Mad FinnTuners Co. - Finished 081213 - The Final Countdown, 4, 3, 2, 1, OUT!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 1,705 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
C-ZETA - Good point about the Camry, I didn't put enough thought into it to figure that out. Oh well, Camries can be driven in the main NASCAR races anyway. And I don't know what happened to the Chargers, there were Mustangs involved at some point too if I'm not mistaken.

rev_hard - That's one bloody good review for a first and I thank you for that! You're about right about the car being quite fast with the default setup but the handling indeed wasn't there. Too stiff to begin with. The wallowiness you noticed in the tune is very likely a result of the high(ish) weight and the increased ride height combined to softened springs. But as it doesn't affect actual cornering it can stay there. The lighter nose feeling comes from the same source, at least I think so, and the softer dampers also play a part. The car was quite a surprise to me too - I never expected NASCARs to handle this well!

Elstro - As much as I'd like to pat my own back for making an all-round FR setup I'm still inclined to say that the main reason to your AE86 handling that well are the tyres. Anything is glued to the road with Racing Softs.

Kurei - A novel's worth of notes, of a NASCAR setup? I can see this ending in an epic way indeed...

Negs - Interesting, I would've thought there is another somewhere seeing that the car is so popular. But you're welcome, of course!

frewin69 - Well yes, they're handfuls as stock. More about it above in response to rev_hard and you're welcome too!

The Nascar tune is not very good for Indy. Feels slow out of the corners. I had a better tune but I lost it. If i find it ill let you know.

I just tried out your Car of Tomorrow setup for the 'Ring seasonal event as I hadn't done it yet because I hated the nascar due to its tendency to handle like a barge. What can I say, I take my hat off to you guys, it made a huge difference to the way the car handled. Actually that's an understatement. It genuinely not only made the nascar much faster around the 'Ring (I think I got a 6.28.xx with a DS3) but an actual pleasure to drive!

A job well done in my book! :)

P.s. I've never commented on a tune before, but this one made that much of a difference that I had to say something. 👍

vaneyk - 322 km/h or 200 mph minimum onto the short chutes, 315 km/h or 196 mph minimum onto the long straights. Feel doesn't matter, speed does. And if you're not hitting those every single time it's not the car at fault...

KaineCy - Judging by people's findings, including yours, it really seems I tried to make an oval setup and churned out a proper road racing setup in the process! Quite an unexpected but pleasant accident. :lol:

I got a double bonus for you guys, not only am I back again, but for this car in particular, you’ll be getting the most un-biased, true, and informative review from me yet, as I (dare I say it) am a NASCAR/Grinding virgin :dopey:, ripe for picking of info and w/e feedback you could want.
Seriously, once I won the #48 NASCAR I just put it away in storage, spent more time re-learning the reins in various cars I chose to help ease me back to pace the best, never grinded a race (the need never came), but now I’m just looking to make some extra money for a few toys I want to play with.
However, with the car having been stored, It never got broken in, so in a third bonus for you guys (:sly:), you’ll also get feedback on how the car breaks-in overall (which if you’re a good and observant driver, can be noticed), and have that little bit extra feedback to work on. So onto the review.

MFT NASCAR review

“The break-in”
Once I had the car setup per MFT specs, I had to find a way to break-in the car quickly, I pondered the nature of the Engine’s in-game break-in -> the thoughts of which lead to a Engine dyno -> then to a chassis dyno-> which I noted is also known as a ‘rolling-road’ (you might see where I’m going with this)->that lead to the thought of roads I could use to maybe simulate it all -> and somehow decided the shape and layout of Daytona would suit as a good way to break-in a car quickly if used right .

