PS3 General Discussion

I don't care anymore. I just want the PS3 to come out with some half decent games and within a month or two I'll know if it's crock or Rock (sorry, I came over all radio DJ-ish).
All these rumours and tittle-tattle is tiring to read. It would be nice to get some real good news on the PS3 as opposed to tons of half-arsed BS but that'll be a while coming I fear.
I'm hoping TGS in September(?) will have a good show for the PS3.

Solid Lifters
Why, tha-con, do you have to be such an enormous asshole about these simple things? Notice, nobody else creates such problems. Oh well, I guess it makes you feel better about yourself.

ICT was not an issue, you decided it was. I know what ICT is, so why bring it up at all? I know that Japan, and most likely us, wont have an issue with ICT for quite some time. I also knew analog HD, which is component, will be shut off in 2014. Why did you feel the need to bring that up is beyond me. The PS3 will have ICT from the start, but it's up to software and media companies to use it or not.

It's nice to hear Phil Harrison say that a non-HDMI (digital) output PS3 will be 1080p compatible. Because, the Blu-ray players wont be. It looks like Sony will make an exception to the rule. Did it need to be this difficult to get that basic bit of information from you? No.

Yes, you can be a lot less of a dick-head. So, my original post stands. If you have new news about something, post it up. Playing these stupid games with you is getting really tiresome.

Oh, and yes, there are still are media companies planning on using ICT. So, you were wrong. Again. However, they will have to label on the package they are using it.

It's not that blu-ray players will not output 1080p over an analog output, it is simply that the players themselves do not have them.

This is to enhance copy protection, and content quality. They do not want people buying Blu-Ray players and hooking them up to standard TV's via component cables and not being able to see it because of resolution incompatibility.

HDMI eliminates this, thus, all Blu-Ray stand alone players are shipped with HDMI, however, none of them are "incapable" of 1080p via analog component output.

Also, the PS3 is only capable of this to ensure the largest possible user base, as if they were to go only HDMI, they would cut their user base significantly.

But, again, as I stated before, both models are capable of 1080p, be it over component or HDMI. The $599 will output 1080p over BOTH HDMI and Component, and the $499 model will output 1080p over Component cables.

And if there are major movie studio's whoare planning on using ICT, please point them out to me, because as far as I know, no one has CONFIRMED they are using it, they are just "UNDECIDED".

And please, for the love of god, do not refer me to AVS forums again, as half of the community is just as ill informed and misled as you can be.

The Sony PS3 Cell Processor Will Go 65nm in 2007

Ken Kutaragi, Sony Computer Entertainment President, revealed today in an interview with Japan's Impress Watch that the PS3's Cell processor will make the switch to a 65nm manufacturing process in 2007. The move to a smaller die means that Sony will save some money on each processor and that the processors will consume less power.

Probably not by much at all. It'll take about a year longer (assuming this happens in 2007) for it to drop.

I wouldn't expect a PS3 price drop until 2008.

If this has already been asked and answered please forgive me and point me in the right direction.

I dont have a High Definition TV (I know I'm behind the times), its just a run-of-the-mill 27" TV. My question is, will the PS3 work with the TV I have or will I have to buy a cheap HD TV for it all to work.

Thanks!!

Lemke
Well that makes it easy. Thanks!
It'll still look pretty good if you have progessive scan on your tv. But as I've been playing my 360 in HD since I got it I will say HD is significantly better. The good thing about the PS3 is that when the time comes to get a new tv, and if you have a PS3, there's no excuse not to get a HD set, unless you're really strapped for money.

Ninja Gaiden Black for PS3?
by Justin Pinter

In the most recent issue of EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly), there was a small note about Ninja Gaiden Black being ported to the PS3 next spring. There has not been any offical confirmation from Tecmo or Team Ninja.

