Mad FinnTuners Co. - Finished 081213 - The Final Countdown, 4, 3, 2, 1, OUT!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 1,705 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I can, having just made a comeback to Indy grinding after several months and now armed with the '11 #14 Impala. Every setting (even the gear ratios) finds its place exactly as before and the car drives just like it used to do. Therefore I can guarantee it 100% compatibility.

As promised, the review of the Nissan GT-R Group A Evolution '07. I drove this after the N1 and agree completely with the assessment that the latter is an easier (and in my hands faster) drive.

I tried the Group A on the same two tracks that I tried the N1 on, namely R246 and Trial Mountain in the Supercar seasonal (I did not manage to do the Tsukuba event yet). While I managed to win both events without really breaking a sweat it was certainly harder work and for me the lap times were around 1.5 seconds slower in this car than the N1 I drove the day before.

It will certainly be faster on the straights, the extra power definitely helping there. This of course also means longer braking zones and some braking necessary in areas where the N1 passes at full throttle.

On the other hand the corners are another matter altogether. If I judged my braking completely right and did not come into the corner too fast, it had quite good grip levels and acceleration out was strong (typical for the breed, I guess).

If the speed was a bit too optimistic the car displayed loads of understeer. Lifting would result in the nose getting even further off the desired line, before resuming along a trajectory always slightly further off towards the outer edge of corner than I wanted. The only real possibility of tucking the nose in was a tap on the brakes but really the much faster way was to know the right entry speed and be done with the braking prior to the turn (again this is with my driving).

One slightly unpleasant characteristic of the car, especially apparent in R246 at Akasaka Palace, was the lack of rear downforce - the whole car was quite unstable during high speed dircetion changes. This made the high speed corner speeds around 10kmh slower than the same ones with the N1 (all my corner speeds were slower in the Grooup A). I am sure that better driving may have decreased this differential but it was also less consistent and much less surefooted through this corner as well as through the last one on Trial Mountain. I managed to spin the car twice at Akasaka Palace on R246 during 10 laps, a fate I did not previously suffer in any GT-R. Maybe i need to resume some driving lessons with Greycap again ;)

In any case, I managed to win both events, against opponents such as the R390, Veyron, 458, Zonda 7.3, XJ220, etc. so it is undeniably a fast car. As far as I go, the slightly tamer N1 is just easier to handle and the ~50hp deficit is easily made up by the stabler rear end and the more predictable front during turn in (thanks to some downforce).

If I do manage some more time with GT5 again, looking at your 'model laps' is definitely on the cards - would certainly like to turn the A Group into more than a muscle car in my hands. 👍

Mazda MX-5 ClubSport'07 Review- At first I was skeptical of choosing this car to try. I used to believe Miatas were for people who wanted a sportscar but couldn't handle one, that it wasn't capable of real performance. But after a few minutes behind the wheel all my previous misconceptions had gone away! I was pleasantly surprised at how well the car handled. It drove with the responsiveness of an r/c car turning on a dime, but still affording you the luxury of being able to kick the rear out on demand. At first, I questioned the exclusion of a fc transmission or even a close ratio one. I even came back to check that I had written the parts list correctly. But upon my arrival at the track, I understood the decision. The acceleration was solid and even throughout. My only complaint is, IMO the wing is just plain ugly on this thing. A surprisingly fun car to drive. Great handling and responsiveness. Not too uptight that you can't have fun in it. You might still get laughed at for driving a "girl" car though...

Indeed. The FC is a beginner setup in many ways.. It allows beginners to get a feel of slightly more powerful RWD car, and doubles up as B-Spec training vehicle as I did my best to make it unspinnable in the hands of those leadfooted geniuses.. :lol: Wll, I assume you know the drill ;)

Indeed I do thank you.👍 I believe I'll hold off on a request for now though. I'll be trying out a few of your other tunes for the time being. Anyway, I feel I owe you guys quite a few more reviews for all I've benefitted from your hard work in gt4 without any feedback. Thanks again. Keep up the great work!👍

Yes I can, having just made a comeback to Indy grinding after several months and now armed with the '11 #14 Impala. Every setting (even the gear ratios) finds its place exactly as before and the car drives just like it used to do. Therefore I can guarantee it 100% compatibility.
Thank you. I'm happy to hear that, I love driving that thing on the Ring.

Nissan 370Z Gran Turismo 5 Ltd. '08

No sooner had i bought the car and set to your numbers a friend ask me join him online. The race was set at 525 pp, Trial Mountain. Never having driven this car, i was eager to try it out. Normally i would take a tune to a private room and run many laps to get the feel for the car. A tweak here a tweak there. During warm up i was all smiles, the car felt great. But how could this be, i have never driven this car before and surely i would need to be tweaked.

