PS3 General Discussion

PS3 to feature 15 launch titles
by Bhavin Shah

Kaz Hirai, president of SCEA, expects 15 titles to be available when the PlayStation 3 launches this November.

In an interview with Bloomberg, Hirai reassured us that there won't be "too much of an issue" with available software at launch.

The statement comes at a time when some developers are concerned with the state of their development kits. Sega and THQ, in particular, are still awaiting their final development kits, and Brian Farrell from THQ stated that The Sopranos is not being developed for the PS3 because it is "too risky".

However, Activision, Ubisoft and EA, the world's largest third party developer, have all said that they are "happy" with their dev kits. Although they have not received final dev kits yet, they have knowledge of the processor's capabilities and are actively developing for the final hardware.

Ubisoft's CEO, Yves Guillemot, agreed with Activision's earlier statement that the launch games would only use a fifth of the PS3's potential.

"We won't be able to take advantage of all the components."
www.ps3land.com

German Muscle
found something today
57561765_ce91fdf2cf.jpg

Thats an old picture from last years concept PS3. Notice there are no LED lights next to the usb ports. And no front ventilation

Kenji the link you provide shows the price of the ps3 with inflation compared to other systems. Wow people who cry about the price are really just big baby's....

Yes, they complain their pants off simply because the PS3 is more expensive than the 360, regardless the amazing technology that packed inside the PS3:ill:

What really get's me is that before the price was announced loads of people were going on about hoping the PS3 would cost the same as the 360 but that they expectied it to cost more, then when it get's announced that it does cost a bit more they have a moan about it.

Confirmed: PS3 online gaming to be free
by Bhavin Shah

Since E3 last week, a number of sites have speculated that the PlayStation 3's "Basic" online service will not include gaming. However, SCEA has now confirmed that online gaming will in fact be free.

The doubt began when Kaz Hirai did not specifically mention online play as a basic, free service. Instead, his slide listed everything but, including friends lists, video chat, ranking and more.

This morning, however, an Sony Computer Entertainment America PR Manager had this to say:

"Please note that online gaming will be free right out of the box."

Online play is one of the features the free (Silver) Xbox Live service does not include, and so free online play on the PS3 may be one of the only features that differentiates Sony's online service from Xbox Live.

It's important to note that certain Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) games may still have some sort of fee.👍
www.ps3land.com

That's good, you see over a year that's already a £60 saving on the XB360's online experince, you take that £60 off the price of the PS3 and all of a sudden the price difference isn't that great, infact it puts the standard pack PS3 below the premuim pack 360 price wise. Now you deduct £60 for every year you intend to have the console and think you'll beusing it online, 2 years, that's £120 now the 60GB PS3 is cheaper than the 360. 3 years, 4 years, hell 4 years, that's £240, hang on, £240, that means the 60GB PS3 will have been less than the basic 360 package. Now it may be easier to think about it this way and add thoes prices onto the 360's price, so 4 years of online gaming and a premium pack 360 will have cost you a whooping £540, that's £115 more than the 6GB PS3 and 4 years online and £190 more than the 20GB PS3, the standard XB360 pack would leave you £15 more than the 60GB PS3 and £90 more than the 20G PS3. PS3 not a bargain, think again.

It would be amazing if the online gaming was free, that would really give xbox live a run for is money......

Oh and also, Ive never seen under the flap, thanks for the pic posted further up eventhough its an old one.....

Ive just read afew articles off the ps3land site... I didnt like the one about the console not entirely made in Japan..... usually (as the article stated) they make them in Japan until afew years in..... now just because they have set a stupid manufacture target they are just going to find any factories that can make them to pump them out around the world...... That really annoys me because the ones made in Japan are far superior (Im talking about the PS2)...... never any lens failures, quieter opperation, better quality parts, the case feels more solid and the console is noticeably heavier..... The newer PS2's broke down all the time......and they felt cheap. Which such new and breakthrough technology going into the ps3's manufacture I would be really dissapointed if it doesnt say MADE IN JAPAN on the back.

Well, I don't think online gaming is going to be TOTALY free. I mean, how do they recoup their losses from all the online costs? Do they plan to make it all back on Sony cash cards?

KENJIusa
Yes, they complain their pants off simply because the PS3 is more expensive than the 360, regardless the amazing technology that packed inside the PS3:ill:

Yep, Amazing technology to stream media.