Team Ninja is perfectly capable of bringing this rumor to realisation and have Ninja Gaiden become multiplatform. There were statements earlier this year from Tomonobu Itagaki, head of Team Ninja stating that he would wait and see what Sony will offer before he makes any decisions. Knowing Team Ninja and their hunger for incredible graphics they must have been impressed with the showing of the PS3 at E3 last month.💡

New Details on Call of Duty 3
by Justin Pinter

In the latest edition of Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine, new information was released on Call of Duty 3 and the features that have been improved or added since the last entry to the franchise.

Some of the new additions include:

* Play as Americans, British, Polish Resistance, and the Canadian Army
* Trees and grass will move with the wind
* More than 24 characters on screen at one time
* Characters move more realistically
* In game system has been rebuilt
* Interactive foliage (e.g. grass remains flattened when walked over)
* Scorch marks left from grenades
* Surface-specific reactions to bullets
* Destructible cover
* Wind-altered smoke (from smoke grenades)
* Smoke clinging to tanks
* Bullets manipulating smoke clouds

There are some multiplayer additions as well which include:

* 24 Players Online
* Single or Splitscreen
* Choose from class sets, such as Sniper, Medic, etc.
* Online leaderboards track stats and rankings by class set
* New Multiplayer Modes
* Vehicles

Not only will the Xbox 360 and PS3 provide better graphics for next gen gaming but everything from physics to A.I. are improved considering the processing power of the consoles. So far, Call of Duty 3 is looking to provide some of the same great gameplay that Call of Duty 2 offered and improve on many new areas.
www.ps3land.com

Cell Not Running At Slower Speed

Speaking to our sister site, Eurogamer, a Sony spokesperson has dismissed rumours that the PlayStation 3's hardware specs are to be downgraded as "ridiculous."

A report on website Games Radar claimed that Sony was having trouble fitting all the PS3's components within the console case without risk of overheating. The article also suggested that the Cell processor could run at a lower speed than originally stated.

But Sony spokesperson Jonathan Fargher told Eurogamer: "The PS3 downgrade story is categorically not true.

"Developers have been working with PS3 dev kits for anywhere between eight and 12 months, and to suggest that we'd now take the decision to downgrade the hardware at such a late stage, is, well, ridiculous.

"Worse still is the suggestion that we couldn't fit all the technical components into a plastic box," Fargher continued.

"Granted, whilst all products are not perfect, we do have over 40 years of experience making consumer electronics equipment, and therefore, extensive experience in making things fit - PSone and Slimline PS2 being just two examples of that."

The PlayStation 3 is set to hit shops in Japan on November 11th, with US and European launches to follow on November 17th.

thanks Solid, Seriously I am really getting sick of those stupid rumors spreaded by 360 hardcore fanboys, they just do anything to make the PS3 look bad, don't they?:sly:

KENJIusa
thanks Solid, Seriously I am really getting sick of those stupid rumors spreaded by 360 hardcore fanboys, they just do anything to make the PS3 look bad, don't they?:sly:
Yeah, I had the Ken interview with Game Watch (their link in my sig) and couldn't yield anything from it. Google Japan translation was horrible.

When I saw the article several hours later (Cell slower speed), I figured that was the hot latest news. Nope. I guess not.

BUMP

Sony President: “The World Has Underestimated Our Progress.”

On May 9, Sony announced that the PlayStation 3 will launch on November 11 at around $500 US, and ever since the buzz has not died down. In an interview with Japanese newspaper NikkeiBP, Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi had some interesting things to report about the next-gen console.

When a new console is released, software development is often slow to catch up to the hardware’s potential. With the PS3, fans fear that they will be paying for top of the line hardware but will wait months before they can get their hands on titles that take advantage of it. Kutaragi reports that the PS3 will launch with over 10 titles that are up to speed with the hardware. “In the 20 years I’ve worked in the gaming industry, I have never seen so many titles in the playable phase,” said the Sony CEO. “The world has obviously underestimated our progress in software development. It’s likely that many shook their heads in disbelief at seeing the large number of titles actually working before their eyes.”

