Greycap's Greatest Snapshots - Updated 020608 - Mercedes Benz 300SL-C

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 946 comments
Leonidae - Thank you, and about the sidewaysnessless (I think I just invented a new word :P) the stock power wasn't enough to break the traction on S3 tyres which I used for the photo session.

PLmatt91 - Thanks! I haven't had much time lately, life is quite different from the past now.

De@tthwi§ho0 - Thanks, about seeing more... sadly the next update will be my last for quite a long time. I'll give more precise information when the situation asks for it.

Arathorn - Thank you!

sejtur - That's exactly what I'm going to do, don't be sad, I won't be going away completely, just taking a bit more passive role.

Pink_the_Floyd - Sorry, no can do about the angles, I'm a scenery man and shall remain as one. But thanks for leaving a comment anyway!

TVR&Ferrari_Fan - It's not my best, but personally I rated this into the higher end of my updates... oh well, I'm not the right person to give artistic comments. I'll be there.

LGforce - Thanks! Only brightness and contrast on these shots.

viperpilot - What else can I say than thank you?

Will have to take some time to go through the rest of your gallery but I really like what I've seen so far...I've always liked that Ginetta, very photogenic little car! I love your header in post 1 as well, very subtle but very clever and well done! 👍

Nissan~GuruZ33 - Thanks, but the editing was just minimal, brightness and contrast only as I mentioned in the previous post.

Touring Mars - It would be a great honour for me if you did that browsing, and you're probably the third or fourth person that gives feedback about the banner. Thank you! :)

Ah, excellent, Lotus on a tight city circuit, what more could you want?
Well, you know, except maybe a TVR at the Nürburgring!

An unusual opening shot, the car facing away from the camera? Looks more suited to being an end-of-set shot, but perhaps that's a subliminal message... Anyway, it looks nice. Good city skyline in the background, and the row of streetlights makes the track look long and a little daunting. But the little Elise, complete with body lean, fights on into it...

Onto the first thumb, then. Hmm, I like. A good camera angle, taking in the city buildings behind the car very well, and the Armco adds background as well. This photo shows the car is just the right colour for this set - it almost blends in, which makes you think more about it. It looks good facing the camera, but with full right lock on, the headlights give a good focus point. And, of course, sharply focused kerbing at the edge adds to the overall look of the shot. A good one, this.

The second thumb, this seems a bit of an unusual shot for you! Nevertheless, there's still a lot of pretty lights in the background, and the cityscape across the bay. I think the shutter speed, although it seems a bit slow at first glance, is just about right for this shot. Too much clarity would take the eyes away from the car, I think, and with that much body lean it's worth looking at the car! Do I detect the removal of the number plate on the front of the car, by the way? I expected to be able to read it in that shot, but I think it's a bit messy to be an intentional removal :P A nice photo, though.

The third thumb, this one's a classic! The lighting in the background is beautiful, and the sky is visible through the buildings which just adds even more to it. It makes the track seem a little dark by comparison, but to make up for it we get the headlights again, this time not pointing straight at the camera but letting the eyes wander to the scenery. Fast shutter speed worked well here, and the kerbs in the fore and background accent the road well.

The fourth thumb, 'I'm a scenery man, dammit!' :)
Very nicely composed shot. The only problem I have with it is it shows up a very rare flaw in the graphics of GT4, it decides that things in the background such as the boats don't need proper texturing, but for a shot like this they do. Anyway, looking at the car coming out of a turn that far below, it makes the track seem perfectly formed (something Hong Kong could rarely be described as from ground level), and the car looks even smaller than it is. I think this photo could be described as 'humbling'. A very unique shot, and I like it.

The 'end of set' photo... Goes well with its job, it feels like a final photo for a set. Some could say this shot is a little boring by comparison, but I don't think so. We have the rear of the car, perfectly straight and in line to show its details, and all the advertisements and flags in the background. The mass of red lights, however, makes me a little sad to realise that there will be a red light on these galleries soon...

I'm not sure really which my favourite is, probably the third thumb for the brilliant scenery. Another fantastic update, anyway. 👍

DE

One more of these novels... thanks Dark Elite!
Now I think there is a security leak somewhere... :P

Funny that you mentioned the colour of the car, it suits the track very well even though I didn't know where to shoot it when I bought it. I have also never seen an Elise in that colour, which is mainly why I chose it.
Dark Elite
Do I detect the removal of the number plate on the front of the car, by the way? I expected to be able to read it in that shot, but I think it's a bit messy to be an intentional removal
Nope, it's not been removed, it just didn't show well in that picture for some reason.

The third one was, once again, just a "fill shot" for the update. I should have learned by now, but no... the fourth one really shows the bad background graphics but I decided to pay that price to get a good scenery shot.

And the last one was undoubtedly to become the ending shot, although it looks like the car is sitting in the traffic lights, just waiting for them to turn green to be allowed to rocket into the distance.

Thanks PERFECT BALANCE, good to see you after a while!

Attention all Mods, I know that I'm about to do a double post here, actually to ease reading the thread, but I ask you to understand - it'll be the last update in this gallery for a while.

OK, here we go then. My last update before I have to leave. For those who don't know it already, I'm heading for the Finnish army, leaving on Monday the 10th July, for at least six months. Fortunately I won't be there for all the time, I'll get free weekends every now and then so this won't be a complete end for my gallery, just a beginning of a longish break.

