No used cars

I don't want to have to pick from used cars that are mostly Japanese and are usually worn down, have high milage, and bad oil. Just give me $20,000 and I will be happy, for I can get a decent starter car with that for once.

So what ??? That brings more reality in the game. When you start racing you USUALLY dont start with a brand new top shape car unless you're rich. But the game is not planned that way. I think the used cars are a good thing and should be included in Gran Turismo Vision. :)

Well, I just don't want them to be of poor quality. I want oil to no longer be a factor. I also want used American, European, and Asian. I don't want 9/10 used cars to be Japanese. I did find a non-Japanese used car that was actually pretty sweet: an Aston Martin Vantage. However, I didn't have the bucks for it. I want a used American or European car that isn't so prestigious or powerful that it costs over $100 thousand used. Besides, what is that car doing in a used car lot anyway? It should be in a specialty car showroom or up for auction.

Which gives me an idea, an auction. Say you have a custom, classic, concept or tuner car. You could put it up for auction, and see if you can get more for it than what you bought for it. Kind of like Sega GT's "name your price" policy, except it's more realistic because you're getting what people will pay for your car.

Totally don't agree. If you think about it Most of the cars in the game are used. Getting rid of used cars would totally kill the game. When I say used I mean all the cars that aren't the current year model. But, used as in, the used cars show rooms, I'd definately keep as well. They add to the real life feel of the game. Not everyone has 20K to blow on a car. Plus it's fun to buy a cheap car just to play with.

Actually, I'd prefer a mix of GT2 type used cars, where there is no mileage factor, just older technology, compared to the newer cars. I realize that the "new" way is more realistic. But I really hate having to spend 50 grand to bring a POS car back up to snuff.

I'd also like horsepower caps on the races. However, since GT2 was the only one of the games to incorporate that particular feature, I doubt that I'll see it again.
It was very cool knowing that for a particular race, your max HP is 295, or 394, or whatever. And knowing that if you actually went to the HP max you would be more than capable of whooping up on all the cars that show up to race against you.
I also want the "info" box back, like in GT2.

I am glad that somebody thought it was a good idea to win a car for earning a license.
So, if you proceed thru the game by getting all your licenses, at least bronze, you have a car that you can use your seed money to tune.

In GT2 my objective was to at least Gold the first License, and upgrade the Spoon S2000 with the 10 grand "seed" money. However, it was possible to spend your original 10,000 to buy and build enough car for the Trial Mountain Enduro, which would provide enough money to buy and build a decent car, or use the Denso Supra won from the enduro to win some decent cars.

speedy_2
Totally don't agree. If you think about it Most of the cars in the game are used. Getting rid of used cars would totally kill the game. When I say used I mean all the cars that aren't the current year model. But, used as in, the used cars show rooms, I'd definately keep as well. They add to the real life feel of the game. Not everyone has 20K to blow on a car. Plus it's fun to buy a cheap car just to play with.

NOW thats talkin 👍

I like the idea of the GT2 used cars.

1. Older models that aren't yet classics
2. American, European, and Asian equally
3. No milage or oil factor

As for the performance limits, how about puting them into classes, and not letting you race against any car in another class?

F: less than 100 horsepower
D: 100-200hp
C: 200-300hp
B: 300-400hp
A: 400-500hp
S: 500+ horsepower
R: racecars

Classic Anycar
As for the performance limits, how about puting them into classes, and not letting you race against any car in another class?

That sounds like Forza to me.............

I think Im browsing around in the used cars section way more than the new cars. Never know when a nice sc300 or twin turbo supra will pop up in the color you like..

The mileage is just numbers, it doesn't mean anything. Your used car won't break down in a race like in real life. I say keep the used cars, they are what makes GT different.

I think the used cars should at least look used, I mean faded paint, chips, scratches, rust, grime...stuff like that. There is no way a car with 100,000 on the clock will look show room new, even if its a CPO vehicle.

The assumption here is that you start out with not a lot, but make some money to get somewhere in life. What? You want to buy cars like it's Gran Turismo 3, in which you had 18K to blow on only cars within that price range? Name me one racing/driving game in which you can get a car for cheap that's the best car in the game for winning over 90% or more of the races. While you're thinking about it, read the rest of this post.

