Mad FinnTuners Co. - Finished 081213 - The Final Countdown, 4, 3, 2, 1, OUT!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 1,705 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
The car oversteers a lot, and doesn't seem to have enough grip in most any situations.

Fixed that to better reflect the truth. The sports tyres were nowhere enough but slicks would have turned it into another quite generic quick car. Oddly enough I didn't find half as much oversteer as understeer but that might be a result of me entering corners slightly faster and overworking the front tyres in the process. That probably also explains the necessity of modifications, I was trying to extract more oversteer for most of the time and it ended up being too much for your style.

That's my 599 indeed. A badly overpowered beast with half the grip it'd really need.

Verdict
This is everything a beginner could want in a single package. A nice looking car to show them the ropes by helping them find the right way around. A braking system that will let you know when you push the limits to far. A drift ready car needing only standard tires. And the satisfaction that the product was delivered by the best in the business. Ah, you hear that? That’s peace of mind calling, your relaxing drive is ready.

Good to hear that yet another customer finds my tiny, low-powered rotary rocket as a well rounded stepping stone when going for speed and showboating! Feel free to request a tune.. And no, requests saved from GT4 era can't be carried over to GT5 :lol:

Time for a small news flash.

First off, everyone who has a request pending for me, I can't do it for the next week or so. Don't send the possible cars as there's no use in doing so - I've begun the Le Mans 24h A-Spec project and it'll probably take that week to complete. I'll let you know when the situation gets back to normal again.

Second, our next pair of cars was (at least on my part) finished in advance before I began the race. As a result they won't have custom gear ratios, ballast, power restrictors, PP points... the 1.06 bells and whistles in other words. Those will find their way into the setup sheets with the pair following them.

can you please put our cars on hiatus for a while and update one or two of the already amazing tunes posted for the new update? I would like to think that your tunes can get better with the updated tuning abilities and would like to improve on existing tunes instead of starting new one's from scratch...just a thought...

on a side note I LOVE being able to look in the dealerships and know which version of a car i have already purchased...OH (so excited) my custom tracks (courses) online HOORAY, welcome to hell everyone on my friends list...my tracks feature over 60 turns in a 5 mile length fwa ha ha oh and it's a snow track...it's delightfully evil...im so glad this update was a good update and not an evil one...however LIKE THE WIND only gets 70,000 for first place instead of previous 84,000 :( oh well...

My last review of an MFT tuned car was in GT4. A lot has changed since then, new game, new console, and I see, you're no longer averse to tuning race cars which is good to see 👍 I thought i'd start my first review of one of your cars in GT5 with one of the most highly anticipated aspects of GT5; NASCAR, with your Car of Tomorrow '10 stock car.

I remember the first time I ran the NASCAR series. I struggled to say the least. The car was all over the place, Wild oversteer and wheelspin at the exit to every corner and understeer on the entry. I had to short shift and still be gentle on the throttle out of any corner <100mph. There was no way around Indy speedway without having to lift off heavily or tap the brakes either, it was just plain bad to drive.

But today I decided to try out this tune on my new save (My last is redundant now &#8211; different PSN id). The car I won from the special events is a Camry, so unfortunately I can't run it in the American Championship, but I did run it in the NASCAR event. Once i'd bought the parts and adjusted the setup, I took it for a spin at Grand Valley and oh my god it was amazing. I'd just got out of my 908 and into the Camry. I was expecting something so horrible to drive in comparison, but honestly, it handled just as well. Sure, the 908 was faster, a bit more of a handful and it was on racing hard tyres compared to racing softs on the stock car, but it was quite a close comparison. I really did not expect a big bulky stock car to handle like a light, nimble LMP car, but it did. I thought maybe the racing softs were behind the handling, but I tried it out with stock suspension etc. and it drove horrible just as before, albeit with slightly less wheelspin.

So far so good. I recognised the original target for the tune was Indy Speedway, not GVS (Where it did pretty well). So I took my Camry to the NASCAR event and started the first race at Indy Speedway. I was not impressed, the car was 4 seconds slower than advertised and whilst it left the opposition for dust, it just did not live up to expectations. My best time was in the high 1'47 region. Something was wrong, so I went back to check the setup and I discovered the source of the problem, ASM had oddly switched itself back on :scared: :lol: It was definitely off when I tested it at Grand Valley :confused:. So I turned off ASM (again) then finished the rest of the championship, blowing away the field as usual. At Daytona I adjusted the settings by lowering the downforce and increasing the length of the gear ratios to a top speed of 400, which allowed me to win, although it was quite close. It was easier to hold the inside line without the bumps knocking me out into the path of the other cars, somewhere I have struggled with previously on this track, as the AI always seems to spin you around.

