BESTuners Gallery | Updated October 28th, 2006 - DB9 by ChromeBallz

• Thread starter BESTuners
  • 585 comments
Also, just so everyone knows, when you edit the first post, write the full name of the car, and put a hyphen (-) in between the name and the laptime.

So instead of:

Chevy Silverado 1'16.584

do:

Chevrolet Silverado SST Concept '03 - 1'16.584

Thanks. :D
Was that truck/report already done?
if not, that thing is the best.
mine has 845hp(with nos)
178 A-spec point races

Nice report Duck. I love those pictures. Every one of them. I don't find any major flaws in them. Great report. I tried out your settings from your workshop a couple of months back when I was driving it in a tournament. 👍 Stiff car, but it's a good stiff :)

opendriver19a
Was that truck/report already done?
if not, that thing is the best.
mine has 845hp(with nos)
178 A-spec point races
Nah, I was using that as an example. And with the car in general, it's good, if you use racing tires. Put on sports, and you'll be in Burnout City.

MKthreeGTi
Nice report Duck. I love those pictures. Every one of them. I don't find any major flaws in them. Great report. I tried out your settings from your workshop a couple of months back when I was driving it in a tournament. 👍 Stiff car, but it's a good stiff :)
Cool. The settings are updated, and I went a second faster than before. Try them out if you like. :cheers:

Duck, your pics are getting better all the time! I really love them in that last Minolta report, cant try the settings yet though cos Ive found my memory stick now and am working some my own shizzle. Only downside is I personally like to see you guys doing a bit of research and filling us in on the true history of these cars. Where have they come from and what have they achieved in the past? Why was this monster conceived? ...you know what I mean? ;)

zefff
Duck, your pics are getting better all the time! I really love them in that last Minolta report, cant try the settings yet though cos Ive found my memory stick now and am working some my own shizzle. Only downside is I personally like to see you guys doing a bit of research and filling us in on the true history of these cars. Where have they come from and what have they achieved in the past? Why was this monster conceived? ...you know what I mean? ;)
I've done that, most notably in my Karmann Ghia Report and my Mercedes 300SL Report. I tried doing something like that for the Minolta, but on Wikipedia, there was nothing. :(

Just seeing as it was mentioned in the 88C-V review...

Duck
You can go to 300 MPH easily, 350 if you’re really good.
Or 360mph... 365 if you're determined :)

Sorry, had to plug the Club here :lol:

A bit more on-topic, didn't you find the 88C-V a little bit 'brutish'? With that much power, I find it to be very hard to keep under control without TCS - the wheelspin isn't a problem, I can control that, but the sheer headbutt-the-horizon factor is a little over the top compared to the refinement of Audi's R8 and Pescarolo's 2003 version. Maybe I'm just not cut out for driving Group C :) but I find the R89c to be a much nicer car to drive. I'll have to see if I can get it to keep up with your 88C-V at Deep Forest, just for kicks :
;)

Anyway, great thread, keep it going 👍

DE

Dark Elite
Just seeing as it was mentioned in the 88C-V review...

Or 360mph... 365 if you're determined :)

Sorry, had to plug the Club here :lol:

A bit more on-topic, didn't you find the 88C-V a little bit 'brutish'? With that much power, I find it to be very hard to keep under control without TCS - the wheelspin isn't a problem, I can control that, but the sheer headbutt-the-horizon factor is a little over the top compared to the refinement of Audi's R8 and Pescarolo's 2003 version. Maybe I'm just not cut out for driving Group C :) but I find the R89c to be a much nicer car to drive. I'll have to see if I can get it to keep up with your 88C-V at Deep Forest, just for kicks :
;)

Anyway, great thread, keep it going 👍

DE

ADVERTISER!!!!! READY YOUR SHOTGUNS, y0!!

j/k :lol:

Yes, it was on the brutish side, it wasn't really tamed, or civilized like the new LMPs. In fact, I ran into the wall 5 times when I was trying to get a laptime. It definitely takes some kahoonas to drive it flatout. It's not something you pick up and drive easily.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. :)

440cuda9sec
By the way, does anyone else read kenny's stories in a British accent? weird.

