Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm a first time poster, and I was looking through this topic when I spotted a beautiful Blue Mica TRD Celica and decided that I had to try this baby out. I also became intrigued when I spotted a Stage 3 Turbo kit in the parts list.

Anyways, after buying and testing this car, it has become my favorite FWD car in my entire garage. Seriously, it doesn't have the horrendous understeer; instead, its replaced with some controllable oversteer. The ride was soft enough to handle everything the Nurburgring threw at it, but still it took corners incredibly well. The suspension, IMO, is pretty much perfect for my driving style. I couldn't think of anyway to improve the settings. Its that good.

There is a bit of lag, but that's to be expected with a Stage 3 Turbo. Perhaps some more transmission work is needed to overcome this. However, when the boost comes on, it REALLY comes on. I was mowing through the gears when it was WOT.

I've tested this car for over 75 miles on the Nurburgring and have managed a 7:29:xxx as my personal best. Incredible car, especially since its FWD.

Well, Kurei, it seems that you're on roll again. keep it going, and dust off those rusty old tunes of ours and dig out every skeleton from their trunk/boot..

ABT Le Mans Quattro Review

I've previously driven around and messed with the concept myself some time back, but it always had a issue with understeer, probably related to its weight balance, being a Rear engine 4WD, all the weight is in the back, when it needs to be in the front to maintain pressure on the tires

Then MFT put out a tune of the car themselves, so maybe they fixed that issue, no other way to find out other than test it. Off to Midfield raceway, with plenty of area's to test acceleration, braking, cornering, etc, i got onto the track, went through the tunnel, and started entering that long S-curve going uphill that leads to the main straight, i take the left, and the car shows impressive line following as for a few seconds, it feels like the car is riding on rails, i straighten out, enter the second half of the corner, expect some more rail riding, but instead get a little of that "skir-skir-skiriiii-skir" you always hear when topping a hill as the front tires loose grip momentarily, straighten out and get onto the straight

This car's acceleration is fantastic, it pulls hard throught the first 5 gears, and kinda level's off in 6th, but its still no push-over in that gear, the engine also roars nicely, but you also need to have the stoping power, which this car has covered, hit the brakes, and the car hunkers down, slowing down as you feel the threshold of the tires being reached

I went throught the rest of the course, corners and all, finding that this tune has a sweet spot where traction in the front is great, but go over or under that and the front likes to slide out a bit, i think the car just has an issue with weight distribution, if that could be fixed it'd be an excellent exotic in GT4, something that we all know is rare

Edit* forgot to give a base score, 8/10

Up next is the Audi Quattro StraBe:tup:

Well, Kurei, it seems that you're on roll again. keep it going, and dust off those rusty old tunes of ours and dig out every skeleton from their trunk/boot..

their brakes are already getting rusty..,

Expect reviews of the MFT Z-486, the Mazda FD-R and Tom's R600 Chaser some time soon guys. I'm feeling generous ;)
PS- I got an idea just now that I'll devulge a little more later on.

Audi Quattro StraBe '82 Review

Before i built the car, like a couple of my last reviews, i decided to test the stock version first, on correct tires (N2 or 3's, etc) at whatever course i would test the tuned version, just to give myself a base for the car's i haven't driven much before

I took the Audi out to El captian on N2's, they seemed the most correct considering the age of the car, and what quality tires where then, and like the little note on the bottom of the tune, this car has understeer characteristics, but its not all understeer, some of it is steering angle, this car's ratio is really off, i had to turn my wheel a good quarter before the tires would respond, but other than that, its a good car in stock form

Then i tuned it up according to MFT spec, and went out again, with much better handling, acceleration was strong and smooth, braking was alright, and the steering now, was excellent, with just a slight movement being able to adjust the wheels, very precise too, no slack, you turn it goes, very nice guys 👍

Im going to say 9/10, a great classic improved to today's possibilities

Next i too will be giving a review on your guy's MFT Z-486

I think it's finally time to respond to these...

