PS3 General Discussion

Anyone knows or any speculations of the new PS3 slim might be slightly more powerful? More ram? Bit more Cell power? Maybe more Video Ram? What you guys think? How about it won't use HDD but SDD or some build in memory? Mic included in new PSThree?
I would also love to see the DS3 to be updated. I think the PlayStation Controller is the best in the world, I love the design, how it fits, the button positions, but at same time it's not perfect. I would love for the Sticks to be bit improved, as well the triggers, I got Real Triggers mod for 5 bucks, it fixes it, but it should be like that out of the box!

So my speculation.
Since PSP SLIM has more ram (or something like that) over the original design PSP1000 series, I think PS3-Slim might pull something similar. For some smoother game play, smoother Online Web Browsing, XMB, in game XMB, etc etc.. I also think they might pull more memory just for GT5 game, as well others that are coming up. Just like what they did with PSP SLIM and GOD OF WAR game. YOu can play GOD of WAR on both old and new PSP, but on new PSP its smoother.

So Sony might pull something like that. Bit more power, as well new PATCHED UP, Version 2 PS3 or something like that to fix all and add the things people want.

As well I bet it's going to be released before PSP GO as well maybe with the new Uncharted 2 game as a combo with mic ? As well no Combo.

Price. PS3 Original: $300 dollars. PS3 Slim: $400, also comes with MIC.

Last edited:
There are considerably larger drives I could always get for about the same price difference.

The only problem with buying a larger hard drive and upgrading down the road is you would have to re-download everything you downloaded from the PS Store, and IIRC, game installs as well.

The only problem with buying a larger hard drive and upgrading down the road is you would have to re-download everything you downloaded from the PS Store, and IIRC, game installs as well.

I think, but I may be mistaken, that there is a backup feature that allows you to copy everything on your PS3 onto an external drive, which you then re-copy onto your new hard drive after.

Hope that helps! :D

Super_Spig

Simple, connect it to your PC via a usb box, make an image in Acronis, copy the image to your new drive and bang, drive replaced. :D

Well, hopefully.

I think, but I may be mistaken, that there is a backup feature that allows you to copy everything on your PS3 onto an external drive, which you then re-copy onto your new hard drive after.

Hope that helps! :D

Super_Spig

Simple, connect it to your PC via a usb box, make an image in Acronis, copy the image to your new drive and bang, drive replaced. :D

Well, hopefully.

You can transfer music files, pictures, game saves, but not copy-protected media such as downloads from the PS Store, game installs, anything you bought and downloaded, won't transfer.

You can transfer music files, pictures, game saves, but not copy-protected media such as downloads from the PS Store, game installs, anything you bought and downloaded, won't transfer.

Sorry! I assumed that the backup feature copied everything! :ouch:

I best research next time!

Super_Spig

Sorry! I assumed that the backup feature copied everything! :ouch:

I best research next time!

Super_Spig

As did I :crazy: I was going to upgrade from 80GB to 500GB after I installed MGS4, only to find out I'd have to re-download eeeeeverything, which would take forever. Now I just use my PC as a media server so videos and music don't take up any precious space.

Anyone knows or any speculations of the new PS3 slim might be slightly more powerful? More ram? Bit more Cell power? Maybe more Video Ram? What you guys think? How about it won't use HDD but SDD or some build in memory? Mic included in new PSThree?
I would also love to see the DS3 to be updated. I think the PlayStation Controller is the best in the world, I love the design, how it fits, the button positions, but at same time it's not perfect. I would love for the Sticks to be bit improved, as well the triggers, I got Real Triggers mod for 5 bucks, it fixes it, but it should be like that out of the box!

So my speculation.
Since PSP SLIM has more ram (or something like that) over the original design PSP1000 series, I think PS3-Slim might pull something similar. For some smoother game play, smoother Online Web Browsing, XMB, in game XMB, etc etc.. I also think they might pull more memory just for GT5 game, as well others that are coming up. Just like what they did with PSP SLIM and GOD OF WAR game. YOu can play GOD of WAR on both old and new PSP, but on new PSP its smoother.

So Sony might pull something like that. Bit more power, as well new PATCHED UP, Version 2 PS3 or something like that to fix all and add the things people want.

As well I bet it's going to be released before PSP GO as well maybe with the new Uncharted 2 game as a combo with mic ? As well no Combo.

I highly doubt that Sony will up the performance of the PS3 for a few reasons, it is by far the most powerful console on the market already, they still claim that the vast majority of games do not come anywhere near the limits of it and finally Sony are still making a loss of approximately $40 on each unit sold, so spending more on it and charging the same would be crazy.
As for an in-built SSD instead of the removable Sata HDD I again doubt that as it is one of the features Sony like to boast about.
Even the recent rumors about a slim version seem unlikely. The only justification I can think of rolling out one so soon is that the technology is now more efficient and no longer needs so much cooling therefore allowing Sony to produce a smaller console and then taking advantage of economies of scale such as being able to fit more on containers, lorries etc.
Also I doubt any new controller models will be revealed because last time Sony started messing with them they got burnt. Although a highly accurate motion sensing controller may be revealed.
Other than that the only hardware I can see Sony revealing is another PSP GO/4000/2.
I'd say the PS3 division will concentrate more on software developements at E3.

