Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
N 60º 53' 27.13", E 26º 43' 22.46"... well, its not THAT far north. :lol:

The Lancer is one of our forgotten warriors, it's good to hear that it's getting back on the track. 👍

good news, the review for the CN9A will be here by about later tonight or early in the morning.., sorry for the long delay.., again, the Spoon Civic eats up most of that delay.., and later i will got to a friend's birthday party..,

I just tested the drift duo, and was quite pleasantly suprised with their characteristics.

BMW 120i M-Sport S vs. Mazdaspeed MX-5 Spirit RS

Leonidae's 120i seemed doubtful on paper. It just seemed that a modern, heavy chassis with fairly grippy N3 tyres and a mere 300hp wouldn't slide the way it should. Luckily, I was wrong. Leonidae remarked recently that the 120i is a relaxing drive, which worried me. But, somehow, this car does make drifting a relatively mellow experience. Don't be mistaken, this car doesn't fly through corners at psychotic angles with D1-esque tire smoke; it prefers a more civilized, low-angle drift reminiscent of Initial D. In low-speed turns, excessive wheelspin (in fact, nearly any wheelspin) is no problem at all, and the throttle must be modulated only for the sake of tracing the proper path. Steering responses are forgiving and precise, and little to no flailing about the steering wheel is required, even in those pesky S-turns, which I still can't drift through well with any car but this. Braking understeer is minimal, but present. But, the brakes are somehow still forward enough to cause oversteer when braking sideways through a decreasing-radius corner, and the balancing act between these two extremes is impressive and rewarding. The downforce is perfect on the car, causing no unnatural behaviour in the car's motion, and only subtly stabilizing the car as speed rises. The effect is that, if driven vigorously enough, it will drift quite well at high speed, but be just stable enough to make its way through a high-speed S-turn coherently. However, the transmission ratios are slightly too high for the mechanical ability of the car, and I don't really see the point of an essentially arbitrary sixth gear. However, I love the first gear (flooring throttle results in revs stabilizing about 1000RPM under rev limiter until wheelspin stops a fraction of a second later), so just shortening some of the higher gears would seem to do the trick. Other than the gearbox issue, though, I've really got nothing to complain about in this relaxing yet capable tail-out machine.

