Mad FinnTuners Co. - Finished 081213 - The Final Countdown, 4, 3, 2, 1, OUT!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 1,705 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
The replay database is in the planning stages, as you can probably guess I'll do it properly when it's the time for it. Not every car will have a replay but many will. I might throw in some extra goodies too.

------------------------------

On the subject of the racing classics (the first one of which I'll post in the very near future) we've made a decision considering racing tyres. Seeing that nearly everybody uses Racing Softs anyway we'll begin using them on cars running on racing slicks from now on. I can already hear the screams about them giving unlimited grip, being unrealistic, turning the game into arcade, all the usual stuff. I have only two things to say to those people.

First, learn to push the car to its limits.

Comfort Softs allow 80 km/h through a corner, you try to take it at 85 km/h, and out you go. Now people think it's realistic because you exceeded the limit. Sports Softs allow 100 km/h through the same corner, you try 105 km/h and you're in the wall again. The same conclusion. Now, Racing Softs allow 120 km/h but you only dare to try it at 115 km/h. Poof, magical unlimited grip? No. Try 125 km/h and I can guarantee you'll total the car. I think "dare" is a good word, people simply don't push hard enough when they have the equipment to do it.

Second, this.

Try to repeat that in GT5 in any GT500 class car without power upgrades. If Racing Softs are as good as they're said to be every decent player should decimate the time with margin to spare but I don't think you can pull it off. I know I can't - I tried and failed miserably. With my Gold Standard trophy, to put things into perspective.

Opel Calibra V6 DTM '94

441 bhp, 309 Nm, 1040 kg, PP 555

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
Racing Soft Tyres

Overall cost: Slightly over a million and a half Cr, plus the possible overhauling

Aerodynamics
Downforce: 35 / 60

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 4.532
2nd: 3.201
3rd: 2.500
4th: 2.070
5th: 1.775
6th: 1.500
Final Gear: 3.250

Max speed: 270 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 5 / 10
Acceleration Sensitivity: 5 / 40
Braking Sensitivity: 5 / 10

Torque Distributing Centre Differential
Front / Rear Torque Distribution: 25 / 75

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 12.5 / 13.5
Dampers (Extension): 9 / 8
Dampers (Compression): 4 / 6
Anti-Roll Bars: 4 / 6
Camber Angle (-): 1.5 / 1.5
Toe Angle: -0.10 / -0.20

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 4 / 8

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

The original DTM began in 1984 with cars entered by privateer teams under FIA Group A rules but changed throughout the years, allowing more modifications. In the late 1980s works teams joined the DTM and it became one of the most popular racing series in Europe. In 1993 the Group A rules were abandoned in favour of a more liberalized 2500 cc engine category called FIA Class 1 Touring Cars with extensive use of ABS, four wheel drive, electronic driver aids and carbon fibre chassis, the former three being technologies banned even from F1.

And this is what happens when an Opel Calibra is subjected to those rules. Only the body is reminiscent of the original road car, the engine bay housing a V6 that revs nearly twice as high as the factory engine and puts its power to all four wheels through a sequential gearbox. The handling is more akin to a RWD than an AWD and pretty much the only situation in which you'll even notice the front wheels being driven is exiting slow corners - wheelspin? Where? Not here, that's for sure. The suspension has been fine tuned for a mixture of stability and manoeurability, and as a result it sticks to the road far better than you'd expect from a '94 model. In the hands of a determined driver it really raises the bar for four wheel drive touring cars and is probably the most technologically advanced Opel ever to grace the race tracks.

Last edited:
Alfa Romeo 155 TI Evoluzione DTM'93

434 bhp, 313 Nm, 1010 kg, PP 555

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
Racing Soft Tyres

Overall cost:750k From OCD + oil change.

Aerodynamics
Downforce: 35 / 55

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 4.227
2nd: 2.906
3rd: 2.171
4th: 1.714
5th: 1.416
6th: 1.200
Final Gear: 4.100

Max speed: 320 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 10 / 10
Acceleration Sensitivity: 20 / 30
Braking Sensitivity: 10 / 10

Torque Distributing Centre Differential
Front / Rear Torque Distribution: 30 / 70

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 15.0 / 14.0
Dampers (Extension): 10 / 6
Dampers (Compression): 2 / 2
Anti-Roll Bars: 7 / 7
Camber Angle (-): 2.5 / 2.3
Toe Angle: -0.40 / -0.30