Just my 2 cents, could be all wrong though. :dopey:

Last edited:

So my speculation.

My guess is that absolutely none of those things happen, and that the only hardware difference is the amount of fans.

I don't think this particular PS3 will have more power, but it's almost certain that future systems will come with increased capability.

Many many consumer electronics are following the Path of the iPod, adding features and power as you go, so long as it remains backwards compatible with older software and features.

They wouldn't change much, developers/publishers wouldn't like it and it would make those with older PS3s annoyed. An iPod is not a console, not to sound dismissive, but an iPod has a life of about a year in terms of fashion before something else comes out, the PS3 will be about 5 years.

Edit: Maybe I needed to bold that bit.

Last edited:
They wouldn't change much, developers/publishers wouldn't like it and it would make those with older PS3s annoyed. An iPod is not a console, not to sound dismissive, but an iPod has a life of about a year in terms of fashion before something else comes out, the PS3 will be about 5 years.

The following systems all received changes / and or upgrades throughout their lifecycle:

Genesis
GB
GBA
DS
PSP
PS1
PS2

I can think of a great number of consumer electronics that also received similar changes.

I understand your POV, but frankly, the market has changed, and adding features to a system, so long as it is already backwards compatible, is not something that "annoys" consumers. Generally they have no impact on the gameplay experience, and are supplementary only.

Also, the PS3 is going to be around much longer than 5 years.

I don't think this particular PS3 will have more power, but it's almost certain that future systems will come with increased capability.
Imagine that: They might even make it the way it was originally!

Jeremy Ricci
The following systems all received changes / and or upgrades throughout their lifecycle:

Genesis
GB
GBA
DS
PSP
PS1
PS2
I'll add to this: The are only 8 systems I can think of that didn't have redesigns, and 2 of those were complete failures months after introduction, and another didn't last long enough for a redesign to occur.

Erm - if you make an image of the old drive, and copy it to the new, then every bit of data gets copied. Images don't care whether you downloaded it from the store and so forth.

As did I :crazy: I was going to upgrade from 80GB to 500GB after I installed MGS4, only to find out I'd have to re-download eeeeeverything, which would take forever. Now I just use my PC as a media server so videos and music don't take up any precious space.

When I changed my HDD to a 160GB I used the backup function and it transfered all of my data, from video, picture and music files to all my downloaded content and game saves.

As far as I am aware the only things that will not work with the back-up tool are a small number of copy-locked game saves and any content from the Video Store (and that would affect only the US market currently).

I actually found the backup tool to work excellently.

Regards

Scaff

I highly doubt that Sony will up the performance of the PS3 for a few reasons, it is by far the most powerful console on the market already, they still claim that the vast majority of games do not come anywhere near the limits of it and finally Sony are still making a loss of approximately $40 on each unit sold, so spending more on it and charging the same would be crazy.
As for an in-built SSD instead of the removable Sata HDD I again doubt that as it is one of the features Sony like to boast about.
Even the recent rumors about a slim version seem unlikely. The only justification I can think of rolling out one so soon is that the technology is now more efficient and no longer needs so much cooling therefore allowing Sony to produce a smaller console and then taking advantage of economies of scale such as being able to fit more on containers, lorries etc.
Also I doubt any new controller models will be revealed because last time Sony started messing with them they got burnt. Although a highly accurate motion sensing controller may be revealed.
Other than that the only hardware I can see Sony revealing is another PSP GO/4000/2.
I'd say the PS3 division will concentrate more on software developements at E3.

Just my 2 cents, could be all wrong though. :dopey:

Yeah who knows ;)
I bet no new controller, or anything like that. It's just my wish list lol.

But, PS3 drop price and PS3 slim (more power or not) its very plausible.
SONY makes SLIM version of all their consoles and handholds is for one reason, to cut down cost on production. PS had one version I think of the PSONE(slim), PS2 had 3-4 version of SLIM LINE alone, PSP has as well a SLIM version. No reason for new and cheaper to produce PS3 slim. That is why I think PS3 SLIM is in making because like you mention, sony is loosing bit of money on each console, when making a new SLIM version, they now can save loads on parts and assembly, today those chips are 2 year technology lets say, so they already bit cheaper to make as well, I think as of this 2009 year, SONY is not really loosing money now on current PS3's if so the most 20 dollars, is the 40 dollars just a speculation or official world? I never seen new articles or blogs form SONY stating so. Sure it is very powerful system, but when you play a game, you open XMB with the PS button, there is some SLOWDOWN, just bit more powerful chip or more ram can fix that problem, and it wont cost them a lot of money. These days RAM is cheap, no one can have problems to upgrade PCs to have 3-4 GIGS of ram. How much RAM PS3 has? no reason for them to make it bit bigger.

