Mad FinnTuners Co. - Finished 081213 - The Final Countdown, 4, 3, 2, 1, OUT!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 1,705 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the Elan is almost annoyingly quick car for its power rating, mostly because there's next to none weight to hold it back anywhere.

And 240RS which I got my birthday has to be tailhappy hooligan.. It's a roadgoing rallycar after all.

Last edited:
Short and sweet review coming up.

TVR Tuscan S.6B '00

460+ bhp, 500+ Nm, 885 kg, PP 595

Superb tune.

From TVR's reputation, I was expecting this to be a wild beast, understeer on corner entry, lots of oversteer on corner exit, but, thrashing it around Madrid for several laps, I found none of those.

What this car is is a stable, predictable and grippy stripped-out race car. It takes corners with composure and poise, no fuss, no drama. Corner entry is sharp and direct, mid-corner is very stable, no understeer, and corner exit is surprisingly composed.

Madrid lap times were around the 1.20.xxx mark, impressive for a car under 600pp.

I think I fiddled around a bit with the settings (stiffer springs and dampers I think) to suit my driving style and make it just a tiny bit more tail-happy, to eradicate the slightest trace of understeer, but all in all, another fantastic job MFT.

Oh and by the way, did I mention I clocked a PB of 1.16.8xx today on Madrid using an uprated version of your GT-R SpecV tune? :lol:

Last edited:
Well done! 👍 Bit later today, we shall unleash a pair from the MFT mythology. Back in GT4 they started with Racing Mediums and full power, then were re-tuned and were even faster on sports softs, and now they're back.. on sports softs. They're sleek, lean, mean sports coupes, but not that common ones.

From TVR's reputation, I was expecting this to be a wild beast, understeer on corner entry, lots of oversteer on corner exit, but, thrashing it around Madrid for several laps, I found none of those.
Really an oddball, that one. The car that is. While the stock one is beyond all hope of making it turn the RM stepped up and filled the shoes of the legendary Cerbera LM like it was born to do that. Just about no vices and a pure sports car at its best.

I actually held it back quite a bit, it would have withstood a good deal more power (which would also have helped with turning it with throttle) but I had to make it look like a remotely fair game with the NSX. :lol:

I actually held it back quite a bit, it would have withstood a good deal more power (which would also have helped with turning it with throttle) but I had to make it look like a remotely fair game with the NSX. :lol:

Remotely fair game? Good joke :lol:

Mitsubishi FTO Ralliart'99

301 bhp, 282 Nm, 979 kg, PP 474
Painted in Passion Red from Mitsubishi

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
New Wheels, Enkei JS+M
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Fully Customizable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost:~200k

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.287
2nd: 2.040
3rd: 1.561
4th: 1.230
5th: 1.000
6th: 0.855
Final Gear: 4.312

Max speed: 270 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 30
Acceleration Sensitivity: 30
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 7.0 / 4.0
Dampers (Extension): 10 / 6
Dampers (Compression): 4 / 10
Anti-Roll Bars: 7 / 2
Camber Angle (-): 2.0 / 1.5
Toe Angle: -0.50 / -0.50

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 3 / 7

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

Why yes, it's 300bhp FWD. Yes, it tips scales under a ton.. Yes, it revs to 9000 which is a jolly good achievement for a V6, and no, it doesn't have back seats. It also was Car Of The Year when it appeared, and it still has strong fanbase amongst JDM crowd for those who do not want a Civic, S2K or Miata. It's Mitsu FTO and this is MFT's take on possible Ralliart version.. When it's turned up to eleven.

TRD Celica Sports S '00

283 bhp, 249 Nm, 970 kg, PP 470
Painted in Super White II from TRD

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
New Wheels, Advan RG II, finished in Super White II from TRD
Window Weight Reduction
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Fully Customizable LSD
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost: Around 200.000 Cr

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.825
2nd: 2.038
3rd: 1.615
4th: 1.350
5th: 1.165
6th: 1.000
Final Gear: 3.500

Max speed: 230 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 5
Acceleration Sensitivity: 20
Braking Sensitivity: 10

Suspension
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 6.5 / 5.0
Dampers (Extension): 8 / 5
Dampers (Compression): 3 / 5
Anti-Roll Bars: 3 / 4
Toe Angle: 0.00 / -0.20

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 4 / 8

Driving Options

The last generation Celica was a car that always felt like out of place for me, it had lost the racing pedigree of its ancestors and most of the performance as well. It was a car that came too late for a market that would be gone only a few years later.

TRD put some effort into it, however. Then we took what they had created and tweaked it further. The result is certainly interesting, a car that feels like it has too much power for its own good without that being the case. It wants to understeer and oversteer, even both at the same time, but in the end it won't do either. And among all those odd feelings it somehow manages to maintain cornering speeds that enable it to run competitively with cars to which it should present no threat. Definitely one of those that only reveal their true colours to the clock.