:) That's the intent, man! Not a strong one but I like to add some British flavor to it.

Thanks everyone for liking it.

Good laptime, Duck.

@ Kenny, I really like they way to lay out the reports. Hopefully it will encourage other BESTuners to change the initial layout of their reports. I still have a tendency to use my old recommendations as a layout technique. Its kinda boring but it gets the point across. Maybe for my next report I will see if I can find a different way o present the car and data.

And speaking of cars. I think for my next car I may attempt one of two cars I have tuned and posted in the past. I hope this isn't in any violation of the "BESTuners Code" :sly: but they are cars I have already tuned, but could use a little tweaking.

The two choices as of now are the 1998 Audi S4 or the 1981 Toyota Celica XX 2800GT. If not those two then I may present a Mazda RX-7 RZ or a Lotus Esprit SE

Yeah I've noticed that as well. I have decided to go ahead and re-tune the Celica and hopefully present a report sometime this weekend. It all really depends on how much studying I get done. I have 3 exams next week and need to do good on all of them.

However, I do think I found why the pictures I take seem so dark on others monitors. The screen settings for GT4 were set at +3 instead of a neutral zero. I have yet to take more pictures but I am sure this is one of the reasons why the pictures weren't showing up too well.

BESTuners Mercedes SLR McLaren ‘03 Report

Driver: Duċk

Deep Forest Laptime: 1’08.182

slrmclaren0062sc.jpg

Exterior/History:
DaimlerChrysler and McLaren Cars came together to make a car. A fast one. A luxurious one. I’m talking about the Mercedes SLR McLaren. It has the plush material of a Merc, plus technology from the creators of the legendary McLaren F1. But you’re probably wondering “What’s all this technology you’re talking about?” Well, I’ll tell you.

The engine is a supercharged 5.5 liter SOHC V8. And it pumps out a cartload of power. 626 HP and 575 ft-lb, to be exact. Now, you’re probably thinking that state-of-the-art technology is in use in the engine, but it’s just an SL 55 engine completely optimized.

The SLR’s tranny is different, too. Unlike other extremely expensive supercars out there like the Enzo or the Murciélago, it’s an automatic, a 5 speed no less. But it comes with 3 different modes: Sport, Supersport, and Race. Don’t ask me what they do, though.

And the air brake. PD sure did pay lots of attention to the car. Whenever you brake at high speed (usually above 60 MPH), a little flap on the trunk comes up, and… helps you brake. Other games like Forza don’t pay attention to this, so it’s refreshing to see that this car was modeled correctly.

Now, I’m going to test this beauty of a car. No, I’m going to tune it, and then test it. ;)

slrmclaren0014mt.jpg

The Good…:
With nearly 850 HP, you go… really, really fast. If there ever was a convertible version, the wind noise would be so loud you’d go deaf after a 15 minute track run. This is probably another 300 MPH candidate. The engine sounds sweet, like honey. It’s a high pitched whine, a good kind of whine, not the one from a 8-year-old brat.

The transmission seamlessly shifts in all gears, whether it’s a downshift to make the first corner at Deep Forest or it’s an upshift to reach 200 MPH at La Sarthe. It works well.

slrmclaren0029cl.jpg

…And the bad:
With S2s, sine there’s a lack of downforce, it has a continual habit to understeer. It’s hard to make it handle neutral, unless you’ll go half-throttle around the corner. I find myself repeatedly mashing and retracting the pedal a lot on most corners. With R4s, you have the same problem, but instead, you do the mashing and retracting a lot less. On Deep Forest, I could go full-throttle through half the corners, but I had to let off the throttle or go half-throttle through the other ones. Maybe that’s why I got an abysmal time when a POS 15,000Cr Supra only went a second slower.