After completing that event I took it back to Indy in practice mode where (After 10-15 laps) I managed to get my laptime down to 44.312, and running consistently in the mid 44s. It wasn't an altogether perfect run, it's just what I think is the best i'll be able to do. There is still more to come, as the engine wasn't fully broken in so I reckon a tenth or two could be gained there. One thing I noticed is this cars ability to take Indy at full throttle, which it certainly couldn't do stock with racing softs.

I wanted to test this car out on a more challenging course, so I took it to Trial Mountain to see how it fairs. Trial Mountain is always a good circuit to bring a cars flaws to the surface, and this is no exception. The car struggled with quick changes of direction, and understeered through some of the slower speed corners, but I have to remember this is quite a heavy car and that I shouldn't ask too much of it. However, it also shows that the car handles the bumps well without losing traction and that in the medium to high speed corners it is an absolute dream to drive, though that was to be expected as it was designed to take corners well at speed.

To sum up my pretty mediocre review of such a good car; this tune is such a marked improvement over the stock setup that it gets my personal seal of approval (You must feel honoured :P). It's made for Indy but it's also good at just about any track as this tune is a very good all-rounder. Highly recommended, it makes stock cars so much more fun to drive.

Could you guys tame the Mclaren MP4-12C for me please? It certainly needs a lot of tweaking to behave itself and you'd be the perfect guys to do it :) Sports tyres. As for the rest, go nuts, tuner preference.

Last edited:
ironmanthing - The new options don't really allow for noticable improvements in the old setups as the only big change is the gear ratio adjustment and the ratios were quite good to begin with. Having said that I might just change them for the NASCAR as it's suffering from a low number of gears and not even all of them are useful at the moment.

Seismica - One more success for the speciality setup that grew into an all rounder! I wonder how it happened but it has to be true as everyone who has tested it has said the same. Not to mention that I've witnessed it myself... I drove the very same setup in the Seasonal Event some weeks ago. Perhaps it could be upgraded to a "normal" setup but then the GT LM would be left without a partner so I'll leave it as it is, after all the desciption tells more. As mentioned above it'll get new gear ratios at some point though. And your MacLaren is being taken care of, "go nuts" has been taken into account.

And here comes the first half of the ancient monsters from Nippon; His threatening snarl is still regarded as one of the most glorious sounds in the Japanese motorsport history!

Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R V-Spec '73

280+ bhp, 283+ Nm, 974 kg
Painted in Brilliant Blue from Nissan

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Fully Customizable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost: Approximately 180.000Cr plus the actual car

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.116
2nd: 2.053
3rd: 1.468
4th: 1.110
5th: 0.888
Final Gear: 4.444

Top speed: 270 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 10
Acceleration Sensitivity: 50
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 6.0 / 4.5
Dampers (Extension): 4 / 6
Dampers (Compression): 2 / 3
Anti-Roll Bars: 3 / 3
Camber Angle (-): 2.0 / 2.0
Toe Angle: -0.20 / 0.20

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 5 / 8

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

The last model to carry the GT-R name for 16 years before the release of the R32, the Nissan KPGC110 was a car that should have been a lot but the oil crisis turned it to nothing. Only 197 examples were sold. Now one of them has got a new life, designated as V-Spec to honour the racing heritage the car was to have but that was taken away. The two litre straight six now churns out 280 wild horses and transfers its power to the rear wheels via a rebuilt racing style drivetrain. The original vehicle was already light to begin with but everything less than essential was dumped in favour of making the car lighter, even dropping below the one ton mark - quite remarkable for a car well over four metres long. When upgrading the suspension care was taken not to make it too stiff and modern and the final product retains the playful spirit of the car pretty well. The exterior changes were held to a minimum, it's a coupe from the seventies so it can as well look every bit like one. And the performance? Good enough to make many modern sports cars look like grocery getters.

haven't tried tune yet (sure it'll be amazing) but I just want to thank you guys for doing lesser used cars and not just doing the same cars everyone else has done...

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your tunes.