The turn in was spot on, no over steer or under steer, just point the car in the correct direction and the car go where pointed. No surprises.
The mid corner balance had plenty of grip, no tires turning red or smoking.
The exit was full of grip and balance was near perfect. The transmission settings were great, smooth and always in the power band. But the best part is this car is fun to drive, predictable with a little attitude, lively in the turns, and as smooth as a bottle of 25 year old whiskey.

I finished 2nd in a car i have never driven or tuned. Just amazing. This setting is as if you tuned it just for me. Never have i just jumped into a tune and had such great results. i am not changing any numbers.

I have used numerous tunes from all of you and will continue to do so. thanks again for all your work.

I drove this after the N1 and agree completely with the assessment that the latter is an easier (and in my hands faster) drive.
They're different, very different. The N1 is certainly easier to drive but when you give it 90% effort it gives lap time X, and by the time you begin to give it 110% it still gives that lap time X. The best performance doesn't take brilliant driving to extract but on the other hand it doesn't benefit noticably from it either. The Group A then, give it 90% and you'll get lap time Y. Give it 110% and you'll shave off a second, perhaps more. It takes a lot more than basic driving to really shine but if the driver can make full use of it it's likely to be slightly faster than the N1.
But how could this be, i have never driven this car before and surely i would need to be tweaked.
It can be because it's tuned well. :sly: No really, these modern sports cars have so much grip, especially in the rear, that I actually had a hard time making it less soulless - all it originally wanted to do was to grip, grip and grip a bit more. In the end it reacted to some small changes very well and showed behaviour more suitable to a trackday car. You just proved that it works well as such.

Greycap,

do not get me wrong - it is not that I did not enjoy it and your explanation is spot on. With 90%, which is about as far as I get at the moment, I could extract more out of the N1 than the Group A. I can certainly see in which places I could extract more out of the Group A but will need more time to do so :)

In the meantime, the third of the 'new' (from my perspective) Datsuns, namely the Nismo 800R '02. I was quite intrigued by your description, as well as by the time and the Advanced rating.

In essence it is a funny car, with some of the characteristics I discovered in both the R35s from your house. It is easier to control than the Group A, if not as easy as the N1, but unlike with the N1 (and like the Group A) it takes work to extract the best out of it.

I tried it on the R246, Trial Mountain and on Tsukuba of the Supercar challenge, like the others, and the results were a clear win at Trial Mountain, a slightly less commanding one at R246 and a second place at Tsukuba (will simply blame that one on the W12 Nardo (OK, it is my driving) ;)

Again like with the Group A, it is essential to judge the corner entry speed right, there being fairly little one can do to vary the line once committed. Keeping the throttle mashed or lifting will both produce the same result and braking needs much more than a tap to really get the car turning in further. Not sure if a wheel and pedal setup enables you to get the rear end into play a bit more to counter the mild understeer experienced (and as written in the instructions, if you ask too much of your tyres, you do so at your own peril).

As your cars generally, it is very stable under braking and if the track is not exactly Nordschleiffe narrow, you can apply full throttle fairly early when exiting bends. I found it also impossible to get th rear loose in any of the circumstances, which will definitely build confidence on faster circuits.

At R246 I managed to build a nice lead on the straight bits but that pesky R390 always managed to claw most of it back in the twistier sections. Given that I remained ahead this was fine and at least kept me engaged sufficiently to not be too heroic, as that would have meant losing the lead. The only corner where care was required was the slight kink at Turn 11 (final straight). I did not manage it flat out but a slight lifting before ensured you did not meet the wall, while a lift during or slightly after ensured the exact opposite ;)

At Trial Mountain the only really surprising feature (apart from the warp acceleration) was that the fronts lost contact with the ground just after the second sector timing post - the first time I got completely airborne, on subsequent laps only at the front. No reall issue if you have the fronts pointing straight upon landing, though.

Finally to Tsukuba. While it was one of the first circuits I managed to semi conquer (in the days when staying on track was the primary measure of success), I find it difficult to really fly there in a high powered car. With my driving a slightly more playful rear end would probably have suited me better at that circuit (but not necessarily the others) and I found it difficult to apply full throttle in several sectors, as the car would just slowly but surely understeer off track at 80R for instance.

In any case, a good case for how a high powered Skyline GT-R can be completely tame at the same time. 👍 Will need to work at it (just like with the Group A) for full success, though :)

Good to see that you could get the best out of it.👍

I might revise that setup someday, make it bit more agile, twitchy, nervous, lethal if possible.. Shame that it can't have more power though.

