PS3 General Discussion

Can the hotness affect the PS3's temperature that much? It suddenly started making a loud noise while I was playing GTA and I unplugged&cleaned it. The weather was similar last summer but nothing like this happened;is it just the temperature or something else? Main reason I'm asking is because I heard of people's PS3s break down in a similar manner, by costantly having their fans at full speed... :nervous:

PS.:yes it was clean

Can the hotness affect the PS3's temperature that much? It suddenly started making a loud noise while I was playing GTA and I unplugged&cleaned it. The weather was similar last summer but nothing like this happened;is it just the temperature or something else? Main reason I'm asking is because I heard of people's PS3s break down in a similar manner, by costantly having their fans at full speed... :nervous:

PS.:yes it was clean

It could be that the thermal paste needs changing. If you have an older PS3 over time the stock paste can dry up and crack leading to higher temps making the fan go faster. It would be worth opening it up to check.

It could be that the thermal paste needs changing. If you have an older PS3 over time the stock paste can dry up and crack leading to higher temps making the fan go faster. It would be worth opening it up to check.
This particular one is a super slim, about 2 years old. Is it still worth opening it up?

This particular one is a super slim, about 2 years old. Is it still worth opening it up?

Super slims shouldn't really have heat problems especially if it's only 2 years old. If you feel confident that you know what your doing you could open it to take a look.

If the weather is particularly hot at the moment it might be worth waiting till it's cooler to see if it is still running hot.

Super slims shouldn't really have heat problems especially if it's only 2 years old. If you feel confident that you know what your doing you could open it to take a look.

If the weather is particularly hot at the moment it might be worth waiting till it's cooler to see if it is still running hot.
I am running GTA again now, it's silent... for now.
I have some experience with opening computers up but I don't have any with the PS3, warranty's over so I'll do it if absolutely necessary. Here's hoping it won't be!

I am running GTA again now, it's silent... for now.
I have some experience with opening computers up but I don't have any with the PS3, warranty's over so I'll do it if absolutely necessary. Here's hoping it won't be!

Just keep an eye on it. If it gets to hot or the fan gets too loud just quit the game for a while to let it cool down 👍

After 2 hours of GTA, no problems although I did move it a bit to give it more space. Thanks for all the advice, might come in handy 👍

Have a save question

If i buy PS plus and upload my copyrighted save to the cloud, can i then download that save to another ps3 by signing into to my account from that ps3?

I have to buy a new PS3. I'm going to Gamestop as the used program they have is really good. I've had two good experience with them with zero issues.

What type of console should I get? I know some had certain problems. I'd like to get a lot of space to download all my PS+ games and have a nice catalog to fool around with when bored. I had an 80GB and I could barely hold anything on that. So what do you suggest?

I have to buy a new PS3. I'm going to Gamestop as the used program they have is really good. I've had two good experience with them with zero issues.

What type of console should I get? I know some had certain problems. I'd like to get a lot of space to download all my PS+ games and have a nice catalog to fool around with when bored. I had an 80GB and I could barely hold anything on that. So what do you suggest?

I've heard the slims rather than the super slims are a good choice, better built than the later models. Personally any fat models I wouldn't bother with because they are pretty unreliable with YLOD etc. Unless someone has already upgraded the HDD it will be worth sticking a larger drive in whatever model you buy.

After installing the latest update for Spotify on my PS3 the app became completely broken. Anyone here who can see if this happens to them as well? Because I have reinstalled the app and it happened again.

This looks pretty fishy to me to be honest. Nothing in the app, not even the version number changes. Could it be Sony trying to make people switch to the PS4? *conspiracy intensifies*

:lol: I can confirm that spotify works perfectly well on PS4 after an update so I suspect you may be on the right track. :odd:

I can confirm that spotify works perfectly well on PS4 after an update so I suspect you may be on the right track. :odd:
I just had to change my internet settings and set the MTU a bit lower than the default. Hope that doesn't affect anything else...

It's strange though. It worked fine before!

Hi everyone!
I never changed an hard disk on my ps3 ,also pc, i want ask if the "ssdnow kingston uv400 128gb" is good for running on a ps3 !? What genre of tips should i watch?.
I have the super slim ps3,was put inside the hdd of my old slim version (60gb).
Now i' ve got this ssd as a gift , that i could put on my pc,if it should not works properly.Sorry my English.
Advances apologize if off topic.

Hi everyone!
I never changed an hard disk on my ps3 ,also pc, i want ask if the "ssdnow kingston uv400 128gb" is good for running on a ps3 !? What genre of tips should i watch?.
Now i' ve got this ssd as a gift , that i could put on my pc,if it should not works properly.Sorry my English.

An SSD in the PS3 should be fine, you might need an adapter/bracket to install it in the 2.5" HDD bay. When you install it it will probably ask you to format it to the PS3 format.

Hi everyone!

If you don't have an SSD in your PC then put it in there as your main OS drive, it'll benefit your PC MUCH more than it will your PS3.