1.7 How fast can you read/write data on a Blu-ray disc?According to the Blu-ray Disc specification, 1x speed is defined as 36Mbps. However, as BD-ROM movies will require a 54Mbps data transfer rate the minimum speed we're expecting to see is 2x (72Mbps). Blu-ray also has the potential for much higher speeds, as a result of the larger numerical aperture (NA) adopted by Blu-ray Disc.

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_video_codecs

The CPU have to decode 54mbps of compressed data when playing a movie.

Solid Lifters
Well, I don't think online gaming is going to be TOTALY free. I mean, how do they recoup their losses from all the online costs? Do they plan to make it all back on Sony cash cards?

Exactly.

$1.99 for a new map, and 100,000 people buy that map, Sony makes $200,000.

Of course, this is only for their first party titles, as I'm sure 3rd party will have to be devided up.

But, I'm almost positive that the development costs of additional maps, or characters/vehicles etc, are significantly lower than $200,000.

Then you've also got online advertising, which is a possibility.

Sony will also more than likely sell Demo's online, and I'd assume that of these demo's, the first *major* one, I'm predicting, will be Metal Gear Solid 4.

I also expect OPM to die as a magazine in the future, or at least be joined by an online counterpart, which will come full with articles etc, delivered straight to your HDD on your PS3, of course, this will come with a subscription cost, more than likely purchased through a cash card.

If you really look at the workings of it, it has potential to generate MORE money than a payment service as Xbox live does.

LaBounti
Thats an old picture from last years concept PS3. Notice there are no LED lights next to the usb ports. And no front ventilation

Yes i know, Its just not a picture that i had seen yet, not many ppl on here have seen it and it wasnt a ver y common picture. I have been wondering what it looked like under that flap since last year.

Also on the topic of the size, i dont care and i highly doubt sony does either. They will do what they did with all of their consoles. After a while they will revise the console and make it about half as big as the launch system and relaunch it and basically make more money that way. they did it with the PS1(PSone) and the PS2(PStwo) and ill bet money there will be a PSthree. Its a great way to boost sales back up after they have dropped off.

live4speed
That's good, you see over a year that's already a £60 saving on the XB360's online experince, you take that £60 off the price of the PS3 and all of a sudden the price difference isn't that great, infact it puts the standard pack PS3 below the premuim pack 360 price wise. Now you deduct £60 for every year you intend to have the console and think you'll beusing it online, 2 years, that's £120 now the 60GB PS3 is cheaper than the 360. 3 years, 4 years, hell 4 years, that's £240, hang on, £240, that means the 60GB PS3 will have been less than the basic 360 package. Now it may be easier to think about it this way and add thoes prices onto the 360's price, so 4 years of online gaming and a premium pack 360 will have cost you a whooping £540, that's £115 more than the 6GB PS3 and 4 years online and £190 more than the 20GB PS3, the standard XB360 pack would leave you £15 more than the 60GB PS3 and £90 more than the 20G PS3. PS3 not a bargain, think again.
Well, paying £60 to go online with the 360 isn't exactly true. If you buy per year, it's £40 from a store, and around £33 ordering online. If you pay per month for a year, yes, it would add up to about £60, which I find ridiculous really.

Well even £40 per year puits the prices of the XB360 premium over the 60GB PS3's over 4 years and so does £33, either way the PS3 isn't more expensive if your going to be an online subscriber.

guys, a bit away from the current discussion, but i´m still recovering from E3... i´m posting this here, because you guys are great bringing in news regarding the PS3 world. i just wonder if kazunori yamauchiwalked away from E3 without giving a single interview... i mean, what kind of gaming journalism is this? somebody out there i think at least tried to interview him... but i can´t find any story in the web... so if you guys find anything new, please post here too:tup:

I don't think KY gave an interview at E3 at all, because if he did, gamespot and IGN sure would have it. May be it's too early to talk about GT5 or vision turismo at this time, or he wanted to keep secret about it. I expect to hear from KY a couple of week before the PS3 is released, because any interesting detail from GT around that time will get even more public attention toward the PS3.

Sony plan on making there money via the cash cards like you said, and Tha_cons statement about the maps costing $1.99
tah_con
$1.99 for a new map, and 100,000 people buy that map, Sony makes $200,000.
is exactly what will happen, third party titles have been given the go to organise their own servers running the games so costs will varie from title to title.