First couple of laps, the car was fast, but not quick, I could still feel the suspension and chassis squirm here and there, wanting to do its own thing. This wasn’t ideal for me needing to be able to follow a very specific line, but it did give it that “alive” feeling, I could feel the rear end behave differently than the front, the left vs the right and such, very realistic. I pitted and exited the drive, saved the best ghost lap for a reference point, and went out again. Once again I was noticing that odd squirm, but right about 7 laps in during the second heat, something changed in the cars behavior, no more squirm and bounce, It was happy to stay in a very straight line all of a sudden, allowing me to find that line that was just right, and sure enough I was coming out of corners a few mph faster than before when it squirmed. “Did the chassis settle in ?, has everything worked itself together ?” and other questions ran through my head, something was different though, I was now coming out of the corners with more speed, I wasn’t imagining it either, You guys know I have enough experience to know the difference, and crunched the numbers to be sure.

The data logger backed it up, after lap 7 I was coming out quick at 203mph at the second curve leading to the back-straight , and according to the ghost data of the previous run I was doing 200-201. Now you may say that bit is just the engine starting to make more power, and you could very well be right, but remember that I said I noticed a change in chassis behavior, rather than power output, I’ll also mention that I play with a DFGT, so from a driver’s aspect there was a noticeable (to a observant driver) change in car behavior.
“So why bring all this up ?” – Well to put it simply I want to give you two as much feedback as possible from every aspect any regular player might experience, say you tune a car that gets broken in over a few hundred miles as you get things adjusted as you like, and how it behaved during break-in may be forgotten by you once the car is settled and ready to go. If a player picks up the tune and only drives it a few miles and only experiences the break-in stage, they may be turned away and you could be none the wiser that the exp you got from a car and what a player got from a car were two opposites. I’d like to bridge the gap and let you know how it feels at all stages, this way you can determine whether a side note needs to be attached to a MFT Tune informing a player that the car needs a proper break-in before any real testing should be done or if its good to go right from the start.

“The multi-test”
After breaking the car in and getting adjusted to proper driving tech for NASCAR, I felt it was time to see how it would treat corners outside of ovals. Sadly though one of my GT4 favorites, Infineon Raceway, is not in GT5, which does ‘bum me out, but I decided I’d see what I’d work with.

Tsukuba Circuit.

No I’m not joking (you can stop laughing), I decided the first road course to test would be Tsukuba because of 2 reasons, 1 is that it is very flat, and therefore boring, just like ovals :sly: – which would mean little initial argument from the nascar, and 2 is that even though it is flat and boring (I have come around to seeing it more as a go-kart track, than a road-course), it still does have some unique corner transitions that would test the cars ability in a range of corner set-ups that might be seen at other common road courses. (and on a 3rd note, who wouldn’t be interested to see a full NASCAR race here, I wouldn’t know what to classify it, sports or entertainment ?)
Driving around Tsu, The car was very well behaved in the suspension/chassis, not a sign of squirm anywhere and it instead wanted to hug the driving line, even when entering the corners with a bit of gusto, the car just stayed planted and complied, allowing me to squeeze even more speed out of it. To my surprise I set a ’51 sec laptime without any effort and short-shifting, a time equal to the legendary NSX of Keiichi Tsuchiya, granted I had more than plenty of power, though that is off-set by the cars weight.. to a point.
I could easily see this car hitting mid ’49 second lap times here, but I’ll leave that to some one else who wants to spend a while at a simple circuit.

Moving on to a course I thought would provide some different in-sight outside of corners, I packed the car and shipped off to La Sarthe to see how it would handle the straights and chicanes in-between. Cresting over the hill at the tire near the begining, the car once again stayed glued to the road as I carved out every corners apex with no worry of understeer at speed, then made my way onto the back straight and floored it.

200mph was there and gone quickly, and as the speed kept increasing, I kept an eye out for signs of the on-coming chicane, “barrier, post, sign, house, ‘nother house, house-BRAKE!” I stomped on the brake pedal, and my heart skipped a beat. To put it simply, this thing LOVES to brake, I can’t remember the last time I felt a car stop so quickly - so well (though I still haven’t played with race cars in GT5 yet too much), It brakes so well, straight or in the bends, that I found myself re-adjusting my common braking points to a noticeable spot later in a corner. For a car this heavy, at those high speeds, to shed speed so well, is a impressive feat. I see that the brake bias is set more towards the rear, and I’m not saying that its wrong or not good enough, but I am just curious as to how you came to those specs, was there a good amount of testing involved, or has a experience in the past lead you to that result ?.