And who knows, if PS3 SLIM wont have more power build in, maybe there will be a better improved Software or Firmware that can be also downloaded on current PS3s that increase and smooths and stables out the performance of the chip? That is very possible since we allready had numerous PATCHES for stabilizing PS3.

Last edited:
Yeah who knows ;)
I bet no new controller, or anything like that. It's just my wish list lol.

But, PS3 drop price and PS3 slim (more power or not) its very plausible.
SONY makes SLIM version of all their consoles and handholds is for one reason, to cut down cost on production. PS had one version I think of the PSONE(slim), PS2 had 3-4 version of SLIM LINE alone, PSP has as well a SLIM version. No reason for new and cheaper to produce PS3 slim. That is why I think PS3 SLIM is in making because like you mention, sony is loosing bit of money on each console, when making a new SLIM version, they now can save loads on parts and assembly, today those chips are 2 year technology lets say, so they already bit cheaper to make as well, I think as of this 2009 year, SONY is not really loosing money now on current PS3's if so the most 20 dollars, is the 40 dollars just a speculation or official world? I never seen new articles or blogs form SONY stating so. Sure it is very powerful system, but when you play a game, you open XMB with the PS button, there is some SLOWDOWN, just bit more powerful chip or more ram can fix that problem, and it wont cost them a lot of money. These days RAM is cheap, no one can have problems to upgrade PCs to have 3-4 GIGS of ram. How much RAM PS3 has? no reason for them to make it bit bigger.

And who knows, if PS3 SLIM wont have more power build in, maybe there will be a better improved Software or Firmware that can be also downloaded on current PS3s that increase and smooths and stables out the performance of the chip? That is very possible since we allready had numerous PATCHES for stabilizing PS3.

Sony have made slimline versions of all Playstation varients, but the time frames involved are worth a look.

Playstation - 1994 launch
PS One - 2000 launch

Playstation 2 launch - 2000
PS2 Slimline launch - 2004

PSP launch - 2004
PSP Slim and Lite - 2007

PS3 launch - 2006
PS3 Slimline launch - ?

The shortest time for a slim version of a home machine has been 4 years and we are still a good year away from that, even the PSP waited 3 years for a slim version.

Its worth noting these because the give a rough idea of what Sony may be looking at in regard to change-over points and to my mind we are about a year too early for a PS3 re-vamp.

In regard to the photes of the slim version that have been published, it looks more like a cheap Chinese knock-off than anything else. If they are real then the finish doesn't look great.

Regards

Scaff

Not to mention the PS3 logo on the images and box...

When I look at those pictures it always reminds me of this little bundle you can find in motorway service stations up and down the UK..

miwi_1.jpg

....the MiWi

How many kids birthdays/christmass' do you think that has managed to ruin.

Regards

Scaff

Sony have made slimline versions of all Playstation varients, but the time frames involved are worth a look.

Playstation - 1994 launch
PS One - 2000 launch

Playstation 2 launch - 2000
PS2 Slimline launch - 2004

PSP launch - 2004
PSP Slim and Lite - 2007

PS3 launch - 2006
PS3 Slimline launch - ?

The shortest time for a slim version of a home machine has been 4 years and we are still a good year away from that, even the PSP waited 3 years for a slim version.

Its worth noting these because the give a rough idea of what Sony may be looking at in regard to change-over points and to my mind we are about a year too early for a PS3 re-vamp.

In regard to the photes of the slim version that have been published, it looks more like a cheap Chinese knock-off than anything else. If they are real then the finish doesn't look great.

Regards

Scaff

Scaff

Since SONY might not be making money on current version, it's time for cheap production version. Late 2006 release, and its middle of 2009 now, But I bet it will be late 2009 release of slim, about 3 years so far, no need to wait 4 because it shows on charts. they Went form 4-3 years with PSP, now it's perfect timing.

Also Yeah sure it seems unfinished, but the pictures are just a shell, they might still add another shiny see through face plate just like PS3 has, and that silver face at front too.

Since SONY might not be making money on current version, it's time for cheap production version. Late 2006 release, and its middle of 2009 now, But I bet it will be late 2009 release of slim, about 3 years so far, no need to wait 4 because it shows on charts. they Went form 4-3 years with PSP, now it's perfect timing.

Also Yeah sure it seems unfinished, but the pictures are just a shell, they might still add another shiny see through face plate just like PS3 has, and that silver face at front too.