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 4 / 8

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

Remember the time when Alfa Romeos were drivers cars instead of poser mobiles with diesel motors like they're now? This is the greatest racing Alfa Romeo from that era. It received slight mid-season power boost to deal with the parasitic loss from the AWD drivetrain, more aggressive gearing and aerodynamics to keep it planted on the demanding racing circuits like Nürburgring Nordschleife etc. While one might think that old AWD systems were archaic, clumsy and heavy, this Alfa 155 Evoluzione proves otherwise. It's lighter than the later Opel Calibra counterpart, and more agile as well due to shorter wheelbase. And let's not forget the sexy sound of this cars magnificent V6 that willingly revs up to 12500rpm. But, for a such high revving motor, it has astonishingly wide torque band, peak being at mere 7500rpm, which enables quicker departures from the corners without needing to browse through entire gearbox. Forza Alfa Corse!

I always thought the front end of that car made it look like it was ready for the hill climb at Pikes Peak..... to bad it's going to be paved now.

BLITZ_69
I always thought the front end of that car made it look like it was ready for the hill climb at Pikes Peak..... to bad it's going to be paved now.

The Alfa? I always thought it was like a very small staircase, you step on the air splitter thingy, then the bumper, then the hood and then on to where the sun roof should have been to let you into the car.

The replay database is in the planning stages, as you can probably guess I'll do it properly when it's the time for it. Not every car will have a replay but many will. I might throw in some extra goodies too.
The time has come. At first you'll go to an instructions page from which you'll get to the actual archive once you confirm having read (and understood) the instructions. The instructions were first given a trial run by our dependable test unit half asleep at roughly 2 A.M. and they got the job done so don't come cry to me that you weren't told clearly enough how to do it!

Extras are also included as promised, the first two should give a couple of pointers to people having trouble. More will come when there's something suitable to be presented.

Love tha Alpha Tune, on Eiger reverse Seasonal, (became my new new fav track after Nurburgring, always, not in seasonal :( except for British? only , anyways.
No assists except for ABS 1 (PD needs to allow smoother ABS 0 soon I hope)

best Lap time, 1:03.005

Love how the car can take some hairpains (1st long left after bridge, and last long left going uphill) at full gas.

Had to raise the FD gear ratio for this track, to lower top speed. Thanks for the tune.

(best lap = 58.5s on Audi LMS, but that car is too clumsy on this track)

Thanks for the tune.

There is just so much rail feeling , yet freedom of lateral movement with this car, that I feel the need for speed all of a sudden (Eyes Turbo option)

The Opel and Alfa. You nailed them both.
Your Alfa tune was over .500 quicker than my previous tune. Smooth as silk.
The Opel was a long lost friend that I have become reattached to.
Putting both of these on my favorites list. Thank again.

Love tha Alpha Tune, on Eiger reverse Seasonal, (became my new new fav track after Nurburgring, always, not in seasonal :( except for British? only , anyways.
No assists except for ABS 1 (PD needs to allow smoother ABS 0 soon I hope)

best Lap time, 1:03.005

Love how the car can take some hairpains (1st long left after bridge, and last long left going uphill) at full gas.

Had to raise the FD gear ratio for this track, to lower top speed. Thanks for the tune.

(best lap = 58.5s on Audi LMS, but that car is too clumsy on this track)

Thanks for the tune.

There is just so much rail feeling , yet freedom of lateral movement with this car, that I feel the need for speed all of a sudden (Eyes Turbo option)

Heh, I like this car too, it came out almost perfect! Thanks for the review, feel free to PM me a request for a custom tune.

The Opel and Alfa. You nailed them both.
Your Alfa tune was over .500 quicker than my previous tune. Smooth as silk.
The Opel was a long lost friend that I have become reattached to.
Putting both of these on my favorites list. Thank again.

You're welcome. It's always a pleasure to help people to get faster. Same rule applies, PM for custom tune if you have something in mind.

Hi again.

I've been running your Mines and R34 skyline tunes, and once again, very impressed.

The Mines I was surprised to find was tuned by Greycap, whereas it feels more like a Leonidae's tune - it has the power but it is also quite forgiving to drive around corners. The closer gear ratios have you firing quickly through the power shifting up/down, and hurling into a corner down-shifting in this car is just pure pleasure.

The R34 on the other hand has a a bit of crazy under the bonnet, and whilst being a heavy car, if you give it time to turn in, it will respond and roar out of the bends. Did I mention this car is heavy - it is, and feels it, but not blue whale on the beach type heavy, but more like you're the smaller participant on a see-saw - you have to push to fly up, but you get a nice boost on the way back down!