Since I get along with FF cars quite well and seem to get along with your type of FF tuning the best, I thought I'd give the FTO a spin.

FTO Ralliart-
300hp in a FF, some understeer is to be expected. But none is delivered. Instead, the front turns willingly and will respond to just the slightest touch. It feels nervous at first, the steering feels weightless and loose, but that's part of the fun. The lift off oversteer is constantly there should you feel the need to loosen up a bit, and when you want it, it does so with strange exuberance. Strange, because of the FF platform, but unbelievably enjoyable.

Drive it like a track car however, and it feels determined, confident and eager. Understeer is not, ever, the word of the day with this thing. Wheelspin? Maybe, but it's only slight and if anything, adds to the excitement of driving it. It may be an old and overused cliche, but this handles like it's on rails. More than that, it feels like it's been rooted to the track, nothing really unsettles it. Until you want to unsettle it, of course. But otherwise, it really does grip and go like a 4WD. Rare thing to see from you lot, if I may be so bold, rarer still is that it's occurring here, in a 300hp, nose heavy FF.

Overall, this is the kind of car amateur tuners like me could only dream of building. A powerful FF which manages to do everything. Fun and fast when you feel like hooning, grippy and predictable when you want to race. The balance and natural feeling from this does make me wonder…"Is this possibly the best FF tune I've driven to date?"

I think so…

Funny thing is, that this FTO started out as 450PP Nurb special car, meantt for one lap blasts against other 450PP-class cars. All I needed to do for this was to up the power from ~280bhp to the current reading and remove some ballast. But do not dismiss Greycap's TRD Celica. Due to some wizardry that I cannot fathom, it is faster. It feels more uncertain, as if it doesn't know what it wants to do. It has less power and less torque, but still.. Its faster. :irked: I'd still take my FTO though. As you noticed, it inspires confidence and with confidence comes speed.

Tomorrow, couple 500PP cars will be published. They're both fast, but achieve it in vastly different ways.

Two oversteery tunes were tested out today... You guys nearly lost one of your reviewers to the guardrail in the process :lol:

First, the Ford GT SHO, and Super High Output indeed. The mammoth accelerates extremely well, I think it's the first time I've caught the BANDAI whatever SC430 before the first bend on Madrid, so on straights it's brilliant. Diving into the corners though... Oh dear.
The GT manages to get corner entry right (sort of), then proceed to understeer severly halfway through the corner. Once you think you can plant the power however, the back tires turn to smoke and you're drifting...! A lairy car this is, and it's not in the fun way. Losing control at 160+mph on slight bends is terrifying, and I almost ate the guardrail and flipped once...
Can this beast not be tamed further?

Next up was the slightly less powerful but equally as oversteery Lancia Stratos HF Stradale.
This thing sounds fantastic, first things first :lol: Looks good too. Aesthetics aside though, the Stratos feels light and nippy on the track, as it should do. Acceleration can put all of the 500PP+ bracket to shame, probably due to this thing weighing about the same as an almond...
In the corners though... Well let's just say that I would have eaten the guardrail had Nurburgring GP/D had any. Instead I just spun off into the kitty litter on the first corner. Learning my lesson, I took the next few corners more gingerly, but despite this, I still had several close calls where I had to wrestle the tiny tiny car back under my control.
Not for beginners this car. It is BUNDLES of fun though :lol: It may not be as fast as say a M3 at 500PP, but, like the Elan and the 240RS in my previous review, the Stratos takes fun to a whole new level. Provided you can control the tail. Otherwise you die. :lol:

The GT SHO... not my car so not my business to reply but it was one of those few cars by Leonidae I've really liked. :lol:

But the Stratos is very much my car as the handling already told you. One of the hardest if not the very hardest car to keep in check I've ever tuned in any GT but it's what gives it its charming personality... it's not a car for everyone but for those who it decides to obey it's an experience not to be forgotten.

The next pair (which certainly didn't arrive "tomorrow" but were delayed in a true GT fashion) are an odd duo. I managed to make something that is easy to drive and Leonidae managed to make something I like. Things like those don't happen every day. :P

Corvette C5 HSG'04

388 bhp, 535 Nm, 1414 kg, PP 500
Painted in Black from Chevrolet

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
New Wheels, Enkei JS+M
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customizable LSD
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost:Premium C5 Corvette + oil change+ suspension and drivetrain parts.

Engine Power Limiter
Power Level: whatever it takes to get to upper limit of 500PP.