On the Nascar's i have used your tune and it's great my b-spec driver got 2 golds on some tracks and got gold overall on the challenges but i cannot seem to beat some of the races...i can do the high speed ring and indy (i think) but daytona is insane i cannot seem to gain an edge on the other cars...i used all the suggested tunes that you posted, however i may have my driving settings different. i use all the aides turned to on or mild and traction is set to 5 and ABS is set to 2...is this wrong...any suggestions for beating this track...i know i can win i just can't drive better than the other cars...i use the controller and steer with both the stick and buttons...i also have a g27 but find the force feedback to be too powerful, so i do not use it often...

anyway back to tuning...

ironmanthing

I just want to thank you guys for doing lesser used cars and not just doing the same cars everyone else has done...

Now that would get boring after a while, wouldn't it?

i use all the aides turned to on or mild and traction is set to 5 and ABS is set to 2...is this wrong...

Yes it is. A lot. All aids off, ABS set to 1 on road courses if you want to get the car to give all it has. It's not powerful enough to be a handful even without any electronical immobilizers.

Good to see some classics to merit some attention. I will try. 👍

It's just the beginning you're seeing...

Just a quick comment - tried the MX-5, RX-7 and the R32 in the 'new' seasonal events.

The R32 in the 4WD challenge is in spite of its quite porky weight and lower than class (394bhp) power a bit of a gun at a knifefight. You will win everything easily, almost too easily, to be honest. But it certainly demonstrates the qualities excellently - the road course was completely new to me, yet I found it very comforting to drive as the car simply does not have any vices. The understeer that was occassionally apparent at GVS was not much of an issue here, nor were missed braking zones - maybe I should take it to the Nordschleiffe next :) If you are not too certain of your skills behind the wheel, yet do not want to take a monster R35 GT-R to win, the MFT R32 is certainly a good tool for the job.

The RX-7 is also sweeter on the road courses somehow. While I found it a bit underpowered to win the RX-7 specific event in Bonus Race 7 I came third in it and had lots of fun doing it. It is certainly enough for the FR challenges and as with the R32, I did not find it as difficult to deal with missed braking zones on the road circuits as on GVS.

The MX-5 is a hoot on the bonus FR races too, however it is simply too fast for fair and challenging competition - it leaves all the others in the dust. Thinking of removing the turbo to make it more of a fair fight :)

Last edited:
Toyota 2000GT-B

290 bhp, 284Nm, 953 kg
Painted in Super White II from Toyota

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Fully Customizable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Aerodynamics
Downforce: 0 / 0

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.683
2nd: 1.747
3rd: 1.241
4th: 0.933
5th: 0.743
Final Gear: 4.375

Top speed: 290 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 15
Acceleration Sensitivity: 20
Braking Sensitivity: 20

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): -15 / -15
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 6.0 / 5.5
Dampers (Extension): 8 / 10
Dampers (Compression): 4 / 2
Anti-Roll Bars: 5 / 3
Camber Angle (-): 2.0 / 2.0
Toe Angle: 0.00 / 0.20

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 0 / 0

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 0

Back in the day, people who loved exotic cars swooned over such rarities as Type E and 2000GT-S. But now, from the depths of Toyota's secret warehouse, an evolution model of the already rare 2000GT-S has been discovered. It's production was canceled as the chief of the company went on a test drive, and ended up in hospital as the car nearly killed him. While the prototype doesn't differ externally from the 2000GT-S, the 2000GT-B was entirely different animal.. A furious oriental dragon that will bite you as soon as you display weakness. Here are the keys, and godspeed.

P.S. Is your rabies shot still effective? I'm, uh, umm... just checking because we're out of carbonfiber coffins.. 💡

For all those who liked the NASCAR on road courses, you might like it even more now. Got the gearing sorted out thanks to v1.06 capabilities. Just don't attempt a standing start!

I've begun the Le Mans 24h A-Spec project and it'll probably take that week to complete. I'll let you know when the situation gets back to normal again.

Finished two days in advance, 390 laps and ~40 sets of tyres are history now. Back to normal operation!

Your two new cars are almost Group X Touring Cars, even with slightly different power levels their tunes would transition to a Group X Touring Car well, just as soon as I parity match them.:sly:

Had the opportunity to try out the 2000GT-R yesterday. I tested it at GVS, Suzuka and Monza.

The car is actually great fun to drive and I think that you largely managed to make it quick, fun and still let it show its age well. Managed a low 2.09 time on GVS, so actually closer to your posted times than usually.

When you look at the car, the first thing to strike you is the pretty smallish contact patch of wheels to road. And keeping it historically accurate, means lots of roll - in fact manage that well and you are most of the way there to do fast times in the car. Dive and squat on the other hand seemed largely absent.