Kurei - Nissan R390/870GT - Another long one, and a good one. 👍 Twitchy is the correct word for that car, you surely don't want the car to be the one in control or you're in deep trouble. Something about the sheer speed of it tells the fact that, if I remember correctly, the GT-One race car was just about a second faster. Quite scary for a road car, no matter if tuned of not. It's a simple and effective tool for the ones who don't need any fancy characteristics, it was made only to be wickedly fast and it does just that.

Jim3142 - Great, a new visitor! You've picked a good one, the Celica is often overlooked but indeed one of the best FWD cars in the game. The tune is rare as I don't usually use R class tyres on front wheel drivers but it was an attempt to make it a true race vehicle and the result was quite satisfactory. Welcome aboard, is there a car you happen to need? :)

Kurei - ABT Le Mans Quattro - He's here again! The concept Audi was a tough one to get even remotely right, it's indeed the weight distribution that kills the potential just like in every other mid-engined AWD. Or maybe I was just expecting too much, it seems the car isn't half as bad as I judged it myself. Toying with the ballast might actually help, it's a heavy barge for its size anyway so some extra weight doesn't hurt too much.

Kurei - Audi Quattro Straße - Heh, the German double-S fooled another one. :P But to the subject then. The main point was to get rid of the unresponsiveness and while I couldn't manage it completely the old shoebox is a lot more drivable now and actually fun.

Don't you really want a car from me too or are you sparing the models until you run out of reviews (probably going to happen in April)? ;)

Expect reviews of the MFT Z-486, the Mazda FD-R and Tom's R600 Chaser some time soon guys. I'm feeling generous ;)
PS- I got an idea just now that I'll devulge a little more later on.

I'm very grateful that you're willing to dig up those two old shoe boxes of mine.

I'm very grateful that you're willing to dig up those two old shoe boxes of mine.

I got sick of hearing about the FDs :mad: so I found a race tuned one to drive as I've never driven them around a track before- ever. Except for a standard one which I only drove to show a different car was better :lol: To be honest, as a man who dislikes rotaries that's a feat I'm pround of- now I'm out to see what's so great about them. For the Z-486, I was shocked to see the lap time on such small horsepower- so I had to try that one. And the R600, well I'm Australian and it's a big sedan sooo.........:sly:

I got sick of hearing about the FDs :mad: so I found a race tuned one to drive as I've never driven them around a track before- ever. Except for a standard one which I only drove to show a different car was better :lol: To be honest, as a man who dislikes rotaries that's a feat I'm pround of- now I'm out to see what's so great about them. For the Z-486, I was shocked to see the lap time on such small horsepower- so I had to try that one. And the R600, well I'm Australian and it's a big sedan sooo.........:sly:

Take a peek at the torque figure, and all your questions will be resolved... that thing is a torque PIG!

I think I'll take a Honda Integra Type R '04 (DC5). Power should hover around 20 horses north/south of 300, weight stage reduction of 2 or more, no ballast, and R3 tires are to be used. I don't want excessive wheelspin/understeer, just something to rival the Celica in my garage :)

Don't you really want a car from me too or are you sparing the models until you run out of reviews (probably going to happen in April)? ;)

Yes and no, its a little bit of both, I've just had an urge to drive again, and I know I have racked up quite a few reviews for you guys, so I could get a bunch of tunes from you two if I wanted, but the problem is I haven't really found anything inspiring, the latest idea I asked Leo to build, but when the next one hits me I'll ask you to build it, it'll be interesting to see how you go about it

Who knows, maybe im just racking up points so i can drive you two crazy with tune demands some weekend :P

MFT Z-486 SC Review
There's something eery about the way this car moves, shocking even. The amount of grip this car displays is just unbelievable. It's a great tune on a great car, great+great=excellent. The car just turns at your command all the time- unbelievable. The car also has good turn in, it's hard to pick on something with this car- wow. I wondered if it was a BS car as Zs from reviews I've read are normally a bit tricky and hard to control. Fast but twitchy. This never even showed signs of being twitchy before your tune. Indeed untuned and no downforce this was already an awesome car. Mabe if anything there is I can pick on, it could use a little more turn-in for some corners- just a suggestion. Otherwise well done 👍