In honour of all my British online friends, and especially two of them (you know who you are), just one shot but I hope it'll do:

TVR Griffith 500 '94

Please view it full size, otherwise you'll miss the whole point of the picture.​

It's been a pleasure giving you these shots, I'll be back some day to continue with the same old "Greycap style". And I know, someday never comes, but there is always the exception that makes the rule.

We've come this far, don't stop commenting now! :cheers:

not bad, old buddy, not bad at all. have fun in the army. too bad that they don't have grey caps or clothes there anymore..;) :sly:

Haha I love it Greycap!

And I hope you enjoy your time in the army, come back soon!

*Is lost for words*

The Master has left the building.

The bowing smiley is not sufficient here.
I've nearly got tears in my eyes over here... Not only for your leaving, but for the pure style you manage to do it with.

DE

Leonidae - The best pun of the week! :D Thank you, and I'll do my best there. Keep the flag flying when I'm away.

ultrabeat - Thanks, you will hear me sooner or later. :)

PLmatt91 - And there is even more than the hand... ;)

Dark Elite - No need to cry for me leaving, I'll be back before you even realize. Hey, it's army, not a concentration camp! :lol:

De@tthwi§ho0 - Great to hear, and thanks for the warm wishes. :)

nic_brix - I hope so too, thanks! :)

Yep, this post was overloaded with smilies, but anyway, thanks for everyone this far! This gallery is far from the dead now, it got back from the edge of the cliff a while ago and in fact, I already have plans for a new update when I return. :dopey:

See you and think about this as an inspiration break! Commenting is allowed of course even if I'm not reading them, everyone will be noticed eventually.

Lancia Stratos Rally Car '77 (part I)

Yep, I'm back again and the style hasn't changed! This is just the first part of the Stratos set, the second one is coming tomorrow as ImageShack is playing tricks on me tonight. In the meantime, please comment on this! :cheers:

Placeholder for my review when I get back from my holiday. 👍 :)

At last, the review for the gorgeous Stratos, or at least the first half of it, has arrived! Sorry about the wait :guilty:

The first shot, this is a very good-looking opener! What strikes me most is the very vivid colouring of this photo, it's very bright and brings a 'happy' sort of mood to the shot. It looks like the car is going down an ever-steepening hill here, but still the car is perfectly planted and straight. This brings out the yellow wheels of the Stratos rallycar, something I've always loved. The wall is blurred just to the right extent to give a good feeling of speed, finishing off the great composition of this photo.

On to the first thumb, then. The car here is sort of framed by the archway and sort of not, this gives two focus points - a good thing, and again the walls are blurred slightly to bring the eye back to the car. Again, vivid colours, but not so bright this time. This shot shows up another thing about the Stratos, it's odd half-moon brake lights. I like this shot, because it gets scenery (sort of) into a portrait format, which is unusual. Is that really the fastest driving line? :P

The second thumb surprises me a little, this is perhaps out of the usual Greycap style - there's nothing it in but the car and the road! But I like it anyway because it shows my lovely yellow wheels, and again with very crisp colours. This shot also shows up a bit of a graphical laziness, the barcode-looking lettering instead of an actual driver name. The slightly-too-slow shutter speed is a must here, it gives the impression of a cameraman trying desperately to keep up with the car and not quite managing it. Very good.

Aha, the third thumbnail quickly compensates for the lack of scenery in it's predecessor! There are a lot of focus points here - the very green tree line, the tall tower reaching into the blue skies, the spectators and of course the car, as well as the tiny gap through which it must fit. The car somehow looks brighter and clearer than everything around it, which (to me at least) gives the impression it's brightening the Italians roads itself. Very nice. This one would look good on a postcard!

The last photo is, as always, a well-chosen ending. The eyes are constantly drawn back to the car, which is looking low, fast and perhaps a little aggressive here. Something I like about the car in this photo is how clear the engine vent slats are - from red and green to black, and the unusual Stratos wing-type panel over the cockpit roof. While the wheelarches give the car muscles, these parts give it finesse. I also like the inclusion of the Pirelli banner, of course ;)

Overall, a gorgeous update, without a single photo I don't like. The car has been done full justice here, and that is saying something!
My favourite shot is the first one, so much so that it is now my new desktop background. Excellent work! 👍

Part II soon...

DE

Thanks ultrabeat and DE, if I were you, I would think twice about writing a full review because here we have...

Lancia Stratos Rally Car '77 (part II)

Now the update is complete, please give your opinion and I'll be sure to read them and reply when I come back again, on Friday the 11th August. :cheers:

Yes very nice angles, and colors...interesting car too 👍 If you get a chance, come check out my latest posts in my gallery and let me know what you think about them!

Great angles on the Lancia Bud. 👍
I also enjoy the pics how their nice n clean and perfect like spot on you know what I'm saying.

BTW: For the Lancia. FORZA ITALIA :sly:

PLmatt91 - Thank you, I'll do my best!

Dead_Poetic - Thanks, been there done that. :)

FaLLeNAn9eL - The scenery man strikes again! And thanks, I will.

DLRgian - Thank you! No need to say any more. :P

nic_brix - Thanks, and nope, it wasn't influenced by your post as I had never seen it before clicking the link. Just a coincidence! :)

W00t you're back! :)

Very nice pics man still, you havent lost your touch. I love the third thumb, I like that you can look far.

I got some new shots too, so check out my gallery again. ;)

Back