I see 1st party titles and 3rd party titles costing similar for online stuff but they developers of the later titles will have free reign on what to charge, Sony will get a %ige of that, so there is scope to make allot of cash, and keep the online play free, see you on the other side of deep forest for our GTP online race meets, "where did you get that exhaust it sounds awsome" "I got it from HKS GT online store, its the new Drager III Exhaust 4800cr". LOL

[edit#1]

Also think about the PS3 getting firmware upgrades like the PSP, this would allow for an emulator (AKA PSP's PS1 emulator) so that people can buy PS1 roms or even PSP and PS2 roms via the net, Apple Itunes or some other music download feature could net allot of cash, plus the PS3 is home brew so kool apps or game will appear making the online features even better, what about an E-Bay programme that tracks your E-bay items and keeps you informaed via the PS3, Im sure allot of people will use that, the posibilitys to make revenue is endless.

[edit#2]

Quick question dose anyone know if there will be the ability to read PS1 + 2 memory cards for our GT save and what not? Its just come to light that nothing has been said yet, unless ive totally missed it.

[edit #3]

IGN
May 17, 2006 - The latest issue of Famitsu has a lengthy update on the new Final Fantasy XIII series, Square Enix's big E3 surprise for PlayStation 3 and mobile. While most of the article is nothing more than speculation based off the contents of the main FFXIII E3 trailer (seen in our media section below), we were able to pick up a few intriguing details through an interview with the development staff.

While Square Enix announced at E3 that development on the main FFXIII game began on the PS2, the magazine reveals that the project switched platforms not too long ago. Back when the Final Fantasy VII technical demo was shown at last year's E3, the team working on that demo was simultaneously working on the PS2 version of FFXIII. The switch came after this. Motome Torishima, director of the main FFXIII title, explained to the magazine that that development staff found it difficult to go back to the PS2 after having experienced the next generation through its work on the demo.
Watching the game's trailer, and it should be apparent why. FFXIII's visual quality is so high that it's tough to differentiate the pre-rendered sequences in the trailer from the real time sequences. Based on the Famitsu report, the battle sequences and the scene of the main character walking through a detailed forest are all real time. The other parts aren't as clear and may actually be pre-rendered, but whatever the case, the separation between pre-rendered and real time is smaller than ever!

Real time or pre-rendered, visuals seem to play a big role in establishing the FFXIII world. Torishima revealed to the magazine that the development staff spent quite a bit of time on the pre-production aspects of FFXIII. The FFXIII series' concept is based on Crystals that lead the world towards the future. Crystals take the form of real world objects that are used for every day conveniences. All objects are meant to have some sort of meaning, noted Torishima, right down to individual pillars and signboards. The game's graphic artists didn't simply try to make the visuals more realistic.

code_kev
...or people who really want one but cant stump up the huge sums of money needed to get the machine, some games, and an extra pad. Like myself. :P
But if you work it out, the PS3 can cost less than the XB360, it depends if you'll be playing your 360 online or not though.

hehe thanks

I'm currently trying to get my self my first proper full time job since finishing Uni, so If that gets sorted it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Fingers crossed.

You work, yeah rig... I mean well done :sly::lol:.

Well good luck with getting a job and all, the £100 difference between the 360 and PS3 won't seem like such a big thing working full time.

live4speed
But if you work it out, the PS3 can cost less than the XB360, it depends if you'll be playing your 360 online or not though.

:odd:

No matter what you do, it will cost more or you not gonna have fun.

In Canada the PS3(20GB) will cost 550$(630$ with tax included) & the PS3(60GB) will cost 650$(745$ with tax included). Though I really doubt it will have the accessory ready. As you know, gamer like to have their console ready to play. Prepare you money, cause you need to buy a recharge kit for the wireless controller, new cables for you TV & games for your new toys.

So what I recommend is to save money about 30% above the price of the console, so you'll be "Plug & Play" once you'll get it.

(note: I've spend over 1300$ only on my 360 :lol:)

The PS3 is free to play online, the XB360 is not, over a couple of years your XB360 + the cost of playing online will bring the costs of both consoles to a similar price. The average person owns and uses a console for 3 to 4 years, over 3 to 4 years the cost of and XB360 premium pack and playing it online will be higher than the cost of the 60GB PS3 and playing that online.

And no, you don't need a recharge kit for the PS3's controller, you just plug it into the PS3 via USB to charge it or to use it wired. Sony has said rather bluntly, the PS3 will have all you need to use it (both the 20GB and 60GB models) in the box.