For the final test I went to Fuji Speedway with the GT layout, no particular reason other than I think it’d make another interesting track to see NASCAR at some day. The car behaved beautifully once again as I still was amazed at the cars braking ability, only to be more impressed by how well it stays glued to the road and obeys commands, to the point that I’m actually considering using this for some experimentation in a few race series to see how it handles in a crowd and possibly off-line.
Through the tests I was only able to find a few small flaws in the car as it is, rather than what MFT has done with it, Those being that if you plant the throttle a little early to jump out of corners, The car likes to kick its rear out a little too much, usually enough to touch the grass or dirt and spin or slide if you quick enough to catch it, not MFT’s fault, just the nature of a un-restricted stock car. The other small issue is its gearing, Intended for Indy (say that 3 times fast) grinding, and that fact that it only has 4 gears, some hairpins and sharper corners can get interesting, sometimes too high in the rpms, or too low, there’s sort of a “grey-area” in gearing outside at other courses that ends up getting played with until the sweet-spot of speed is discovered. Again not so much MFT’s fault as NASCAR rules coming into play, and I’m sure they could remedy the issue with the ability to fine-tune gearing if it were available.

But in the end, the intention of MFT to make a boring car and boring grind more fun and enjoyable is clearly evident, If a guy like me with little interest in the motorsport outside of road courses, can hop-in, rev it, brake it, and repeat all for fun rather than money, I don’t see why anyone else can’t.

(Unless..you know, their morons, lazy whiners or something ;))

I am also planning on testing 1 of the classic RM muscle cars you 2 came out with, I’m just not sure when, but I do have the Historic cup to do so it will happen, and I'll have to wait on Leo's GT, as I'm not level 24 yet, it will come though, but in the meantime I do have some German muscle I’d like you guys to take a look at :P. I’ll send a PM

Only too true. That's a tough one to reply to but all I can do is try.

The chassis break-in is a thing I've never paid too much attention to but it probably explains why my third CoT exhibited a change in the behaviour when straightening out in the Indy turns - indeed I thought it was a side product of the greater speed carried into the corners. Apparently it was something else too. Full engine break-in takes roughly 200 miles, that one I managed to find out.

Tsukuba is agreedly more of a go-kart track than anything else. And I know what that event could be called, pure torture comes to mind... but back to business, the road handling is indeed remarkably good. I don't know why but it just is. The downforce probably plays a part but still... to put it in perspective a default setup NASCAR laps GVS one second slower than a fine tuned ZR1 RM which has 700 bhp on tap and weighs about half a ton less. This setup will probably beat the Corvette if I try. Still no idea how.

The brake settings? Trial and error with the on-the-fly adjustments until the car turns in without overloading the front tyres or breaking grip in the rear. Definitely not suitable for non-ABS driving as is though... yes I tried it. Didn't have much to say about which direction the car took.

The transmission? The ratios were selected with only Indy in mind but if I had free hands like in the good old days the first gear would be long enough to take hairpins with it without any doubt. Now there's very little overlap in the gearing which doesn't help with the relatively peaky nature of the engine.

The German muscle is being looked at. I actually hope it begins to behave if I look at it hard enough but at least for the time being, my plan isn't working...

Chevrolet Corvette C6.R GT1+

703 bhp, 794 Nm, 1090 kg
Painted in LeMans Blue from Chevrolet

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
Racing Modification
Engine Tuning Stage 2
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Racing Medium Tyres

Price: Too little for a LeMans-spec race car.