The long gearing is due the fact that it was tuned on Nurburgring and FOR Nurburgring, since back then there were rumours that there would be unlimited class on N3's, and the track would be Nurb, where traction was (and occasionally still is :scared: ) an issue.. Oh well, it did lead to the creation of this little baby Bimmer. I really liked it how it came out in the end.

~~~~

In the end, the difference between the two cars mirrors the difference between Leonidae and Greycap. Leo's car sacrifices ultimate ability in favour of ease-of-use, and Grey's car slightly ignores controllablity in favour of the highest ability (when driven perfectly) imaginable. This much was very perdictable. What I didn't expect was that the 120i would be as capable as it is, or that the Miata would be as controllable as it is. I'm very impressed with both tunes, and I can only pick out a single flaw in either of them: Leo's transmission is slightly too long, and Grey's car is slightly too difficult at high-speed esses.

Thus, I shall give each car a shining 9.75/10!

I love it! If you want to make any more, by all means, go insane. For a tuning duo who once vowed never to make a single drifter, your specialized creations go sideways astonishingly well.

:lol: We keep running to that exactly same diagnosis of our cars and tuning styles everywhere again and again.. I guess it is true then.💡

Well, my creation actually wasn't a drift car, but extremely nimble Nurb tourer. it tops out around 260km/h @ main straight of the Nurb, without hitting the limiter. You should give it a run there, it gave me most enjoyable laps around Nurb ever.

Picc, the Trueno appears in the late 90's used car lot pretty often.

^It's not supposed to be a drifter? Well, I guess that explains why there wasn't any high-angle, smokescreen malarchy like many drift cars. That said, there's no reason that car shouldn't be used like that; It works brilliantly.

EA11R (part I) - The GVS time for the Galant was totally out of question, partly because the setup doesn't work on tarmac at all and partly because the run would have necessitated road tyres. And it wouldn't have been fair to the car by any means.

Kurei - The request reserve keeps growing... :nervous: but thanks for trying out the big cat! The oversteer available on throttle is indeed a pleasant thing and one of the biggest contributors in making it something other than a hopeless clunk of metal.

EA11R (part II) - Thanks for the twin review! The MX-5 is indeed more than a bit tricky at high speeds but skilled steering work can take out most of the problem. Not all but most. And believe it or not, this car wasn't meant to be a drifter either... it's pretty much impossible to make a powerful non-winged MX-5 on those tyres that doesn't hang the tail out. It's an attempt to get the last bit of speed out of it and the setup just happens to be perfectly driftable. :P

Toyota Celica GT4 RC Gr.A'91

331 bhp, 403 Nm, 1241 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbo Kit Stage 1
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
FC Suspension
Dirt / Snow Tyres
Variable Centre Differential
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Increase (rollcage)
Rigidity Refresh
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 7.0 / 5.0
Ride Height: 140 / 160
Bound: 2 / 2
Rebound: 10 / 10
Camber: 2.0 / 1.5
Toe: 0 / 1
Stabilizers: 1 / 5

Brake Controller
Brakes: 2 / 15

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.848
2nd: 2.036
3rd: 1.544
4th: 1.283
5th: 1.106
6th: 0.965
Final Gear: 4.000

Autoset 7

LSD
Initial: 30/60
Acceleration: 55/40
Deceleration: 5/5

VCD
Variable Centre Differential: 30

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Seeing that drifting and other automotive sports had taken over the modifying scene, MFT decided to give the enthusiasts a wakeup call and rebuild one of the old rally monsters from early 90's. They chose one of the few remaining Celica GT-Four RC '91's and begun their gigantic task, replicating the WRC Group A rallycar.

First off, the chassis was completely stripped and strengthened by welding the seams and fitting a roll cage. Body panels were replaced with lighter ones and even plexi-glass windows were added to get rid of extra weight. Despite all this, the car is about 40kg heavier than the original rallycar was. The engine was left fairly stock, only slight modifications were done, the most notable one being new turbocharger. The limited slip differentials and an adjustable centre differential ensure that the car can be adjusted for any track, and a complete rally-spec suspension keeps the tyres on the gravel or ice, which ever happens to be available. The car itself has been adjusted for fairly easy and simple driving characteristics, but it still can get hairy when handled in wrong way.

Disclaimer: This is pure rally setup, suitable for snow and dirt.

I figured I had finally had Aston Martin's V8 Vantage, but I don't. D:

The damn thing's gave me hell on GT2 and it's giving me hell all over again in 4.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV TME Review:

Test Track: Citta 'di Aria Normal

the mods on the engine were good, it was enough to give the Evo IV an extra kick.., but one thing noticable about this car is, it has a lot of body roll. the springs were too soft, i can't control the car's weight shifting.., it was very hard to drive it at Citta, very unstable..., the LSD wasn't enough to stabilize the car when turning or under heavy braking, i always hit the walls on the esses in T2.., it feels heavy, or is it just me IDK.., i stiffened up the springs a few kg's, ah much better.., overall it's not a bad car, i just can't push it to the limits.., i can't use my favorite racing technique on it..,

score: 7.5/10