Hey,

I was setting up the Lexus LFA '10 tune, and it seems that you've forgot to list titanium semi-racing exhaust. With the current list of parts, i only get 657 BHP, 1233kg and pp579. If i add semi-racing exhaust, BHP rises to 677 and PP 583, like the tuning post suggests. Just wanted to confirm that semi-racing exhaust really is part of the tune.

Lexus LFA'10 "Shinden"

677 bhp, 549 Nm, 1233 kg, PP 583

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
New Wheels, BBS RE-MG
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Fully Customizable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Lamborghini Murciélago LP 680-4 SV/J '09

675+ bhp, 675+ Nm, 1268 kg, PP 600
Painted in Verde Draco from Lamborghini

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
Front Splitter & Skirts Type A
Rear Diffuser Type A
Front Extensions Type A
Rear Wing Type A
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour)
Sports Exhaust
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Torque Distributing Centre Differential
Fully Customizable LSD
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost: Around half a million Cr

Aerodynamics
Downforce: 5 / 15

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.869
2nd: 2.660
3rd: 2.079
4th: 1.700
5th: 1.425
6th: 1.192
Final Gear: 2.750

Top speed: 320 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 5 / 5
Acceleration Sensitivity: 10 / 30
Braking Sensitivity: 5 / 10

Torque Distributing Centre Differential
Front / Rear Torque Distribution: 25 / 75

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 20 / 30
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 8.5 / 9.0
Dampers (Extension): 8 / 6
Dampers (Compression): 3 / 5
Anti-Roll Bars: 2 / 3
Camber Angle (-): 1.5 / 1.5
Toe Angle: -0.10 / -0.15

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 5 / 8

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

As the Murcielago is being phased out from its position as Lamborghini's flagship model it deserves one last chance to show what it was capable of, to see if it still can run with the new generation. Thus was born the LP 680-4 SV/J, a descendant of the legendary Miura P400 SV/J.

The engine tweaks were limited to a minor exhaust improvement, there being no real need for anything more. But the weight shedding program started with the normal LP 670-4 SV was taken to the extremities and another 300 kg shaved off for an end result that makes grocery getters look heavy in comparison. The suspension was fine tuned to provide more grip to put all that power to the ground while the drivetrain was strengthened to make sure nothing says "snap" under hard acceleration. Of course those new parts received some attention to improve the handling even further... and the package was finished off with a wing that makes the factory option Aeropack wing pale in shame and carbon fibre canards, splitters & skirts. The big bull may be gone but it's definitely not forgotten.

Last edited:
Hey,

I was setting up the Lexus LFA '10 tune, and it seems that you've forgot to list titanium semi-racing exhaust. With the current list of parts, i only get 657 BHP, 1233kg and pp579. If i add semi-racing exhaust, BHP rises to 677 and PP 583, like the tuning post suggests. Just wanted to confirm that semi-racing exhaust really is part of the tune.

Said car was completely driven in, which meant that the horsepower had raised to the listed level. Drive the car for 300km/200 miles, then you will have the same power without ruining the sound of the car.;)

Upon seeing what will accompany the Murcielago in the near future some of you may think "why wasn't car X used as the other one of this pair" but the answer is very simple - regardless of is latest technology and the benefit of being a much younger design than the Lamborghini, it just failed to perform.

Said car was completely driven in, which meant that the horsepower had raised to the listed level. Drive the car for 300km/200 miles, then you will have the same power without ruining the sound of the car.;)
Ah, forgot about that aspect of the game. :) Yes, it truly does slaughter the sound, so i'm happy that i was incorrect. :sly:

Ferrari 458 Challenge Stradale'09

689 bhp, 623 Nm, 1232 kg, PP 605
Painted in Blu Abu Dhabi from Ferrari

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
Front Splitter & Skirts Type A
Front Extensions Type A
Rear Wing Type B
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Fully Customizable LSD
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost:~300k

Aerodynamics
Downforce: 10 / 25

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.020
2nd: 2.154
3rd: 1.673
4th: 1.370
5th: 1.165
6th: 1.000
7th: 0.860
Final Gear: 3.835

Max speed: 310 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 40
Acceleration Sensitivity: 20
Braking Sensitivity: 10

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): -10 / -10
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 6.0 / 6.5
Dampers (Extension): 10 / 10
Dampers (Compression): 2 / 4
Anti-Roll Bars: 7 / 5
Camber Angle (-): 2.3 / 2.3
Toe Angle: -0.40 / -0.40

