• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
You could say "Best and Worst" have been a trademark of mine on GTPlanet. Well, that continues as I want to turn attention over to classic game collections. This is November 5, 2008 (4 years, 11 months on GTPlanet for me). Plenty of games were released long before this date. Classic collections of games are nothing new. In fact, I could recall classic collections of old Midway or Williams titles for the SNES. Let's not forget the Namco Museum titles. So what if all people care about is dismembering bodies, playing annoying rock music with a guitar in DDR fashion, engaging in wild online play, and stuff like that? Times weren't the same then as they are now. Technology wasn't the same then as it is now. Even with games like the Gears of Wars series, the Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and even the Gran Turismo series, most of these classic games are the founding fathers of much better games in the future. Some people are even classic gamers that may still like today's titles, just not as much as yesteryear titles. GTPlanet, I want you all to discuss what some of your favorite collections of classic games are? What about the disappointing classic collections?

I will begin with favorites followed by least favorites.

--- Classic Favorites ---
The best of the classic collection games I've played are the Capcom Classics Collection series. A big reason why is because I could learn more about the games I play, see some artwork, and listen to some of the many musical tracks. Good for my TV that I could actually adjust the screen size to fit my big TV. My TV is very poor at showing off anything at the very edges of the screen. For example, your score and high score are usually far at the top of the screen. I can't make that out very well. Thankfully, I could stretch the screen so I can see everything on screen without having to wish I had a TV that shows everything at once. In fact, I wish all games would allow you to stretch the screen so you can better see everything on the far edges of the screen.

Especially with CCC Volume 2, the option of saving your game at random times is helpful. Otherwise, I'd have never beaten "Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo." I sure as hell wished I could do this with brutal games from CCC Volume 1 like the "Ghosts and xxxxxxxx" series, Vulgus, and stuff like that. I actually learned more about classic games I've played by going with this game series.

A recent favorite of mine has been Taito Legends 2. Playing Qix was very fun. Almost like being at a slot machine in Vegas using up all of your quarters and dollars. Growl may just be the craziest beat-em-up I've ever played. It's a game in which you feel like the whole world is against you. You almost feel required to bring along more people to beat this game. The game is basically about you trying to save wild animals from evil poachers. The basic enemy types are these poachers, these whip-toting poachers, and these mini skirt-wearing women that have no problem showing off their panties kicking the daylights out of you. Puchi Carat is kind of like Arkanoid, only without the helpful powerups and that you lose a life just by not hitting the ball as it comes down. Just a lot of good games.

--- Classic Disappointments ---

Hands down, Midway Arcade Treasures 3 is the biggest disappointment. Here's the lineup of games you get:

* San Francisco Rush 2049
* San Francisco Rush the Rock
* S.T.U.N. Runner
* Badlands
* Ivan Ironman Stewart's Super Off-Road
* Ivan "Ironman" Stewarts's Super Off-Road (Track Pak)
* Off-Road Thunder
* Race Drivin'

Personally, I was pretty disappointed. Big reason- you put in "Off Road Thunder" (a virtual unknown to me) instead of a much better game- Off-Road Challenge? And how can you talk about Midway racing games without the Cruis'n series? That, to me, is unacceptable. Also, "San Francisco: Rush the Rock" completely killed one of my all-time favorite racing games. I know how much I praise "Sega Super GT" a lot, but did you know that "S.F. Rush the Rock is one of my other all-time favorite arcade racers? Midway killed this game completely. Couldn't they have used the arcade version rather than this PS1-style inclusion? It was a great disappointment. Who the hell thought it was better to include "Offroad Thunder" as opposed to "Off Road Challenge?" "Offroad Thunder" is an (to use "Attack of the Show!" lingo) epic fail. Ugly graphics, boring gameplay, almost terrible music... it was absolutely terrible.

S.T.U.N. Runner, Badlands, S.F. Rush 2049, and both Super Off-Road games are fine. Basically, this game would have been a lot better had "Cruis'n USA" and/or "Cruis'n World" were included. Here's an analogy. This game is like an all-Nintendo collection... without any classic Mario game or classic Donkey Kong game. It's a terrible fail. Could have been much better.

I will release a similar thread in the future in regards to classics collections. But for now, what are some of the best and/or worst classic collection games you've played?

Best collection, I would say was Sega's Ages vol. 2 for the Saturn with the 2D Monaco GP. Played it at the friend's house and the 2D F1 one was a blast, didn't care much for the other games, just wanted to relive that old racer.

Worst is MAT 3 and I agree with you on that one, I hated that series. I too was dissappointed with Off-Road Thunder instead of bringing Off-Road Challenge. In fact I hated it a lot that I posted a review on ebay. Read below

"Full of bugs & flaws...
Review created: 09/03/07(updated 09/07/07)by: volt-cruiser ( 984)

See all reviews by volt-cruiser 1 of 1 people found this review helpful.

The games are classic quarter gobbling jewels but the their porting sucks horribly. Talk about bugs & flaws. On Midway Treasures 3, I can't believe there's no analog steering on Race Drivin' like the original. Never mind the missing desired analog for gas & brake too but this is a stunt game for God's sake and for that it needs at least precision steering control & the guys at midway simply decided a kiddish D-pad would suffice. San Francisco Rush Alcatraz is missing engine rev sounds, whether your running at idle or top gear at high rpm, your engine sound is a stupid constant hum! How can you overlook something like that? Random crashes and some games just froze on me like San Francisco 2049.

Let's go to Arcade Treasures 2. Hard Drivin' worked fine xcept that once in a while you randomly lose steering control for no reason and you just helplessly plow into the grass! I bought this compilation for my favorite ones like the Hard Drivin' and Cisco Rush series. I haven't played other games yet so I don't know if there are other bugs or flaws on them (hopefully none!) but those gripes I mentioned are enough to piss me having enjoyed their original arcades. They may be overlooked by casual gamers (or even younger ones) but for avid ones like me, those problems are inexcusable & for them not to be polished in this day & age of technology specially these games being almost two decades old is just beyond me.

Review ID: 10000000004290055Was this review helpful? Report this review
Thank you for voting. "

Latest Posts

Back