In long corners, such as the second and last ones at GVS, the 130R and 200R at Suzuka or the Curva Grande and Parabolica at Monza, the car is wonderfully stable and much more planted than could be expected from its ancient underpinnings. In all of those it was possible to gain time on the more modern competition (I used the lvl 18 Japanese Championship for testing). The key to good lines through such curves is an early (but relatively gentle) turn in, and if you do not touch kerbs (or possibly mid corner bumps, not that there were any for real testing on those tracks) the rear will stay nicely in line.

Back to roll - I am sure you could have minimized it and gotten a faster car as a result, however that would simply make it a modern, anonymous experience and obliterate the car's DNA. As it is, the car will not exactly fly through corner combinations - the roll unsettles it a bit so you either let it do its own thing (i.e. let go off the throttle), which means a fairly benign and stress free passing of corner combinations, or if you want faster times, manhandle it through. A well judged quick 'dab of oppo(site lock)' will suffice to battle the roll induced oversteer, if you misjudge it a bit (and I am sure this is less of an issue with a wheel than the DS3), the back will oscillate for a while before settling again - just letting go off the throttle is usually not a solution here anymore.

Taking the second section of GVS as an example, the corners between the first sector time measurement and the first tunnel will usually go quite smoothly if you avoid the kerbs, if you go over them without throttle application or at least in a fairly straight line - kerb hopping and steering at the same time is too much for the suspension. Getting on the gas too early out of the first tunnel will also produce monumental amounts of smoke. :D

If you approach a relatively slow corner without applying throttle, the basic balance is slight understeer (low grip at the front), not of a FF variety but enough to necessitate a slightly early turn in. The understeer is instantly correctable by unsettling the car by a throttle prod (or kerb or bump), which works fairly well for accellerating out of slow corners for instance. If you want a fast time, a fine judgement is required, though, as the grip afforded will produce more wheelspin than traction if you are not careful. Generally the roll induced oversteer is easily controllable, it just costs time. The good thing is the car gives you options and allows for different approaches to corners for drivers with different driving styles.

So understanding the limits of the car is probably key (speak of a tautology) to fast times - it is not a modern 4WD wonder, which will flatter the driver no matter what.

Finally, the really biggest surprise for me was the braking. In this respect the car is like your MX-5 - you can leave the braking very late and I often gained most in outbraking opponents into slow corners (1st and 3rd at GVS, Rettifilo at Monza, Degner, Hairpin and Casio at Suzuka). I am not sure this is historically completely accurate but sure makes for a very effective machine.

If I recall correctly, in real life the car's direct predecessor (KGPC10) used the 'late braking throttle prod' technique as well to allow for overcoming the basic understeery balance (apparently more of an issue there than with this car) in racing.

Overall a really pleasant historical car, which is fast enough to embarass much newer machinery over a variety of circuits, and is both easy to drive yet takes concentration to get the most out of. Of the three circuits, Suzuka was most of a challenge - on the other two I would be first over the course of the first lap already (in Monza within the first sector). But beating a '02 NSX Type R, various Evos and Scoobys and Z cars with a machine from 1973, which at the end of the day has less power than most of the opponents, is a pretty special reward in its own right.

Finally, I suppose it works best on flowing circuits, those which are not too bumpy, and the odd high speed braking corner will help its competitiveness, too. :)

Last edited:
kingmoshoeshoe2, your reviews are simply amazing. im just a lurker but this thread made me sign in and post. not because i derive "Mad FinnTuners Co.&#8482;" their potency in fun/skill driving tunes. but because your reviews really captures a driving experience. all in all great tunes and obviously great fans.

&#65279;RUF BTR '86 "Robin" Review
Parts Only (default settings)
Woah!! Lift off oversteer, power oversteer, high speed oversteer, low speed oversteer, mid corner oversteer. Is there any type of oversteer I’ve forgotten to mention? If so, please fill in the blanks because this car has every kind of oversteer known to man!

Unfortunately I can’t provide any more in-depth comments than “oversteer”, because I spent the whole time behind the wheel tiptoeing around and correcting a million little rear end slides! Default gearing would have been too short, if I had been confident enough to push the car harder through the final corner.

My best lap time of was 2:01.3, which is so far below the car’s potential. Not so much a “best lap” but rather a “least amount of time spent on grass” lap...

MFT Settings
Tamer than the stock settings, but it’s all relative. By any other measure the Ruf is a homocidal savage. Let MFT’s “expert" rating serve as a warning!

