Jaime Alguersuari

The equivelant level of sportscars or rallying, which I guess would be either FIA GT, WTCC/DTM/whatever or WRC.

Learn something new everyday, didn't know F3 level qualified.

That's always been the case. Button, Senna and Brundle all jumped from British F3 straight into F1. It was common before F3000 was started.

From here:

5. Qualification for the Super licence

5.1 The Super licence is issued by the Formula One Commission, on its sole decision, following a specific request and recommendation from the driver’s ASN, accompanied by his/her record of results, and on the following conditions:

i) the driver is party to an agreement with a team entered in the FIA Formula One World Championship to race a Formula One car in the Championship in the year of application as first, second or reserve driver,

ii) the driver is the holder of a Grade A licence,

iii) the driver:
either a): has been classified in the first 4 of the final classification of the GP2 Series within the previous 2 years,
or b): has been classified in the first 3 in at least 5 races, or in the first 6 in at least 10 races, of the GP2 Series, within the previous 2 years,
or c): has been classified in the first 3 of the final classification of the Japanese F/Nippon Championship within the previous 2 years,
or d): has been classified in the first 6 of the final classification of the Indy Racing League (IRL) series or of the Champ Car World Series in the United States within the previous 2 years,
or e): is the current champion of the Euroseries 3000, the World Series F/Renault V6 or the International F3000 Masters (the title is considered valid for 12 months from the last race of his or her championship season),
or f): is the current champion of the Formula 3 Euro Series or of the principal National F3 Championship of one of the following countries: Great Britain, Italy, Japan, (the title is considered valid for 12 months from the last race of his or her championship season),
or g): has started in at least 5 races counting for the FIA Formula One World Championship for Drivers the previous year,
or h): (exceptionally), has a record of results which is judged sufficient, unanimously, by the Bureau of the Formula One Commission and has driven at least 300 km in a current Formula One car at racing speeds, over a maximum period of 2 days, certified by the ASN of the country in which the test took place. Only results obtained with single-seater formula cars will be taken into consideration. Should the members of the Bureau not agree unanimously, the Commission in its entirety will be consulted.
In this case, the complete application must be received by the FIA at least 14 days before scrutineering for the first FIA Formula One World Championship event in which the candidate is to compete.

iv) the annual Super licence fee is paid to the FIA.

5.2 The Super Licence is valid to the end of the year of issue.

5.3 A driver accepted under the terms of iii) h) above will be on probation for a period of 12 months during which the Super Licence will be held provisionally and subject to review at any time.

This is slightly out of date - it doesn't mention F2 - but you also qualify for a Super Licence if you finish in the top three of the F2 championship.

So, simplified:

In the last 2 years:

• Finish in the top 4 of the GP2 championship;
  • Finish in the top 3 in at least 5 GP2 races;
  • Finish in the top 6 in at least 10 GP2 races;
  • Finish in the top 3 of the F2 championship;
  • Finish in the top 3 of the Japanese Formula Nippon championship;
  • Finish in the top 6 of the IRL;
  • Finish in the top 6 of the Champ Car World Series.
In the last year:

• Win the Euroseries F3000 championship;
  • Win the World Series by Renault;
  • Win the International Formula Masters;
  • Win the British F3 championship;
  • Win the Italian F3 Championship;
  • Win the Japanese F3 championship;
  • Win the F3 Euroseries championship.
Alternatively:

• Start at least 5 F1 races in the previous season;
  • Complete at least 300km of testing in a current F1 car at racing speeds and have a record of results judged sufficient.
So in total, 53 drivers qualified for a 2009 FIA Super Licence on results alone (not including the 300km rule). However, you must also have an F1 team to actually drive for, be it as a race or reserve driver, thus only 20 or 30 something are actually given out each year.

So if you've ever wondered how Yuji Ide managed to get one, it was his third place in 2004 and second place in the 2005 Formula Nippon seasons that did it. To also add fuel to the firey speculation, Danica Patrick's 6th place in the IRL last year validates a 2009 and 2010 Super Licence.

Interestingly, in iii) h), "Only results obtained with single-seater formula cars will be taken into consideration" - presumably this has been waived in Sebastian Loeb's case, should he race this season.

Last edited:
Roo
Interestingly, in iii) h), "Only results obtained with single-seater formula cars will be taken into consideration" - presumably this has been waived in Sebastian Loeb's case, should he race this season.

I thought that was referring to driving in the F1 car. In other words, you can't put in your time and distance at race speeds in a double-seat trainer like some of the teams have.

WRC is above F1 when it comes to skill, F1 drivers have all the respect for rally drivers. The F1 driver knows the track by heart already, while the rally driver gets everything from a guy with a notepad beside him. F1 drivers drive on closed tracks with nice, soft tire walls to hit if you make a mistake, rally drivers have nice long cliffs to flip down, nice rivers to fall in, nice bolders and trees to hit.

