not like we couldn't go find a battleship or create a fleet for ourselves. Are there any nuclear Ships besides aircraft carriers?

Are there any nuclear Ships besides aircraft carriers?
Submarines. Good luck manning a military ship without a military crew though. We learned in 28 Days Later that relying on military personnel for defense in a life or death situation like zombies isn't a very good idea. Their own intentions will probably be placed on top of your safety since you're a burden to them.

Fortifications should work for anything but "I Am Legend" type creatures.

Nothing works particularly well for them. Running constantly isn't great either, because eventually you'll run right into a booby trap.

But moving places they wouldn't expect and faster than their knowledge of you can travel could help you avoid booby traps. It's hard to set a trap for something if you don't know it's coming.

But moving places they wouldn't expect and faster than their knowledge of you can travel could help you avoid booby traps. It's hard to set a trap for something if you don't know it's coming.

It's not hard to get someone to pick a particular route. If they're smart enough to get past your fortifications, they're probably smart enough to figure out where you're going for supplies next. If they have numbers and are organized, they can set up traps for you at multiple locations by anticipating your responses.

It might even be easier than breaking down your fort.

In the zombie apocalypse situation, I'd stick with forts. People fail in movies, because horror movie people/characters are real dummies. They keep doing things that make your eyes roll, sometimes almost begging to die.

I think being on the move only works if you are trying to get to a destination, like in 28 Days Later, Dawn on the Dead(remake), etc. If you are on the move, all the time, I think the zombies will get you sooner than later.

Here's my plan of attack; drive quickly to Mercer Island once there's a certain balance between humans and zombies.

mercer%20island%201.jpg

When I'm there, blow all but one of the bridges. Put small forts on the bridge, and have patrols line the coast. Create a small society on that island, and make the car I suggested earlier, and go on extermination parties.

My rule for entering the island is that you must be human. That is it.

Now then, post flaws, if you wish.

I feel like Blake Island would be better... It's a little farther from land (so it's harder to get to) and smaller so it's easier to patrol.

Also, staying on the move would be a good solution assuming that the zombies have to walk everywhere and they're not in communication with other zombies. Plus you might have a decent chance of finding more humans. Safety in numbers is good.

Back