$1100 Canadian is only £525, your 60GB PS3 will cost around £70 less than ours £70 is almost $150 Canadian, you think you have it bad :lol:;).

code_kev
...or people who really want one but cant stump up the huge sums of money needed to get the machine, some games, and an extra pad. Like myself. :P

I consider myslef an "OG"(original gamer) even at 27 i was born and raised around videogames. From atari to intelevision, from Master system to NES. I got my PS1 on my 17th birthday/ Now 10 years later at 27 and with a job I can see myself paying $600 for PS3 for loyalty and big interest in PS3's games and features. I am a Playstaion fan I will be unitl the end.

I think most just see a price and not value.

live4speed
The PS3 is free to play online, the XB360 is not, over a couple of years your XB360 + the cost of playing online will bring the costs of both consoles to a similar price. The average person owns and uses a console for 3 to 4 years, over 3 to 4 years the cost of and XB360 premium pack and playing it online will be higher than the cost of the 60GB PS3 and playing that online.

And no, you don't need a recharge kit for the PS3's controller, you just plug it into the PS3 via USB to charge it or to use it wired. Sony has said rather bluntly, the PS3 will have all you need to use it (both the 20GB and 60GB models) in the box.

Do you buy your own stuff?

How much cost the USB headset for the PS2?
I bought mine 50$ here in Canada. I bought the DFP 200$, I bought FFXI 150$, I bought the S-video cable 50$, I bought the Component cable 50$, I bought the AV adaptor 20$. Just for my PS2.

Though, those are not game. That's why I say to save more money for the PS3.

Mr Deap
Do you buy your own stuff?

How much cost the USB headset for the PS2?
I bought mine 50$ here in Canada. I bought the DFP 200$, I bought FFXI 150$, I bought the S-video cable 50$, I bought the Component cable 50$, I bought the AV adaptor 20$. Just for my PS2.

Though, those are not game. That's why I say to save more money for the PS3.
Ok, let's look at that right quick.

- USB headset: needed for full immersion in online play
- DFP: NOT needed but nice to have
- FFXI: Not Needed Game/hardware combination that's not needed for any other games.
-S Video Cable: Not needed but nice to have
-Component cable: Not needed but nice to have(I guess you got a new TV in between, how much was that? :) )
- AV Adapter: Probably needed

So if you look at it, you only HAD to spend about 70$ extra bucks. Not including games, memory cards and controllers.

Yeah I buy all my own stuff, they don't sell PS2 headset's new and on thier own anymore I have no idea what they cost when they did. But you can pick one up for about £20 second hand but as good as new on Amazon in the market place which is $41 canadian.

Swift
Ok, let's look at that right quick.

- USB headset: needed for full immersion in online play
- DFP: NOT needed but nice to have
- FFXI: Not Needed Game/hardware combination that's not needed for any other games.
-S Video Cable: Not needed but nice to have
-Component cable: Not needed but nice to have(I guess you got a new TV in between, how much was that? :) )
- AV Adapter: Probably needed

So if you look at it, you only HAD to spend about 70$ extra bucks. Not including games, memory cards and controllers.

My current TV is a Flat CRT analog input. Component look a lot better on it. I use S-video for my capture recording on my PC.

The AV Adaptor was for my GunCon to play Time Crisis 2 on component or S-video.(my friend broke my gun, so no more TC2:ouch: )

Now I use my Av adaptor to use on both capture & TV.

Accessory is fun. 👍

Well as soon as I heard about Sony taking the Rumble out of the DS3 I was a little upset, but I knew that the reason they gave for this fudge was a pile of CR*P and the actual problem was the lawsuit they are fighting at the moment with Immersion, & most people thought this was the case including Immersion too. here is waht they had to say about the ongoing case and Sonys so called interferance problems.

gamasutra.com
In September of 2004, Immersion Corporation was awarded damages of approximately 90 million dollars in a lawsuit against Sony, who Immersion said made illegal use of its technologies. Immersion, which manufactures force-feedback and so-called “haptic” (engaging the user via the sense of touch) devices for a wide range of applications, is headed by Victor Viegas, who took some time to speak with Gamasutra about the lawsuit, and about Sony’s announcement that the PS3 would not contain rumble technology.

As far as the ongoing litigation is concerned, Viegas is confident that the end result will be in his company’s favor.