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.850
2nd: 2.000
3rd: 1.500
4th: 1.200
5th: 1.000
6th: 0.856
Final Gear: 3.420

Max speed: 290 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 30
Acceleration Sensitivity: 25
Braking Sensitivity: 10

Suspension
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 10.0 / 8.0
Dampers (Extension): 10 / 6
Dampers (Compression): 4 / 4
Anti-Roll Bars: 5 / 7
Toe Angle: -0.50 / -0.50

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 3 / 5

Driving Options

Say hello to Corvette C5 HSG. Yes, its power has been restricted. Yes, it has stock weight and everything in the engine compartment ( sans the transmission and diff ) is stock. But, there's also suspension kit, and it has been dialed together with the transmission and differential to make sure that you can give this car to successful son or daughter on the eve of graduation from school and let him or her drive it safely at any speed. And that's where the HSG comes from; High School Graduate. Take it out for a spin if you don't believe that a corvette would be a suitable car for a kid fresh out of school, and prepare to be amazed.

Mitsubishi FTO Ralliart'99

301 bhp, 282 Nm, 979 kg, PP 474
Painted in Passion Red from Mitsubishi

I gave this tune a try on the last A spec seasonal at Cape Ring, run on SH tyres and lowered bhp to about 285, until it came in at 450pp.

I have to say, the FTO is a good drive straight out of the box and running stock gears, LSD and suspension it won first time. Yes, it understeers, but very manageable.

With your settings, the handling was much improved. Beautifully balanced in the tricky cambered corners and with the direct steering response, the car weaves its way through the field without any concern for safety, no matter where you catch the AI.

The only trace of understeer was on the last sweep of Cape Ring's ridiculous corkscrew when I had to ease off the gas to stop from hitting the barrier.

You've done a great job of making a very good car a lot better - I was almost two seconds per lap quicker with your settings. It's a lovely drive but as stated earlier, has a few faster rivals these days.

Two oversteery tunes were tested out today... You guys nearly lost one of your reviewers to the guardrail in the process :lol:

First, the Ford GT SHO, and Super High Output indeed. The mammoth accelerates extremely well, I think it's the first time I've caught the BANDAI whatever SC430 before the first bend on Madrid, so on straights it's brilliant. Diving into the corners though... Oh dear.
The GT manages to get corner entry right (sort of), then proceed to understeer severly halfway through the corner. Once you think you can plant the power however, the back tires turn to smoke and you're drifting...! A lairy car this is, and it's not in the fun way. Losing control at 160+mph on slight bends is terrifying, and I almost ate the guardrail and flipped once...
Can this beast not be tamed further?

At those power levels and those tyres? Perhaps.. It's an older tune, so it was done before the tyre physics update, like quite a few of our tunes. But it just wouldn't be same car.

I gave this tune a try on the last A spec seasonal at Cape Ring, run on SH tyres and lowered bhp to about 285, until it came in at 450pp.

I have to say, the FTO is a good drive straight out of the box and running stock gears, LSD and suspension it won first time. Yes, it understeers, but very manageable.

With your settings, the handling was much improved. Beautifully balanced in the tricky cambered corners and with the direct steering response, the car weaves its way through the field without any concern for safety, no matter where you catch the AI.

The only trace of understeer was on the last sweep of Cape Ring's ridiculous corkscrew when I had to ease off the gas to stop from hitting the barrier.

You've done a great job of making a very good car a lot better - I was almost two seconds per lap quicker with your settings. It's a lovely drive but as stated earlier, has a few faster rivals these days.

I liked it myself! It came out rather nicely, and it was good car to drive back in GT4 as well. And as you noticed, it works well on varying PP levels.

Take it out for a spin if you don't believe that a corvette would be a suitable car for a kid fresh out of school, and prepare to be amazed.

As long as I get to take it out first to warm up the tires, then maybe the kid can play. That first lap was fun, but in a way that means you're buying new tires weekly and spending an hour a day scraping rubber from the wheel wells. However, once the tires warmed up, this car was amazingly controlled, and was easy to drive fast while not leaving any tell-tale tire wear to have your parents question your driving habits (guilty as charged there... my dad kept seeing the badly worn outside edges of my tires... in my old pick-up truck)

As long as I get to take it out first to warm up the tires, then maybe the kid can play. That first lap was fun, but in a way that means you're buying new tires weekly and spending an hour a day scraping rubber from the wheel wells. However, once the tires warmed up, this car was amazingly controlled, and was easy to drive fast while not leaving any tell-tale tire wear to have your parents question your driving habits (guilty as charged there... my dad kept seeing the badly worn outside edges of my tires... in my old pick-up truck)

Must've been something wrong with the alignment, right? Right?? :lol:

Lotus Elise Sport 220 '04

221 bhp, 215 Nm, 760 kg, PP 500
Painted in Racing Green Metallic from Lotus

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
New Wheels, Enkei JS+M, finished in their original grey colour
Front Extensions Type A
Rear Wing Type A
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Fully Customizable LSD
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost: 150.000 Cr or so