Tom's R600 Chaser Review
This is another good car, but this time I have something to pick on. First of all the turn in is good, and the car is supremely balanced through corners and has grip til tomorrow and that's saying something considering the default setting's wheelspin. The gearing is still too short. I hit the outermost limiter just a fraction before braking at the hairpin at GVS. I actually peaked out, so I think the gearing should be a little wider, and to compliment that wider gearing, get a computer chip and/or RC Intercooler. It's quite obvious the car can take more power under its wing and not have its handling changed much. At least get the Computer Chip. It's strange that it doesn't get better lap times, WPR and handling and strong brakes would suggest a 1'43-1'44 lap time but alas it doesn't happen. Get more power and make the gears wider. Maybe a rear toe value I thought but if it had more power rear toe wouldn't help. Go for gold. 👍

That's all from me today, I couldn't get my hands on a Bathurst Type R yet and now I'm out of time today. Hopefully in 2 days time (tomorrow is kind of busy for me- but you never know)

MFT Z-486 SC Review
There's something eery about the way this car moves, shocking even. The amount of grip this car displays is just unbelievable. It's a great tune on a great car, great+great=excellent. The car just turns at your command all the time- unbelievable. The car also has good turn in, it's hard to pick on something with this car- wow. I wondered if it was a BS car as Zs from reviews I've read are normally a bit tricky and hard to control. Fast but twitchy. This never even showed signs of being twitchy before your tune. Indeed untuned and no downforce this was already an awesome car. Mabe if anything there is I can pick on, it could use a little more turn-in for some corners- just a suggestion. Otherwise well done 👍

:sly: I had a hunch that you would be impressed by this car. Another car with very similar handling but less power is the X-Fire. I believe that those massive wheels these cars are rolling on have something to do with it. I'm not sure if I want to improve the turn in, since that could very well compromise the traction the car has despite the immense amount of torque. Few times I won races without using more than 4th, 5th and 6th gear.:dopey:

The turn-in's fine really. It runs a little wide only if you aren't driving the car properly anyway. The FD-R is next, but don't know when.

Jim3142 - Will do. 👍

Kurei - You know, that latter scenario is just what I'm fearing. :P

nd 4 holden spd - The R600 finally got dusted! The gearing is short and I know it, as I've said before the main straight (and the section leading onto it) of GVS is one of the longest full throttle sections in the game and if the gearing works there, it works just about everywhere excluding Sarthe and Nürburgring. The power figure was selected as I wanted to make it a round figure for the designation and as a result I got a rev-happy engine that needs short(ish) gears to work at its best power range. But it's good to know that the handling is OK. I don't know why it doesn't perform better than that, perhaps the boxy body shape is taking its toll or the size of the car simply holds it back in tight corners. Or it's just a plain bad car. :lol:

MFT Z-486 SC Review

Built and tuned the car, then headed out to GVS for the first test, and it drove great, Globs of traction everywhere, braking was very strong and it accelerated just fine, basically no faults at GVS, it drove just like the JGTC 350Z

Then I took it to Trial mountain to see if I could find a weakness in the car, 4 laps later, and it was still a car I couldn't find a weakness in :odd:, I started to question if it was perfect or what

So then it was off to a much tighter course, Autumn Ring Mini, something I hadn't tried yet, I figured something would show up here...

Nothing !, in fact I think it griped better here if anything :irked:

So then I said "That's it, Tsukuba Wet will find something", I know you two don't really use it that much, but it is the ultimate traction test for any car, if this car held tight here, i'd stop and call it complete.

5 laps later, despite less traction and a slight tendency to power-out of corners due to the rain, the car still held tight as hell in all the corners under different loads, so I gave up

Its a 10/10, no doubt, perfect practice car for anyone looking to go highly professional w/o spending a crazy amount of money to do it, the only thing really wrong with it is the dull looks, but that's out of MFT's hands

Edit* Opera S2000 review is next, and then im not sure what, im considering putting in an application as Jugde for the Tuner Challenge, and i need to make time for that if i do

nd 4 holden spd - The R600 finally got dusted! The gearing is short and I know it, as I've said before the main straight (and the section leading onto it) of GVS is one of the longest full throttle sections in the game and if the gearing works there, it works just about everywhere excluding Sarthe and Nürburgring. The power figure was selected as I wanted to make it a round figure for the designation and as a result I got a rev-happy engine that needs short(ish) gears to work at its best power range. But it's good to know that the handling is OK. I don't know why it doesn't perform better than that, perhaps the boxy body shape is taking its toll or the size of the car simply holds it back in tight corners. Or it's just a plain bad car. :lol:

