do i need this game?

• Thread starter poolio
  • 124 comments
Do you need this game? I am damn sure you do, I've played it for 2 days and let me tell ya, this is the best racing game I've ever played. The physic is wonderful, this is the first racing game that makes me sweat trying to keep the car on the track. With the idiots, the rankings system in Enthusia life may be confusing, but to me, it's briliant, it rewards you for good driving and punishes you for being a reckless driver, it's that simple. The game graphics are also very good IMO, most of the track were very well designed, in fact, some of them look wonderful, even better than some tracks in GT4, Edge of the Road is the newest track that I unlocked, and i really love this track.
I think those guys in gamespot, IGN and gamespy who reviewed this game need to have their ears cut off, they give the sound of enthusia such a low socre, which is really stupid. The sound of the cars in enthusia jsut simply the best out there, Even Gt4 can't come close to enthusia when it comes to car sound. Finally, I really hope that Konami will (and please) release Enthusia 2 for PS3 with more real tracks, more cars, even better physic and damage, that would be wonderul.

I bought Enthusia today (after reading about it here ;) ) and I almost instantly fell in love with it. It's hard to describe, I just love the way the cars behave comparing to GT4. Not getting along well with the points system though, not that it's bad that it rewards you for good driving and punish you for bad, but I simple can't understand how they're calculated. Anyway, on an overall scoring list 1-10, it get's a 8,9 from me.

pamoer
I bought Enthusia today (after reading about it here ;) ) and I almost instantly fell in love with it. It's hard to describe, I just love the way the cars behave comparing to GT4. Not getting along well with the points system though, not that it's bad that it rewards you for good driving and punish you for bad, but I simple can't understand how they're calculated. Anyway, on an overall scoring list 1-10, it get's a 8,9 from me.

I'm glad our forum is "converting" people, so to speak. :D 👍

The Enthu points are calculated based upon how often you hit/rub cars or walls, and how much time you spend off-course. The ranking points are calculated based upon your odds in a particular race (Taking an Evo against economy cars --> low odds. Taking a Trueno against sportscars --> high odds) and the amount of Enthu points you lost in that race.

Racing in an R34 against economy cars, hitting walls and going off-course while doing so, will get you very little points. Racing in a Miata against sportscars, staying on course and passing the opposition cleanly, will get you lots of points. :)

Hey, thanks! :D That cleared up the stuff that I was missing. I had got the basics down like to not hit the walls or the cars, but thanks for clearing up the rest!:D 👍

Tomorrow and on friday I'm looking forward to whole days of Enthusia and also some GT4 with my Driving Force. Only been able to play Enthusia with DS2 yet, but I know how much I loved playing GT4 with the DF, so :D......

I'm having a little problem here.....I've done, and won, the "King of the year" race in the first year, at that time I was ranked no. 1 and with 11000-ish in rankingpoints. Now, 6 weeks or so into year 2 I'm down to 36 on the ranking and 6000 rankingpoints, even though I've been winning every race I've raced in. For the last of the races it stated I'd get 1600 ranking points, but after the race it rather took it away the added it to the total. What is this, do I have to run much cleaner races in year 2?

pamoer
I'm having a little problem here.....I've done, and won, the "King of the year" race in the first year, at that time I was ranked no. 1 and with 11000-ish in rankingpoints. Now, 6 weeks or so into year 2 I'm down to 36 on the ranking and 6000 rankingpoints, even though I've been winning every race I've raced in. For the last of the races it stated I'd get 1600 ranking points, but after the race it rather took it away the added it to the total. What is this, do I have to run much cleaner races in year 2?

Your ranking points aren't a total from your entire Enthusia Life career; they're the sum of the best 9 races you've done in the last 12 weeks.

ranking8pr.jpg

The yellow bars are the points that the game counts towards your rank, and the grey bars (or empty rows, in the case of Week 8, which happens when you get zero points for switching cars, or resting, or something) are disregarded. You'll notice that the game counts your 9 best rows.

Let's say that you had the points above, and then switched cars...
ranking26in.jpg

Week 1 has rotated off of the screen, so those points are no longer being counted. That opened up a spot in the 9 best rows, and that spot has been filled by Week 12, which was previously grey and not counted. So now, the rows that are being disregarded are 4, 8, and 13.

Since Week 12 replaced Week 1, yet Week 12 had less points than Week 1, the ranking point total dropped.

That's the third or fourth time I've explained it to someone, but I still haven't really found a way to explain it without drawing pictures of the point bars.... :lol:

Wolfe2x7
That's the third or fourth time I've explained it to someone, but I still haven't really found a way to explain it without drawing pictures of the point bars.... :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to explain brilliantly how the system works.
I'm an electronic technician, so I really enjoy nice graphs, charts and diagrams.
Visual learning is important to me.
Well done

And as I dont want to look like someone who hijack the thread:
you need this game , it's a must for any PS2 racing sim fan.
The reviewers will never give higher ratings to Enthusia than to GT4 because they are so scared that Sony "might" forget to send them the GT5 preview .