Aerodynamics
Downforce: 35 / 60

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.710
2nd: 2.368
3rd: 1.675
4th: 1.247
5th: 0.977
6th: 0.806
Final Gear: 3.420

Top speed: 400 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 20
Acceleration Sensitivity: 50
Braking Sensitivity: 10

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 9.0 / 7.0
Dampers (Extension): 8 / 8
Dampers (Compression): 4 / 2
Anti-Roll Bars: 4 / 5
Camber Angle (-): 2.3 / 2.3
Toe Angle: 0 / -0.15

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 4 / 2

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

Why yes, it is a Chevrolet Corvette. And no, it's not your ordinary glassfibre bucket of speed. This one is better know as the C6.R GT1+, and while it pretty much looks like your special Le Mans racer, it's slightly tweaked to do better than that. In order to counter the increased amount of diesel-performance, Chevrolet increased the power of their factory racer. Sadly, it also made the car twitchy as the leafsprings refused to cope with the increased performance, thus, a real coil spring suspension was installed. After some finetuning for increased stability and handling at any speed, the beast was unleashed upon the unaware Europeans.. And the rest is history of brutal speed.

Hello there! I was wondering if you guys know any cure for that head blowing whistle, that for example F430 keeps. Mostly I´m using roof cam. Titanium racing exhaust gives little low tone to blend that annoying sound. It wasn´t that disturbing in Prologue, but now my mouth is streching to my ears. Otherwice it is fun car to drive. Cheers. :cheers:

A lot of praise here for the Nascar tune, but it's deserved. It's one of my favorite Nordschliefe cars actually, soaks up the curbs so nice and always seems to stay planted. Fantastic sense of speed, yet actually being able to control it is quite fun.

I'm off today so I'm going to try some of these others out, but top praise on the Nascar tune, it's one of my favorite cars in the game, purely for this tune. If only I could paint it...

Hello there! I was wondering if you guys know any cure for that head blowing whistle, that for example F430 keeps. Mostly I´m using roof cam. Titanium racing exhaust gives little low tone to blend that annoying sound. It wasn´t that disturbing in Prologue, but now my mouth is streching to my ears. Otherwice it is fun car to drive. Cheers. :cheers:

That whine is due to the aftermarket gearbox; all (close ratio, ultra close, adjustable) of them do it, stock doesn't. 👍

Wrong. Even the stock ones do whine in some cars. Not as much as the aftermarket ones, but they do.

That whine is due to the aftermarket gearbox; all (close ratio, ultra close, adjustable) of them do it, stock doesn't.

That could explain quite a lot. Didn´t thougt about that. I´ve noticed that whining notably in F430 and GT350R and yes, they both have fully adjustable gearbox. Especially Mustang should be something else than a bagpipe. Will try and see tomorrow with stock gearbox. Thanks and keep up the great job! 👍👍👍

It's hard to find because there is no such thing. It's "mere" RM'd Z06 Corvette '06. Thanks for the chuckles though. :lol:

Chevrolet Corvette C6.R GT2+ '09

695+ bhp, 855+ Nm, 1100 kg
Painted in Velocity Yellow Tintcoat from Chevrolet

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
Racing Modification
Racing Medium Tyres

Overall cost: 594.850Cr

Aerodynamics
Downforce: 35 / 60

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.452
2nd: 2.284
3rd: 1.650
4th: 1.252
5th: 0.997
6th: 0.834
Final Gear: 3.420

Top speed: 340 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 10
Acceleration Sensitivity: 25
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 10 / 20
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 12.0 / 8.0
Dampers (Extension): 9 / 6
Dampers (Compression): 4 / 5
Anti-Roll Bars: 3 / 4
Camber Angle (-): 2.0 / 2.0
Toe Angle: -0.10 / -0.20

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 3 / 8

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

When Chevrolet changed from the GT1 class to GT2 in 2009 they ditched the Z06 body for the ZR1 and were forced to downgrade the engine quite a bit. The what-if of today, such a car without the downgrade! With all the strengths of the slightly better base car combined to a supercharged engine the result is indeed a GT2+ class racer, very similar to the GT1+ in overall specs but quite different as an experience thanks to forced induction. It looks like the normal works Corvette but be careful when you see one of those yellow things in your rear view mirror... it might not stay there for very long.