In GT4, you basically don't need money or a car to start out with. All you had to do was clear License Tests. The more you cover all Bronze, all Silver, or all Gold, the better because you win cars. Maybe not the best automobiles at first, but that's something you can surely work on, right? You'd love to drive that Dodge Viper or Ford GT now, wouldn't you? Well, it's a theme that's been around for as long as you could imagine- rags to riches. And think about this too- if you had the money, you could get a used Honda/Acura NSX. The NSX is a wonderful car to take around a race track, trust me. I have one in GT4, I've raced JGTC NSXes including the Le Mans class-winning NSX in Gran Turismo 1. There are also good non-Japanese autos. Did you come across the Lotus Carlton? The hand bag of Alfa Romeos? A few cheap Jaguars? There's even one of the cars that got me into cars in the Used Car lots- the Chevrolet Camaro from 1995+.

You want to get rid of Used Cars, then you're going to take away one of the most helpful elements of Gran Turismo games (GT3 nonwithstanding). Remember. You have plenty of time of get the best automobiles. It's just like most other games of different genres. You have to work your way to get the good stuff (unless you want to GameShark your way to victory) in most other games, so why should GT5 be any different? If you take that away, you're going to give a lot of GT gamers big problems starting through the game. And what's wrong with used cars? They are every bit as useful and functional as newer cars. Plus, they serve as gold mines for those who want certain cars in the game. You'll never know if there's a classic you'd love to get your hands on, whether it's a classic Japanese car, or the 1990s Lotus Elise models. That's why you keep in these cars. Learn to look at history and keep your mind out of the present. THAT'S WHY YOU KEEP THEM IN THE GAME.

Since you've created your other argument on cars you don't want in GT5, let me ask you. What DO you want for cars in GT5? I don't know to be honest. Are you all about fast cars, a certain nationality of automobiles, certain type of auto... what do you want, basically for cars in GT5? Define "Used Car." And uh... name me a game in which you have the best car in the game available at the start.

Classic Anycar
I don't want to have to pick from used cars that are mostly Japanese and are usually worn down, have high milage, and bad oil. Just give me $20,000 and I will be happy, for I can get a decent starter car with that for once.
approximately 85% of cars people buy in real-life are used. about the bad oil, you can simply change it. and i find GT4 used car mileage low, very low. a 1993 with 50,000k? a 1980 car with 90,000km?

i agree with the american cars, they should have more. but when you really think of it, there aren't that many good american cars to put in the game, apart from the muscle cars and they can't handle so good

I agree

I'd rather have some of these "used cars" called classics and be in another section at each manufacturer. Realism?

If I wanted realism I'd buy an old TVR, pay a fortune in maintenance and repair bills, have a lot less power than when it was new and have to deal with fading paint and rust and all the rest. This is a game!

I don't want oil change, frame wear/warping or lame car wash. It's not real!

I own 2 sports cars in real life and they cost a lot of money to maintain or repair and they're hard work. It's nowhere as easy as most people in these forums think. In a game I'd like not to have to worry about that. During the race the car gets damaged, worn or dirty, that's great, would love to see it. And at the end of the race part of the winnings pay for the what needs doing and cost accordingly. The car is always as good as new. Hassle free!

The only reason I can think of that would posses Sony/PD to have cars used actually have wear and tear that needs a lot of money to fix as well new cars becoming used and loose power they never regain is to please the car manufacturers! Yeah? So that someone is put off by buying an old car that needs money to service, fix and will never be as good as a new one. Also people will want to buy another new model of a car they bought months before so they can have all the power again. It's advertising! Why? Probably because Sony/PD are cheap and rather then pay for licences they worked out deals with the manufacturers.

In Forza Motorsport old and new car models have the power they had from new and don't need stupid oil changes or body refresher plan or car wash. They're always like they were when they came from the showroom, well even better with a great selection of licensed aftermarket parts. That's a game, that's better!

If you're so crazy for realism I'll take you around Bedford Autodrome, drive you so hard around the track till you pee yourself, hit the tyre wall at over 60Mph just so I can give you a 2 week headache plus time in hospital then fit you with the car repair and maintenance bills.

*end of rant*

I think the used cars play an essential part. I want them to keep it. However, I wish there was used cars from all over the world, not almost just Japanese cars.

This thread is highly ironic given the thread starter's username.

Classic Anycar
Okay, okay. Keep 'em in the game, just don't bias it towards the Japanese. I want some used Fords, Chevys, etc.

As is this. So much for "Anycar".

But your basic complaint is "Japanese bias on cars". Well, hold the front page, JJ.

There's always going to be a Japanese bias in Gran Turismo - it's a Japanese game. So you want more non-Japanese cars? That just translates as "more cars please" - something practically guaranteed by the new hardware. That said, there are more non-Japanese cars in GT4 than there were cars in total in GT3 AND GT1 - but still people weren't happy.