“We’ve already won,” he said. “In September the jury was unanimous in its defense of our actions.”

In addition to the monetary damages awarded, Viegas said the other outcome of the 2004 verdict was an injunction that, if applied, would prohibit Sony from any production, manufacture, or sale of the related technologies in the United States. It is this injunction that Sony is currently attempting to appeal.

“They’ve taken aggressive positions with the use of patents to try to invalidate our claims, and have argued that Immersion committed fraud,” Viegas said. “There’s been quite a lot of legal activity and a lot of unnecessary energy expended over this.”

Previous lawsuits in which immersion has played a part include a settlement with Microsoft (who was originally named as a defendant in the same suit Sony is currently fighting) and Electrosource, the company which produces the Pelican brand of third-party controllers. Both of these companies have settled with Immersion, but Viegas says he sees no current indicators that Sony will follow suit.

In addition to Immersion’s case against Sony itself, he says they have also filed a lawsuit against a Sony witness, who Viegas says appears to have been paid for testimony. As for Sony’s decision to not include haptic technology in their next-generation controllers, Viegas says he is skeptical of their proposed reasoning.

The company announced in a press release that the PS3 controller would lack vibration due to the possibility of it interfering with the controller’s new tilt sensors, which Viegas feels is unlikely.

“If what they’re saying is in fact the reason why [the controller will not have vibration], I’ve offered them numerous solutions to the problem,” Viegas said in an interview Tuesday. “I don’t believe it’s a very difficult problem to solve, and Immersion has experts that would be happy to solve that problem for them.”

The solutions offered by Immersion, however, would hinge upon Sony’s acceptance of the current litigation, and no word has been given as to Sony’s plans on the matter. Viegas says that Immersion “would have no qualms helping Sony with their problem, if indeed it is a problem,” but the company would have to cease its appeal against the current injunction.

Viegas is confident, however, that his company’s technology will be at home on video game systems in the future.

“We feel haptic or vibration technology is quite possible in a next gen system,” he said. “It can provide greater fidelity, better effects, and a more complete sense of immersion, using a wired or wireless controller.”

As far as Sony’s choice to remove vibration from their new console, he feels it goes against the ideas of improvement that are espoused by those entering the next-gen market.

“When you think about the investments they’re making in improving graphics and sound, these are all meant to try to immerse you or put you in the middle of gameplay,” Viegas said. “So to take vibration out of a driving game or a first person shooting game, I can’t imagine how people will be able to view that as an advancement in gaming.”

Viegas also said that the responses he’s found on websites and in blogs seem to imply that gamers agree Sony has taken “a step backward” in its development of gaming by its removal of vibration technology.

“From what I’ve read, people are not happy,” he said.

Within his own company it seems, people are not happy with Sony’s decision either.

“We had a lot of employees on the floor at E3, and many of them got to get their hands on the [Playstation 3] controller,” Viegas said. “They say it felt light, that it felt cheap and flimsy, and that it lacked weight or substance. Overall, they were disappointed.”

Apparently, Immersion employees were not the only ones upset at the lack of haptic response in Sony’s new console.

“I’ve spoken with a lot of developers, and apparently out of the early kits they were given to work with, at least a few of them contained vibration technology,” Viegas said. “When the announcement was made that the final product wouldn’t contain that technology, they were as shocked as everyone else.”

Holding over 600 patents, Immersion is certainly not going to go out of business due to the fracas over the Sony suit, but Viegas said he’s hopeful it can be resolved in a fashion that allows players to experience the depth of immersion haptic technology can offer to a next-gen system.

As for the rest of the next-gen consoles, Viegas said they have demonstrated their technology to Microsoft, and have no current plans to interact with Nintendo on its upcoming Wii console, nor do they have any plans to file future injunctions against Nintendo or any other company, yet.

“We have officially stated we have not performed full analysis on Nintendo’s product so are not in a position to comment on the technology they are using,” Viegas said, adding “we’ll take a look at those.”

In the meantime, Viegas said Immersion is hard at work on other haptic technologies that will be applied in a wide range of fields, from creating virtual environments for doctors and nurses to feedback units for automobiles and flat touchscreens. For Sony, however, the ball is in their court.

“We have solutions we have perfected and demonstrated to Sony, contingent on their acceptance of our terms,” Viegas said. “All we can do now is wait and see.”

Back