Thanks; I'm a visual learner myself. "Nice charts and graphs?" I'm flattered. :embarrassed: I just kinda threw those together in MS Paint, if it wasn't obvious enough already. ;)

Question: Do you have a Driving Force Pro?

If Yes: You need Enthusia

If No: You should get one, and Enthusia

Simple enough, I think.

Onikaze
Question: Do you have a Driving Force Pro?

If Yes: You need Enthusia

If No: You should get one, and Enthusia

Simple enough, I think.

Hey now, I would argue that a DFP isn't necessary to enjoy Enthusia. I have had tons o' fun drifting about with the DS2. :)

But the DFP certainly helps enhance the realism. :) 👍

Wolfe2x7
Hey now, I would argue that a DFP isn't necessary to enjoy Enthusia. I have had tons o' fun drifting about with the DS2. :)

But the DFP certainly helps enhance the realism. :) 👍

Yeah, I have a friend who REFUSES to use the DFP and Enthu is his favorite game. He can almost drift as well as I can using the dfp. AND I CAN DRIFT A WHOLE LAP AT DR PERFECT!!! (IMO, of course)

Enthusia has become my default racing game.
I picked up GT4 a few days ago to reminice about a few tracks, but then quickly put it back again.
The physics of Enthusia are worth the price of admission alone.
Nice CLOSE races (if you are man enough to pick the high-odds races) usually ending a few seconds in front of second place. Even gladly finishing second at times!
Races that finish with me laughing in relief.....things that rarely happen in GT4 yet are pretty much the norm in EPR.
Its great to play a game where you are actually racing the competition as opposed to blowing out a huge lead and finishing laps ahead of second place.
I remember DE-tuning cars in GT4 just to make races more realistic/interesting.
Also, a fake track like Lowenseering or Burgenshlucht kick the crap out of Fuji or Motegi any day of the week.

Yeah, the fact that the racing is actually interesting, challenging, and unpredictable is a blast.

The car you expect to hound you doesn't always, and coming in second in a lot of cases still feels like a hell of a feat.

Not sure which thread was talking about the perfect game, but I think GT4's graphics/replay set up, mix of GT4 and Forza tuning systems, Forzas Engine Swaps, Forza's customizability/maybe damage, Enthusias Sounds, Tracks from all three (keep Dragon Range, and GT4's Nurburgring with a few corners/elevation changes fixed), mix of Enthusia/Forza's AI (though EPR's keeps me plenty happy, I just like how Forza's supposedly learns), and EPR's physics/feedback engine.

The most important thing in a racing sim though, is the physics/feedback.

GT4 may be pretty, but it still can't fool your eye completely, so all that glitz is wasted.

Forza may be...uh...easy, but it doesn't even pretend to feel real, so all the personalization and online play is wasted.

Enthusia may not be as pretty as others, or easy at all, but it FEELS right.

Yes, you need this game if you love cars.

I've just picked this game up for £15, I wasn't going to get it since most of the cars are in GT4 and I already have about 7 sims for the PC, but for £15 I couldn't complain. Not played it yet thouh.

live4speed
I've just picked this game up for £15, I wasn't going to get it since most of the cars are in GT4 and I already have about 7 sims for the PC, but for £15 I couldn't complain. Not played it yet thouh.

Considering you're one of the most proeminent (sp?) users of these boards (it's either that or it's just me noticing your avatar every time I see it :D ) I'm curious about your thoughts on this game. Let me just tell you this: don't let the dark menus and confusing rules make you uninterested. Focus on the races and the feel you'll get while driving the cars. Than let us know what you think. And if you can go back to GT4 and still get any interest from driving in that game.

I've already lost most interest in GT4 :lol:, I'll have a go later. Confusing menu's or not, I'll try to keep my opinion until I get to the racing. 👍.

I suggest starting with the Driving Revolution levels.

They let you get used to the physics and feel, and allow you to unlock a lot of cars to just play with in Free Racing mode.

I'm up to level 12 or 13 I think, 65% completion, and I just unlocked B-Class cars.

Woo Hoo Mustang GT!

I have to say, so far I'm impressed. I haven't got far in the game yet, just done a few races and the handling even in the slower cars feels far more natural than they do in GT4, the way the cars grip and the power deliver are both much better in this game. Add in my wheel and it's a winner, I don't have the manual clutch thuogh, unless theres a clutch pedal I'll keep it on auto.

NSX-R
Have you tried more advanced sims? Like LFS and GTR? How do they compare?