I also feel a bit sick, but it could have been from all the ice cream I bought with the change from the above...

So did you guys switch passwords to post these 2? :)

Can't wait to get home and try the Alfa and the Calibra around the reverse Madrid course. I've been running a stock Alfa and loving it, so looking forward to the MFT version.

thanks again.

PS - One final thing - the M3 that Leonaidae tuned for me in response to a review I posted here is a beast. Pure driving pleasure I think used to be a BMW slogan(?), and the MFT tuned M3 is a bloody fantastic drive.

Last edited:
"Greycap"]Opel Calibra V6 DTM '94

Two words to the setting above, "spot on" but the gear ratio not the same due to upgrade. So I used the default gear setting is still enough to win the league.

The car just glue on road n turn where & when you like! U can brake later then the AI. The default ratio shifting are quick no lag too!

If possible, can Greycap advise any revise gear ratio? Thanks n cheers.

If possible, can Greycap advise any revise gear ratio? Thanks n cheers.

There isn't much I can do seeing that those are v1.10 ratios. I tried three times and was able to get each one of them right every time. I have to say I was a bit puzzled to see everything working perfectly, waiting for a problem to arise. :odd: Give it one more try, in the exact order specified and it should work.

Oh well, at least the text is a bit better now with less American English included.

krioto - I guess it's just that I got the better handling starting point for a change. :lol: Looking at the settings reveals it to be very much my car while Leonidae's car is equally much his work, the Mine's just grips so much better that even I couldn't turn it into a chainsaw killer. Had I made the "normal" R34 the action on track would probably look a lot more like this.

r34stig.jpg

just tried the Alfa round Rome and it drove beautiful! adjusted brakes to my liking and it was perfect. so much grip on the throttle I will try it onthe Nurburgring and really test it. just don't like that leafblower engine :D

edit: just took it to Sarthe and passed everyone including that CLK before the end of the first lap. very fast car. managed 6:59:706 on the Ring even with hitting the AI at the start and a big crash + few messed up corners. fast, but doesn't like the high curbs so be careful

Last edited:
Good to hear that the Alfa works well anywhere! :D It's a successful setup, then..

I tried out the Alfa tune last night.
I took it round la sarthe.
Did a couple of laps as standard only a little down force added. Then tried it with your tune. First lap I took 2 seconds off my best time. Second lap I took another 6 second off my lap time as I realised just how well it stuck to the track in the last bendy section. I'm sure I could get a couple more second off too.

Great work guys.

Last edited:
Divine DTMs

Firstly, the Opel Calibra.
I'd not driven this car previously, so I took it for a quick run around the Madrid reverse course seasonal track. Like the other stock DTM's , it's a nice drive, smooth and fast, and no trouble handling on the RH tyres. Nice comfortable win.

I then slapped on the MFT tune, and the RS tyres.

No contest - if it was good before, it's a super-handling beast now. The amount of grip enables phenomenal cornering speed, and it's just as comfortable in the bends as it is on the straights.

I did find, however, after a couple of laps, that the front-down-force was just too strong, and did inhibit cornering ability somewhat, once I'd gotten used to the car and began to push it a bit. I knocked it down 5 ticks, and this seemed to sit better with me.

I didn't take notice of the pre-MFT lap times, but after a few laps, 1.21.XX around Madrid reverse was comfortably achievable, and I probably could have squeezed a little bit more out of it had I the time.

Not much more to say really - this is a superb handling car, and has the BHP to rip apart the competition on the straights as well. Very nice tune.

Now to the Alfa.
The Alfa is my favourite DTM car - I love the sound, the high-revving engine, the looks and the handling - it's just a terrific drive. So much so that I had to buy a new one for the MFT tune, as I didn't want to be without the stock excellence.

Pre-tune - lap times around Madrid reverse ~ 1.25.XX - not too great, but not too shabby either - running with RH tyres, and my rickety DS3.

Post-tune - lap times dipping into 1.22.XX but consistent 1.23's - NOTE that I did not apply the RS tyres to the Alfa.

Well, what to say - it improved my times, quite a bit, which was very pleasing, and this time I knew it was nothing to do with the tyre selection. I think the beauty of this tune is the changes to the gear ratios. Stock, the Alfa can take a bit of warming up to get through the gears - the MFT tune removes this, and makes the car dangerous even on the long straights, which I previously found to be the Alfa's weakness against the other DTM cars.