I think it might be the acceleartion holding it back. I thought you guys were the Mad Finn Tuners. Since when do those numbers ever play a part in making a better car? :sly:

MFT Z-486 SC Review

Built and tuned the car, then headed out to GVS for the first test, and it drove great, Globs of traction everywhere, braking was very strong and it accelerated just fine, basically no faults at GVS, it drove just like the JGTC 350Z

Then I took it to Trial mountain to see if I could find a weakness in the car, 4 laps later, and it was still a car I couldn't find a weakness in :odd:, I started to question if it was perfect or what

So then it was off to a much tighter course, Autumn Ring Mini, something I hadn't tried yet, I figured something would show up here...

Nothing !, in fact I think it griped better here if anything :irked:

So then I said "That's it, Tsukuba Wet will find something", I know you two don't really use it that much, but it is the ultimate traction test for any car, if this car held tight here, i'd stop and call it complete.

5 laps later, despite less traction and a slight tendency to power-out of corners due to the rain, the car still held tight as hell in all the corners under different loads, so I gave up

Its a 10/10, no doubt, perfect practice car for anyone looking to go highly professional w/o spending a crazy amount of money to do it, the only thing really wrong with it is the dull looks, but that's out of MFT's hands

Edit* Opera S2000 review is next, and then im not sure what, im considering putting in an application as Jugde for the Tuner Challenge, and i need to make time for that if i do

W00t! I think that was nearly first 10/10 from you!

Mazdaspeed MX-5 Spirit RS '04

301 bhp, 297 Nm, 950 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Displacement Increase
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
N3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Increase (rollcage)
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 5.0 / 4.5
Ride Height: 105 / 115
Bound: 4 / 4
Rebound: 6 / 8
Camber: 2.0 / 2.0
Toe: 0 / -1
Stabilizers: 3 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 8

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.901
2nd: 2.040
3rd: 1.600
4th: 1.308
5th: 1.095
6th: 0.938
Final Gear: 3.700

Autoset 10

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 25
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

They always tell you the MX-5/Miata/Eunos Roadster is a great car for the beginners. Well, true, but only up to the point in which it's relatively close to stock. This Mazdaspeed version was made to show that every felix domesticus has that lion inside it and that the lion is ready to strike. The nature of the car is entertaining but unforgiving, the tail is only looking for a chance to step out of the line and as soon as you give it the chance... you get the idea. It'll drift, it'll slide, it'll do anything but grip under throttle. Learn to master it and you have one very funny car. To counter the tailhappiness the decelerating behaviour is very stable, if you're going to lose it just lift off and stomp on the brakes and it'll straighten out. Treat it with respect and it'll give you a good time.

Reviews:

by DuoMaxwell
by EA11R
by Kurei

Last edited:
Opera S2000 AJH-Edition'04 Review

The Opera S2K is one of my more favorite ones in the game, and to read that MFT has improved it even further, is interesting, so I built it to spec and decided to have the test at Laguna Seca

I go through the first couple of corners, heading towards the uphill section, and I notice that this car has excellent turn-in, combine that with the power MFT gave it and the light-weight, and this car becomes a cornering monster, really pushing the g-force up there

After completing that section and exiting the "cork-screw corner", I continue through the rest of the course, and I've noticed that when you approach the limit of this car, keyword being approach and not reach, the car has a slight tendency to suddenly understeer just enough to set you off your line, but not enough to really kill your speed, other than that this car is pretty good at all speeds

Im going to say 9.8/10, a few slight problems close to the limit, but overall a great car

I may get a chance to test that MX-5, no word yet on my Judge's application so im still free for now

Not to poach in on MFT's business, but I doubt Grey or Leo would mind since both of them have several cars entered...

Kurei, if you want to judge something, the Vintage Tuner Cup in the Tuner Garages thread is desperately in need of judges - we only have two sets of judgings so far, one each in two of the categories, and none at all in the third. If you want, take a peek at the links in my sig, they contain all you need to know.