I'm afraid I have to agree on the track subject. The Lancer is way too big and heavy for the grip levels it has to be used as a touge car. Your last sentence may be the best possible explanation to the things you're experiencing, this isn't a car to be thrown around like the super light touge racers but an AWD vehicle that relies on momentum to show its best sides. The weight control is very controllable taking into account how it should be driven, you have probably just been too aggressive with it.

You should stop driving at Cita and use a real track to test cars on :sly:

I'm afraid I have to agree on the track subject. The Lancer is way too big and heavy for the grip levels it has to be used as a touge car. Your last sentence may be the best possible explanation to the things you're experiencing, this isn't a car to be thrown around like the super light touge racers but an AWD vehicle that relies on momentum to show its best sides. The weight control is very controllable taking into account how it should be driven, you have probably just been too aggressive with it.

hmmm, maybe you two guys are right.., once in a while, i need to take a break from Citta.., i did test my EK9 on the 'Ring and on Costa 'di Amalfi for understeer checks.., maybe i just have been pushing it too hard, being too aggresive with my style, like what you said.., i'll take your advices.., :)

Can you tune me a Toyota Supra RZ 97...man.. i just love that car...
And by the way i love the grim reaper..my god. that car is amazing. I Give him 9.5/10.
Continue the good work.

well, if you can come up with a good, long review for the R34per, I'll PM you a setup for the RZ if i still have it on my garage. and if I don't, I'll just make a new one in trade to the long review. ;)

Agree with that. I was testing the Evo's for TCv3 initially (hence my comments about how crap they were compared to the Spec-C in another thread) and I could most definitely say that the overall size of the car was it's biggest impedence. The weight/power factors weren't a worry but even with the smaller Evo's (Evo 2 = 410hp/1000kg) it was an absolute effort to turn it around that track.

Try same car on Trial Mountain or Deep Forest, I reckon you'd have a lot more fun there.

And by the way i love the grim reaper..my god. that car is amazing. I Give him 9.5/10.
Continue the good work.

well, if you can come up with a good, long review for the R34per, I'll PM you a setup for the RZ if i still have it on my garage. and if I don't, I'll just make a new one in trade to the long review. ;)

anyone will fall for the the Grim R34per.., even i, a touge racer, fell for it when i tested it on GVS.., i used to hate R34's because of their weight and big bodies, but since then, i began to appreciate them again.., that is the reason why i entered a R34 in TCv3.., 👍

bit of both. they should actually work better with wheel I think. how so? are you encountering problems with some cars?

I was just waundering. I am thinking of getting a driving force steering wheel. Thanks for the quick answer.:)

get driving force pro if it fits your budget.. and if you can muster up about 250$, you should get G25. Both I and Grey have one, and it has made the tuning easier thanks to more accurate feedback.

i will get the driving force pro, i cant afford the G25 yet
ps you know my freind pickie825491 here in Washington State USA

^You, sir, win the username battle. Congratulations!

I tried Rex Jr. with my DFP, and I didn't get much of a different driving impression than when I used my DS2 on it. True, the force feedback does help to predict where it will go, but I still get the feeling that I'm merely compensating for a confused chassis. When I try to drift, it grips too much, and vice-versa. In low-speed corners, it's actually quite fun, but it's too horrifying in high-speed corners for me to enjoy it.

I suppose it just doesn't suit my driving style... I guess I'll use full-grip MR2 for pace and full-drift MX-5 for drift. Of course, among many, many others.

Continue the good work.
If you're interested in the Ridox Supra that I run, PM me. A tip if you will be tuning your own: the 80-Supra behaves better on softer spring rates.

you know, it's not really polite to advertise your own tunes in someone elses tuner garage. :irked: you could had sent him a simple PM. Shame on you.

Alfa Romeo Giulia SS Edition '63

222 bhp, 241 Nm, 864 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 4.0 / 3.5
Ride Height: 105 / 110
Bound: 2 / 4
Rebound: 6 / 8
Camber: 1.5 / 1.5
Toe: 1 / -1
Stabilizers: 2 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 5

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.604
2nd: 1.852
3rd: 1.446
4th: 1.193
5th: 1.011
6th: 0.868
Final Gear: 4.500

Autoset 8

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 25
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

People are always drooling over the modern Alfa Romeos and their styling, and the handling characteristics. At the same time the true classics, the really good looking ones, are being more and more forgotten. Today we're helping the old Giulia Sprint Speciale regain its appeal and show the new ones who's he boss around a circuit. It was a quick car back then but after going through our workshop it's an entirely different animal, now "quick" isn't good enough. This old school aerodynamic miracle can take on modern sports cars and come out on top, thanks to the rebuilt engine combining the proven design and modern ways to boost the output. The suspension is built to match the increased power while still retaining the natural handling of the car, we don't want to ruin a classic totally here. Consider it to be an update of the base car, not a race tune and it makes full sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back