do i need this game?

• Thread starter poolio
  • 124 comments
Ah ha, another convert!

I've been preaching on the Gamefaqs GT4 board about it, they had a topic about what was better, GT3, or GT4...I just said Enthusia...so they all start ranting "You probably never played GT4" Uh...had it since launch day, had a DFP for about 4 months now...try again.

NSX-R
Wait until you get dragon range, it's a blast.
...or the Lowenseering (reminds me of Spa Francorchamps)
Great tracks even if they are fictional.
Give me great fictional tracks over 5 different Fuji's any day.
I like the Nurb on this one better too even without the graffitti.

The Nurburgring in EPR is actually terrifying.

In GT4 it's too safe, no real worries about screwing up unless you do something spectacularly stupid like try to get 90 degrees of drift angle all the way around the Karrussel or through Flugplatz.

The only really annoying thing is the AI's tendency to ram you half way round corners, in a powerful rwd car thats not nice, especially if you're already sliding at the point of impact. I've driven dragon range, and thats an ace track, I'm at rank 411th at the moment, I'm hardly changing becasue I'm sticking with my current car until I get it to level 10 tune, I've fully tuned a Vovlo S40 R, which was a blast off road. The rallying in the game is great as well.

live4speed
The only really annoying thing is the AI's tendency to ram you half way round corners, in a powerful rwd car thats not nice, especially if you're already sliding at the point of impact. I've driven dragon range, and thats an ace track, I'm at rank 411th at the moment, I'm hardly changing becasue I'm sticking with my current car until I get it to level 10 tune, I've fully tuned a Vovlo S40 R, which was a blast off road. The rallying in the game is great as well.

O RLY? I find some cars very reluctant to turn on gravel... mustang :grumpy: ...

Every time I check this thread it makes me want to get back playing this game. If I remember correctly I stopped at rank #2.

Onikaze
Go play it then!

I recommend trying to get a Ruf CTR or Shelby 427 S/C down the Dragon Range without any black flags.

Your a mad man. lol Cobra's were not meant for touge runs LMFAO. HEY..............That could be quite a good challenge though.............I'll get right on that. 💡

Thanks for the idea man!! 👍

after all i went through whilst deciding whether or not to buy this game i finally bought it and left it on my shelf for a few months :dopey:

anyhoo i've got round to spending some serious time with it this week and i'm having a blast. it's such a great alternative to gt and forza. i dont want to get into all the comparisons because enthusia is a cracking game in its own right.

looking forward to a weekend of quality racing

I've only gotten the Cobra down clean once, with a slow opponent.

The CTR is how I got my M1 Procar unlocked.

I went to check on the grid and there it is...so I'm like, CRAP!

Drive smooth, drive smooth, drive smooth...don't hit the wall...NO..NO..DON'T HIT THE WALL!

live4speed
The only really annoying thing is the AI's tendency to ram you half way round corners, in a powerful rwd car thats not nice, especially if you're already sliding at the point of impact.

Hey, at least they're trying to win. :) Wait until you unlock the Expert difficulty level...the A.I. will have no qualms with "using" you to get around a corner. :lol:

EPR's difficulty setting is more like an "agressiveness" setting, but at least the A.I. is capable of presenting a bit of a challenge. :) 👍

You have to unlock the "expert" level? How do you do that? I just have my setting on the harderst in the begining of my playing... I don't remeber what the setting it was... I think my youthful acuity of memory is failing me.

Yeah my complaint about the AI isn't every corner of every race, it's just every now and then one will smack into you and ruin your race, it's more annoying in the free race mode because you want to win the other cars, you don't get flaggd for them hitting you, but the resulting spin into the wall that sometimes happens gets you one.

Ah, that's why I say use DR mode to unlock cars in FR mode.

I've got A-F unlocked, so besides the occasional race against a Racecar that I can beat with what I'm driving (like CTR Vs. M1 Procar down Dragon Range) all the cars are unlocked.

I wish I could tell you guys how I got it, but I just sorta discovered it one day, under "Free Racing" in the options menu. :indiff:

It's definitely something that has to be unlocked, because I just tried loading the game without my memory card inserted, and "Expert" isn't there.