Oversteer slides are still plentiful, but much controllable now. Now that the (*cough* hideously ugly) rear wing has been cranked up to maximum rear grip is improved. Braking distances are worse than default settings, perhaps this is a compromise to help avoid looking at the corner ahead through the side or rear windows! Despite the RR layout, power-down is poor. Even 3rd gear can get the rears spinning. Speaking of gears, this tune was produced back in the bad old days of “top speed only” gear adjustment; I found 2nd too short and 3rd too tall.

Lap time 1:57.5. To summarise, I believe this tune changes the Ruf BTR’s rating from “impossible" to “expert". Which is definitely a worthwhile improvement.

Leo, just out of curiosity, do you think there is anything special about setting brake strength to 0? (eg is the change from 1 to 0 the same as changing from 2 to 1? or is there a unique effect when setting to 0?)

This indeed is one of the early tunes. I honestly believed that setting the brakes to 0/0 would help to keep that big butt there where it belongs under braking. Just like back in GT4, RUF BTR is still an animal, and I do not believe that there's any tune that can change that fact. As you noticed, it still breaks away happily despite of the almost stickiest tyre available. While it's not the fastest way to get around track, it sure is the most fun, and when you manage to do so without a spectacular crash, the feeling of satisfaction and relief is a reward in itself, no? :lol:

The BTR was one of my favorite drift cars back in GT4. I just bought one for the German series so I'll have to give your tune a shot.

while we're talking ruf's i've seen elsewhere that other tuners have called the yellowbird the "tuning everest" i havent tried any other tunes yet because i was hoping MFT would take this mountainous car and bring it to it's summit...is this really a hard car to tune...what would make it so hard. i am guessing the engine placement has something to do with it...also what are some easy changes tuning wise that one can make to easily take a car from say Cape Ring to Daytona...i enjoy my cars to be quick off the line and handle flawlessly but when i bring them out around the big "O" i am easily left in the dust by top speed maniacs and their racing machines...if i raise the mph on the transmission the accel. performance goes down...is there another quick fix i can do??

kingmoshoeshoe2 - For once I'm happy seeing someone not keeping a promise! :lol: But yes, I didn't even try to make it a completely sterile, soulless "thirteen in a dozen" model as all cars don't have to handle the same way. The funniest moments are just those that are created by, for example, not lifting at the GVS "swimming pool" section but keeping it floored and fighting it through. The chance of crashing is admittedly high but that's what makes it special - it actually allows you to have an effect at the outcome. It also seems to reward good driving more than many others for the very same reason.

ironmanthing - Perhaps some day we will see if it's any good. And no, there aren't any magic fixes, if you want top speed you will lose acceleration. Unless you bump up the power too but if the car its already at maximum power there's little you can do.

and when you manage to do so without a spectacular crash, the feeling of satisfaction and relief is a reward in itself, no? :lol:
Indeed, I thanked my lucky stars each time I managed to enter the first hairpin pointing in (vaguely...) the right direction!

I believe it is even harder to tune the Ruf in GT5 than GT4. Because back in the GT4 days, installing a rear wing meant you could magically also remove all the front downforce :rolleyes:

And when tuning Ruf's, one needs to assume that the driver knows how dangerous it is to lift off the throttle!

Last edited:
Car Of Tomorrow '10

892 bhp, 773 Nm, 1565 kg

caroftomorrowfront_th.jpg
caroftomorrowrear_th.jpg

I've stumbled upon this tune on GT5-Tuning.com and clicked on it because I was curious what a "Car of Tomorrow" could be.

All I can say: it's a blast.

My Bob constantly failed (used the level 26 one, which is shared now) the B-Spec Nascar challenge (restricted to RH tyres) and with this tune my other Bob, which is level 23, totally smoked the competition. It took him 2-3 laps to get the lead and he then constantly increased the gap, even lapped some cars on Indianapolis. It was close in Daytona but that's only natural - he didn't really give away the lead from the 6th lap on, literally only for some seconds before he overtook the other car on the outside of the corner yet again.

I didn't even bother to set the gear ratios manually and just used the pre-made ones, since I wanted to know if it's still working - it would've been even better then, I guess. I'll definitely try that in A-Spec the next days.

Please keep in mind that the car will receive at a rather insane level and you will have to guide Bob through the race. He can't control it on his own anymore, that's how much power it is literally setting free.

For anyone interested, here are the speed settings for each track of the B-Spec Nascar series. I've won every race by a wide margin after I've had decided to use the tune on a brand new 2010 Jeff Gordon #24 DuPont Impala instead of changing the settings on my 2010 Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 AMP Energy Impala. I've only changed the top speed but nothing else, just to reiterate that once again.