Encyclopedia - in the Used Car lists in GT4 there are:
Alfa Romeo 156
Alfa Romeo 166
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Audi S4
Audi TT
BMW M Coupe
Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Chevrolet Corvette C4 Grand Sport
FIAT 500 (3 variants)
Ford Taurus SHO
Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R
Jaguar XKR
Jensen Intercepter
Lancia Delta HF Integrale
Lotus Carlton
Lotus Elise Sport 190
Lotus Esprit V8 (2 variants)
Mercury Cougar XR-7
MGF
Mercedes A160
Mercedes SLK230
Mercedes SL500 and SL600
Opel/Vauxhall Tigra
Peugeot 205 T16
Peugeot 206 S16
Peugeot 406 3.0 V6 Coupe
Renault 5 Turbo
Renault Megane
Renaultsport Clio V6
TVR Cerbera
TVR Griffith 500
TVR V8S
Volvo 240
VW Golf IV GTI

And maybe a couple of others I missed. That's quite a selection of some quite interesting not-Japanese cars...

Cobra_UK
I agree

I'd rather have some of these "used cars" called classics and be in another section at each manufacturer. Realism?

If I wanted realism I'd buy an old TVR, pay a fortune in maintenance and repair bills, have a lot less power than when it was new and have to deal with fading paint and rust and all the rest. This is a game!

I don't want oil change, frame wear/warping or lame car wash. It's not real!

I own 2 sports cars in real life and they cost a lot of money to maintain or repair and they're hard work. It's nowhere as easy as most people in these forums think. In a game I'd like not to have to worry about that. During the race the car gets damaged, worn or dirty, that's great, would love to see it. And at the end of the race part of the winnings pay for the what needs doing and cost accordingly. The car is always as good as new. Hassle free!

The only reason I can think of that would posses Sony/PD to have cars used actually have wear and tear that needs a lot of money to fix as well new cars becoming used and loose power they never regain is to please the car manufacturers! Yeah? So that someone is put off by buying an old car that needs money to service, fix and will never be as good as a new one. Also people will want to buy another new model of a car they bought months before so they can have all the power again. It's advertising! Why? Probably because Sony/PD are cheap and rather then pay for licences they worked out deals with the manufacturers.

In Forza Motorsport old and new car models have the power they had from new and don't need stupid oil changes or body refresher plan or car wash. They're always like they were when they came from the showroom, well even better with a great selection of licensed aftermarket parts. That's a game, that's better!

If you're so crazy for realism I'll take you around Bedford Autodrome, drive you so hard around the track till you pee yourself, hit the tyre wall at over 60Mph just so I can give you a 2 week headache plus time in hospital then fit you with the car repair and maintenance bills.

*end of rant*

I, for one, agree with you on the unrealistic maintenance. Car washes should only be available if the car is actually going to get dirty. Because this is a video game, we don't need to worry about things like maintenance. GT1-3 never had us worry about maintenance, and Forza always takes money from your winnings to pay for the damage to your car. Why should GT have to make you pay to change the oil or get a car wash for your already clean car?

Sega GT was one of the lesser games for many reasons. One relevant reason was manual maintenance. After a while, you had to perform an overhaul on your car. In other words, replace the parts. You had to change the engine, the tires, the axle, etc. In Gran Turismo, and even in Forza, that's not a factor. Those are changed for free at the end of the race. Another thing about Sega GT is that you have to pay for nonrendered damage. That's one annoying reason why it didn't sell. People don't want to pay for things that don't actually exist.

In conclusion, I agree that unrealistic maintenance needs to go. No car washes, no oil change, and no part replacement. Not, at least, until we get some dirty paint and damage in the game.

Classic Anycar
I like the idea of the GT2 used cars.

1. Older models that aren't yet classics
2. American, European, and Asian equally
3. No milage or oil factor

^ Thats a good idea, I've been thinking of that since making wishlists for GT3. But regarding on your 1st post, I don't like the idea getting rid of used cars, that why (to me) GT3 is the worst GT game.

MugenVTEC
That sounds like Forza to me.............

^ I think its more of Ethusia than Forza. (:

Classic Anycar
I, for one, agree with you on the unrealistic maintenance. Car washes should only be available if the car is actually going to get dirty. Because this is a video game, we don't need to worry about things like maintenance. GT1-3 never had us worry about maintenance, and Forza always takes money from your winnings to pay for the damage to your car. Why should GT have to make you pay to change the oil or get a car wash for your already clean car?