Kutaragi described his favorite title coming to the PS3: Eye of Judgment. It is a card-based game that uses the “Eye Toy” camera to read the cards in front of the player. The possibilities for a visual recognition device are endless. “The current camera is a VGA unit—think of the possibilities if we could use an HD camera or what we could accomplish by having the camera read something other than a card,” said Kutaragi. “What if a child placed a random, unexpected object in front of the camera, triggering the game to display something wonderful, as if by magic?”

When comparing the PS3 to the increasing market of the computer industry, Kutaragi said, “Computers are a prime example of “Too Large” and “Too Serious.” Yet the software industry is by no means growing smaller. Some titles with dozens of thousands of people working on them do end up with delayed releases, but on the other hand, there are plenty of examples of small teams successfully developing new software. The industry as a whole is growing. The PlayStation 3 is a computer, so the same rules should apply.”

One of the most talked-about features of the next-gen consoles is networkability and online delivery. Sony’s console is no exception, and the PS3 will have the ability to connect to other consoles, transfer game progress, and even purchase digital games rather than a packaged product. One major concern about this system is the limited hard drive space on the console—merely 20GB to 60GB. Users who want to own several games may find themselves running out of space in the future. “Some users will definitely run out of hard drive space, depending on how they use their console,” said Kutaragi. “Such users will have the option of purchasing larger-capacity hard drives. We may be releasing 120GB drives by next year or the year after that.”

All of this talk of upgrading and expanding truly strengthens Sony’s claim that the PS3 is a computer. While some users fear the idea of having to continually upgrade their console time and time again, Sony embraces it. “As the PlayStation 3 is a computer, we might even offer it on a built-to-order basis, customized to the needs of each and every user,” said Kutaragi. “The hardware components have been designed in a modularized format with this possibility in mind.”

When it comes to the launch date this fall, many fans cringe in memory of the shortages for the Xbox 360. Sony plans to ship one million units per month at launch, totaling six million units by March, 2007. Kutaragi reports that the parts for production have already been secured, and the production should go smoothly. Unlike Sony’s previous consoles, the PS3 will launch throughout the world simultaneously. This has many users worried. Shipping numbers for the PS2 in the first four months for Japan, the U.S. and Europe combined were over ten million. If the PS3 sees similar numbers, there will definitely be a major shortage since the console will ship to the entire world at the same time. Kutaragi was not especially comforting on the issue: “I’m looking forward to facing that dilemma, but now that we’re in the era of networking, and now that the world of PlayStation has widened, I believe it is no longer acceptable for us to limit our initial launch to a certain area. It is important that we launch quasi-simultaneously.”

Nice find solid. Ken does have a great point about the number of playable games at this stage.

The PS3 as a Computer is intriguing but I've always though Ken was way over his head.

Interesting to note how 60GB may not be big enough for some people -
One major concern about this system is the limited hard drive space on the console—merely 20GB to 60GB. Users who want to own several games may find themselves running out of space in the future. “Some users will definitely run out of hard drive space, depending on how they use their console,” said Kutaragi. “Such users will have the option of purchasing larger-capacity hard drives. We may be releasing 120GB drives by next year or the year after that.”
And I've heard people complain that 60GB's on the PS3 is too much!

Want to be a PS3 Game Tester?

Sony Computer Entertainment is looking for people interested in testing PS3 software, "This position entails checking the functionality of software for the PS3, PS2, and PSP, compiling reports, and evaluating content." Requirements are pretty light, between the age of 20-30, ability to work for a year starting July 18, not be a student, and obviously love games. No experience is required and pay ranges from $8 to $12/hour. Interested parties must submit their résumé to SCEJ by July 3.

http://www.scei.co.jp/synthesis/part/part05.html

Nextgen.biz
Force feedback company Immersion has updated Next-Gen.Biz on the status of its litigation with Sony, stating that if the PS3 controller doesn't use Immersion's patented rumble tech, revenues may be affected.

