Replica of Autopolis v1.0
- Number Of Turns:
- Length (Unit):
This is my recreation of the magnificent circuit at a mountainous region in southern Japan.
The circuit opened in 1990 and was built at a cost of $500 million by the wealthy real-estate developer and investment banker Tomonori Tsurumaki (who made headlines in 1989, when during a Paris auction, he successfully bid a Pablo Picasso painting Les Noces de Pierrette for $51.3 million from his Tokyo hotel room).
Meanwhile the circuit has changed hands several times, in 2005 it was finally purchased by Kawasaki Motor Company.
The only major international race held at Autopolis was the 1991 World Sportscar Championship season final race, the 1991 430km of Autopolis which was won by Michael Schumacher and Karl Wendlinger in a Sauber Mercedes C291. The plans of an F1 race could never be realized as the circuit can only be reached through relatively narrow winding mountain roads and hotels for visitors are hours away.
Today Autopolis hosts domestic series only including Super GT, Super Formula, the Super Taikyu endurance series and the All Japan Road Race Championship for motorcycles.
The layout of the track provides a great flow and there are quite massive elevation changes.
While the homestraight is the highest point of the track T 3 to T 7 and T 12/13 are located at the bottom of the terrain. For that reason the section out of T 1 and the section from T 11 to T 12 are downhill while the other sections (T 7 to T 11 and T 13 to T 18 are uphill). That results in some challenging and fast corner combinations and beautiful views to the woodland landscape.
v1.0 Release Notes:
Have fun racing this great track!
- proper track width (12 m)
- track length only 30 m longer than original
- accurate route drawn over aerial image
- correct radii for every turn thanks to an available radii map
- elevation close to original for most parts of the track
- curbs placed at original positions
- sadly TPE didn’t allow the position of the characteristic track gate
- furthermore at T 18 only one grandstand was placeable
- some tents placed to represent track facilities like parking lots or houses
- many trees and banks symbolize the original atmosphere
- picturesque views going down to T 3 and T 12
Original Track onboard lap
Original Track Map
Replica Track Map
Original Aerial View
Original Elevation and Radii