Sega GT was one of the lesser games for many reasons. One relevant reason was manual maintenance. After a while, you had to perform an overhaul on your car. In other words, replace the parts. You had to change the engine, the tires, the axle, etc. In Gran Turismo, and even in Forza, that's not a factor. Those are changed for free at the end of the race. Another thing about Sega GT is that you have to pay for nonrendered damage. That's one annoying reason why it didn't sell. People don't want to pay for things that don't actually exist.

In conclusion, I agree that unrealistic maintenance needs to go. No car washes, no oil change, and no part replacement. Not, at least, until we get some dirty paint and damage in the game.

Why?
Give me one good reason why oil change or car wash should go?

Car wash is just in there for fun, irrelevant maybe, but it's already classic in GT, even without a purpose. Besides, no one forces you to use car wash, so just ignore it if you despise it so much (I can't seem to comprehend why you get so angry over so trivial a feature anyway).
Now, with PS3's power, cars getting dirty and worn is a good possibilty, so car wash should become a more interesting feature. I hope so.

And what's wrong with oil change? You don't have to do it very often, and it's not that much of a hassle. I like all these little maintenance things, I achtually hope there will be a lot more of this in GT5. A quick repair feature after a race may sound nice, but I'd rather handle all these things myself.

I don't know if you've noticed it, but GT isn't just about racing. It tries to cover every aspect of driving as a whole. I say "tries", because, obviously, it hasn't succeeded in doing that yet. If you don't like that, if you only want to race, that's fine. But GT is more than that, and fans have come to expect more than that. Leaving out oil change and car wash would do more harm than good to the game.

Classic Anycar
Well, I just don't want them to be of poor quality. I want oil to no longer be a factor. I also want used American, European, and Asian. I don't want 9/10 used cars to be Japanese. I did find a non-Japanese used car that was actually pretty sweet: an Aston Martin Vantage. However, I didn't have the bucks for it. I want a used American or European car that isn't so prestigious or powerful that it costs over $100 thousand used. Besides, what is that car doing in a used car lot anyway? It should be in a specialty car showroom or up for auction.

Which gives me an idea, an auction. Say you have a custom, classic, concept or tuner car. You could put it up for auction, and see if you can get more for it than what you bought for it. Kind of like Sega GT's "name your price" policy, except it's more realistic because you're getting what people will pay for your car.

Oil is real, and pretty much any used car you buy in real life will need an oil change sooner or later.

The game is mostly Japanese NEW, so what makes you think it won't be mostly Japanese USED?
And the game is Japanese made and we all know PD has never been really American or European car friendly.

And a Vantage costed you a bundle in the game used? Really? And it was a rare one too? How do you think one of them suckers run in real life?
Maybe it was there because it was...used? Auctions aren't GT4 so saying that was pointless.
I agree, it could have been in the "specials" area instead, then again the "specials" area did have cars that seemed appropiate, but also cars that seemed Used Lot fitting too.

An auction would be best for online purposes ala Test Drive Unlimited, b/c the game would always make an offer you hate and wouldn't be an different from selling it.

I think takin out Used cars would be a step back for GT5...

I do beleive a step forward for the Used car list are as follows;

- Pre-Modded cars; air filters&exhaust upgraded, lowering springs etc.. something to add a bit of spice to a boring, standard used car! Would also be quite cool to pick up a 400/500bhp car for a fraction of the price.

- Second hand parts market (said this a lot now!!); buying specific 2nd hand parts, also upgrades/modifications explained in more detail, and more specfic parts - Fuel pump, injectors of different sizes, different parts of suspension, but still be able to buy "kits" like you can now. Also being able to buy body panels, see point 4.

- Larger variation of Manufacturers; i have noticed a larger proportion of cars avaiable are japanese, something that doesnt upset me much because i like Japanese cars.. but the choice would be nice!

- It would be quite cool to see pre-damaged cars as well, go beyond a few dinks and scratches. If GT5 does feature full damage, a car that has been involved in a rear end crash could be replaced for a cost, but you have to source the parts before you can fully repair the car (if you wish too). This also presents a bit of a challenge!!
- A car company on GT5 goes bust. For example Rover; fear of inability to buy spare parts or get service, people flood the market with cheap rovers! Ability to pick up a cheap rover however chances of repairing it if damaged can only be overcome using other rovers as donor cars!

- Online car autctions. This is a HUGE step in my opinion, but online auctions; Cars can be sold by users to online auctioneer's, and then sold online, and people can bid their race won money for the car. I know a lot of people like keeping their cars so obviously randomised cars are added each minute (as i assume loads of peeps wud be hittin these pages daily) and can bid for the car.
- Would also be good to do this w/ Parts; Want to buy a Stage 3 Exhaust, you have a Stage 2 left over, sell it for some spare money - someone else picks it up for cheap!
- Also for buying and repairing cars, if you were able to source the wings for a damaged Aston Martin, Bought for £70,000, fully repaired for £80,000 - Sell for Auction price for £90,000+ = £10,000 profit! *happy dance*

A few ideas thrown in the mixer!