Ardius
Not only is Jaime's skills and experience in question as well as having no testing...but even his fitness is not at its best:
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...22122656.shtml

Either he's doomed to failure or he's going to be making some headlines on Sunday..

If he radios the team mid-race that he is tired, then he is as good as gone, and Bourdais might return, or Senna maybe?:)

Last edited:
If he radios the team mid-race that he is tired, then he is as good as gone, and Bourdais might return, or Senna maybe?:)

lol i doubt they would can him if he was tired mid-race at least after the first race. though im sure there making him train hard to be ready. now if by the second race im sure they will can him and get Danica Patrick in there how much worse could they do. at least they will get some good publicity. :sly:

Hungaroring is a very demanding track, with lots of corners and little resting space, so this si the worst place to be unfit for anyone, so he is screwed.

Actually, I think Monaco would be the absolute worst because it's so narrow and takes a lot out of the drivers. Turkey, Singapore, Brazil and Abu Dhabi would come next because they're all counter-clockwise configurations. Then maybe Hungary.

Although the drivers are much more use to clockwise layouts, the counter-clockwise layouts aren't that much harder. It does use the weaker side of the driver, but another thing to look at with the difficulty of a track is the conditions. Hungary is hot and dry, and with those conditions, combined with the challenge to complete a race with little time to rest, makes it almost unbearable. I agree with you when it comes to Monaco though, but Monaco really is more of a reflex challenge than a workout.

The STR4 does indeed appear to have the RBR-Silverstone updates on it with the larger nose and everything, dare I say that Jaime could end up with cars around him on the grid? Bets for T1 disaster?
Tomorrow is going to be so crucial for him, the only way this situation could be any worse is if he has mechanical problems or an accident tomorrow. Then he really would be like throwing a F3 driver straight into a F1 race!

BREAKING NEWS: orimarc misses sarcasm aimed at all those who said Alguersauri would be dangerous.

Unless orimarc is being sarcastic too. I really hope so.

Roo
BREAKING NEWS: orimarc misses sarcasm aimed at all those who said Alguersauri would be dangerous.

BREAKING NEWS: Roo misses the yellow smiley face meaning sarcasm at orimarc's post.

BREAKING NEWS: You all are beings coc** and we need to continue the conversation!!!!!! :)

BREAKING NEWS: You all are beings coc** and we need to continue the conversation!!!!!! :)

Dark Knight.gif
Why so serious?

slowpoke.gif

BREAKING NEWS: orimarc was getting annoyed at DYR?

oh wait..

Anyway, back to topic, not sure what to expect from this lad today. He could do alright which I hope he does but I'm not expecting anything about 17th place for the lad.

On a side note he has a memorial to Henry Surtees who he raced with last season on his helmet
He told Autosport:
"Henry was a big friend, I didn't know him much, to be honest because I met him last year in Donington Park in the last round of British F3. He did I think a really good job, he was a very talented driver and he was a good friend. I spent a day in Alton Towers with him in England, we had good fun and for me he was very very strong. More than this is that I could never expect something like this to anybody so it also affects me. At the end it is a sad day and sad season for everyone in motorsport."

Full interview-
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77214

BREAKING NEWS: orimarc was getting annoyed at DYR?

No. Actually, I found it somewhat funny. Not :lol: funny, but :) funny.

oh wait..

Anyway, back to topic, not sure what to expect from this lad today. He could do alright which I hope he does but I'm not expecting anything about 17th place for the lad.

I'm expecting last place...really. Unless he can pull an amazing qualification, he's in the "get used to the car by doing a lot of laps" stage.

So, what are people's thoughts of the lad ahead of Valencia and the apparent debut of yet another rookie and a return of a legendary backmarker?
He managed to beat Buemi in the latter stages of Hungary but I think Buemi was having problems at that point. Jaime did manage to keep out of trouble all race long though and got some valuable experience in the process. Not even a Nakajima type rookie error 👍

Now can he beat Grosjean? The Renault is not too much better than the STR and Grosjean has little experience of the current cars, but he has had a few tests with Renault before (I think) and is currently struggling to hold onto 2nd place and keep up with Hulkenburg in GP2.

I don't think Badoer is beatable, the F60 is close to being a potential race-winner and despite not racing for 10 years, Badoer isn't a slouch thanks to a massive amount of testing experience. He won't be up there with Raikkonen but I don't think he will be within reach of the rookies either.

He can't beat anyone of them, the STR isn't faster than the Renault, and it's definitley not faster than the Ferrari. Might be ble to pass some BMW's maybe.

Did the Red bull upgrades make it to the STR last race?

If so - they didn't appear to make much difference?

C.

Back