^That Miata looks tasty, and it's a few things I very much like to see here - a Miata, a driftable FR, something with low-grade tires(relative to the capabilities of the car, like your Audi Le Mans), and a car with actual speed on N3's. It seems absolutely lovely, but I can't test much of anything soon. But I will, probably some time next week, build that Miata and see what's what. Actually, there are quite a few cars of yours that I want to get around to testing:

Drifty FD RX-7 (which I condemned after testing with DS2)
The pair of Hondas
Toyota Starlet
R32 Skyline
Chrysler Crossfire
Impreza sedan
old Mustang
Peugoet 206

I certainly won't do them all, but they all seem like there's fun to be had. For your benefit, I'll probably test the less-tested cars of that list before the popular ones. And actually, I hate Crossfires (Mercedes-Benzes, minus style and power), but Leonidae's comment on it's handling being similar to he 350Z's suddenly makes it more appealing. Not to mention, it's so, very old and I'm slightly curious to see if it's much different than the recent tunes from you guys.

I wonder if this car has a partner, made by Leo, or if it's a lone car?

EDIT: Also, while they're not strictly MFT tunes, Leo's Spoon Civic of the Spoon Civic thread, and his AE86 of the tuner garages thread seem fun-to-drive as well. Also, slightly funny, since there are genuine MFT cars nearly identical to them in this thread. Come to think of it, it probably looks like I'm developing a slight bias towards Leonidae's cars. Not to worry, 'tis mere coincidence.

Actually, perhaps a possible partner for the Miata of Greycap would be a tire-downgraded version of his AE86: both are small, FR, low-power, lightweight, commonly associated with drifting... That said, I've not made an accurate prediction yet. And, try as I might, I can't seem to use reverse psychology on the universe. Oh well...

I wonder if this car has a partner, made by Leo, or if it's a lone car?
If you mean the partner of the Crossfire it was the Nissan 240RS made by me but the handling characteristics are pretty far from each other. The said characteristics also portray our driving styles quite well, he makes idiotproof cars that grip like nothing else, I make tricky cars that need a good throwing to get the most out of them. The odd thing is that they're usually pretty even regardless of this.

Hmmm... That was a formatting catastrophe on my part. I was wondering whether or not your Miata had a partner from Leo, or whether it was flying solo, as some cars here do. I'm really hoping there will be a partner, because driftable setups are everywhere, but the little MFT fanboy in me loves to see them here (or make them [badly] myself).

I will post the pair of the Miata today, a 120i that was set up on Nurb. It was originally planned as my entry to TCv3, but the change in tire classs and track forced me to modify it with heavy hand, thus, they will be two setups for this car.. the one for Citta and S3's, and the one for Nurb on N3's

oh yeah, Grey, I don't know if you've received a PM from VTiRoj or not, but the gearbox of the Miata has a glitch, just like you doubted. :ouch:

From Kurei

Opera S2000 AJH-Edition'04 Review

The Opera S2K is one of my more favorite ones in the game, and to read that MFT has improved it even further, is interesting, so I built it to spec and decided to have the test at Laguna Seca

I go through the first couple of corners, heading towards the uphill section, and I notice that this car has excellent turn-in, combine that with the power MFT gave it and the light-weight, and this car becomes a cornering monster, really pushing the g-force up there

After completing that section and exiting the "cork-screw corner", I continue through the rest of the course, and I've noticed that when you approach the limit of this car, keyword being approach and not reach, the car has a slight tendency to suddenly understeer just enough to set you off your line, but not enough to really kill your speed, other than that this car is pretty good at all speeds

Im going to say 9.8/10, a few slight problems close to the limit, but overall a great car

I may get a chance to test that MX-5, no word yet on my Judge's application so im still free for now

Hmm.. So, that slight understeer held back another .2 points from you, eh? damn.. but then again, if it wouldn't understeer, you wouldn't know when you're being a bit of a tool, and you'd suddenly be flipped at guardrail at 180mph+.. oh well, choices, choices.. I think I'll leave it as it is, and leave the psychotic chainsaw swinging mass murderers to Grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back