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 6 / 10

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

Porsche 911 (997.2) GT2RS, meet your worst nightmare. This is our vision of what the future 458 Challenge Stradale would be like, should Ferrari choose to go down that road instead of the slightly more refined Scuderia, like they did with the 430. This is all thrills and no smoke and mirrors racer for road, and as efficient as it just can be. It easily screams past 200mph, and slices through long sweepers at 120mph+ then slows down like someone dropped an anchor, turns and blasts off towards the next challenging set of corners at a rate of speed that would make a dead man scream. The only nod towards tree hugging hippies and flowerhat ladies is the stock exhaust, that keeps the sound of motor at legal levels for road use. While the counterpart relies on brawny power and immense grip of AWD to make you grin, this one will simply use the technology to produce G-forces that will make you look like the Cheshire cat.

Hmm - so the Gallardo wasn't up to scratch??

Both these new tunes are as usual awesome - I'm finding the 458 to be a bit frisky, but the top speeds you can hit in it are fantastic. The SV is perfect on Spa - I forgot how fun all wheel drive drifitng can be!

It indeed is a bit of a speed demon that dislikes lower speeds. But, once you master her, she will serve you willingly.

Your wish has been heard. ;) :mischievous: But, they might actually be more scary to drive than these two. :nervous:

Your wish has been heard. ;) :mischievous: But, they might actually be more scary to drive than these two. :nervous:

Cool - very good!

I also set up your Countach tune - this car is simply wonderful. I expected a hard to control beast - it is a beast, but oh so nice to drive. And you can't beat that 20th anniversary styling.

When I first set it up, the lack of rear-wing made me tremble slightly, but it's not needed - this is a classic super-car with improved handling to boot.

I was impressed too how well that old Countach turned out, especially when they're often described to handle like truck and be very unforgiving at the limits. But this car turned out to be the best, relaxing B-road bruiser without the nervous tendencies of Ferrari.

RUF BTR '86 ROBIN REVIEW
Conditions: DS2 controller, steering sensitivity 0, v2.00, offline, grip reduction real, tyre/fuel off, Grand Valley Speedway

Parts Only (default settings, except LSD 5/5/5)
*edit* whoops, forgot to turn my rough notes into some form of understandable prose before!
Having recently spent some time with a Yellowbird on racing softs, the difference in handling of the BTR was surprising. The Yellowbird didn't trademark Porsche lift-off oversteer, but this BTR does. The BTR is more stable in all other situations though. Lots of dive and squat was present. And, like any RR, once the rear starts to slide you've gotta be aware that there's a lot of mass back there swinging in the breeze. Mild power understeer in some situations.

Even at low speed, there's a fine line between excellent turn-in and spinning out! One very strange phenomenon I noticed in the tunnel was the front grip came and went a few times. I've often seen front grip temporarily reduce after turn-in, but never multiple cycles of is through a corner like this. Somehow it felt like car was underdamped and bouncing on its springs through the whole corner.
*/edit*
Lap time 1:58.9

MFT TUNE
Expert rating? No kidding! MFT has taken the more stable BTR and turned it into a fearful Yellowbird-esque widow-maker. Much greater agility goes hand-in-hand with a more oversteery basic balance. Once things start deviating from the plan, the driver faces a complex choice: more steering, less steering, more throttle, less throttle. The only universal truth is that braking in such a situation is a very bad idea! The weird coming and going grip thing in the tunnel has thankfully been dialled out somehow. To take the edge off the steering response, I turned down the controller steering sensitivity from 0 to -2. But, surprisingly, the car was actually easier to control with the higher setting.

Speaking of controller users, the massive accel value lighting up the outside rear means Instant Power Oversteer, even on partial throttle. I can see that it's a good way to overcome the car's tendancy to power understeer, but using a controller and with such a peaky engine means that spins are always on the agenda. In the end, I found that LSD settings of 40/15/45 were more "thumb-friendly", allowing me to push closer to the limit and exploit the slingshot acceleration of 2nd gear. But the lap time improvement below (in unmodified MFT-spec) speaks for itself.

Lap time: 1:55.1

I really admire that you have the cahones to release such a knife-edge tune, and I only wish I had the driving skills to make use of it properly!

Last edited:
Just wanted to pop in and give some feedback on my customer request tune provided to me by Greycap. I've finally gotten around to driving my Delta.:bowdown:You've done a wonderful job addressing all of the issues I had with my car before.The understeer is gone, replaced by extreme manuverability. And it has a good little bit of power to scoot around the track with. Excellent tune!!! Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back