Whats the reason for having the brake balance set at 0/0 on the Ford GT instead of, I don't know, 5/5? Just out of interest.

Whats the reason for having the brake balance set at 0/0 on the Ford GT instead of, I don't know, 5/5? Just out of interest.

You don't need brakes on INDY... if you do, you're doing it wrong. Also, this being an MR car on grippy tires, altering brake balance can easily spin the car.

You don't need brakes on INDY... if you do, you're doing it wrong. Also, this being an MR car on grippy tires, altering brake balance can easily spin the car.
Ah right, didn't realise it was for Indy. Will the tune be suitable for it for everything else or is it just Indy?

It works on American Championship tracks at least, so it's pretty safe to assume that it works elsewhere.

Remember that it's still a mid-engined car with 800bhp+ and enough torque to spin the world.. Hence why it has that TCS 1 there. Otherwise it would sit still in it's own cloud of smoke.

Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 #83'69

565 bhp, 76 kgfm, 1085 kg
Painted in Hugger Orange from Chevrolet

Clickable for full size

P.S. She's a screamer. ;)

What an amazing set-up! i won the much-feared historic race cup with it. for deep forest, there was no problem, for côte d'azur, however, i changed the transmission down to a max speed of 280 km/h and ignored the 1st gear, using only 2nd onwards (from the very start of the race). like this, i had a reasonable "1st" gear which helped enormously at the start and out of the corners. also, the gear-braking before the hairpins was better. besides, the lack of top speed did not do harm on this track, either.

thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never bothered changing my TCS from 5. I really ought to play about with it and see how much difference it makes!

What an amazing set-up! i won the much-feared historic race cup with it. for deep forest, there was no problem, for côte d'azur, however, i changed the transmission down to a max speed of 280 km/h and ignored the 1st gear, using only 2nd onwards (from the very start of the race). like this, i had a reasonable "1st" gear which helped enormously at the start and out of the corners. also, the gear-braking before the hairpins was better. besides, the lack of top speed did not do harm on this track, either.

thanks a lot!

You're welcome. Feel free to request a setup if you need anything.

I've never bothered changing my TCS from 5. I really ought to play about with it and see how much difference it makes!

Makes a big difference, especially in RWD car with over 400hp - you can drive it with the throttle, which when you get it down, is immensely satisfying. The only car I use TC on is the Formula GT, but for me, it's faster on that car with it on.

You should NEVER use it on anything with AWD, and it will absolutely KILL you on dirt or snow rally courses.

Makes a big difference, especially in RWD car with over 400hp - you can drive it with the throttle, which when you get it down, is immensely satisfying. The only car I use TC on is the Formula GT, but for me, it's faster on that car with it on.

You should NEVER use it on anything with AWD, and it will absolutely KILL you on dirt or snow rally courses.

Thanks for the tip, will make sure I try that out. I don't consider myself a good enough, or a careful enough driver so I'm cautious about turning TCS off, I do have the other assists off though, apart from ABS which is at 1

Mazda RX-7 GT-X(FC) '90

266+ bhp, 34+ kgfm, 1110 kg
Painted in Crystal White from Mazda​

Tune is good, soft, but good. It's a good drift setup, if you add a touch more power, but if you flick it, you can hold it out under full throttle even in 4th gear. I just raced this in the 300km endurance race @ Autumn Ring on sport soft tires (anything sticker with this power is massive overkill) to make it somewhat a challenge, and it was fun. I also found out that if you make laps drifting 80% of the time? Sport soft tires last maybe 10 laps, and then they are complete toast.

I think I'll make a mod of this that stiffens everything up, I think all it needs is just stiffer anti-roll bars, and I'd be super happy with it. Great beginner car, especially if you want to try out drifting.

Complaints were the brakes, I don't know if 0/0 was a typo, but 5/5 for track setup, and 4/7 for drifting fit my style a lot better.

All in all, well thought out tune, really did bring out the 90's character that this car has (looks sharp too, I even did the wheels :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back