Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh yeah, Grey, I don't know if you've received a PM from VTiRoj or not, but the gearbox of the Miata has a glitch, just like you doubted. :ouch:
No PM but the problem has been solved and the setup sheet updated. There wasn't actually a glitch in the gearbox though, it was a brain fart from me.

The car has NA3 instead of Stage 2 Turbo I had listed. :ouch:

I really have no idea where that turbo crept from, the car never had a turbo during the tuning. Well, weird things happen.

BMW 120i M-Sport S'04

294 bhp, 361 Nm, 1134 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
N3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Increase (rollcage)
Oil Change
Rear Wing
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 5.0 / 3.5
Ride Height: 120 / 150
Bound: 4 / 2
Rebound: 10 / 6
Camber: 2.0 / 1.5
Toe: 0 / -1
Stabilizers: 3 / 2

Brake Controller
Brakes: 2 / 10

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.064
2nd: 2.131
3rd: 1.646
4th: 1.330
5th: 1.083
6th: 0.906
Final Gear: 3.380

Autoset 12

LSD
Initial: 20
Acceleration: 20
Deceleration: 5

Downforce
Amount: 13 / 18

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Whenever you see a BMW with an M-Sport badge, you know that this particular car has gone through tight scrutiny under evil German engineers in the Green Hell. That is the case with this baby bimmer too. Meet the latest addition to the M-Sport family, the BMW 120i M-Sport S. This little car was designed to blast onwards at speeds of 260km/h+ on German Autobahns, the unlimited heaven of any sportscar, and rip around the notorious Nürburgring under 8 minutes. But that is not all..

The car's suspension is M-Sport race specification stuff. Inside the car, an integrated rollcage keeps things in shape and safe even in the hardest collisions. The drivetrain and the engine have been updated to highest specifications, resulting as nearly 300 freely breathing horses. In Addition, this car is one of the first test mules for the future 1-series models, and as such, this car has been modified from a practical 5-door model to a 3-door hot hatch, thus creating a stiffer body that is ideal for high performance applications such as this. In addition, the car has an M-Sport aero package and everything possible is made of lightweight materials. It might not be the fastest M around, but it's probably the most entertaining hot hatch in it's segment. Prepare to feel the power of the Mini-M!

To quote Clarkson...

My, that's an expensive car... he must be mad!

But seriously, should be a fun drive! LOVE the gold as well.

<edit> if that's gold... I think perhaps it's the red filter on a silver car :ouch:

Well, the sale screen said Quarzblau.. But the sunlight gave it a nice gold shade and when I took the pic, I made it a bit warmer looking. But now that you're admiring the picture, can you spot the mods?

What's the fun in that if I tell all those multiple things that have been done? You found one of them already, keep going..

Mazdaspeed MX-5 Spirit RS '04 Review

Decided to give this a run before I got too busy, and what a refreshing car :D

Built it, tuned it to spec, and brought it out to Suzuka West for the test, started out on the course and found the car almost had an "floaty" ride to it, very 'light on its feet', in a sense.

After passing under that Dunlop tire arc "thingy", entering the series of 90' corners, I found the car to be really easy to drift, only needing a slight weight transfer and a heavy right foot at the proper angle

But once I got out in the more wide corners, I started to find the car is a little slippery at high speeds, kind of killing the mood when your relaxed, but other that, an interesting little play toy, 8/10

The GTO will be next, when though all depends on if/when i get a pm back from Kent :indiff:

You've added BMW's customary M badges to the fenders.

Also, GT4's wing looks awesome on this car! I love the thin rods attatched to the bottom of the window!

Are we through most of them? I'm fairly sure the NSX LM Proto wheels are unaltered unless you shaded them...

hrm... I feel like I'm playing "Where's Waldo" :sly:

The tyres are perfectly normal in the game, as they're N-tyres which have tread like that. But yes, the badges, door, custom reg plates are correct. there's one or two more little things that aren't easy to notice unless you've seen the original pictures.

Weight. Leo hates weight.

And the 120i will accelerate quicker at lower speeds because it's more willing to rev.

Yeah, I just looked at the numbers, and even though the deisel has a 10 bhp advantage and 100 more torques (:eek:), it's also got 115 more kilograms, and that's just too much. Though, the 120i is hardly a lightweight as it is, and it's still fairly underpowered. Instead of trying to match the Miata with a different type of car, he should've just gone for a different style altogether.

But, I'm sure the tune is good! Not to mention, the subtleties of the photoshop are killing our collective OCD.