Why don't you want to make oil a factor? These cars are real and they don't have unlimited and clean oil. It's called maintenance. Maybe not in the sense of checking brakes and other internals to make sure they are all working in tip-top shape, but checking the oil and keeping cars clean are all part of the maintenance you can take care of. You can actually go a few races without having to worry about the oil much. In fact in GT4, you can go through a LOT of races without a lot of worry to take it to the GT Auto place. Do you want a dirty car to use in races? Sure, clean and dirty cars don't seem to amount much in GT games, but at least clean up the cars that's seen a lot of action. In GT3, oil changing and car washing took only 300 Cr from your account. GT4 has both services at 50 Cr apiece. That's not asking much. It's that extra amount of Credits to keep your car in the best shape. We all need to maintain things we love near and dear to our hearts, and your cars in GT games are no different. You can think of this a life lesson too from GT to real life (I can't believe I'm saying this) as well.

That lesson? If you love something, care for it. Protect it. Maintain it. Care for cars in Gran Turismo games in much the same way that many of us go through the trouble of taking baths/showers, brushing our teeth, eating every now and then, and all that stuff. Sure, it's a car in GT, but you're still taking care of it as best as you can. If damage plays a serious factor, that's another thing to consider in terms of taking care of cars. You can't keep wrecking cars like in NASCAR races. At one point, you're going to have to take care of that beauty and keep it out of harm's way as best as you can. So before you think that trying to maintain cars is crap or is boring, why not think about this post before you mention that maintaining cars is boring and worthless.

nos2
The mileage is just numbers, it doesn't mean anything. Your used car won't break down in a race like in real life. I say keep the used cars, they are what makes GT different.
Ah, but the previous mileage stops me from fully bonding with used cars. I like to be able to see how many clicks I’ve put on the odo of each vehicle.

JohnBM01 don't start talking "wet". Read my post on the previous page, and quoted on this page, before you start commenting. That's the problem with some people on this forum and, well, people in general. They don't actively listen just like the sound of their own voice.

As I said already, since it's a game I'd like the cars to stay in pristine condition. I don't mind damage and dirt. Both of those could be fixed at the end of the race. But wear and tear with mileage (oil change, refresher plan, etc.) is something I don't want. Why? Once again for the cheap seats in the back: It's a game! It's not real!

idiots
But it's realistic! GT5 should the most realistic driving game ever. That way I can play the game and the more realistic it is the more I can believe I could do it in real life.

In real life these things cost a lot of money to maintain. A lot! Not your £100 for a PS2 or £500 for a cockpit and wheel. No, thousands and tens of thousands of pounds, per year. And a lot more than a stupid oil change is needed , way lot more. When a car is raced or driven hard the maintenance costs double and triple. When racing there are far more important factors that you might want to take into account if you want realism, your life.

I say leave over-realism on the track and make GT5 into a fun game and not an over pretentious piece of crap.

Another example is the menu in Forza. Yes it may look a bit arcadey and maybe not realistic enough for some of you but it's easy to navigate and I don't have to go through 1000 screens on a flickering display and fade in/outs that give me a headache.

Cobra_UK
As I said already, since it's a game I'd like the cars to stay in pristine condition. I don't mind damage and dirt. Both of those could be fixed at the end of the race. But wear and tear with mileage (oil change, refresher plan, etc.) is something I don't want. Why? Once again for the cheap seats in the back: It's a game! It's not real!

We all heard you, doesn't mean we have to agree with you though.

"It's a game, it's not real" is a silly argument if you ask me. So because it's a game it's not right to try and simulate reality? Let me tell you, if GT wouldn't try and be realistic as it does now, and will continue to do, it would be utterly worthless. The only reason I (and undoubtedly a lot of others) play GT is because it delivers an experience (well, close enough) I can't have in real life. I want this experience to be as complete as possible, if I want to play "just a game", I'll go play NFS: Most Wanted, which is a fun game all in all, but not quite an experience like GT.

God I hope PD never thinks like you do. Imagine they'd say "it's just a game". Why would they even bother trying to make the handling realistic if the rest isn't realistic. Why even bother including 500+ cars in a game that doesn't try to be realistic in every way?

I'd rather have GT to be more than "just a game".

Back