[sarcasm]Here I told you it wasnt going to happen, now just quit![/sarcasm] :dunce:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/18/slim-ps3-update-mysterious-chinese-firm-issues-a-cease-and-desi/

Engadget
You know, one of these days, someone at one of these big companies is going to get this right. If you send a cease and desist about "leaked" photos of a supposed device, you're basically saying, "Hey guys, those pictures are real."

If you want to reduce cost and make a production item profitable you don't re-design it to such a degree that you will need to re-tool almost the entire production lines. That's a significant cost investment in any production cycle, not something that is likely to save money.

To cut prodcution costs you strip out internal components that are not required, which happened to both the PS and PS2 before a slim version was released.

In regard to production time-lines I honestly think the PSP is miss-leading, its a handheld not a home machine.

Two items that if they were looking to reduce costs they would not do, its also rather strange (as Famine has already noted) that the PS3 font is of a totally different design. Changing an established brand ID in that way makes no sense at all.

I don't personally think we will see a slim version launched at E3 this year, guess we have a few weeks until we find out.

Regards

Scaff

Yeah lets wait and see what happens, who knows.
Maybe its some cover up story so that people like me get too excited about new SLIM version and that WE wont think about anything else, like big game titles, that way when SONY drops a bomb on lets say new Twisted Metal game, or something else we will be surprised.

There are always many rumors about something before E3s

Same with recent PD interviews, some say there will be weather, some say they wont or are working on it.. when E3 comes PD will drop bomb in a way no one expected it. I think it's smart moves for advert.

To add to speculation, a Chinese company has sent a cease and desist order to Engadget over their article featuring the photos of the "leaked" ps3 slim. Odd that it was a Chinese company though and not Sony.

To add to speculation, a Chinese company has sent a cease and desist order to Engadget over their article featuring the photos of the "leaked" ps3 slim. Odd that it was a Chinese company though and not Sony.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0905/game090519a.shtml

ps3-leak-box-1.jpg

PS3_Slim_Concept.jpg

ps3slim2.jpg

ps3slim3.jpg

ps3slim4.jpg

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0905/ps3-leak-box-1.jpg
http://www.the-magicbox.com/0905/PS3_Slim_Concept.jpg
http://www.the-magicbox.com/0905/ps3slim2.jpg
http://www.the-magicbox.com/0905/ps3slim3.jpg
http://www.the-magicbox.com/0905/ps3slim4.jpg

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0905/game090519a.shtml

www.the-magicbox.com
A few days ago some pictures of the rumored PS3 slimline 120GB model were leaked on the Internet, and yesterday the Taiwanese firm Li Mo & Associates to set a legal warning letter to various websites who host these images, to immediately take down images. The firm represents an anonymous client. Today more clearer images of the slimline PS3 were revealed. Here is the letter sent to these websites:

Dear Sirs,

As appointed by our client, we hereby inform you that the Web pages on your Web site (as attached hereto) contain some of our client's confidential documents and photos, which were highly possibly illegally released and posted.

We are investigating this violation and will bring all necessary legal actions regarding this matter. In order to protect the confidential information and prevent you from further legal issues and infringements, please immediately remove those pages and keep our request confidential. Thank you for your cooperation.

Your cooperation is deeply appreciated.

I think that the scope for the PS3 to slim down this time quicker than the PS2 is greater because it has alot of bulky things inside which have already (with the speed technology moves these days) become more compact.

The Blu Ray drive size can be significantly reduced to a laptop sized (apple slot load style) drive. The laser assembly is no longer overcomplicated and has 2 lasers chambers instead of one.

The heatsink can be made much smaller as the chips have got cooler, there is no need to have that massive (and impressive) one which was in the launch 60's. That probably takes up most of the units space.

All that coupled with no more card readers and removal of BC chips etc has made it really easy to move it all into a slimmer unit.

With the PS2 I think the reduction took much longer to achieve because of the era / electronic progress and also because the fat PS2 was not seen as overly large. The PS3 is seen as quite a big unit. Also the PS2 enjoyed rave sales unlike the PS3 which is why Sony would have not sought to better it in anyway.

This time they really do need to fight for every sale and making it smaller is one thing that they probably feel is needed more quickly this time around.

Robin.

I'm curious regarding where you mentioned no more card readers. There is quite clearly some sort of doorway on the front bottom right of the ps3. You can see it in one of the pictures of the bottom half of the outer casing where the persons hand is. I assumed that would be the card reader. Maybe that is the hdd slot now?

I'm curious regarding where you mentioned no more card readers. There is quite clearly some sort of doorway on the front bottom right of the ps3. You can see it in one of the pictures of the bottom half of the outer casing where the persons hand is. I assumed that would be the card reader. Maybe that is the hdd slot now?

IIRC the new ones don't have a card reader of any sort and that slot no longer opens...

another reason I'm very happy to have a launch 60gig ::smug satisfaction::

Back