EDIT: Once again, I'm slightly confused. The slightly weaker, much heavier car is faster. I'd like to say that, again, it's a case of superior base car, but it's a 5-door (im)practical hatchback versus a 2-seater barchetta born to be a sportscar. Must be the (WRC standard, it seems) downforce.

Weight is bad anywhere else than in an FF car, that actually needs some weihgt to get somewhere. And indeed it seems to be faster. It could be the downforce alone, or the fact that the cars engine is more of obedient torque producing worker, than rev happy party machine.

Kurei - Thanks for that! The driftiness isn't a setup thing, it's natural behaviour for the car... as is the slipperiness at high speeds. It can't be taken out without either adding a wing or killing the balance at lower speeds so I decided to keep it. The car can be driven around Nürburgring in full attack mode without too big trouble so it's probably good enough.

EA11R - Actually it was me who tried to match the BMW (it was ready first) with the MX-5, but my approach was to match only the lap times with an entirely different car, that's why I had the zero downforce to counter the lower weight and more power to counter the lower torque.

The speed difference between the cars is all about the downforce. When the Mazda had a wing it was approaching low 2'06 and when the BMW didn't it was hard to push it below 2'09 so they're quite even.

Pontiac GTO '04 "Sundowner" Review

The car had a nice glow to it in the pictures, so it caught my attention, and then I saw the HP numbers, so I wanted to test it and see how fast it is

Built it, tuned it, and went to the full Suzuka course, American Car, Japanese Track, and Finnish tuning, kind of ironic really :lol:, but what better test for an American muscle ?

I go through the chicane, get on the straight away, and this car is flying, so fast I actually had to re-think my braking point a few times before I reached the first corner due to the increase in speed, once I started braking though the speed dropped quickly, and the car stayed put in line, no un-wanted front or rear movement

Complete that corner and start reaching all the continous S-curves, left, right, sharper left, sharper right, and front traction starts fading, no understeer though, but the grip feels like its less than before, having to turn in a bit more than before, it's there, but its not as supplementary as I'd like

Go through the rest of the course, strong brakes, quick acceleration, moderate front traction, etc, and the car is alright, not bad for an American muscle which usually can't handle corners without some help from various settings, im going to say 7.8/10

The Wolf R32 is next, then I don't know what

I finally have the Bathurst Type R to review the FD-R fellas, so pretty soon I shall build it then drive it. Tiny engine and all. :sly:

Edit: Just building the FD-R here and I see a couple things that need answering. First, is there no rigidity refresher? Seems a bit odd. Secondly I want to give you a heads up, I've got 30hp less than you ever got. And my car only has
18 000km on it. Was yours a 10km special?

Edit 2: Mazda FD-R Pay-out Review
Note: I tested without rigidity refresh, please tell me if it needs it and I shall retest
I'll start by describing the default setting's characteristics. The car had no idea what it was doing, at low speed corners it had copious amounts of oversteer and wheelspin with good turn in. Medium to high speed corners brought out loads of understeer, and the car was generally a dog to drive. The top speed was also limited.
Once your tune was applied not much changed I'm sorry. Everything was sub-dued and you just made a faster version of the default tune. The car still had oversteer at low speed corners and wheelspin was pretty much gone, but still showed up when pushing too hard. Through meduim to high speed sweepers only now, the car has got understeer but no where near as bad as the stock version, but still there. At high speed corners the car is extremely twitchy and while turn in is good for low speed approaches the car becomes similar to trying to juggle 5 balls at once at high speed braking approaches, very difficult. The car is likely to veer of at the slightest touch of the wheel at high speeds under brakes, which made entry to the first corner at GVS very difficult. Despite all this though and having 30hp less than you I'm managing faster times :confused: I recommend a revision of this car, I still hate it and so you haven't shown me yet why rotaries are so good other than PWR, which is the only reason I suspect this car is so fast- acceleration. Then there was this other big problem I was getting while driving it too, I had a sound coming from the engine- dunno what it was. It sounded like Buzzzzzzzzzzz *change gears* Buzzzzzzzzzzz :lol: I'm sorry, I don't like this car, maybe with different handling it might be OK, but not like this. Now would you believe me if I said I have a car that does low 1'45 times at GVS all day long with just 353hp?

The car used was 6.2-miler, so yeah, you need either chassis refresh or wait for the low mileage one.. I believe it's available in the Oz version.

Funny thing is, this car is able to compete near directly with the Corvette I made. and if you think that it's twitchy and oversteery now, I'm happy that you didn't test v1.5 :crazy: that was Spirra level madness..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back