The braking isn’t desirable, either. It takes longer to stop, and after the jump right after the start/finish line at Deep Forest, I had to immediately brake when I handed, so I won’t go in the grass, and have little green marks on my 612,000Cr supercar. With other cars, I could wait at least a second after the landing, even if I was going 40 MPH faster.

slrmclaren0035si.jpg

Conclusion:
It’s definitely not the best bang for your buck. With 600k credits, I could get, say, 10 cars that’ll match the SLR’s DF laptime. But of course, everyone will be looking at your SLR, not the POS Supra. If you have tons of money to burn, I guess it’s worth a try, but if you’re on a tight budget, don’t get it.

The set-up:
SLR McLaren Set-up

Thanks for reading, and please comment!!!

To put it bluntly, I'm retiring from BESTuners. I've been busier than normal, and I don't think I'll be submitting anymore reports. :indiff: Hopefully I did my part.

Great pics of the SLR! That landscape was pretty cool! And great report as usual.
And just for the record, the SLR is not capable of 300...

Sad if you´re leaving Duck, you´ll be sadly missed. I don´t think there´s anyone on this forum who would like to try and fill those shoes, TBH.

Is a request out of the question? I would like to see the Gillet Vertigo done by someone here, just to see the verdict on it. I´ve found it to be incredibly fast, I´m talking Group C fast, and a true handfull to drive, but also very fun! Would be great to see someone tackle this monster, and take some crazy shots of the car that could be nominated for the title "ugliest car in GT4".

Im pretty sure thats not true because i seen a video of a guy at Nurburing course or whatever its called. he went over 310 i think on the big strecth.. its in a thread where your supposed to send replay files and the guy actually sent an actual video.. now unless you mean on a test course run only then i dont know you may be right or the video could have been a fake, im not sure.

BTW great pics and excellent review Duck.. sad to see ya go but it was good while you was here and awesome reviews.. the SLR was one of the 1st expensive cars i bought because i think i remember Ludacris test driving one in Africa on MTV lol

Sorry to see you leave Duck. :guilty:

I haven’t really touched my PS2 in a while, I’ll try and do a report this weekend, though.

AmericanRacer
Im pretty sure thats not true because i seen a video of a guy at Nurburing course or whatever its called. he went over 310 i think on the big strecth.. its in a thread where your supposed to send replay files and the guy actually sent an actual video.. now unless you mean on a test course run only then i dont know you may be right or the video could have been a fake, im not sure.
Are you talking about the Vertigo? In that case you´re wrong, or his gearing was seriously flawed, ´cause 380 or more is no problem there! And that´s stock... On the Testcourse however, the Vertigo cannot reach the speeds of most Group C or LMP cars.

Now I´m confused...@ Duck: what car are you talking about now? The SLR can of course do 300 KMPH, but not 300 MPH. The Vertigo can easily do both, but unlike most other Group C cars (that can take NOS), it most likely never will pass 330 MPH.

OK, saw the vid, now I know! That is KMPH for sure.

Team666
Now I´m confused...@ Duck: what car are you talking about now? The SLR can of course do 300 KMPH, but not 300 MPH. The Vertigo can easily do both, but unlike most other Group C cars (that can take NOS), it most likely never will pass 330 MPH.

OK, saw the vid, now I know! That is KMPH for sure.
I said it can probably go 300, since it accelerates so fast in the first place. It was an assumption, since I've seen the Nardo and others go past 300 also.

I said it can probably go 300, since it accelerates so fast in the first place. It was an assumption, since I've seen the Nardo and others go past 300 also.
And a fair assumption too! I actually have no idea of why the SLR can´t reach 300 mph. The Viper SRT 10 can do it (just), so why not the massive torque SLR? Maybe it´s because you can´t fit it with a wing. Sounds strange, but that may be it.

Any hint on wich car will be up next? Volvo, Celica? Or will you post your Pikes Peak as a farewell?

Team666
And a fair assumption too! I actually have no idea of why the SLR can´t reach 300 mph. The Viper SRT 10 can do it (just), so why not the massive torque SLR? Maybe it´s because you can´t fit it with a wing. Sounds strange, but that may be it.

Any hint on wich car will be up next? Volvo, Celica? Or will you post your Pikes Peak as a farewell?
The SLR was the farewell. Sorry.

Back