I have tried the 2 demo, I even tried GT legend demo, LFS control look a lot like Enthusia, but once you slide out the front tire doesn't slide like it should be & when you rock it hard, the direction the car take is wrong. That's why I said it look a bit like GT4. GTR is the feeling of the car that's quite gripy, but once you slide the car goes everywhere & extremly unpredictable. In GT legend old car act a lot like Enthusia when you brake, but it's like GTR, lol!

I seem to be biased by Enthusia, but I'll try to make a video with real driver behind the seat & the DFP in action.

NSX-R
Have you tried more advanced sims? Like LFS and GTR? How do they compare?
It's very good, I think if you don't a have a wheel for the PS2 though you won't get as much benefit from the game. I'm going to say at this point I still prefer GTR, mainly for the realistic racing ie flags, grid sizes ect. Physics wise, it's hard to compare since GTR is race cars and this is road cars, both feel right. LFS S2 I think is fantastic physics wise, but once I drive a few faster cars I'll tell you how it compares in more detail. As it is, Enthusia gets 👍👍👍.

For me, LFS is the most realistic driving game, period. Enthusia is right up there in a close second, physics-wise, but its content (tracklist, licensed cars, etc.) blows LFS away completely. :lol: On the other hand, if I want to race online, LFS is the way to go. :) 👍

GTR and GTL are impressive, but they're based on the F1 2002 engine, which wasn't the most realistic racing game, and it shows. They're very realistic, almost on par with LFS and Enthusia (LFS S2 has some racecars, which offer a closer comparison compared to Enthusia's boosted R class), but they're not quite there.

@live4speed: I'm glad to see you like EPR! Now we have another member who can help us advocate this very unloved game. :)

I had to pick up my copy from WalMart at near full price (waiting for the price to drop a bit).
There were only 2 copies left from the origional 5, and I assumed it would not be re-stocked.
I was right.
Haven't seen a copy anywhere since.
If a superpower like WalMart doesn't re-stock at least once, a title is in trouble.

Okay here's my impression after a second day of playing Enthusia only today I had more time on it and I've finally got a TVR, oh yes (only a Tamora mind the babiest of TVR's but still). Enthusia is imo very much a drivers game, not a game for the type of people that like to put the power down full on exiting every corner, that'll only work on some of the lesser powered cars. I've decided to take a leaf out of Hun200kmh's book and keep with the one car until I get it to level 10 and only then change to a newer car. I've found that this completely removes the I'm not keen on this car, just because I spun it on the first attempt with it syndrome. So far I've maxed out the Mg MGB (my first car) and my Renault Alpine A110, I've had test drives in one or two others including the Tamora which is just mean.

Handling wise it's definitely the best and most realistic console racer around, I just love the way this game plays. In a market dominated by fake simulations this game deserves more than it's recieved, it's a true masterpiece and I hope to god that Konami don't give up on any potential sequel because of poor sales for this one. I honestly didn't expect this game to be so damn hard to put down having already experienced the delights of LFS S2, GTR and RFactor all of which I own. But I think it's the variety the game gives combined with the realism, what is a pity is that it doesn't have a proper in car view, but I can live with the first person one instead, for a game like this I can anyway but still even without an incar view an over the bonnet cam would have been nice as well. With regards to the car selection, theres a good few cars that caught me by suprise when I came up against them, cars like the Lancia 037, Citoren DS and others are cars that I really, really want to win, but everytime I race against them I either get something else or get nothing :sad:. I did a race earlier on the high speed oval (I'll call it an oval even though it's more like a square) and I wanted every car I came up against exept 1, a Honda City, guess what I won, the Honda City :sad:. I don't mind that though, becasue I would have got it at some point anyway and now if I race against it I won't re-win it.

Another thing I do love about this game is the Enthu points, I was a bit sceptical at first, and there are times when it's a little frustrating like when the AI cars hit you. But overall getting a bump by an aI car has no where near the consequences as it does in GT4's specail condition races, what the Enthu points do is tmake sure you try to race fai and don't cut corners and don't use other cars as brakes or barriers ect. I think even though it would have been nice to not lose any if an aI car hits the back of you, it's overall implemented superbly.

Words cannot describe how satisfying this game is, I've yet to do a touge course but I'll save that for tomorrow. Like I said, it's a game for people that enjoy driving. A major complaint I had with GT4 was that the AI was crap, it's not superb here, it's a lot better than GT4's but thats not saying much. But the difference is in the physics, Enthusia keeps you on your toes all the way through every race, GT4 doesn't so when your'e well ahead in GT4 it's boring, you get ahead in Enthusia and you're constantly correcting the car, making little adjustments, lining it up for the next corner, the feedback you get is great. And I've not even started on the 900 degree's with the DFP yet, it's heaven.

Overall out of 10, I'd give this game 10.

Back