Immersion CEO Vic Viegas said, "If [Sony] eliminated all support for the current rumble technology, then presumably the third parties will not be selling vibration controllers, and it would have an impact on our revenue, although we have a very strong, growing business in our cell phone space, medical simulators, automotive control--we have a number of other business areas that continue to grow."

He made sure to point out that other segments would still be generating revenue for his company. "Gaming has been a relatively stable business, but there could be some, some revenue impact from the PS3['s lack of force feedback]. PS2 would still support [us], and obviously controller sales from Nintendo and Microsoft would still continue to generate revenue for Immersion."

Since the unveiling of the PS3 controller at E3 in May, many have assumed that force feedback is totally out of the question for Sony. However, Viegas indicated that there's still a chance that rumble could be worked into the final controller, if differences are resolved.

"It's not too clear what Sony's position will be on the rumble..." Viegas said. "Obviously, if Sony and Immersion resolve their differences, it would be best for the industry and for the gamers. They could help bring about this change quickly, and we could have this deployed very quick."

The use of force feedback in the PS3 controller is still strictly theoretical, and almost completely up to Sony.

Viegas' comments come in the wake of Immersion's announcement today of its next generation of force feedback called TouchSense. The technology sounds like a significant step up from the current rumble technology, as it will be able to create crisper, more staccato vibrations. A few examples Immersion gave were a "springy sensation of hitting a tennis ball" or the "surge of powering up a light saber, followed by the transition to a subtle hum, then the jolt of clashing with their opponent's light saber." All-in-all, the technology will be more versatile and varied.

Immersion hopes that first and third party controller manufacturers will adopt the technology, although it would take joint cooperation from console manufacturers, game developers and controller suppliers to implement it. Even if third parties had the ability to utilize force feedback in a PS3 controller, there would be no way to implement it from the software end without technical support from Sony.

In a statement regarding TouchSense, the company made sure to note a couple of times that the technology is compatible with motion and tilt-sensing controllers. Of course, Sony has said that it wouldn't use rumble technology in the PS3 controller, because it would interfere with the tilt sensors. However, it's painfully obvious that the choice to forego force feedback has to do with the litigation between Sony and Immersion, not technical difficulties.

Under the terms of the litigation, there's a compulsary license in which Sony pays Immersion royalties each quarter on its games, consoles and controllers sold in the US.

"We continue to want to try to resolve this, and we've had discussions with them in the past about how we could resolve this," Viegas said. "Up until now, those discussions haven't generated any progress, but we're still hopeful that we can bring this new technology into the market, and that we can resolve our differences with Sony."

IGN
Immersion Offers to Rumble PS3
It seems Sony's excuse for leaving the tech out of its new controller is a little shaky.
by Daemon Hatfield

June 19, 2006 - Many were surprised to hear that the PlayStation 3 controller would not support a rumble feature, as it has become an expected part of the modern gaming experience. Both the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii support the technology, meaning Sony's console will be the only next-gen system without a rumble-enabled controller.

Sony's explanation for the feature's absence is that the vibration interferes with new motion-sensing technology being implemented into the controller. But this claim conflicts with news from developer Immersion, who has just finished work on a new vibration effect that can function alongside motion-sensing features.

Says Immersion: "The new TouchSense technology is compatible with motion control and tilt-sensing to allow players to control certain game actions by moving or tilting a handheld controller. Because the speed at which a user moves the controller is much slower than the frequencies generated by TouchSense technology, the two signals can be differentiated using filtering and other techniques. Immersion also offers engineering services to implement the technology within a particular console system."

Don't expect Sony to give Immersion a call anytime soon, however, as the two companies have been entangled in a lawsuit in which Sony was found guilty of patent infringement over the use of rumble in its DualShock controller and was ordered to pay Immersion $90.7 million.