5484228130_ca0cca2ff6_z.jpg

Indianapolis Speedway - 390km/h - 1st place
Grand Valley Speedway -340km/h - 1st place
High Speed Ring - 370km/h - 1st place
Laguna Seca Raceway - 330km/h - 1st place
Daytona Superspeedway - 400km/h - 1st place

EPIC TUNE! *bow*

Last edited:
keckekofot and Greycap - you know you should not encourage me ;)

I have also tested the Toytota 2000GT-B during the weekend - this is where Leonidae's eyes will start glazing over, I suppose ;)

I drove it on GVS and Monza, will try it on Suzuka at some point as well but felt I needed a rest after those two... At first I felt it would be a beast, judging from the carbonfibre coffins and tetanus shots comments in the section (the pictures only reinforced this). The first lap around GVS seemed exactly the opposite - much less oversteery than the 2000GT-R, can handle bumps and kerbs in corners well, yet still does not seem possessed of too hard a suspension (a bit French in its ability to soak up bumps). The impression strengthened when I found it easier to control slides at first, too. And it is sooo tiny - the pre-start camera angles make it appear lower than the 350Zs window line - like an elongated Kei car - say a Cappucino with a longer nose and a fastback.

OK, so what is the final verdict? (keeping it short and all) :)

Steering on bumpy sections or over kerbs can be done without problems. The car feels much more chuckable than the Nissan, too - so in essence more modern. Acceleration is a bit stronger and I would record top speeds of over 250kmh (15 more than the Nissan) before braking for turn 1 at GVS. Apart from the NSX Type R no other car would be able to pull away on the straigths (again lvl 18 Japanese Championship was used as reference). The basic balance through corners - not powering through - is also much more neutral than the 2000GT-R, so no need for early turn-ins or unbalancing the car. In essence, if you string a perfect lap together, it is a formidable little machine.

The problem is in that IF - and honestly I failed to do that so far. My best time around GVS was ~1.5 seconds slower than with the 2000GT-R (in spite of managing quicker times in all of the sections - different laps, however) and it took several tries at both GVS and Monza to finally produce a win in the races. The car's defining feature is lift off oversteer and it takes a while to learn how to manage it (for a n00b like me), on top the historically accurate but occassionally hairy weak braking performance makes it all the more difficult to achieve that elusive perfect lap.

Provided the front tyres are gripping, it is a very precise point and shoot car - it will go exactly where you tell it to. However, if they don't... This is especially noticeable if you do not do your braking in a straight line. Turning inputs at the entry to the Ascari chicanes or the second Lesmo curve at Monza will be punished by a four wheel drift likely to land you in gravel (and you might as well restart the race at that point). While the 2000GT-R certainly allowed (even flourished under) the dive bombing approach to braking into corners, you want to have your foot well removed from the middle pedal before turning the steering wheel in the Toyota. And when turning it, a slow and precise movement is truly advised if you want the back to generally follow where the front is pointed. I suspect if there is a car to really benefit from using the wheel and pedal setup, rather than the DS3, this is it.

Of the fast and flowing corners, where the Nissan worked so well, the Curva Grande on Monza was the only one where I never had any problems in the 2000GT-B. All the others caught me out one or more times - still have not quite nailed the Parabolica for example.

Saying you emerge sweat drenched after driving the car is of course an exaggeration but it does tire you out, demanding constant vigilance and precise inputs. It does get easier with time, once you learn to brake in a straight line only, make sure to always do so in time, and to be gentle and slow with the steering (apart from when you let go of the throttle, might as well pick up your steering pace then, if you do not want bits of vintage Toyota flying all around). It certainly deserves the higher difficulty ratio, when compared to the Nissan but requires even more adjustment (in my humble opinion) compared to modern cars, to get the most out of it. You certainly feel like a (very relieved) champ once you win in this car, probably not quite to the same extent as with the BTR but at least in the same way. :D

Or would it be much easier with a wheel?

IMHO, it probably is faster and easier with a wheel and pedals which allow more precision that this car requires. Thanks for the in-depth review, I managed to read it when I had a mug of coffee available. :lol:

IMHO, it probably is faster and easier with a wheel and pedals which allow more precision that this car requires. Thanks for the in-depth review, I managed to read it when I had a mug of coffee available. :lol:

I will keep that in mind and PM you before I post a review, so I do not catch you unaware and you have the time to get one :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back