I've beaten DR with all S's, I've beaten King of the Year and gotten rank 1 in ELife, and I've finished default (normal difficulty or higher, 3 laps) races without black flags on every course (doing that unlocks the reverse versions of the tracks). I have 100%.

Well, maybe 100% is the requirement. In that case, orubasarot, unlocking all of the reversed tracks is what you have to do to finish off your percentage. :)

Not that i don't believe you, but can you take a screenshot of this "expert" mode? It'll be something else if there's an extra level of difficulty. Am i to understand that this mode is only in Free Race mode? What is the competition like when you're racing in it?

Proof in the form of a picture and a short video:

expert0ll.jpg

http://rapidshare.de/files/7980841/expert.mpg.html

Like I said earlier, the AI doesn't really get "better" or "smarter" -- it just gets more aggressive. If you're interested in seeing how this "expert AI" does, the videos I've uploaded in the "drift videos" thread that feature AI, are all with it set to expert.

had a good couple of days hammering enthusia and im now ranked 43. got all the way so far with my beetle (level 10) but now i feel like a change and have switched to my mr2 which i will stick with for a while i feel.

Reached #1 ranking today.
Did most of it with my high-odds drawing Level 10 Honda Accord.
Was suprised by the lack of fanfare in achieving the #1 spot....but this game isn't about patting you on the back, is it?
It's about making you sweat bullets.

I have the King of the Year race in two weeks, whick gives me a week to change vehicles.
Any suggestions for a ride?
I'm thinking my GT40 since racing cars aren't eligible.

GT40 will cerainly be a blast in that race. The best ranking I've got is 23rd so far, but I 111 at the moment, I tried taming my TVR and it took me a while to get to grips with it. I guess I should've used the free race mode for that lol.

Thanks for that screenie. I guess i gots to complete the entire game. I don't know how i'm gonna get golds on the drifting sessions of Driving Revolution. :scratch

I reached the top ranking driving a Level 10 A4 quattro, which is slow but very easy to drive and dominant in the wet. I was beating STi's and Evos with it on Tsukuba wet, and racking up enormous numbers of points from that.

Adam West
Thanks for that screenie. I guess i gots to complete the entire game. I don't know how i'm gonna get golds on the drifting sessions of Driving Revolution. :scratch

I just used the clutch on and off to complete the drift lessons :ouch: When it comes to the AI I think it's very good and fair. Also tried a few races on Expert mode and it's a great challenge.

Bullitt73
I just used the clutch on and off to complete the drift lessons

I did that in the last one, with the Caterham. Shame on me, but I really wanted the "R" cars and that damned car just wouldn't cooperate with me.

Bullitt73
When it comes to the AI I think it's very good and fair. Also tried a few races on Expert mode and it's a great challenge.

Coming from GT4, the AI was a good surprise, specially because it really tries to avoid you (could try harder, I guess ... ) and usually backs off where it's supposed to do just that.

However, when you start playing more intensively, you'll notice that the AI cars have some "behavioural" (sp?) flaws. Like the one in the first corner of the Nurb (1st lap, right after start), where they all go nuts and do some off-track while bumping each other and the walls, or like the way they tap the brakes doing the slight right "turn" (if that can be considered as such) in the fastest section of Burgenschlut (where you're supposed to go flat out).

Does everybody like this game ?
I've been playing GT4 since the day it was released (had played GT3, GT Concept and GT Prologue before), and of course it has several flaws (no damage, dumb AI, scores of Skylines or Lancers...).

Someone offered me Enthusia 3 weeks ago, and I must say that I have played the 2 first evenings then I put the game back on the shelf where it's still lying.
My first impressions were that :
  1. I just hate that background music, it sounds like I'm in a restaurant ;
  2. AI are perhaps slightly better than in GT4, but they still bump you whenever you're on their way ;
  3. there is no realistic damage ;
  4. many tracks don't look realistic either : Rev City reminds me Ridge Racer (most horrible racing game I've ever played), Mystic Caves looks like a track in Diddy Kong Racing on N64

Ok, most of these points are purely subjective, but I wasn't expecting much from that game, and yet I've been disappointed.

I'm still playing GT4 and I bought last week WRC 4 : it is certainly less realistic then GT4 and EPR, but at least it doesn't claim to be realistic.

Reading all your posts will probably make me try EPR another time later in the week, I'll post my second impression here too.

Back