That this litigation is the true cause of Sony's decision to withhold a rumble feature from its new controller has been a popular theory among industry insiders, but it's a claim that has never been substantiated. As of this writing the company could not be reached for comment. What we do know is the PS3 controller could, apparently, include vibration if Sony wanted it to.

Wow I really hope Sony and Immersion finally put all this silly lawsuit stuff to bed and get back to being buddys and make the DS3 a rumble pad and not just a Gyro pad.

Looks like you have the same news but different article I already posted in the controller thread. You should've posted this in there.

slackbladder
Interesting to note how 60GB may not be big enough for some people -

And I've heard people complain that 60GB's on the PS3 is too much!
Well, on my 360, I have almost 15 game saves, 10 demos, 5 game trailers, 50+ songs, etc. But I still have another 8 GB at least to fill up. :indiff:

There should be far more content for the ps3 HDD, like storing media for psp, ps1 games, possibly ps2 games, Full HD movies, Demos and trailers arent things to keep around so you have more space then you think. But also 360 hasnt been out a full year yet and you have 20-30% left.

Also PS3 is capable of being a DVR, a feature that can be added and
you may also record gameplay video. Those things could fill up the HDD for those who who are into it.

LaBounti
But also 360 hasnt been out a full year yet and you have 20-30% left.
Funnily enough, when I got my 360, I deleted all the prepackaged trailers and all, and it said I have 15 GB left, instead of 13 previously. Strange.

Yeah the HD is 20GB but you can't use more that 15 gig of it, that's some software they have on there for it to work to take up 5 gig of memory.

LaBounti
There should be far more content for the ps3 HDD, like storing media for psp, ps1 games, possibly ps2 games, Full HD movies, Demos and trailers arent things to keep around so you have more space then you think. But also 360 hasnt been out a full year yet and you have 20-30% left.

Also PS3 is capable of being a DVR, a feature that can be added and
you may also record gameplay video. Those things could fill up the HDD for those who who are into it.

PS3 is not DVR capable for any source other than the video it displays. There is absolutely no input (video) on the PS3 at all. And I have not seen one TV that is capable of video output from USB, Ethernet, or Wi-Fi, which are the only inputs the PS3 has (disregarding it's memory stick inputs, because that's not possible).

In order for any device to function as a DVR, it must have an input from which to record the data, and the PS3 has no such input. The HDMI and multi-out are one way, output only.

Definitly not out of box. I remember reading it but something like that would not be possible until a system revision and they have confirmed possible system upgrades in the future.

LaBounti
Defenitly not out of box. I remember reading it but something like that would not be possible until a system revision and they have confirmed possible system upgrades in the future.

Trust me, I love Sony to death, great company, but if you're going to say Ken confirmed system upgrades, or even the possibility of such, eh, I'm going to disagree.

Sure he was talking but not about PS3, in my opinion. He has his visions, and he knows how to generate a buzz.

PS2 = The Matrix anyone?

PS2 online anyone?

PS2 a super computer anyone?

PS2 HDD Anyone?

He's the master of talking, but just out of his ass more or less. The PS3 will not see a system revision, nor will it see any upgrades. The closest thing either you or I will ever see to a system revision will be something like the PSX, which did horrible in Japan, and would do Horrible in the US. It's just not going to happen, maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I have my gut feeling on this one.

Solid Lifters
Looks like you have the same news but different article I already posted in the controller thread. You should've posted this in there.

Ohh yeh sorry dude, never mind, some people might have missed the news like I did and read it in this thread instead.

LaBounti
Nice find solid. Ken does have a great point about the number of playable games at this stage.

The PS3 as a Computer is intriguing but I've always though Ken was way over his head.

Noted that already, when he mentioned 120fps gaming i started wishing he'd not represent his self anymore. I did say possible upgrade not definite. A system revison is a given but not for at least 3-4 years, before that will be cheaper components.

Link http://news.spong.com/article/10210?cb=476

Back