Greycap's Greatest Snapshots - Updated 020608 - Mercedes Benz 300SL-C

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 946 comments
Specialized - Thanks, and the wait won't be long, because here we have... *drumroll*

TVR Cerbera Speed 12 '00

Some of them are dark, I know, but it was fully intentional. That's my way of capturing the feeling into the shots!

Comments, be they good or bad, please. :cheers:

Hehe, somehow I had a subliminal feeling that this car could be next! ;)

The first shot is, as always, a good opener. It showcases the car, and it's unusual colour, going moderately sideways to display it's massive power. The shot also shows the modified rear wing, although no rims can be seen. I like this angle, it works well on the Reverse version of Midfield rather than Forwards. Mentioning the course choice, being in Reverse makes the picture seem a little confused to my mind, as I always drive on the Forwards version, but I suppose that's just me. As you know, I love S-bends in photos, so I like this!

The first thumb, ah, this is a bit brighter. It takes the eye a bit more, I think, and the car looks a bit better here, erasing my doubts about the colour in the first photo. This low camera makes the car look intimidating and muscular, as does the exposure staying quite low. The rumble strip in sharp focus on the bottom edge, as with the first photo, helps to overall feel of the photo a bit. Bit of subtle blur on the car making it seem faster, I like this shot a lot.

The second thumb, you cut out the S-bend! Hehe, I'll survive.. The brake-lights give a good place for your eyes to focus on, I think I'd have had a bit of angle of drift in this angle but this works OK without. The rumble strips are featuring heavily in this update so far, but they look good. The grass looks a lot brighter than the car, which gives the impression that this is a dark car in itself.

The third thumb, aha, are we getting a new trademark emerging here? Anyway, this shot is my favourite so far. It's fairly dark, but it looks very much like that's how you wanted it. Sharp focus on the tunnel pillars as with the previous RGT photo contrasts very well with the car, which looks even more like a missile than usual with so much blurring. Interestingly, this shot shows the wing best. It also gives the impression that the car has no rims at all - they're totally indescernible inside the tyres. The track remains in good focus across the photo (Yep, there's still some rumble strip at the bottom!), and this adds to the feel that the car really is going extremely quickly. Excellent shot, this.

The last thumbnail brings what I've been waiting for, an excessive drift shot! The car's running very wide, turning in late, but you get the feel that it's going to rotate under pure power to get around this corner. Very good corner for drift shots, in my opinion. The tyres are letting off so much smoke and bits of rubber it appears there's a fog behind the car, but when I look around the rest of the photo I notice that this isn't just an appearance - the photo is actually quite hazy. It still shows the rear of the car the clearest of the lot, though, and it looks pretty good overall.

The final photo I don't really like. I like the display of power with the car lifting the fronts over the crest of the hill, but that's pretty much it. It's just too dark for my liking, I can't actually look at it easily. The trees are indistinguishable and the car too shadowed. Definitely not a very good photo in my opinion. I know this is what you were aiming for, but I don't like it. It doesn't seem like a good ending photo either.

Aside from the last shot, another very good update! It's different in that the photos are intentionally dark and intimidating, but this suits the car well and the colour you chose goes with this theme. Good job.

If I had to pick a favourite, this one is quite hard. It's between the first and third thumbs, and actually in thumbnail form the first one looks like a better prospect but the full size third thumb is the best one here in my opinion.

👍 👍

DE

I like those TVR pics very much my friend. 👍 The darkness suits them, I think too much brightness would spoil it. The first shot is a typical Greycap shot, really nice view on the bridge. The following three are also of your style. The last too aren't really your type of shots, low angles, but they're great too nonetheless. 👍

Gee DE, those are some reviews right there! I'll rep. :)

Dark Elite - First, rep given. I just had to. Second, thanks for the excellent analysis! The blur shot was the best picture of these but I didn't want to make it a big one - now it was more tempting to click and see the full-sizer. :)

Leonidae - Novel indeed... and thanks!

sejtur - Thanks, it was good to be able to shoot with my own style again as the Autumn Ring had quite bad camera angles for that.

Pink_The_Floyd - Thank you!

Max911 - Thanks for visiting, and you can bet that I will!

Anyone else? :)

I like the 1st shot the most, but I cannot belive you used those ugly rendered GT4 spoilers.

viperpilot - Thank you!

TVR&Ferrari_Fan - Thanks, and I just had to to make it competitive in corners.

Pink_The_Floyd - Some day... (I know, someday never comes)

FaLLeNAn9eL - Thanks!

Ginetta G4 '64

Quite dark ones again, the car stands out though and I included a blur shot this time too. Please tell me what you think about them, be it good or bad. :cheers:

Pretty nice shots, they all seem to have a good composition and I love the colour of the car, it seems to fit in fairly well at Grand Valley.

My favourites are the first, the shot with the lake (just a shame about the quality of the graphics in the scenery), and the final shot. Here, I noticed the matching colours of the car and the lights above the track, and I think this made the lights stand out that bit more, making quite a big thing of the scenery. Its also nice how they're fading away towards a vanishing point. Great shot.

Overall, a good update. Not as good as the TVR, in my opinion, but still a good, solid set of pics.

Keep up the good work Greycap.

I also have to say it wasn't as good as the TVR, but I'm 50% sure it was just because of the car itself. Still great update, great shots with little editing. You're the only person I know that has held one style for so long.

Greycap, after looking at your pictures I think they are all extremelly good, lots of diffrent angles other than the ones many other members use all the time, Ginetta G4 pictures, amazing all the thumbnails in post #1, amazing, keep up the great pictures, hope to see more very soon :)

Leonidae - Yep, they are! Sometimes it's hard to believe that a 300 MHz machine that is five years old can produce graphics like this.

nic_brix - Thanks for the deeper review! The big ones turned out very well, and the last one is one of the best Grand Valley shots I've ever taken. I didn't even realize the colour of the lights when taking the picture but subconsciously I may have seen them to be the perfect thing there. Scenery is always a big thing for me. :)

PERFECT BALANCE - Thanks, and as I've said earlier, this style will only disappear when I disappear.

GeorgeMorley - Thank you, I try to have more variety in my shots and it seems I'm succeeding in it at least occasionally. More to come, sooner or later.

PLmatt91 - Thanks, and the colour was actually "the wrong one", I wanted a red car. Fortunately I didn't get it. :P

I know you others are there too, don't be so shy! :)

TVR&Ferrari_Fan - Quite true, thanks for taking a look!

Lotus Elise 111R '04

One more after a longish break, I hope it continues in the footprints of the preceding updates. :)

I love the 1st shot the most, but I know you can do better. Anyway please drop by my gallery Greycap, because it’s been a while since you last dropped by buddy.

Back