The cornering excellence has been improved - and I thought it was great beforehand, but MFT have made it even better. The Madrid course has a number of long, 2nd gear corners, and I noticed I was able to hold a better line through these bends than with the stock settings, approximately 10-20km/h faster as well.

Finally - it's an ALFA!

Thanks go once again to MFT for taking the time to tune these cars, and another job well done.👍

Last edited:
I tried out the Alfa tune last night.
I took it round la sarthe.
Did a couple of laps as standard only a little down force added. Then tried it with your tune. First lap I took 2 seconds off my best time. Second lap I took another 6 second off my lap time as I realised just how well it stuck to the track in the last bendy section. I'm sure I could get a couple more second off too.

Great work guys.

You're welcome. Feel free to PM me a request if you have a car in mind that needs a setup.

Divine DTMs

Now to the Alfa.
The Alfa is my favourite DTM car - I love the sound, the high-revving engine, the looks and the handling - it's just a terrific drive. So much so that I had to buy a new one for the MFT tune, as I didn't want to be without the stock excellence.

Pre-tune - lap times around Madrid reverse ~ 1.25.XX - not too great, but not too shabby either - running with RH tyres, and my rickety DS3.

Post-tune - lap times dipping into 1.22.XX but consistent 1.23's - NOTE that I did not apply the RS tyres to the Alfa.

Well, what to say - it improved my times, quite a bit, which was very pleasing, and this time I knew it was nothing to do with the tyre selection. I think the beauty of this tune is the changes to the gear ratios. Stock, the Alfa can take a bit of warming up to get through the gears - the MFT tune removes this, and makes the car dangerous even on the long straights, which I previously found to be the Alfa's weakness against the other DTM cars.

The cornering excellence has been improved - and I thought it was great beforehand, but MFT have made it even better. The Madrid course has a number of long, 2nd gear corners, and I noticed I was able to hold a better line through these bends than with the stock settings, approximately 10-20km/h faster as well.

Finally - it's an ALFA!

Thanks go once again to MFT for taking the time to tune these cars, and another job well done.👍

You're welcome again, buddy. :D You know the drill 👍

Ah, good to see you're starting to get the attention you deserve :D The power of the Seasonals :lol:

Leonidae@MFT
You're welcome. Feel free to PM me a request if you have a car in mind that needs a setup.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.
I'm going to try out a few of your other tunes now. Probably work my way through most of then. You picked some great car to work on.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers
Cactus.

Last edited:
Ah, good to see you're starting to get the attention you deserve :D The power of the Seasonals :lol:

Perhaps. I think I'll suggest Greycap that we'll start doing seasonal specials every now and then.. 💡

___________________________​

:D

It's finally up, guys. If you'd like me to minimize clutter in your thread, I'll remove the above image and leave the link. Review is basically done for the Evora, but I want to get the other two out of the way as well before I post them :)

Excellent! Thanks for this piece of art and advertisement, I've been waiting for this eagerly.

just wanna stuff a little thank you here, just got back the car they tuned for me as a prize for a review...

The thing is a beast! i never knew a big Jaaaaag could move like that, i knew it had some potential deep down, but it's a completely different car now, thanks guys!
I'm surprised there's not more people using that car.

just found it there will be now

Speaking of the Seasonal specials, if anyone happens to need something for the Real Circuit Tours my well hidden Peugeot 908 HDi FAP will walk the series without breaking a sweat if the driver is any good. And by "any good" I mean being able to keep the nose pointed to the right direction.

I have one BMW M3 Coupe '07 ready for delivery. Problem is, I do not have the recipients name on it as the thing was agreed over a chat.. I think it was Krioto who wanted this bimmer, thus, once he responds to this, I will send it over.

edit: oh, wait, I already did an M3 for Krioto.. Then who the heck wanted it? :irked: This is exactly why I ask to send the request via PM, dammit.. I'm an old, cranky man and my memory isn't what it used to be.

I have one BMW M3 Coupe '07 ready for delivery. Problem is, I do not have the recipients name on it as the thing was agreed over a chat.. I think it was Krioto who wanted this bimmer, thus, once he responds to this, I will send it over.

edit: oh, wait, I already did an M3 for Krioto.. Then who the heck wanted it? :irked: This is exactly why I ask to send the request via PM, dammit.. I'm an old, cranky man and my memory isn't what it used to be.
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 Never said a more truthful sentence than that :D Well………if he didn't claim it……could it be revealed to the public? :D

Not yet. I delivered it to Apok, he was the one who wanted it. Now, who wanted Alfa Brera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back