An SSD in the PS3 should be fine, you might need an adapter/bracket to install it in the 2.5" HDD bay. When you install it it will probably ask you to format it to the PS3 format.
Thank you!.Yes i had the adapter cause as i write,i had put hdd into my ps3 superslim from old ones,but the gaming or others thing can make it trouble? this kingston have a good setup for gaming? I ask there cause i think many of ps3 owners put ssd or change parts of console,so if you or others can watch the specific of my ssd and tell me if this is a good or a bad model, i'll thank you all. 👍
I have a laptop, i said pc , cause i have that one, so replace 640gb hdd with 128gb is not the best idea,but i can use the ssd in other things,i think, repeat is a gift, i think the person that give it to me had asked the dealer if was good for that. It's sure that i have no idea of pc and console.

Last edited:
Thank you!.Yes i had the adapter cause as i write,i had put hdd into my ps3 superslim from old ones,but the gaming or others thing can make it trouble? this kingston have a good setup for gaming? I ask there cause i think many of ps3 owners put ssd or change parts of console,so if you or others can watch the specific of my ssd and tell me if this is a good or a bad model, i'll thank you all. 👍
I have a laptop, i said pc , cause i have that one, so replace 640gb hdd with 128gb is not the best idea,but i can use the ssd in other things,i think, repeat is a gift, i think the person that give it to me had asked the dealer if was good for that. It's sure that i have no idea of pc and console.

With an SSD you will only see a very small improvement on the PS3 with loading times. The PS3 is only SATA 1 speed regardless of what drive you put in so all SSD's will perform similarly. Kingston is a good brand and the reviews for your drive are decent so I doubt you would have any problems.

I understand that you will loose a lot of space if you put it in laptop but the speed increase will be very good. You could put your 640GB HDD in a USB external caddy so you still have that storage space. It is up to you but the SSD should work fine in either the laptop or the PS3.

If you don't have an SSD in your PC then put it in there as your main OS drive, it'll benefit your PC MUCH more than it will your PS3.[/
I have a laptop, i said pc , cause i have that one, so replace 640gb hdd with 128gb is not the best idea,but i can use the ssd in other things,i think, repeat is a gift, i think the person that give it to me had asked the dealer if was good for that.
With an SSD you will only see a very small improvement on the PS3 with loading times. The PS3 is only SATA 1 speed regardless of what drive you put in so all SSD's will perform similarly. Kingston is a good brand and the reviews for your drive are decent so I doubt you would have any problems.

I understand that you will loose a lot of space if you put it in laptop but the speed increase will be very good. You could put your 640GB HDD in a USB external caddy so you still have that storage space. It is up to you but the SSD should work fine in either the laptop or the PS3.

Thank you, all very clear, cheers!:cheers:

Anybody else find themselves playing on the PS3 more than the PS4?

Since this is a PS3 discussion thread, currently trying to complete all the WRC games on the PS3. They're so addictive & fun, for me they are. WRC 4 is my favourite modern Rally game for the PS3.

Since most people moved on to the PlayStation 4, it almost seems pointless to play on the PS3. I only got back into the PlayStation 3 mostly to play a few games I bought recently- "Virtua Fighter 5" and "F1 Championship Edition." I know these are two VERY old games. However, maybe I haven't been too much into the PS4 especially in needing PlayStation Plus membership to play online. It is a touch foolish to spend more money just to use online. Now I don't believe in putting a heavy emphasis on multiplayer for basic gaming, I do, however, think it adds flavor to games to be able to communicate with others online as well as play against them. So it kind of goes both ways here.

I know a year old post just wanted to say I bought one of the best, most expensive SSDs at the time (Samsung Evo) and I'm so happy with it. Yes, you won't notice in most games, but it also really depends from game to game.

The 2 biggest advantages of a SSD are much faster installs and less heat, which is considering how hot a PS3 sometimes gets a pretty important factor I think that I rarely see mentioned.

And yes I still play more on my PS3 than on my PS4, the PS4 is more or less an expensive dust collector most of the time.

My 60GB YLOD'd like a year ago and I have been dreading having to take the Blu Ray drive apart to get the disk out thats stuck in it.

This model doesn't have the fan test/ emergency eject feature the 40GB ownwards have so manually removing it is the only option.

Resetting the disc drive is a monumental pain because there are a million cogs and levers. Most people who reassemble it never get it to take discs again.

If I ever fix the YLOD later down the line I don't want to find I broke the Blu Ray drive!

I actually bought a replacement PS3 a couple of months ago because I was thinking about doing the YouTube thing for fun. I've thought about transferring my saves from the old non-BC 80 to the new 250...but in order to make enough room for updates to GT5 and/or 6 and a couple of others, I'm down to only a handful of games on it at all, and the thing is that they're games I have no issue with playing the single player over again. Trophies are tied to PSN accounts now, so those won't be lost, and aside from Burnout and GT6 the online for the other games I have is either dead or dying, so I don't know if I should bother with transferring data.

I'm giving my 80 to my sister, so I want to clear off my crap so she can do as she pleases.

Back