F1GTR: From the East

• Thread starter F1GTR
  • 201 comments
Hey guys, I'd like to share all my work, starting from my point and shoot days up to my current state. Hopefully I've improved over the year and a bit I've been taking photography seriously.

First up is the first shot I was truly proud of, mainly because of the tones and composition I got. It's simply the back of an industrial freezer, but I felt it was the first shot that felt 'right'.

Fan_by_GTRacer.jpg

Second shot is the London Eye:
Wheel_and_Tower_by_GTRacer.jpg

Paris is full of great scenery too:
Tour_Eiffel_by_GTRacer.jpg

SLK_by_GTRacer.jpg

It's a shame about the lady walking in the frame though, the SLK drove off shortly after so I couldn't wait.

After my Paris trip I discovered a style of photography I loved shooting: Street Photography.

Bling_King_by_GTRacer.jpg

Rough_by_GTRacer.jpg

Some abstract:
Done_by_GTRacer.jpg

After a while, I felt I was ready to move up to a dSLR. So last October I bought a Nikon D80 and went back to Paris:

GranTurismo_by_GTRacer.jpg

Ristorante_Sole_Mio_by_GTRacer.jpg

At_The_Lights_by_GTRacer.jpg

Back in London, and some more street shots:

Victoria_Line_by_GTRacer.jpg

london2601080072editedizq4.jpg

Sketches_by_GTRacer.jpg

Hong Kong is an absolutely amazing place. It's very much a clash between East and West.

MarketMarket_by_GTRacer.jpg

Two shots from the theme park/aquarium there (Ocean Park):

Descend_by_GTRacer.jpg

In_Numbers_by_GTRacer.jpg

A panorama from my hotel room (sorry for the large size):

East_Meets_West_by_GTRacer.jpg

3_51_by_GTRacer.jpg

All_Smiles_by_GTRacer.jpg

Random shots from Spain that I liked:

These_Streets_by_GTRacer.jpg

schoolspaintrip252of442fj3.jpg

Back in London, and another street shot:

Safer_Streets__by_GTRacer.jpg

Here are my two newest shots:

Greeeeeeeen_by_GTRacer.jpg

20080628dsc0023editce2.jpg

quite good almost everything, altough I see some overedited stuff here and there, the colours are just too saturated and dont feel natural at all in most pictures; you have a very good sense of composition, I also like to shoot street photography but in here if someone sees you pointing a camera at anything you'll get a loud "heywtf" everywhere; still, I also have some random street shots I like, I'll also add them soon.

I really liked the shot of the subway, the guy sneeezing adds a LOT to it. The shot from Hong Kong is great too, enoooormous, but a bit oversaturated.

Edit:: hahaha the alien hugging the girl is awesome! the storm trooper also works.

quite good almost everything, altough I see some overedited stuff here and there, the colours are just too saturated and dont feel natural at all in most pictures; you have a very good sense of composition, I also like to shoot street photography but in here if someone sees you pointing a camera at anything you'll get a loud "heywtf" everywhere; still, I also have some random street shots I like, I'll also add them soon.

I really liked the shot of the subway, the guy sneeezing adds a LOT to it. The shot from Hong Kong is great too, enoooormous, but a bit oversaturated.

Edit:: hahaha the alien hugging the girl is awesome! the storm trooper also works.

Thanks. The overedited ones were supposed to look unrealistic though, but different strokes I guess. Street is pretty tough but it's all in the attitude you approach people, and it helps if you don't look shifty or anything like that. However people are becoming more paranoid in the UK too, many photogs are getting grief from wannabe police (PCSOs), and actual police don't seem to know photographer's rights here in the UK. There's a huge stink being kicked up in various UK based photography forums about that as well.

Lately I've tried getting into a different atmosphere in taking pictures, a hectic photo journalistic style that ties in with street nicely. My first real try was to cover a local Anime convention (erm, except it wasn't quite local since it's the biggest of its kind in the UK).

2519689276_f7d04e6d39.jpg

2519704886_d2bfa21e2d.jpg

2519709360_227886d584.jpg

2519696558_e3520baed4.jpg

2518884683_6a9006616c.jpg

2519706282_6d18746da6.jpg

2519711012_d761ca4e2d.jpg

Obligatory girl in skimpy costume shot:
2518872187_a5ff07d6c7.jpg

2518875687_f65986d95b.jpg

2518877205_6a623f3090.jpg

2519692386_aa1715e3a4.jpg

2518891419_6721962634.jpg

2519692836_dd7f8bb727.jpg

2519693364_e25a35fe51.jpg

2519708136_2fa242e46a.jpg

2519707198_6412523321.jpg

2518885339_ceb60c5372.jpg

2519710602_8a589437eb.jpg

Thoughts on that day:

- ISO1600 and Noise Ninja were a godsend, Excel was poorly lit for even an f/2.8 lens.

- It was seriously crowded, even a huge SLR with an antisocial lens hood couldn't make room.

- Walking around for 8 hours is painful.

- The masquerade needed some pretty precise timing. It's a lot like sports photography in that respect.

Looks like that kid played the bass all wrong...

Anyway, F1GTR, you've always een one of my idols when it comes to photograhpy. Your still is in a certain way similar to tait and CDailey (what ever happened to him? Haven't seen the chap in ages...)

Love your shots though, still using the Canon G-line?

:cheers:

Yeah, he's a newbie. :lol:

And thanks, I guess it's the way I like to give my photos a slight film look that makes my photos look similar to tait and CDaileys... I still use my G7 for street stuff as it's a lot less conspicuous, but I've been using my D80 more (and I should be!).

Two from France. Have a bunch of other shots waiting to be developed though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
First France shot is epic. Is that from-camera, or is it processed? It looks like there's some movement going on. Care to share the shot info?

First France shot is epic. Is that from-camera, or is it processed? It looks like there's some movement going on. Care to share the shot info?

It's been processed, but not by a lot:
Lightroom
- Cropped + straightened to remove tree in foreground towards frame left (was in a car, explains the movement and dirt in places).

- Switched the RAW mode from ACR 4.4 to D2X Mode 3

- Exported into Photoshop for a resize + sharpen.

As for camera settings, 1/320th, f/9, with a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8

20080812-dsc_0043669.jpg

Snot, this is incredible. You have a pretty gooooooooooood eye for street picturing, I really like your style, I also like to snap the street but its pretty hard to do in such a dangerous place like Mexico City… have my fair share of stuff tough, I’ll someday post my random pictures.

Snot, this is incredible. You have a pretty gooooooooooood eye for street picturing, I really like your style, I also like to snap the street but its pretty hard to do in such a dangerous place like Mexico City… have my fair share of stuff tough, I’ll someday post my random pictures.

You'll like these then:
scan0001av0.jpg

scan0007hd6.jpg

scan0008zf8.jpg

scan0009nv2.jpg

scan0012ci8.jpg

scan0013rk6.jpg

scan0021st0.jpg

All shot on film. :)

Last edited:
Whoa, too much quality! ;)👍

What lens did you use for these 2 latest sets of images? I just love that first B&W of the previous set :cheers:

Thanks Bram! :D

I used a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 :)

One of the things I love about your work is that you have proved you have twice as much skills to us all! You've proved that you can work your magic with both digital and film which is pretty amazing to be honest. Great work.

Last edited:
Thanks Adam.

To be honest film isn't that much different from digital, you just have to be confident with exposure and composition. In fact, I turn off the screen on my D80 most of the time.

Love the starbucks shots. I really like the overall tone of the shots. And the b&w street shots are brilliant as well.

Back