Weight Adjustment Ballast
Ballast Amount (kg): 1
Ballast Position: 0

Aerodynamics
Downforce: 0 / 20

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.950
2nd: 2.100
3rd: 1.650
4th: 1.375
5th: 1.175
6th: 1.000
Final Gear: 3.850

Max speed: 250 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 10
Acceleration Sensitivity: 25
Braking Sensitivity: 20

Suspension
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 4.0 / 5.0
Dampers (Extension): 8 / 6
Dampers (Compression): 4 / 4
Anti-Roll Bars: 2 / 2
Camber Angle (-): 1.5 / 1.5
Toe Angle: -0.15 / 0.15

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 6 / 5

Driving Options

The old method of making Lotus cars used to be "simplify, then add lightness" and the S2 Elise is one of the last sports cars in the world to follow that formula. The crown jewel in the line up for the S1 was the Sport 190 so the S2 needed some new breath too.

So here's the Sport 220. As the name says, 220 wild horses behind the seats take care of moving the car that has really been simplified and then improved with some extra lightness bringing the weight down to 760 kg. The engine modifications weren't extreme by any means, they just lure out some more of the potential of the base powerplant. The suspension and drivetrain however consist of parts that have their roots in trackday Exiges and have been further refined for the less hardcore Elise. The result is a car that feels stupidly slow and ridiculously easy to drive but will blow your mind, not to mention that of the guys holding the stopwatches, by its absolutely wicked performance. In a way none in it makes sense but in the end... everything does. There's no doubt about mr. Chapman having had the correct vision about how to build a sports car.

Our thread is so awesome that it has a page that doesn't exist! :D Oh, wait, now I've ruined it, haven't I.. :ouch:

It's meant to be the playground for your ego. Mine resides in the empty posts on the first page, a Gemini naturally needs two. :P

Been away for a while but did manage a couple of hot laps in the Mistubishi FTO Ralliart '99 last night - definitely enough for a first impression.

I have been wanting to give the thing a try for a while but could not really decide on which one to go for; to be honest I was waiting for a tune and not really looking around if there was one out there already :)

Having seen the FTOs frequently while living in the UK and really liking both the looks as well as the idea of a tiny, high revving V6 it was an intriguing prospect to see a 'Finnish' take on the subject.

I know from experience that your cars with much less than 500PP will easily obliterate all comers on the TM seasonal, so tried it there first. It certainly does not turn in times comparable to the Lutecia or the Mazdaspeed but it confidently manages first on the second lap regardless.

On TM it is a wonderfully neutral machine, FF for sure but not in a way that will disturb one greatly. It is stable, never gets its rear end actively engaged and it is (in my hands) a tad quicker than your lightly breathed upon R32, which has a higher PP ratio.

It misses a bit of torque for the uphill sections and the top speed achieved is certainly about 10-15 kmh lower than something like the ITR. Still it is no slouch and will easily make up for the competition's straight line speed in the corners.

I found that a slightly slow(er) in allows for an early mashing of the throttle on corner exit, where the nose will tuck in nicely under power. If you do not brake enough, though, the nose will wash wide a bit, easy to correct by a lift or a tap on the brakes. In faster corners the attitude is not quite as adjustable but it carries speed fairly well.

I tried it on the Cape Ring 500PP seasonal next, where the car's character was definitely more playful. With some slight brutality it is easy to get the rear end out, but also equally easy to gather it all up, when you want the car pointing straight again.

For a car with no downforce the speed through the 'corkscrew' is surprisingly good, with only the last section requiring any lifting to avoid touching the barriers at exit.

Overall a very easy and confidence inspiring car, with a bit of 'naughtiness', when you want it, and a well controlled understeer for a FF. 👍

The only thing remaining is to test it against its TRD nemesis, and to bring both to GVS for a face-off :D

Hey guys! I've tested the Challenger R/T8 of yours, the review is right here. One post below is the notes to all the cars I've tested and on the 1st post of thread is a leaderboard with the times of all cars I've tested! Thanks!

The fastest out of those running on Sports tyres? Mission accomplished, I'd say...

The fastest out of those running on Sports tyres? Mission accomplished, I'd say...
Good job but "Isabella" was only a second behind despite having an extra 600+kg to move.:lol:

That can't be disagreed with, I give you that. One thing that makes me wonder though, my RT/8 was tuned to match the v1.0x physics model while Isabella is a product of the v2.0x era and after the change nothing handled like they used to... it probably differs quite a lot from how it was back then when it comes to corner behaviour. I may even conduct a test on the subject tomorrow.

Yep all those little and not so little changes do add up. By the way wasn't trying to start anything with the axe wielding dwarf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back