F1GTR: From the East

• Thread starter F1GTR
  • 201 comments
Some more flash work from Glastonbury:

AlIt3Ew.jpg

76Jkfll.jpg

fh1Vg0j.jpg

KYox1hR.jpg

Some colour stuff as well. All around London/East London, last one is at the Olympic Park:

pRaphY7.jpg

5nfBoCI.jpg

37eZbYB.jpg

6FPoTKZ.jpg

Love the Tube one - the reflection is what makes it 👍

Thanks, yeah it was literally the only shot where the guy's reflection was bright enough to contrast the black jacket it was on. Wish I managed to get the whole of the lady in from of me as well though.

From a while ago this year, posted a few on Instagram before but here are the uncropped versions:

8T4Sj0a.jpg

1htSgSN.jpg

agE2NAt.jpg

JH2C7f6.jpg

jAL5yN2.jpg

2cz765v.jpg

First two are with the Hexar AF, the rest were on the Leica M4, all of them were shot on Tri-X and developed in XTOL.

I love your night stuff, especially the top one where you've obviously engaged with them. #1 and #4 are standouts - some really awesome human emotions nabbed.

Time to share some recent shots from my trip East:

The Philippines/RP:

ADHaocF.jpg

Security guards with shotguns proudly on display are a common sight in RP, but they usually don't stand with as much sass as this guy.

YFcEcdy.jpg

Two commuters with umbrellas waiting to get picked up under the blistering sun.

xjQOMrY.jpg

Spotted on my morning walk to grab some breakfast (there's a nice congee spot on the next block).

ZPh0pTM.jpg

Market workers having some down time.

A few more thoughts/photos from The Philippines before I move on to Hong Kong:

6pSalp0.jpg

Some students prepping for after school activities at a La Sallian school in the countryside. It's a pretty big deal for these guys as the subsidised education (the majority of schooling in RP is fee-paying) could possibly lead to them being enrolled in De La Salle Uni., one of the top universities in the country. The day to day stuff is run by candidates/members of the La Salle Catholic brotherhood. Additionally, kids from wealthy families are taught in the same classes as those who come from poorer families. The rich kids are required to 'dress down' in an attempt to make everyone equal, but it's not that simple - some kids still feel like they have to boss others about as if they were their own domestic helpers, which is met by disciplinary action from the school. Often, they're told they can leave and go to a fee paying school if they can't adjust. From my own experience in Manila, mixing the two socio-economic classes is a good idea as it's alarmingly easy to blind and yourself to the hardships present on every street corner.

ugoEZpy.jpg

Schoolkids in Metro Manila often spend their lunch breaks in convenience stores.

AbbvPKl.jpg

One of my favourite things about street photography: spotting juxtapositions.

Here's the first batch from Hong Kong, wonderful city, it was great being back after nearly 8 years:

63T0dBn.jpg

One of the first scenes I saw after stepping off the Airport Express

From there I headed over to Wan Chai as Central wasn't very busy:

nZuS9rz.jpg

Barging through...

M39wh04.jpg

Messing about with an anamorphic/cine crop - I'd love to spend a few weeks doing a short film in HK.

wNTQ834.jpg

Getting some last minute flowers for New Years

After that I took the ferry to Kowloon side for dinner:
jRnmQoW.jpg

QwII0aH.jpg

About to arrive...

Some monks admiring the view on the way back to HK island
mEnmyoF.jpg

From my second day in HK:

Ja6aWRg.jpg

Three expressions

kxDtRFb.jpg

Not sure if the man brought his canary out for the morning or if it was someone else's

Found a temple and hung around there for a bit:
CJH0lX7.jpg

K1Qjl17.jpg

WAEBXzM.jpg

Then went up to The Peak to take advantage of the lack of smog:
SsIEFep.jpg

Later on - just my Ricoh GR sitting on the wall of the viewing platform there:
2WZiykB.jpg

A sunny, clear day in HK. Lucky you!

The timing was perfect - the day after it was all clouds and rain!

Last HK batch before I start scanning all of my film in:

42Q60sl.jpg

People crowding the fence to get a good photo of the sunset

mkq80Wx.jpg

Bulk feeding pigeons

OTPczA3.jpg

l9USZCo.jpg

At the fish market in Mong Kok

lYXcboz.jpg

oblskgl.jpg

n4bOCvd.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a bonus set that I shot to pass the time during an 8 hour layover in Beijing. I wanted to head out into the city proper but it was -5C and I definitely wasn't dressed for that kind of temp. The Ricoh was set to 1:1 mode so I could dial in my eye when it came to using my Rolleiflex:

QVYuyP1.jpg

Latest Posts

Back